April 19, 2014, 01:50:35 PM

Author Topic: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?  (Read 3495 times)

cr316892

  • PowerShot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »

I received a brand new 60D kit (with 18-135mm lens) last year for Black Friday (I didn't even have to wait for Christmas). So it's only a few months old, and I've only taken a couple thousand pictures, and it is in mint condition.

I was considering upgrading to either the 70D or 6D, and was wondering about what the optimal time would be to sell the 60D.

It appears that on eBay/Craigslist, the most I might be able to get is maybe $750, so a lot of depreciation has already occured.

My question is, when the replacement is announced, will the used price plummet, or will it remain relatively stable? If it's not going to drop much more in value, then I'll probably hang onto it for a while.

However, if the price is going to go through the floor, I'll seriously consider selling it soon/now, even before the 70D is announced/shipping.

(I know a lot of this is contintent on the 70D specs, but looking for general advice.)

Thanks

canon rumors FORUM

Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« on: April 17, 2013, 05:47:22 AM »

aznable

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 224
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 06:18:41 AM »
it will probably go down; before announcing a new model canon will probably try to clear the inventory of 60D lowering the prices, so also the price of used stuff will go down
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS

cr316892

  • PowerShot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 06:26:00 AM »
it will probably go down; before announcing a new model canon will probably try to clear the inventory of 60D lowering the prices, so also the price of used stuff will go down
Yeah, I think that's already happening.

The kit with the current rebates is available for for $999. eBay for a used 60D is $750 tops.

So if I sell right now, the most I can hope to get is maybe $750. If I wait until after the 70D is announced, will I only be able to get $600? $500?

How much more is this going to depreciate?

siegsAR

  • PowerShot G1 X II
  • ***
  • Posts: 52
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 06:31:45 AM »
I'd probably sell it "now" if I were you(that way Ms. Shuttercount still looks very pretty), ;)
Safe side would be to sell it after the 70D's official announcement is released.
So you'd know what you're gonna be upgrading to.
Tsk! Come on son..

cr316892

  • PowerShot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 06:50:56 AM »
I'd probably sell it "now" if I were you(that way Ms. Shuttercount still looks very pretty), ;)
Safe side would be to sell it after the 70D's official announcement is released.
So you'd know what you're gonna be upgrading to.
Thanks for your input.

A few more considerations:

One of the reasons I am considering the 6D because it's already being discounted. The 70D will have an early adopters' premium.

Also, I like to use Magic Lantern, though this is not a requirement. It's in alpha for the 6D, and obviously not going to be available for the 70D for a while.

sunnyVan

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 247
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 07:06:24 AM »

I received a brand new 60D kit (with 18-135mm lens) last year for Black Friday (I didn't even have to wait for Christmas). So it's only a few months old, and I've only taken a couple thousand pictures, and it is in mint condition.

I was considering upgrading to either the 70D or 6D, and was wondering about what the optimal time would be to sell the 60D.

It appears that on eBay/Craigslist, the most I might be able to get is maybe $750, so a lot of depreciation has already occured.

My question is, when the replacement is announced, will the used price plummet, or will it remain relatively stable? If it's not going to drop much more in value, then I'll probably hang onto it for a while.

However, if the price is going to go through the floor, I'll seriously consider selling it soon/now, even before the 70D is announced/shipping.

(I know a lot of this is contintent on the 70D specs, but looking for general advice.)

Thanks

Unlike lenses, cameras don't hold value so well. Even top of the line cameras go outdated very quickly. Lenses get updated infrequently. If you're getting a 6D, it's not a bad idea to keep your 60D so that you could have a backup plusyou could use the 10-22 and other EFS lenses.

It doesn't matter how new you think your 60d is. A 60D is a 60D and the market for it is shrinking everyday as we speak. If I was you I would either keep it or sell it right now. I seriously doubt you'd get more than 650 but I'm happy for you if you could. I sold mine for less than 600 last month.
6D, 24-70 2.8L II, 17-40L, 100 2.8L, 70-200L F4 IS, 85 1.8, 135L, Sigma 35 1.4, 600Ex-RT

I'm broke.

Albi86

  • 1D Mark IV
  • ******
  • Posts: 819
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »

I received a brand new 60D kit (with 18-135mm lens) last year for Black Friday (I didn't even have to wait for Christmas). So it's only a few months old, and I've only taken a couple thousand pictures, and it is in mint condition.

I was considering upgrading to either the 70D or 6D, and was wondering about what the optimal time would be to sell the 60D.

It appears that on eBay/Craigslist, the most I might be able to get is maybe $750, so a lot of depreciation has already occured.

My question is, when the replacement is announced, will the used price plummet, or will it remain relatively stable? If it's not going to drop much more in value, then I'll probably hang onto it for a while.

However, if the price is going to go through the floor, I'll seriously consider selling it soon/now, even before the 70D is announced/shipping.

(I know a lot of this is contintent on the 70D specs, but looking for general advice.)

Thanks

I'd wait for the 70D to be officially announced. You might find the upgrade to be not so compelling.

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 08:39:57 AM »

Dylan777

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 3141
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 09:20:24 AM »
I don't see how the selling price will go up, unless the market is in HUGE shortage.

Something to think about besides saving few hundred bucks:
1. if you sell it now, what are you going to shoot with?
2. Do you have a real spec of 70D?
3. Do you when 70D will be shipped? 6month to 1yr?
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

emag

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 309
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 09:28:14 AM »
Your 60D won't suddenly stop taking good photos when the 70D arrives....and I doubt the 70D will be a tremendous upgrade.  The 6D is already a good upgrade and prices are getting lower.  July 4th sales will probably be quite good if you can wait (apologies if you're not in the U.S.).  Personally, I'd keep the 60D and get the 6D.   Both have their advantages and similar operating controls.  Plus ML is already working on 60D.

pdirestajr

  • 5D Mark III
  • ******
  • Posts: 694
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 09:37:49 AM »
Is the 70D really going to be that significant of an upgrade from a camera 1 generation back?! I'd wait for the 80D. I hear that camera is going to be totally mind blowing! It will have a few more megapixels and probably be a stop better at high ISO settings! It's gonna off the chain.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

aznable

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 224
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2013, 09:52:42 AM »
it will probably go down; before announcing a new model canon will probably try to clear the inventory of 60D lowering the prices, so also the price of used stuff will go down
Yeah, I think that's already happening.

The kit with the current rebates is available for for $999. eBay for a used 60D is $750 tops.

So if I sell right now, the most I can hope to get is maybe $750. If I wait until after the 70D is announced, will I only be able to get $600? $500?

How much more is this going to depreciate?

who know.... but why do you want to upgrade? to have better high iso pefoprmance, fps, af or what?
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS

cr316892

  • PowerShot G16
  • **
  • Posts: 17
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2013, 10:03:26 AM »
I appreciate all of the advice in this thread.

To be clear, what I'm trying to figure out is what the trends are for the pricing of used cameras when their replacements are announced, irrespective of the next camera I will buy (or not buy).

I mention the 70D primarily because I want to figure out how its announcement/release will impact the value of a used 60D.

What's the marginal loss the longer I wait? That's what I'm really trying to figure out.

Is it going to be a case of, "You're not going to lose much more by holding onto the 60D,"

or

"You're better of selling it now because it's not going to be worth anything in a few months."

I have given a lot of thought of upgrading to a 6D, so that is under serious consideration.

I am open to a 70D, with all of the rumored specs, new sensor, etc. Obviously, I would have to wait somehow.

I'm also open to keeping the 60D, for all of the reasons mentioned in this thread.

Thanks

jdramirez

  • 1D X
  • *******
  • Posts: 1825
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »
 look at the resale value of the 50d  and the value of the 60d will be between where the fifty is now and where the sixty is today.   That's the plain honest truth.   it does depend on the market.   maybe the seventh is so amazing it making 7d  and sixty d owners all want to upgrade,  but knowing canon,  it will be a marginal improvement at best.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100 f/2.8L->85mm f/1.8 USM->135L -> 8mm ->100L

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2013, 10:33:45 AM »

aznable

  • EOS M2
  • ****
  • Posts: 224
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
look at the resale value of the 50d  and the value of the 60d will be between where the fifty is now and where the sixty is today.   That's the plain honest truth.   it does depend on the market.   maybe the seventh is so amazing it making 7d  and sixty d owners all want to upgrade,  but knowing canon,  it will be a marginal improvement at best.

the 50D hasnt lost so much because the 60D was a big let down...a downgrade on most aspects
Canon 1D Mark III - Canon 50D - sigma 24-70 EX DG - sigma 70-200 EX DG HSM OS

nebugeater

  • Canon AE-1
  • ***
  • Posts: 73
    • View Profile
Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »
Here is my take on this and it assumes that you only have the 60D, I don't think you have stated that.

If you are willing to sell now and wait to replace the camera at some point down the road and be without for an undermined amount of time then you probably do not need to step up at all.  If you are going to go with a 6D then sell now and buy the 6D.  You know the market and what the costs are and if it justifies itself then do it.  If you are going to wait for the 70D then wait, use the heck out of the 60D and make the decision based on the market at the time you can actually have a replacement to use.  If you can go without anything for a few months then a step up is not that important as you are not using the DSLR on a regular bases.

.
 

canon rumors FORUM

Re: Sell 60D now or after 70D is shipping?
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2013, 11:49:37 AM »