September 17, 2014, 01:33:07 AM

Author Topic: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H  (Read 13242 times)

billnelson75

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »
I think the OP is holding CR and B&H to a higher standard than just about any website or business.  Their job is to make money, not always give you the best deal, or always have the best price on everything.  That is your job as a consumer to ensure you are getting the best deal. 

What are they supposed to say, "New Price!  Only slightly more expensive than we sold it for last week!"  LOL, every website/business out there makes it always seem like the time to buy is NOW!!!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2013, 07:37:45 AM »

drolo61

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2013, 07:39:15 AM »
@neuro

Well said 1+
5D & 5D3  -  50 1,4  -  24-70 2,8L II  -   135 2,0L  -  70-200 4,0L IS  -  100 2,0  -  24-105 4,0L IS

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2013, 07:47:14 AM »
Seems like there are a ton of apologists on here.

It doesn't seem to be a popular move to mention in the forums that rebate prices are horsesh*t (but it's the truth, isnt it?).

I track camera prices daily, as im sure some other folks do. Its always the same "deal" with canon rebates  ;D- prices go through the roof :o, add a rebate to it  ???, and you are generally still paying more than you would have the week before.  :-[ Many other stores do it with various goods, but how does that make this 'acceptable'? Some of you posters are better off just saying"deal with it", as that's where your rationale is going anyways.

Im a bit off put when i see deals headlines, then look at the prices and wince. Im not going to have a cow about it, but call a spade a spade. These deals are not deals by any stretch of the imagination.

I could care less about canon's MAP, that shouldn't be legal. It is deceptive, as most customers are not privy to the shenanigans and deals between manufacturers and retail. So that argument falls on its face. Sure, we can all be from the informed consumers set, but that still doesn't make it fair nor reasonable to the CONSUMER. And as a consumer, who the f cares how the prices got lower- we should always be looking for that lower price.

So, um, yeah, these rebates...um, yeah...great.... ;) ::)

PS- I like this site too  :D
Be the best you, screw everything else.

Maui5150

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2013, 07:57:44 AM »
over reacting much?

+1

Those are pretty reasonable deals from arguably the most reputable dealer in the US.  I don't see the harm in reporting decent (albeit not great) deals.  Especially when many of us are always on the lookout for our next piece of glass.

Again, I got the lower price. That is not what this is about.

Good for you.  I got the 85mm f/1.2L II for $1,799 earlier this year, and you don't see me griping about losing confidence in this forum or B&H.  It's economics 101... Prices change on a daily basis.

Again, those are fairly reasonable prices, and I'm glad they were posted.  Be glad you already got a good deal and leave it at that.

Not one single person is listening to what I am saying. I GOT the lower price. My lens was paid for at the lower price & will arrive Thursday. I found it offensive that the price was marked up, hyped as lower, my post pointing this out was blocked. Do you all work for cr rumors & B&H? Or is there someone else that finds raising prices and advertising it as the best deal offensive?

Run out of Summer's Eve?

Whoop De Doo.  So you got a better price...  And you didn't. 

Secondly, I don't see the 24-70 listed in the lower price list posted on CR.  And here is a hint... Sometimes companies only put a FEW items on sale... I just put the lens in my cart and saw $2049.  Funny... That is the same price and not more expensive.

The Fish Eye for example is $100 less than other posted prices, and heck that is almost an 8% drop compared to the 2% you are bitching about. 

What about the 50 1.2?

Heck, even with the rebate, B&H is $100 less than Canon.

oh year... there is also a 2% reward and free shipping.

wjm

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2013, 08:06:35 AM »
I saw the headline "new bigger savings from B&H". The lens I purchased yesterday, the 24-70 f2.8 ii is now $2099 vs $2049 I paid yesterday. How is this better??? My attempt at posting this earlier was blocked.

And your previous attempt was probably blocked because some words you used in a very specific way. It happens automatically (the forum moderator doesn't and cannot read all posts). This is to prevent spam and offensive posts. If such post slips through this automatic detection forum members have to report it manually to the moderator (with the link: "report to moderator" which is under each post).

If you used words like "Bigger saving", "B&H" and named various prices in the 'wrong way' it might be flaged as spam. Try make a post with words like "onisac" of "nrop" (but then backwards of course: it will probably blocked right away).

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2013, 08:48:56 AM »
Mountain out of a mole hill.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »
We get these same pricing scams from the same dealer every time there's a Canon rebate.  Most of us know better, but the OP is obviously new to this...
Nikon D800E, Nikon D7100, Fuji XE-1, Nikon FE2, Olympus OM-4Ti, OM-1 MD

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2013, 08:52:31 AM »

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: Open your eyes
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »
You better get used to the fact that CR is not a private hobby anymore. It is a business that wants to make profit. 15k visitors per day according to http://digsitevalue.org/s/canonrumors.com . Advertising is the way to fund such a website. As long as the site can still inform and/or entertain you, it is fine. Just don't be naive and expect somebody else's altruism funding it for you. And yes, it is still you who has to compare prices before you buy.

I hope CR is not making any income from this site, because I couldn't find a copy of their US FTC Disclosure statement anywhere...

Deals Wiz

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2013, 08:58:52 AM »
I appreciate what Canon Rumors does and all in keeping us updated on Canon happenings, and while I appreciate that CR does need to make money (look at all the ads plastered all over), I have to say that it is your responsibility to check for yourself whenever CR says something "is a deal", especially with Canon and its devious rebate practices.

Just think of it as advertising not unlike the banner ads. If you're okay with the banner ads you should be okay with the paid B&H links. Now it is in CR's right to add these to make his business profitable, but it is in our right to choose to ignore them if we want :)

If you want to do your deal research and watching I suggest you use a real deal website like www.CanonPriceWatch.com (which will show price history including price increases and drops) or www.Slickdeals.net or use the POTN Market Watch forums.

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2013, 09:00:15 AM »
I saw the headline "new bigger savings from B&H". The lens I purchased yesterday, the 24-70 f2.8 ii is now $2099 vs $2049 I paid yesterday. How is this better??? My attempt at posting this earlier was blocked.

There is an ebb and flow to prices.  Prices tend to be lowest near Thanksgiving/Christmas/New Year's but there are multiple rebates throughout the year.  Take a look at canonpricewatch and you can see the price histories.  Know the rules of the game and play accordingly.  You can't guarantee getting the lowest price with a given rebate, but at least you'll know how the current price compares with its historical prices.  I got my 24-70 II for 1999 by negotiating with an authorized dealer through an Ebay listing through "make an offer" -- go figure!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2013, 09:03:08 AM »
You better get used to the fact that CR is not a private hobby anymore. It is a business that wants to make profit. 15k visitors per day according to http://digsitevalue.org/s/canonrumors.com . Advertising is the way to fund such a website. As long as the site can still inform and/or entertain you, it is fine. Just don't be naive and expect somebody else's altruism funding it for you. And yes, it is still you who has to compare prices before you buy.

I hope CR is not making any income from this site, because I couldn't find a copy of their US FTC Disclosure statement anywhere...

possiblly because they are not a US site........
The best camera is the one in your hands

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2013, 09:23:56 AM »
Dreaming of Otis Redding....

Oh she may be weary
And young girls they do get wearied
Wearing that same old shaggy dress
Yeah yeah
But when she gets weary
Try a little tenderness, yeah yeah
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Barrfly

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »
 On the bright side, because of this thread I was prompted to compare prices on a purchase of a 70-200 2.8 L II I made on 3/17 .
 Thanks to B&H 's policies I just got a $30.00 kickback.
The customer service as always to my experience at B&H was great. The guy gave me a choice of a refund or store credit, I chose the later as I know I'll be a return customer many times in the future .

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2013, 09:33:03 AM »

rumorzmonger

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2013, 09:38:45 AM »

possiblly because they are not a US site........

This site is hosted by a US company, so it is a de facto a US site and as such, are required by US law to disclose any financial consideration they receive for reviewing or recommending gear or stores.

Just sayin'...

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »
over reacting much?

+1

Those are pretty reasonable deals from arguably the most reputable dealer in the US.  I don't see the harm in reporting decent (albeit not great) deals.  Especially when many of us are always on the lookout for our next piece of glass.

Again, I got the lower price. That is not what this is about.

Good for you.  I got the 85mm f/1.2L II for $1,799 earlier this year, and you don't see me griping about losing confidence in this forum or B&H.  It's economics 101... Prices change on a daily basis.

Again, those are fairly reasonable prices, and I'm glad they were posted.  Be glad you already got a good deal and leave it at that.

Not one single person is listening to what I am saying. I GOT the lower price. My lens was paid for at the lower price & will arrive Thursday. I found it offensive that the price was marked up, hyped as lower, my post pointing this out was blocked. Do you all work for cr rumors & B&H? Or is there someone else that finds raising prices and advertising it as the best deal offensive?

I'm listening to your point entirely, and as I've already asserted, you're overreacting.  In checking B&H's website, the 24-70mm f/2.8 II is $2,049.  Exactly what it was three weeks ago when I purchased it and exactly what you claim to have paid.  But according to your logic, I should be insulted by CR posting a price that isn't lower.  Oh wait, CR didn't post the price for the 24-70mm f/2.8L II.  So what exactly is your complaint?

But I get it... you're one of those entitled folk that thinks CR owes you something for visiting this site.  As neuro has already stated, it would be better for all of us if you would just delete your account instead of whining about marginal (or in this case, non existent) lens sale price differences.

I suggest you do what I did with my 24-70mm ii when I got it: Go out and use it, and quit your complaining.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2013, 09:42:28 AM »