October 22, 2014, 12:03:24 AM

Author Topic: How do you print your photos for those who still do?  (Read 7194 times)

jman

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: How do you print your photos for those who still do?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »
I normally print at one of the warehouse clubs for anything smaller than an 8 x 10. I used to work at a photo center and we would often have professionals use us for their prints. The quality is very good as long as you use a calibrated monitor for your corrections. You should also know that photo labs often have their image correction turned on by default and if there is not an option online or at the store to turn it off, you can call ahead to ask them to turn it off for your order. Most of them will not have a problem working with you. That being said I did recently print a 16 x 20 family photo using bayphotos competition print and it is amazing. I love to look at it. I had it framed using museum glass that really helps eliminate reflections and you can barely tell it is there. I really enjoy prints but do not print nearly enough.
5D Mark III, EF 35mm f/1.4L, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.2L, EF 17-40 f/4L, EF 70-200 f/2.8L IS I, EF 24-70 f/2.8L I

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2013, 10:41:48 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 10:54:50 PM »
The cost to have them print an image is less than what it would cost me in paper and ink, not even considering the cost of the printer itself.

That was true in the days of darkrooms too, so what? I am no puritan but for a group of people who are keen on photography I am amazed, though truthfully not surprised, by how few of you actually print your own images.

All these heated arguments about gear, how sharp lenses are, the colours and rendition, megapixels, dynamic range etc etc, it all pales to insignificance if you don't print your own images.

Why do you insist on taking things out of context and then insulting people?

Printing today is far different today than in the darkroom days – of which I have plenty of experience. Today, most of the work that I used to do in the darkroom is done on the computer in RAW and Photoshop, using other programs when needed. I spend quite a bit of time getting the look I want and I take great pains to get it right.

But, I know the value of paying a professional to handle the mechanical aspects that I have no desire to do myself.

Even in the film days, professionals sent their color work to labs. When I worked as a newspaper photographer I did my own four-color separations for print. But, for exhibition and contest quality work I used a lab. Hell, even Cartier-Bresson had someone else print his pictures. And, news flash, so did Ansel Adams (whom so many people here treat like a God).  I know because he hired my college photography professor to print for him.

It's one thing to send your images off to the corner drug store, it's quite another to use a professional lab that knows how to extract the best prints from your digital negatives.

I you want to disagree with people, that's fine. That's what this forum is for. But don't take statements out of context and distort what people are saying.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
low volume small sixe on my canon pixma.... high volume and big size at the lab

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 11:19:40 PM »
.. My go to is Costco. For the price it's tough to beat the quality, plus it's a great excuse for a $1.50 hotdog and soda.
Ha! So true. Same here.
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 12:00:44 AM »
I sold my printer for that reason -- wasn't printing enough to justify the crippling cost of ink.

Bay Photo (used by SmugMug) has been my go to pro for years now. I understand Adorama does a good job too.
+1 for Bay Photo.  I'm always very happy with there work and there turn around time is great!
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400L, 70-200 2.8L II, 24-105L, 16-35L IS, 17-40L, 85mm 1.8, Samy 14mm 2.8,  600 EX-RT, 580EX II, 430EX II, 1.4X III, 2.0X III

alexanderferdinand

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 12:48:49 AM »
Epson 3800.

mdmphoto

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Mike McReynolds Photography
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »
I have an epson 3800 I use at home for prints to 17".  I do most of my printing on this machine, but I also have access to a print lab that has epson models up to the 7900 series, and I also use those printers depending on the image and print size .  I much prefer to do my own printing; to me it is no different than folks developing and printing their own film so that they maintain control over the finished image. My fashion photog buddy sends all his print work to costco, or simply gives the models a thumb drive of their images to print where- and however they want.  To each their own...
6D, 7D,50D, 17-55IS, 24-105L, 70-200 Fl2.8L IS, 135L, tokina 16-28, 150-500 & a buffet more, 580 EXII, 430 EXII, AB 800's

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 12:51:29 AM »

Quasimodo

• 1D Mark IV
  • Easily intrigued :)
    • View Profile
    • 500px.com
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2013, 01:46:51 AM »
I realize a lot of people don't print as much as before, but when you do how do you do it? Do you print at home or you go to the store? I used the printer at the pharmacy stores and i got so mad looking at the quality. I dont need magazine quality but I don't need garbage either. I am thinking about canon pixma pro printer but then I'm worried I'm not going to be using it enough to justify the cost. Please share your experience. I'm especially interested to know if there's any online services that can produce decent prints at okay price. Thx in advance.

Depends on the size. If A3+ or smaller I print home on my Pixma Pro 1 and LOVE the result. If bigger, I print on the main camerastore in Oslo, and am happy with the results, also because they have great quality control.

Remember that if you buy the Pixma Pro series you should preferably print (size does not matter, so it can be very small) once a week to prevent it from drying out, thus having to waste a lot of ink when enabling the program to get it rinsed. Ink is always an issue, but it takes many type of 3 party papers, thus giving you the chance to print on excellent paper like Canson and Hanhemuhle and other great paper sources.
1Dx, (7D II) 5x600 EX RT, ST-E3
Canon:16-35L II,  24-105L , 70-200L IS II, 135L, 100L, 2x III TC, EF 25II, 40 F2.8 STM, 50 F1.4. Sigma 35 F1.4 Art, Sigma 50 F1.4 Art, Sigma 85 F1.4, Sigma 150-500.
www.500px.com/gerhard1972

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2013, 03:02:30 AM »
When I want a print, I go to one place- Bay Photo.  I get my pics printed on the aircraft grade aluminum, high gloss, rounded corners, with the optional back spacer with holes to hang the pic.

They look great, don't need glass, or mat, or a wire to hang up or anything.  Large prints usually around $100 or so compared to many hundreds to get fancy framing etc. 

Bay photos gives great color, sharpness, service, turnaround, etc.  Always happy with them.  True, they only do jpeg, but as long as monitor is calibrated, and original is sharp, I get great pics (at least 24 X 24 inches, maybe more).
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

The Bad Duck

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2013, 05:12:02 AM »
Online print stores. I´m Swedish so there seem to be little point in pointing you to the companies here, but I use Fujidirekt and Crimson. It´s too expensive to own a printer that prints big enough, I have a look at them every year, calculate and reject.

I still strongly feel that there is no substitute to slide film when it comes to experiencing a photo. But slides are too limiting to work with, so instead I, like almost everyone else, shoot digital and then I print my photos. There is no way you can compare a big print of 1m x 70 cm to a photo viewed on a monitor or any kind of screen. The print blows it away. So to me it´s slides > big prints > small prints > 30" monitor > any monitor > smartphone.

Print my friends, print. If you don´t print then maybe you don´t like the photos but the cameras. (There is nothing wrong with that, it´s just not photography that is your hobby but playing with cameras). Just sayin´.
And if you have not printed something big, you should give it a try. A2 (100 x 70 cm) is adictive. It helps me to think, every time I shoot, that THIS photo should be printed big. That makes me try harder and really make good photos. Then in the end I only get 2% really good shots, but hey...

Canon 14-24

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2013, 06:00:00 AM »
Remember that if you buy the Pixma Pro series you should preferably print (size does not matter, so it can be very small) once a week to prevent it from drying out, thus having to waste a lot of ink when enabling the program to get it rinsed. Ink is always an issue, but it takes many type of 3 party papers, thus giving you the chance to print on excellent paper like Canson and Hanhemuhle and other great paper sources.

I print on my Pixma Pro9000 Mark II maybe a few 13x19" every 3 months or so. I havent had any drying up issues and the ones still in there seem to work and print fine. I though the "drying" up issue was with pigment based inks over the dyes in the Pixma series?

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2013, 06:05:29 AM »
Drugstore printing has been hit or miss for me.  The deciding factor, seems to be if it's on photo paper.  It's usually better if it's not done on photo paper.  The price is great, though, compared to the specialized online print stores and labs.  I have yet to try these stores' metal prints, but will do so soon. 

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »
I haven't print last 2-3yrs. All photos are currently display through 19" digital photo frame.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/706737-REG/Aluratek_ADMPF119_ADMPF119_19_Digital_Photo.html

Curious why you would get that when we have computers... Thx

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2013, 06:11:26 AM »

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2013, 06:41:36 AM »
I've had a few photo albums done by Adorama and have been very happy with them.

I have my own darkroom set up at home.  Typically using an LPL 6700 medium format enlarger, using a variety of Schneider and Fuji lenses.  In recent years, I've been using Foma FB paper almost exclusively, which I feel is good value.  11x14 is my favourite size.  But, as with some others above, I seem to do less printing as time goes by.  I haven't printed anything since Christmas.

With digital prints, I've often thought of purchasing a quality printer so that I can do more experimenting.  But the costs of buying a good printer, ongoing ink costs and the infrequency with which I'd use it have always discouraged me.  Instead, I get digital prints (and C41 film developed) at a local department store - Big W, Capalaba.  They do good work there. 
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »
Ok, from this thread, I've gathered that the top places to get prints are (in no particular order):

1. Adorama
2. Costco
3. Bayphoto (I'll have to look that up, first I've heard of them)
4. Smugmug (new to me too).

Are these the top places you send your stuff? Would you add another to the list?

Where out of these are the best to send for just regular prints you'd give grandma?
Where are the best (for price and product) to get something for wall hanging (print, canvas, acrylic) if going bit up to maybe 36x48" ?

Thanks in advance,

cayenne

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2013, 09:06:25 AM »