April 17, 2014, 10:00:10 PM

Author Topic: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H  (Read 10769 times)

marinien

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
Re: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »
I saw the headline "new bigger savings from B&H". The lens I purchased yesterday, the 24-70 f2.8 ii is now $2099 vs $2049 I paid yesterday. How is this better??? My attempt at posting this earlier was blocked.

It's "bigger rebates on select lenses". Are you sure that the 24-70II is on the list  ;)?
7D | EF-S 17-55 | EF 100mm f/2.8 L IS Macro | 580EX II | Benro C3780T + Markins M20

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2013, 03:00:47 AM »

bholliman

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2013, 03:05:06 AM »
I saw the headline "new bigger savings from B&H". The lens I purchased yesterday, the 24-70 f2.8 ii is now $2099 vs $2049 I paid yesterday. How is this better??? My attempt at posting this earlier was blocked.

I see your point.  I've been watching prices and hoped to see a price below $2,049 for the 24-70 f2.8 II when I read today's headline.  But, the 24-70 isn't on today's list of discounted lenses.  That said, $2,099 is still a decent price. 

Congrats on a great price for a great lens!  Enjoy.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 03:08:45 AM by bholliman »
Bodies:  6D, EOS-M
Lenses: Rokinon 14mm 2.8, 35mm 2.0 IS, 85mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8L IS Macro, 135mm 2.0L, 24-70mm 2.8L II, 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF-M 22 2.0, EF-M 18-55mm, Extender EF 2xIII; Speedlites: 600EX-RT(2x), 430EX II

cr316892

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:53 AM »
over reacting much?

+1

Those are pretty reasonable deals from arguably the most reputable dealer in the US.  I don't see the harm in reporting decent (albeit not great) deals.  Especially when many of us are always on the lookout for our next piece of glass.

Again, I got the lower price. That is not what this is about.

Good for you.  I got the 85mm f/1.2L II for $1,799 earlier this year, and you don't see me griping about losing confidence in this forum or B&H.  It's economics 101... Prices change on a daily basis.

Again, those are fairly reasonable prices, and I'm glad they were posted.  Be glad you already got a good deal and leave it at that.

Not one single person is listening to what I am saying. I GOT the lower price. My lens was paid for at the lower price & will arrive Thursday. I found it offensive that the price was marked up, hyped as lower, my post pointing this out was blocked. Do you all work for cr rumors & B&H? Or is there someone else that finds raising prices and advertising it as the best deal offensive?
It's also possible that, since the prices change daily, the price was higher than $2099--say $2149--between the time you bought your lens and when you saw the ad for it.

I do understand your point, though. If it were true that a merchant purposely tries to fool you into thinking you were getting a better price than their regular price, I find that to be deceptive.

There's a mattress store, Sleepy's, that says (or used to say), "We'll beat our competitor's price, or your mattress is free!" Just think about that for about 0.1 seconds.

It's insulting that they would even try to lure in customers that way.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2013, 04:04:04 AM »
Raising prices before going on sales is unfortunately a very common phenomenon. It happens all the time with clothes, for example.

cr316892

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2013, 04:17:59 AM »
Raising prices before going on sales is unfortunately a very common phenomenon. It happens all the time with clothes, for example.
I'm not even insinuating that the price was marked up before it was marked down.

I'm saying it could be natural price fluctuation upwards, followed by a markdown.

Here's one simple scenario: a lot of these retailers have web crawlers that are constantly keeping track of what competitors' prices are. It could be that they saw a competitor had slashed their price on this lens, so they followed suit.

bbb34

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
Open your eyes
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2013, 04:29:08 AM »
You better get used to the fact that CR is not a private hobby anymore. It is a business that wants to make profit. 15k visitors per day according to http://digsitevalue.org/s/canonrumors.com . Advertising is the way to fund such a website. As long as the site can still inform and/or entertain you, it is fine. Just don't be naive and expect somebody else's altruism funding it for you. And yes, it is still you who has to compare prices before you buy.

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »
over reacting much?

No I don't think I'm over reacting. I got the lower price and my lens is in transit. I find it offensive that a new "better deal" is being hyped, that is not a better deal, and when I point this out, my post is blocked. Do you understand that logic?

The point is this: Every time someone clicks on that lens promotion for B&H from this website and then actually make a purchase from B&H money is made by the owner of the website. Since B&H is the largest reputable dealer in camera equipment, many links will be listed on this site and many others as it brings in income. This is not going to stop.
Buyer beware.....as always...but as someone pointed out, that lens is not in the promo.
Be happy...I bought the lens several months back for $2300!  :) It's a great lens and I have been using it a lot so, oh well!
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 06:20:33 AM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2013, 05:40:21 AM »

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2013, 05:45:52 AM »

Yes this sometimes happens. But why sweat the small stuff? You can paint yourself into a corner....

-PW

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: I have just lost confidence with DCM1024's ability to read
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2013, 06:09:17 AM »

It's "bigger rebates on select lenses". Are you sure that the 24-70II is on the list  ;)?

+1

@DCM1024, read much?  The 24-70L II is not on that list of bigger rebates.  When the rebates went into effect, pricing became subject to Canon's Minimum Advertised Price policy - if vendors fail to honor that policy, Canon can refuse to reimburse them for the rebate amounts.  With the MAP, prices on lots of lenses actually went up from where they were before the 'rebate' went into effect.  The point of CR's post is that on some lenses, not including the 24-70L II, B&H is now charging less than Canon's MAP, which is why you have to add one of those lenses to the cart to see the reduced price.

So, B&H decides to offer a better deal than Canon's 'rebates' on some lenses, not the lens you bought, by circumventing Canon's pricing policy, CR informs people about that, and you are complaining that you got a better deal by ordering the lens before the rebates started.

Since it seems your poor reading comprehension skills and oddly skewed sense of entitlement have caused you to lose confidence in B&H and Canon Rumors, I suggest you return the lens you bought to B&H, perhaps order it from Adorama (maybe you failed to notice that someone posted here on CR a while back a coupon code for Adorama that gave a price of $1929 for the 24-70L II, a far better deal than you got) and pay the $2099 current price, delete your CR Forums account, and move on with your life.

Thanks, and have a good day.  ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

crasher8

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2013, 06:14:30 AM »
I see her point, it is misleading. However it takes a bit of reading, watching and retail detective work (let alone knowledge of how this historically is played out most seasons/years) to get a grip on what's being done by B&H in regards to MAP and Rebates.

It's like reading headlines vs the body of an article.

I do however think she is overreacting.

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:53 AM »
Two things:

1. As others have said, the 24-70 is not included on that list of "New Bigger Savings"...which makes your point moot.

2. The current "in the cart price" for that lens at BH is 2049, not 2099 as you stated.  You do know that you have to add it to your cart to se the actual price right?

Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2013, 06:52:53 AM »

kyamon

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2013, 07:04:49 AM »
It seems to me that the OP was under the impression that Canon Rumors was some magic blog that financed itself from thin air and colourful pixels, and could thus operate completely independently from the rest of the (economic) world. Too bad it is not. But on the other hand, CR makes no secret that BH is financially involved in this undertaking - there are ads all over the site, and every review or article has a link to the according site from B&H. It is pretty clear what is happening here, isn't it?

Is that a problem? No, of course not. The blog is about Canon (rumors), not about Canon distributors and sales companies. The support from BH does not lead to any bias at all, since BH is not the only place selling Canon, and it is also selling things other than Canon. And I don't think CR ever claimed that the deals you are getting at BH are the best you can get. And most of the times that is probably also not the case - you will always find someone on eBay or Craigslist who sells you an 800 mm lens for $1200, supposedly in perfect condition. BH will not do that, I hope, nor is CR claiming that BH is the only place to buy. People who do buy there know why they do so, I presume (being in Europe I have no experience), and might even be willing to pay a few bucks extra because at BH they seem to know what they are getting. If you want the absolute cheapest you have to do the research yourself.

As many others said before, you got a better price, be happy. Maybe some moderator blocked your post because he had not yet had his morning coffee, maybe he accidentally clicked the wrong button, maybe you were using indecent language, whatever. The fact is that you have it here now, and that you seem to have idealised expectations from our world, where - unfortunately or not - money plays a certain role and is necessary to run businesses.

EchoLocation

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »
I get what you're saying OP.
I also think you're overreacting quite a bit.
If you have lost your confidence in this site, especially about something that isn't even a rumor, then that is your problem. This site is here to make a profit(at least I was under the impression that it was,) and if you cant handle the fact that sometimes they link you to "good deals" that aren't always the "best deals" then you probably shouldn't come around here anymore.
I for one, would like to thank the CR team for having such an awesome website and always keeping us up to date on Canon news. I think the CR team is great and I love all the work they do to give us interesting subjects to talk about.
I understand that sometimes they post things because of business decisions, and I'm ok with it. if you aren't ok with it, then keep making whining posts, or leave.
Canon EOS-M, 22mm f2, 11-22mm f4-5.6
Canon 550D, Sigma 50mm f1.4
Nikon D700, Nikon 24-70mm f2.8, Tamron 17-35mm f2.8-4

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »