April 18, 2014, 05:32:18 AM

Author Topic: Just got the canon 16-35 ii and having a hard time seeing the value in this uwa  (Read 14226 times)

wayno

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Kkc...stop it.  Unless you are a pro or rich amateur...then stop spending your cute kids college education funds and your family's retirement fund on lenses that give you almost no discernible difference in IQ to your current gear.

I write this because you've wrote that you're not a pro, and you indicated that your money is limited...so screw your head on straight and realize (like you did a few months ago when you posted about downgrading your entire system) the you've probably already over indulged in camera gear for your your needs.

You've got gear-itis...a form of gear addiction....go report to a shrink for therapy and be happy with the incredible gear you already have...and again....STOP.

Very sorry for being direct and without tact...but it's so obvious that this is what you need to hear that I can't help it.

Really? Trying to expand my creative options with adding lenses is a good thing am I supposed to be bound to the 24-70 70-200 because thats good glass? I like changing lenses and playing around with different shots. 6 months ago I was uninspired snd now I am getting into shooting again so I said to myself i am going on vacation and at walt disney there are a lot of uwa shots. Then i thought well what other reasons could i use this so after the purchase i second guessed my decision so I asked this forum for what only a few people provided PICTURES of examples to give me some perspective. I also want a macro for flowers and bugs. I want more reach, a travel telephoto (70-300l). d o I buy all them at once or one at a time as the need arises. I thought since this trip was coming up and I am going on a cruise next june that I should give it a try. Apparently this forum is not what I thought it was and yeah who does not go thru spells of wanting to carry less. I solved that by getting a sony nex 6 for short trips. I listened to your advice and kept my 5d vs getting a 1dx or moving down to a 6d. Now I ask it on uses for a lens and I am criticized?

Each to their own - and I'm the last person to warn against buying too many lenses. But I do think creativity sometimes is better fostered with LESS gear rather than more. Some of my most creative photographic experiences have been with just a single prime lens.

canon rumors FORUM

robbymack

• 7D
    • View Profile
I'd return it. You say it doesn't fit your eye so no reason to have it at this point. If you develop a need or want for it later its not going anywhere. By then you'll probably also just buy used because you'll know there is little difference between new and used glass other than price. I've been to Disney a lot with the family. Do yourself (and the wife) a favor take one lens and enjoy the family. Last trip to Disney I just took my old Olympus film camera with one roll of film (24 exposures). So much happier that way, no reason to interrupt the fun for dads silly hobby ;)

Northstar

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Kkc...I deleted my post.  You're right, it's not my place to tell you how to spend your money or even give an opinion on that subject.  I was very much out of line.   I'm sorry.   

Fwiw...A small and light travel camera is a great option for Disney when traveling with young kids....IMO.   
Look closer, it's not a robin.

1dX and 5d3... 24-70 2.8ii, 70-200 2.8ii, 1.4x and 2xiii, 85 1.8, 40 2.8, 300 2.8Lis

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
Kkc...I deleted my post.  You're right, it's not my place to tell you how to spend your money or even give an opinion on that subject.  I was very much out of line.   I'm sorry.   

Fwiw...A small and light travel camera is a great option for Disney when traveling with young kids....IMO.

Thanks no hard feelings. I understand e eryone will have their opinion that I did ask for.
2 x 5d iii, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt

motorhead

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
My 16-35 is my least used lens by some margin. It me entirely - I've discovered I simply look at the world in terms of telephoto lenses, not wide angle.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
I still say keep the lens unless you are in serious debt.  There may come a day and time where you want that wide angle look, and if you have it already you can just do it as opposed to selling it now then finding in a year that you actually do want to shoot that kind of shot.  All it takes is that one aha moment to turn your paper weight lens into your favorite lens...
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

Vivid Color

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
KKC: I'd say if you are in doubt and can still get your money back, then return the lens. (That's my general rule that I apply to almost everything I purchase that has a good return policy--if in doubt, take it back.) You can always purchase it later if you become more certain about your decision. If, however, the full money back return period is over, then it sounds like you might need some PPR: post-purchase reinforcement. From what I've read and seen from other posts and threads on this list and other websites, the 16-35 II is an amazing lens. (Full disclosure: It and the 100 mm L macro are the next two lenses I want to get.) I'm sure that there are many websites that can provide inspiration. And, from the photos you posted, they show that the lens can deliver absolutely wonderful and rich colors. So, if you can't return it for full price, then I'd suggest hanging on to it for awhile and using it as much as you can. Love isn't always at first sight. But, if you don't grow to love it, you can always sell it.

canon rumors FORUM

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
KKC: I'd say if you are in doubt and can still get your money back, then return the lens. (That's my general rule that I apply to almost everything I purchase that has a good return policy--if in doubt, take it back.) You can always purchase it later if you become more certain about your decision. If, however, the full money back return period is over, then it sounds like you might need some PPR: post-purchase reinforcement. From what I've read and seen from other posts and threads on this list and other websites, the 16-35 II is an amazing lens. (Full disclosure: It and the 100 mm L macro are the next two lenses I want to get.) I'm sure that there are many websites that can provide inspiration. And, from the photos you posted, they show that the lens can deliver absolutely wonderful and rich colors. So, if you can't return it for full price, then I'd suggest hanging on to it for awhile and using it as much as you can. Love isn't always at first sight. But, if you don't grow to love it, you can always sell it.

+100 ...said almost the same thing...more inspiration
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 04:45:16 PM by Chuck Alaimo »
Owns 5Dmkiii, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-200mm, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 580 EXII, 2 430 EX's

Etienne

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • Photography by Steve Brule
I bought the 16-35L II several years ago because the sale price was too good to pass up. I didn't use it much for about a year. Finally I decided I had to learn how to use this lens so I went out regularly with only the 5DII and the 16-35 lens. That forced me to work out how to use the lens.

At first I was a bit frustrated because you have to look at things differently in order to see the shot opportunity. Many of the best Photojournalism shots are taken with this lens, or other ultra-wides. Check out:
http://bit.ly/Yj8uzu
http://bit.ly/XNBfa2

Google photojournalism awards and you'll notice a lot of ultra-wide shots.

Long story short, it became my favorite lens, and I rarely leave home without it.

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Honestly...you got me thinking of of how to get even more use out of mine because now I'm looking at examples!  How I approach it now, unless i can look at a scene and see some feature that just screams UWA, I tend to go on the idea of ...use the primes and the 70-200 first, then, take some risks!!!! 

Here's some just general google search results for "portrait shots using canon 16-35mm"

http://www.coryparris.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/027.jpg
http://abloggablelife.typepad.com/.a/6a0115704a1242970c01676924ef53970b-800wi
http://carolineplusben.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/wpid3472-kayla-austin-bridal-session-at-capitol-and-flamingo-farm-1.jpg
http://www.kurtleblanc.com/blog/image.axd?picture=8721-Luke-Watermark-CW_thumb.jpg
http://brettharknessphotography.com/training/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/orignial.jpg

I could keep going...but, you get the idea...lol...even if you end up selling it, thank you for helping me to appreciate mine a bit more  :)

pedro

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
I purchased my 16-35 II in March this year. Used. CHF 998 instead of CHF 1400 online or 1998 retail. The lens is in excellent shape. As I had a 10-22 on my 30D I wanted to get back to a classic WA on the 5D3! It is almost my walkaround lens. Again!  8) Here's some first samples

Z96A3724bMASTER by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Z96A3597bALTTLKLEINDefMASTER by Peter Hauri, on Flickr

Z96A3584b KELIN ALT2TLDEF by Peter Hauri, on Flickr
note: the photograph is upside down, the lake was used as kinda natural polifilter ;-)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:42:01 PM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
I know but I have a short period of time here before my extra photo money will run out so I was trying to get some gear Before I am wanting a lens I can no longer afford. I love my sigma 35mm now that I mfa it the iq is awesome. I am just having a hard time creatively with the 16-35.

UAW lenses are the most challenging lenses to compose images with...but also the most rewarding. With experience you will get a feel for it.  Many times it is helpful that you have a foreground element that leads you into the shot...read up on it and get some experience...I just gets better! (For instance the DJ shots on page two he uses the platter to "pull you in" to the DJ)...the shots are dynamic and almost have a feel of motion to them.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:48:50 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
http://flic.kr/p/ecFDqf

This is a shot of my cat trying to find a use. It is nice but as a previous post said. I think I am a 24mm and above guy. I just like the 24-300mm range. So maybe a 100mm Macro or the 70-300l for vacations is in my future. Either way I am just not feeling very inspired. I will return it and take a long look at do I even need anything right now. I can say I rented an 1.4 extender and did like the extra 80mm reach. So maybe that 70-300mm l is my calling for outdoors summer shots with the kids and also wildlife even though 300mm for birds is nothing.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 05:57:57 PM by KKCFamilyman »
2 x 5d iii, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt

canon rumors FORUM

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
I bought the 16-35L II several years ago because the sale price was too good to pass up. I didn't use it much for about a year. Finally I decided I had to learn how to use this lens so I went out regularly with only the 5DII and the 16-35 lens. That forced me to work out how to use the lens.

At first I was a bit frustrated because you have to look at things differently in order to see the shot opportunity. Many of the best Photojournalism shots are taken with this lens, or other ultra-wides. Check out:
http://bit.ly/Yj8uzu
http://bit.ly/XNBfa2

Google photojournalism awards and you'll notice a lot of ultra-wide shots.

Long story short, it became my favorite lens, and I rarely leave home without it.

Nice story.  I think I prefer fast telephotos to UWA's...and yet I like doing landscape...wildlife...sometimes people.  I guess I don't know what kind of photographer I am.  I know l like being able to go really wide, medium, or even really long...sometimes macro.

The only time I've been published (so far) in a national magazine, was a landscape wide angle shot (a mere Sigma 17-70mm)...of the night sky.  If it had been daytime in the same location, it never would have been noticed.  It was at home in my front yard in Tennessee...rather than in Yosemite...or...the Grand Canyon, Yellowstone, Mt. Kilimanjaro, Namibia, Madagascar, Alaska, Antarctica, Greenland...a fjord...the ISS...etc.  But I think I would like those places too.   

CarlTN

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Not with the 16-35mm but with a 10-20mm Sigma on a 1D Mark IIN. I feel it's relevant as it shows how an UWA lens can be utilised with people.

I adore UWA lenses, I love the way they put subjects into context. It's all about getting close when you use a UWA. Not always something liked by photographers, especially those who prefer to stay discrete.

Very nice shot!!  Trying to guess exposure time...1 1/2 seconds?

canon rumors FORUM