September 17, 2014, 05:51:38 AM

Author Topic: Just got the canon 16-35 ii and having a hard time seeing the value in this uwa  (Read 18241 times)

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
I LOVE using UWA's!

The images here are from the 17-40. I chose these in particular since they are all shot as wide as possible. I also use my UWA ~2x a week working indoors for a company here in Tulsa. I would, however, really consider your style. My wife rarely ever shoots with my 17-40 on her 60D, she prefers the 35L, that is her style and that is what she uses to get results. The 17-40 was the first L lens we bought and I have grown to love it despite it's flaws. Next year I plan on upgrading to the 16-35, but if you are a fan of the UWA look, I would consider the 16-35, 17-40, or Tamron 17-50 2.8. I have used all three and have few complaints with any of them.

Again, if wide is your style, have some fun, but if not, save your money to later optimize your shooting style.

-Tabor

Nice shots!  UWA's aren't easy, but when you nail it, you get results like this...very nice!
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I do agree with everyone here, but, you have the lens.  Unless you plan to return it for full price to the place you bought it, I would say keep it (unless money is real tight).  Consider it to be a challenge, learn how to use it with people...or, just be glad that you have a great landscape lens.  I love my 16-35 and it's become my go to even photography lens.  I do a lot of freelance work for a a local publication and generally speaking it's my go to lens for that work.  I guess it all depends on how much ambition you have with photography (you seem to have a large $$$ budget, but do you have the time to tinker with the lens, dig into it, figure out how it can be used?).  If you lack the time, and the patience to learn, then yeah, sell it and stick with the focal lengths your comfortable with.  But, if you give it a chance then you may find you'll like it in the long run.  Your call obviously, but as one who loves the lens, it's hard to just say go sell it....
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I do agree with everyone here, but, you have the lens.  Unless you plan to return it for full price to the place you bought it, I would say keep it (unless money is real tight).  Consider it to be a challenge, learn how to use it with people...or, just be glad that you have a great landscape lens.  I love my 16-35 and it's become my go to even photography lens.  I do a lot of freelance work for a a local publication and generally speaking it's my go to lens for that work.  I guess it all depends on how much ambition you have with photography (you seem to have a large $$$ budget, but do you have the time to tinker with the lens, dig into it, figure out how it can be used?).  If you lack the time, and the patience to learn, then yeah, sell it and stick with the focal lengths your comfortable with.  But, if you give it a chance then you may find you'll like it in the long run.  Your call obviously, but as one who loves the lens, it's hard to just say go sell it....

Chuck..with these gdeat shots you have me thinking about buying this lens!  Nice!
Sport Shooter

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4xiii and 2xiii, 85, 40mm, 300 2.8L IS....430ex

Stewbyyy

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • Stuart Comerford Photography
Not with the 16-35mm but with a 10-20mm Sigma on a 1D Mark IIN. I feel it's relevant as it shows how an UWA lens can be utilised with people.

I adore UWA lenses, I love the way they put subjects into context. It's all about getting close when you use a UWA. Not always something liked by photographers, especially those who prefer to stay discrete.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography

Yeah i should have researched or rented before I bought. Thw uwa just is not a perspective I am going for right now. I like tighter shots with less of the environment in the pic. I rented the 100mm macro and a 1.4 extender to see if going in that direction inspires me otherwise ill hang onto it and after 6 months if it goes unused ill sell it.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Does the 100 go with an extender? I thought not....?

Harry Muff

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
I tried my 2x Mk1 on my 100L IS and it was a no go.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile

Yeah i should have researched or rented before I bought. Thw uwa just is not a perspective I am going for right now. I like tighter shots with less of the environment in the pic. I rented the 100mm macro and a 1.4 extender to see if going in that direction inspires me otherwise ill hang onto it and after 6 months if it goes unused ill sell it.

You probably know this, but, glass does keep it's value pretty well, so, unless you can just return it for full refund (they may charge ya a restocking fee, depends on where you bought it) you can still resell it.  Hell, I bought mine used from adorama for $1339.  So if you don't drop it, or let it sit out in the rain, or keep it in your car when its over 100 degrees outside, throw it in the pool, etc etc) you should be able to get a good return on it hell just give this guy a call --

Chuck..with these gdeat shots you have me thinking about buying this lens!  Nice!

LOL...  just remember too, you may be very into the " tighter shots with less of the environment in the pic," right now, but, think ahead...I love the tight shots too, and have lenses to cover that range - but, when that situation comes up that you need it, or, when you get sick of tight shots and want something different... we all evolve as photogs... a little story, when I was running with only a 7D, I snagged a used 70-200 2.8 (the non IS version).  On a 7d it was just a bit too long (1.6 crop) for most of what I was doing.  So, it sat in the bag more than not and the 24-70 got the bulk of the workload.  But, when I upgraded to FF, that 70-200 went from dead weight in the bag to one of my favorite lenses to use.  And now that I have the 16-35 and a 50 1.4...its the 24-70 that sits in the bag...or worse, doesn't even go in the bag when i go out and shoot.  So keep that in mind, it may not fit your style and needs RIGHT NOW...but, what about 6 months from now, a year from now....

ahsanford

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
I tried my 2x Mk1 on my 100L IS and it was a no go.
On that topic, from TDP:

"As a rule, but subject to change, the Canon lenses compatible with the Canon EF 2x III Extender include fixed focal length L lenses with focal lengths of 135mm and longer, zoom L lenses with at least 70mm of focal length on their wide end (the Canon EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 L IS USM Lens excluded) and Canon TS-E Tilt-Shift lenses (though these are not included on Canon's official compatibility chart). The following list of discontinued lenses fitting these parameters are compatible, but may require camera microfocus calibration for accurate focusing (note that not all DSLR cameras support microfocus calibration):

Canon EF 200mm f/1.8 L USM Lens
Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L USM Lens (non-IS)
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L USM Lens (non-IS)
Canon EF 400mm f/2.8 L II USM Lens (non-IS)
Canon EF 500mm f/4.5 L USM Lens
Canon EF 1200mm f/5.6 L USM Lens"

Link = http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-Extender-EF-2x-III-Review.aspx
(pan down about halfway)

Who knew you could extend a tilt-shift?  You learn something new every day.

- A

Hobby Shooter

I like the pictures you've posted. I don't have an UWA option at the moment, 24 is my widest. My gear spending account is currently empty. I've been contemplating the 17-40 to start with just to have something to learn from. I love the wide perspective and like you say, distortion can be your friend. The OP is in a lucky spot and I hope he will enjoy the 16-35 over time.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile

Sorry i rented the 100mm macro to try for portraits and the 1.4 extender for my 70-200 to see if more reach is of any inspiration but it aounds like the 16-35 will help make me work for composition so maybe it is a good lens for my. I love that foreworks shot.
1Dx, 5D3, 16-35 f4 L IS, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Kkc...stop it.  Unless you are a pro or rich amateur...then stop spending your cute kids college education funds and your family's retirement fund on lenses that give you almost no discernible difference in IQ to your current gear.

I write this because you've wrote that you're not a pro, and you indicated that your money is limited...so screw your head on straight and realize (like you did a few months ago when you posted about downgrading your entire system) the you've probably already over indulged in camera gear for your your needs.

You've got gear-itis...a form of gear addiction....go report to a shrink for therapy and be happy with the incredible gear you already have...and again....STOP.

Very sorry for being direct and without tact...but it's so obvious that this is what you need to hear that I can't help it.

Agreed. Or go and buy something like a Fujifilm X100s and begin to wonder why the hell you're spending all this money on big and expensive lenses and cameras :)

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
Kkc...stop it.  Unless you are a pro or rich amateur...then stop spending your cute kids college education funds and your family's retirement fund on lenses that give you almost no discernible difference in IQ to your current gear.

I write this because you've wrote that you're not a pro, and you indicated that your money is limited...so screw your head on straight and realize (like you did a few months ago when you posted about downgrading your entire system) the you've probably already over indulged in camera gear for your your needs.

You've got gear-itis...a form of gear addiction....go report to a shrink for therapy and be happy with the incredible gear you already have...and again....STOP.

Very sorry for being direct and without tact...but it's so obvious that this is what you need to hear that I can't help it.

Really? Trying to expand my creative options with adding lenses is a good thing am I supposed to be bound to the 24-70 70-200 because thats good glass? I like changing lenses and playing around with different shots. 6 months ago I was uninspired snd now I am getting into shooting again so I said to myself i am going on vacation and at walt disney there are a lot of uwa shots. Then i thought well what other reasons could i use this so after the purchase i second guessed my decision so I asked this forum for what only a few people provided PICTURES of examples to give me some perspective. I also want a macro for flowers and bugs. I want more reach, a travel telephoto (70-300l). d o I buy all them at once or one at a time as the need arises. I thought since this trip was coming up and I am going on a cruise next june that I should give it a try. Apparently this forum is not what I thought it was and yeah who does not go thru spells of wanting to carry less. I solved that by getting a sony nex 6 for short trips. I listened to your advice and kept my 5d vs getting a 1dx or moving down to a 6d. Now I ask it on uses for a lens and I am criticized?

canon rumors FORUM

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
Fwiw I don't usually listen to folks who tell me how to spend my money, especially those behind a computer. If you got it who am I (or we) to tell you how to spend it. If it makes you happy so be it. That being said I think you're chasing happiness in your photography and while new shiny toys isn't a bad way to go about it, I think you've reached the point where you've realized that's not entirely true. Get out and shoot, and when your tired shoot some more. I think once your skills start to refine themselves you'll get back to appreciating what you have.

KKCFamilyman

• 6D
    • View Profile
Fwiw I don't usually listen to folks who tell me how to spend my money, especially those behind a computer. If you got it who am I (or we) to tell you how to spend it. If it makes you happy so be it. That being said I think you're chasing happiness in your photography and while new shiny toys isn't a bad way to go about it, I think you've reached the point where you've realized that's not entirely true. Get out and shoot, and when your tired shoot some more. I think once your skills start to refine themselves you'll get back to appreciating what you have.
Thanks thats a fair statement. I have been and looking at past pics and making a shot and gear list for this trip which is why the whole uwa came up. It is returnable. Just don't want to return it to buy it later.

canon rumors FORUM