October 25, 2014, 12:51:19 PM

Author Topic: T3i - 600EX-RT or Canon Speedlite 580EX II  (Read 7203 times)

Wildfire

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Re: T3i - 600EX-RT or Canon Speedlite 580EX II
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »
Also if you use the Phottix Strato's and I had them initially and they do work wonderfully for manual flash, if you're going to suggest an upgrade to them, why not the Phottix Odin?  They are superior to Yongnuo triggers all day long and I find the TTL in the Odins to work seamlessly with my Canon cameras.  The Yongnuo triggers are sketchy at best if he wants to get long service out of them imho...

The cost of the Odin system begins to approach that of the of RT system... Four YN622s cost $180, while one Odin transmitter w/three receivers costs $575.

If you're willing to shell out for TTL flashes and Odins, maybe the 600EX RT is the better way to go as you won't have to hassle with more batteries and separate triggers.

I don't think the Canon  ST-E3-RT will work on the Rebel.  The full advantages of this latest flash system can only be realised with the 5D Mark III or the 1Dx.  However, the 600EX-RT will work like the 580EX II with on camera flash & TTL metering etc. and wireless off camera flash through its line of sight light sensor.  It just won't have the radio capability with the OP's Rebel.

The ST-E3-RT should work fine on the Rebel. Some features may not be available, but from what I've read, features that are only supposed to work on the 5D3 and 1DX actually do still work on older cameras like the 5D2 and Rebels, despite the fact that Canon's documentation says otherwise.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:55:56 PM by Wildfire »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2013, 01:52:57 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2013, 03:52:29 PM »
I don't think the Canon  ST-E3-RT will work on the Rebel.  The full advantages of this latest flash system can only be realised with the 5D Mark III or the 1Dx.  However, the 600EX-RT will work like the 580EX II with on camera flash & TTL metering etc. and wireless off camera flash through its line of sight light sensor.  It just won't have the radio capability with the OP's Rebel.

Think harder...or at least, smarter.  Although there are a couple of minor limitations to the functionality of the new RT system on pre-2012 bodies (lower Xsync, no group flash), most of the radio triggering functions work just fine.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

doogie

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 11:39:15 AM »
Well I bought the 600EX-RT and should get it tomorrow. I join photo club and they are meeting this friday to take pictures at local garden. I will mostly be just watching them but maybe test out my stuff too.

ksuweh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 12:10:59 PM »
Congratulations! Glad that I could help you in making that decision! :) Let us know if you have any questions & how you like the new gear!!
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 03:46:46 PM »
Think harder...or at least, smarter.  Although there are a couple of minor limitations to the functionality of the new RT system on pre-2012 bodies (lower Xsync, no group flash), most of the radio triggering functions work just fine.

The loss off group flash is really hurting since this is one of the big advantages of the rt system, but the x-sync is said to be still at full speed for many camera bodies like 5d2 no matter what Canon says.

Well I bought the 600EX-RT and should get it tomorrow.

Just some advice from a fellow 600rt user:

* Immediately buy and read "Speedliter's Handbook: Learning to Craft Light with Canon Speedlites"
* Set the flash so you just need to turn the dial to adjust flash exposure compensation w/o pressing a button first, you'll want to change fec often
* Use manual zoom setting often, so only your subject is lit and not the surrounding area
* Learn to use m flash no matter how smart ettl is.
* Get a sto-fen type diffuser and a larger bounce card
* If you wantmore flashes (and you will) consider the cheaper Yongnuo flashes and radio triggers

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 04:11:23 PM »
"but the x-sync is said to be still at full speed for many camera bodies like 5d2 no matter what Canon says."

I think if you actually test this extensively, like I have, you will find out that on the body the sync speed is fine, when using radio it is not 100% consistent, I have had shutter shadow at 1/250 and even a hint at 1/200 with three 600's and an ST-E3-RT when set to three groups on a 1Ds MkIII. But not every time, about one in fifty shots, this would lead me to conclude two things, internet chatter is practically worthless so test what you are going to do yourself, and Canon were actually right to put that one stop sync speed proviso in, and lets face it they could have disabled the pre 2012 cameras from doing it at all but they didn't, they just give you a gentle warning.

As for group mode, I'd love a firmware update for my 1Ds MkIII's to give me group mode, oh how happy I would be. Having said that the RT radio system as it is, even on pre 2012 bodies, gives you more control than the optical system did, particularly via the ST-E2.
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »
"but the x-sync is said to be still at full speed for many camera bodies like 5d2 no matter what Canon says."
But not every time, about one in fifty shots, this would lead me to conclude two things, internet chatter is practically worthless so test what you are going to do yourself, and Canon were actually right to put that one stop sync speed proviso in

Thanks for the clarification, I didn't test it myself (that's why I wrote "is said to"). When I researched if to get the 5d2 or a newer model I didn't find any report of it *not* working with full speed ... but these people might have taken too few shots to realize the slight problem, or maybe your 1d3 does worse than the 5d2.

As for group mode: I'm expecting Yongnuo to reverse engineer the rt protocol rather sooner than later, and if they do maybe they'll release radio triggers that somehow support group mode on all Canon models... but at least then the rt system will cost 1/3 of Canon's price.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 06:15:44 PM »

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »
The 1Ds MkIII is rated to a genuine 1/250 sync speed, as opposed to the hopeful 1/200 of the 5D MkII that often doesn't actually sync anywhere over 1/160 with other radio triggers either. So I doubt it is my camera, but it could be.

I don't believe the 600EX-RT is overpriced, it is $499 at the moment, cheaper than the 580EX was and cheaper than the SB910 is, and neither of them have radio. The cheapest full functioning ETTL compatible radio is around $100 per flash, with other solutions being much more expensive.

Third parties reverse engineering is a double edged sword, if they get too good at it Canon will break the protocols. Now the Phottix Odin system seems like a really interesting buy with a great feature set, but as wiith all third parties, keeping up with Canon's gotcha's will be ever more difficult, and more frustrating for the owners.

I am not a rich guy, but I am very happy to have chosen and invested in the Canon RT system. I am sure doggie will enjoy his new purchase, though I was reluctant to recommend a flash hat cost more than his camera......
The best time to plant a tree is twenty-five years ago. The second best time is today.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 06:36:50 PM »