October 22, 2014, 02:58:00 AM

Author Topic: Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto  (Read 9293 times)

fugu82

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: Quick release plates: RRS v's Manfrotto
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
As another aside, you may want to consider the BH-55 over the 40 with your 5D3.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2013, 06:17:49 PM »
As convenient as lever clamps are, all my clamps are screw-type so incompatible plates will never be an issue.

serendipidy

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2013, 06:50:46 PM »
One word of caution, lever action clams are wonderfully quick to use and very solid in their support of your camera, I LOVE my RRS.  They are however very picky about the dimensions of your L-plate dovetail, the RRS clamp will NOT hold a Sunway Photo dovetail firmly, it does however do very nicely with the Kirk components and obviously the RRS ones.  If you have a mixture of plates, I suggest you get the screw type clams such as the Kirk (nice quick action) or RRS's own screw style.  Your mileage may (obviously) vary but you'll love these plates and clamps.

RRS used to recommend only their own, Wimberley, and recent Kirk plates for their lever clamps. However, if you look at some of their clamps on their website, there's this notation:

NOTE: Starting in 2012, the Really Right Stuff B2 LR II clamp automatically adjusts to accept all Arca-Swiss style plates except Arca-Swiss P0 Slidefix plates and plates made by Novoflex. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have Novoflex plates.

That's for some of the clamps included with their popular heads, give them a call if it's not clear from the site - they're very helpful.

I have one of those cheap $100 tripod/head combos. I want to eventually get a good (final purchase) tripod and ballhead. I have been reading CR posts about recommendations. My take so far is RRS or Gitzo legs and AS plates with ballheads from RRS, Markins, Kirk. My question is which is better for the ballhead...lever release or screw-knob clamp. I don't travel much or hike so weight doesn't matter too much. Have 7D (may one day get 5Dm3) and 100-400L and 70-200LII. My height is 70".
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 06:59:10 PM by serendipidy »
EOS 5D miii, EOS 7D, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii, 100-400mmL IS

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2013, 07:17:17 PM »
One word of caution, lever action clams are wonderfully quick to use and very solid in their support of your camera, I LOVE my RRS.  They are however very picky about the dimensions of your L-plate dovetail, the RRS clamp will NOT hold a Sunway Photo dovetail firmly, it does however do very nicely with the Kirk components and obviously the RRS ones.  If you have a mixture of plates, I suggest you get the screw type clams such as the Kirk (nice quick action) or RRS's own screw style.  Your mileage may (obviously) vary but you'll love these plates and clamps.

RRS used to recommend only their own, Wimberley, and recent Kirk plates for their lever clamps. However, if you look at some of their clamps on their website, there's this notation:

NOTE: Starting in 2012, the Really Right Stuff B2 LR II clamp automatically adjusts to accept all Arca-Swiss style plates except Arca-Swiss P0 Slidefix plates and plates made by Novoflex. Choose a screw-knob clamp if you have Novoflex plates.

That's for some of the clamps included with their popular heads, give them a call if it's not clear from the site - they're very helpful.

I have one of those cheap $100 tripod/head combos. I want to eventually get a good (final purchase) tripod and ballhead. I have been reading CR posts about recommendations. My take so far is RRS or Gitzo legs and AS plates with ballheads from RRS, Markins, Kirk. My question is which is better for the ballhead...lever release or screw-knob clamp. I don't travel much or hike so weight doesn't matter too much. Have 7D (may one day get 5Dm3) and 100-400L and 70-200LII. My height is 60".

Lever type clamps are faster. If you are going to stay with the same manufacturer's plates, they are definitely more convenient. The trouble is, there are slight manufacturing tolerance differences which make some plates not fit tightly with other manufacturer's clamps. Screw clamps eliminate this possibility. They will grab ANY reasonably well made plate like a vice, because basically that's what it is. For camera plates you are better off with plates made specifically for your camera for a tight fit with no rotation. Mine are either Kirk or Promediagear. Lens plates however are far more generic. As long as they have an anti-rotation device, usually little "feet" at one end, I feel one brand is as good as another. I have one RRS plate, but all my others are generic cheapies from ebay. I have never had any device in the Arca system fail, clamp or plate.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2013, 07:30:39 PM by brad-man »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2013, 07:24:47 PM »
I have been reading CR posts about recommendations. My take so far is RRS or Gitzo legs and AS plates with ballheads from RRS, Markins, Kirk. My question is which is better for the ballhead...lever release or screw-knob clamp.

Agree - RRS or Gitzo legs, head from RRS, Markins, Kirk and I'd add Acratech and Arca Swiss to that list.

Lever or screw is really up to you - many (all the RRS ones, for example) are available with either.  A lever clamp is more convenient and faster to use, IMO.  Here's what RRS has to say:

http://reallyrightstuff.com/WebsiteInfo.aspx?fc=118

I use both - lever clamps on ballheads, screw clamps on the monopod and my Blackrapid straps.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Zen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2013, 07:29:07 PM »
As another aside, you may want to consider the BH-55 over the 40 with your 5D3.

I have the 5D3 with the heavy 70-200 2.8L II and the 400, and have no problem at all with the BH 40. It's a solid rig. The BH 55 will do the job equally as well, but is bulkier, and for your use, may be overkill.

Good luck.

Zen ;D

TonyMM

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »
I recently made the switch from Manfrotto RC2 clamp/plate to the Hejnar clamp (it has an exact configuration interlocking with the Manfrotto RC2 ball head post which completely eliminates any lateral shifting) and plates and L-plates from Kirk, RRS and Wimberley.  I was worried that other clamps that sit on top of the Manfrotto post (not interlocking with the horizontal bar) could be subject to loosening and lateral creep.

I use a Kirk plate on the bottom of my BlackRapid strap so that I can quickly unscrew/dismount the plate/strap and mount the L-Bracket on the Canon 6D onto the tripod.  I use a Wimberley plate under my 70-200mm lens.  The Wimberley has a unique mounting plate surface that stops any rotation.

Working very well - I didn't go with the RRS lever quick release to eliminate any question of accidental loosening of the clamp lever - and the knob for the Hejnar clamp is positioned under the lenses to eliminate any accidental loosening.  Quick enough for me and I believe is secure.  Incidentally, the notice on RRS site states that their clamp design now covers locking down on any Arca-Swiss type plates.  Not sure if they checked all the generic mfgr. plates out there, but they cover the major names.

Tony M

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2013, 07:46:12 PM »

mackguyver

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2013, 07:25:18 PM »
Well, I'm over $1000 poorer for it, but I made the full switch to RRS - BH-55 ballhead, L plates, lens plates...and what the hell....some pano gear, but I love it all.  The plates are solid, the ballhead notches are at 90 degrees instead of the bizarre 110 degrees or whatever Manfrotto uses, and panoramas are easy as pie.  Killer stuff - thanks for the advice I got here.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2013, 07:37:52 PM »
It's not that it costs so much, it's that it's worth so much!  ;)

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2013, 03:06:02 PM »
I, too, just made the switch from a few Manfrotto system components to the Arca-Swiss system. The benefit of my geared head (#410) was not reproducible at anything under about $1000, and while not perfect, I found useful the Manfrotto 322 side-handle ball head. I gave up on the Manfrotto L-Bracket as it was too cumbersome, although this particular version of the L-Bracket model did use the strong RC4 plate which never had any play in my uses. I never shot anything with this Manfrotto "L", but it was "the last straw" that caused me to just do the make-over: too big. It's for sale. The RSS L-unit for my 1DsMk3 is so trim I leave it on when taking the camera off the tripod for some of the shots on an assignment.

Because I was adapting Manfrotto equipment I found Chris Hejnar in Illinois who has a machine shop operation that serves photographers who need Arca-Swiss fittings of many kinds. (He takes pictures so got interested in this through his photography needs.) I kind of wish he had more Canon-specific plates, L's etc., but there are Manfrotto-to-Arca-Swiss products he makes to change out just the top of the head -- replacing the plate adapter that accepted the RC2 or RC4 under-camera plate.

There lots of other pieces he makes, too. I also bought a rail, a 90-degree two-fer, some plates for under-camera use. Stuff well packaged, labeled.
www.hejnarphotostore.com

My RSS L-braket tight and perfect in his clamp. I had not heard -- as referenced above -- that there are some incompatible A-S pieces. That's really good to know.

He returns phone calls, gives advice.

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2013, 03:44:25 PM »
I, too, purchased the Manfrotto L bracket and found it huge and unwieldy.  On the 5D Mk III and similar bodies, it doesn't even work in terms of vertical centering without a battery grip.  The RRS L bracket is awesome!  I fear that I have become an RRS addict in addition to a Canon addict now  :)

Mr Bean

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2013, 08:30:52 AM »
Okay, I'm now (happily) almost $1,000 poorer :)
I've just ordered from RRS the:
  BH-40 Pro II (with screw clamp)
  a base plate for the 5D3 (with BG)
  the L-plate (for the same combo)
  a base plate for the 300mm f4.

I've also ordered a QR plate (with QR clamp) to use on the Manfrotto 496RC2 I have, as I have that on a Gitzo monopod. After some discussion with folks at RRS and using their compatibility chart, I reasoned that the one that fits the previous model 486RC2 may fit the newer model. If not, oh well.

My aim is to head down the Arca-Swiss style on all my gear. Over the years, I've built up an odd collection of tripods, heads, etc. Time for me to clear out that collection :)

Thanks for the informative feedback, not just this thread, but in others that have recently covered tripods and such.
5D mk3 with grip, 300 f4 L, 100 IS Macro L, 50 f1.4, 50 f1.8, 40 f2.8 pancake, 35 f2, 1.4x TC III, Zeiss 15mm f2.8, 24 f1.4 L
580EX II, MT-24EX Macro Flash
EF 12mm and 25mm II Extension tubes

mackguyver

• Who Dares Wins
    • View Profile
    • My Personal Work
« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »
It looks like others might be avoid to avoid our unfortunate (and expensive paths) - Manfrotto to make Arca Swiss heads/plates:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7236

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: June 28, 2013, 11:42:29 AM »

ahab1372

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 28, 2013, 12:45:29 PM »
It looks like others might be avoid to avoid our unfortunate (and expensive paths) - Manfrotto to make Arca Swiss heads/plates:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/News/News-Post.aspx?News=7236
I call it good news for consumers. One more good choice in the AS universe

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »
I call it good news for consumers. One more good choice in the AS universe

+1 

I agree with Bryan/TDP - this removes my biggest issue with recommending Manfrotto gear.  Personally, though, I'm sticking with RRS...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: June 28, 2013, 01:03:51 PM »