April 18, 2014, 08:47:20 PM

Author Topic: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H  (Read 10782 times)

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
Re: I have just lost confidence with Canon Rumors & B&H
« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
I'm with the OP on this one. Yes, prices fluctuate. However, I used to have a wedding anniversary that was the last week of January. I could get a dozen red roses for about $12.  Two weeks later, around Valentine's Day, those same roses were advertised for $18, "on sale" from their regular price of $22.  I called the florist out on it. She explained that as demand goes up, so does the price of their flowers. Understood, but it's deceptive to call the regular price $22, when I was buying them two weeks ago for $12!

So yeah, I get what the OP is saying.
In landscape photography, when you shoot is more important than where.

Gear: Canon 5DmkII, 17-40mm f/4 L, 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/4.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 17, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 17, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
I'm with the OP on this one. Yes, prices fluctuate. However, I used to have a wedding anniversary that was the last week of January. I could get a dozen red roses for about $12.  Two weeks later, around Valentine's Day, those same roses were advertised for $18, "on sale" from their regular price of $22.  I called the florist out on it. She explained that as demand goes up, so does the price of their flowers. Understood, but it's deceptive to call the regular price $22, when I was buying them two weeks ago for $12!

Then in that sense, I might as well create a thread complaining about the sky being blue.  Advertising that an item is "on sale" is basic marketing strategy.  If the consumer feels like they're getting a "deal" they're more likely to buy an item.  (Hence why JC Penny just fired their CEO for his single price strategy, and their sales dropping by an enormous amount)

I fail to see why marketing strategies and basic economics are such hard concepts to grasp -- or more importantly, why people (OP) feel the need to complain about them or place blame on others.

And as for the roses on Valentine's Day comparison -- while you may find that practice deceptive, I almost appreciate it.  If I'm going to buy flowers on Valentine's Day, it's an unwritten rule that they will cost more.  But if I somehow feel (in this case, based on the holiday markup) that I'm getting a better deal, then I walk away a bit happier with a purchase I needed to make.

So if you feel taken advantage of for buying a camera lens when it's first introduced, or an air conditioner in the middle of July, or paper clips during a paper clip shortage, perhaps you should analyze your buying strategy before blaming "the system" of capitalism.  It's functioning just fine.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #62 on: April 17, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »
over reacting much?

No I don't think I'm over reacting. I got the lower price and my lens is in transit. I find it offensive that a new "better deal" is being hyped, that is not a better deal, and when I point this out, my post is blocked. Do you understand that logic?

The point is this: Every time someone clicks on that lens promotion for B&H from this website and then actually make a purchase from B&H money is made by the owner of the website. Since B&H is the largest reputable dealer in camera equipment, many links will be listed on this site and many others as it brings in income. This is not going to stop.
Buyer beware.....as always...but as someone pointed out, that lens is not in the promo.
Be happy...I bought the lens several months back for $2300!  :) It's a great lens and I have been using it a lot so, oh well!

Ok now, this is true, anyone can join it actually --- its the affiliate program - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp

Many websites do this but

"We’ll Pay...
Monthly commission begins at 2% with the possibility for increased percentage based upon performance."

So it's really not that much "income" unless we were all buying 1dx's in droves from b&h by clicking on the link here.
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 17, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
I remember back in the day in San Francisco, there were these independent electronic stores along Market Street.  They were generally rip off stores designed to get tourists.  One of the stores had a large sign out that said...

GOING OUT for BUSINESS!

The capitalized letters would be like 3 feet tall and the for was a tiny word easily mistaken for the word "of".  They wanted to make it look like they were liquidating their merchandise when that is their everyday strategy.

Another business type that does permanent going out of business sales seems to be the Persian Rug market.   Great deals...every day!

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 17, 2013, 01:18:09 PM »
I remember back in the day in San Francisco, there were these independent electronic stores along Market Street.  They were generally rip off stores designed to get tourists.  One of the stores had a large sign out that said...

GOING OUT for BUSINESS!

The capitalized letters would be like 3 feet tall and the for was a tiny word easily mistaken for the word "of".  They wanted to make it look like they were liquidating their merchandise when that is their everyday strategy.

Another business type that does permanent going out of business sales seems to be the Persian Rug market.   Great deals...every day!

Haha, most of them are along fisherman's wharf now right? Reminds me of my trip to HK, I'd walk around in Central with my DSLR around my neck and I'd get approached with something like "Come in, we have cheap lens... CHEAP LENS!!".
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 2x5D mark III, and 6D. Canon 24L, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

Vivid Color

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 17, 2013, 01:32:44 PM »
I saw the headline "new bigger savings from B&H". The lens I purchased yesterday, the 24-70 f2.8 ii is now $2099 vs $2049 I paid yesterday. How is this better??? My attempt at posting this earlier was blocked.

I do get what you are saying. Yes, pricing and marketing practices are annoying. But, its not just B&H. And, it's not confined to cameras and lens. Each week, Macy's has its Best Sale of the Year (or something to that effect). These types of practices are widespread. What is means is that you absolutely can't take the wording of an advertisement to tell you the truth about the price of a product relative to what its prices were in the past. The advertisement is merely a tool a firm uses to entice people to buy. And, as long as the merchant doesn't cross over into deceptive trade practices, the merchant has a lot of leeway in how it words its ads. And, I'm sure you already know all of this. So I'm just going to say that this is a situation in which going to resignation right away can be helpful. And, taking comfort in that you bought your lens at a lower price.

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »
I found it offensive that the price was marked up, hyped as lower,...

Retail 101.
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 17, 2013, 01:39:24 PM »

lilmsmaggie

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 17, 2013, 02:50:31 PM »
I'm gonna preface this response with a few assumptions:

1.  We're all adults
2.  As consumers, we don't always know or have access to actual cost data.

Cameras, automobiles, computers, software, roses, audio equipment, clothing, etc.  They all have a markup by which a retailer can recover costs and hopefully make a profit.  The markup depends on many variables, including any pricing restrictions levied by the OEM.

Many years ago, I took a business math class at a local community college.  The first lecture asked the question:  "How do you know if the sales price reflects a good deal?" 

The answer:  It depends.

If a retailer advertises an item as 20%, 30% or 50% off.  The first thing you need to determine is: 20%, 30% or 50% off of what? 

If you don't know what the retailer or dealer paid for the item, etc. then you don't know.   Only when you know what the retailer or dealer "actually paid" for an item can you know whether you're getting a good deal or really saving any money.  A fair price is in the eyes of the consumer.

On a different note, there are products and services available in the marketplace that never go on sale.

You ever see Harvard, Stanford or any college for that matter advertising: "This month only 25% off Tuition!"   How often do you see Apple offering a sale?  Ever tried getting a reduced sales price from your doctor, dentist, attorney?   How about gas prices?  Ever see a gas station advertise a sale?

There's a reason we have marketplace principles such as "Caveat Emptor," and "Whatever the market will bear."  Supply and Demand drive prices in the marketplace.  We know these factors are at play but somehow there is a disconnect.   It never fails to amaze me how many people will camp out 2-3 or more days in front of a Walmart, Bestbuy or other retailer waiting to buy that BIG SALE item !!!!

As far as Canon's MAP is concerned, they are not the only manufacturer that imposes this type of requirement on its "authorized dealers."  Most auto manufactures do the same thing with their dealer networks. 

I have a friend that sells high-end audio equipment.  One of the lines he sells is Audio Note.
Audio Note has a price floor that ALL its authorized dealers cannot go below; otherwise, they won't receive any more product from Audio Note.

I may be wrong but do we really know what B&H, Adorama, Calumet, or any other retailer selling cameras and other photographic gear are paying for these products wholesale?  I'm not so sure.  We always see MSRP prices advertised for cameras but I for one have never seen data on what the retailer is actually paying for these items.

I don't see CR or B&H Photo being necessarily deceptive.  It's up to us as consumers to educate ourselves and do as much research is possible before making a purchase.  Sometimes it just comes down to asking ourselves:  "Does this purchase represent a good value for me at this time?" The rule "Caveat Emptor - Let the buyer beware" is just as true today as it was when the Supreme Court first applied the rule in 1817.

Be willing to live with the purchase whatever it may be.  If you're satisfied with a purchase and you know you weren't jilted or taken advantage of, then be happy.  That's the important thing.
5DMKII, T3i, 24-105L, 100 2.8L Macro, 70-300 4-5.6L

art_d

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 17, 2013, 03:51:38 PM »
It's simple pyschology. People are more inclined to buy something if they think they are getting a deal on it.

Remember how JCPenny's not too long ago decided to go to a strategy where they would offer low prices all the time, but wouldn't have sales? There were no more "fake prices" that were inflated so that markdowns seemed like deals . Supposedly this sort of clear and non-decpetive pricing strategy would be something that consumers would appreciate, right? Well, unfortunately, that non-deceptive pricing strategy failed miserably. Sales went down something like 20%.

It turns out that us consumers are (as a collective) not very smart. Marketing folks know this. That's why inflated prices + "discounts" = more sales.

I can't say I like the practice. But I understand why it goes on.

thedman

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 17, 2013, 04:00:06 PM »
The most confusing things about this thread are A) This particular lens is not listed in the latest rebate announcement, and B) both Amazon and B&H are still showing this lens at $2049. So I have no idea what the OP is talking about.

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 17, 2013, 04:11:10 PM »

The point is this: Every time someone clicks on that lens promotion for B&H from this website and then actually make a purchase from B&H money is made by the owner of the website. Since B&H is the largest reputable dealer in camera equipment, many links will be listed on this site and many others as it brings in income. This is not going to stop.
Buyer beware.....as always...but as someone pointed out, that lens is not in the promo.
Be happy...I bought the lens several months back for $2300!  :) It's a great lens and I have been using it a lot so, oh well!
[/quote]

Ok now, this is true, anyone can join it actually --- its the affiliate program - http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp

Many websites do this but

"We’ll Pay...
Monthly commission begins at 2% with the possibility for increased percentage based upon performance."

So it's really not that much "income" unless we were all buying 1dx's in droves from b&h by clicking on the link here.
[/quote]

Chuck..I am not saying there is ANYTHING wrong with getting compensated for all the great stuff that is put together for all of us on this website...my point was that that reality figures into anything that gets posted here. It's basic commerce 101!  :)
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:13:38 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

preppyak

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 17, 2013, 04:33:05 PM »
The most confusing things about this thread are A) This particular lens is not listed in the latest rebate announcement, and B) both Amazon and B&H are still showing this lens at $2049. So I have no idea what the OP is talking about.
Perhaps he meant the 70-200? Not sure. Either way, it's a silly thing to get upset about, especially when those posts are very specifically tagged as ad posts.

It's on the lens buyer to find the best price.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »
Bottom line is: you the "BUYER" needs to consider the final price. It's your decision, buy it or not. I don't understand why the OP started this thread, when he/she bought it at lower price?

All dealers need to make profits to stay alive.
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 17, 2013, 04:53:46 PM »

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #73 on: April 17, 2013, 05:12:57 PM »
It's simple pyschology. People are more inclined to buy something if they think they are getting a deal on it.

I can't say I like the practice. But I understand why it goes on.

And that was the point I was trying to make. No question, it's a part of our fabric; it goes on all the time.  I guess I'm not in sales for a reason.

EOBeav

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Landscape Photoblog
« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »

Then in that sense, I might as well create a thread complaining about the sky being blue.  Advertising that an item is "on sale" is basic marketing strategy.  If the consumer feels like they're getting a "deal" they're more likely to buy an item.  (Hence why JC Penny just fired their CEO for his single price strategy, and their sales dropping by an enormous amount)

I fail to see why marketing strategies and basic economics are such hard concepts to grasp -- or more importantly, why people (OP) feel the need to complain about them or place blame on others.

And as for the roses on Valentine's Day comparison -- while you may find that practice deceptive, I almost appreciate it.  If I'm going to buy flowers on Valentine's Day, it's an unwritten rule that they will cost more.  But if I somehow feel (in this case, based on the holiday markup) that I'm getting a better deal, then I walk away a bit happier with a purchase I needed to make.

So if you feel taken advantage of for buying a camera lens when it's first introduced, or an air conditioner in the middle of July, or paper clips during a paper clip shortage, perhaps you should analyze your buying strategy before blaming "the system" of capitalism.  It's functioning just fine.

The reality is that it happens all the time. We fall for it all the time. However, seeing a higher price advertised as a 'sale' price seems deceitful. Our local Safeway does it all the time. Nobody is "blaming capitalism," (I'm not even sure where you got that) we're just calling out vendors for this practice. This isn't a capitalism vs. {insert other world economy here}.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 17, 2013, 05:17:24 PM »