September 02, 2014, 10:10:57 PM

Author Topic: 21mp Sensor in the 7D Mark II? [CR1]  (Read 34119 times)

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: 21mp Sensor in the 7D Mark II? [CR1]
« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »
I know two different prototypes. But no one has a Digic 6 in it.

It´s time that Canon reduces the price of the 5D Mark III around 2000 bucks and put a FF camera between the 5D Mark III and 1D X on the market that is worth the money you pay for it. I need a better IQ in the range ISO 50 to ISO 800.
Couldn't agree with you more. Over here in Belgium, the 5DMkIII is still 3,000€ and the D800 now about 2,300€...  ::) Really beginning to contemplate whether or not to get a D800...  :P
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 19, 2013, 04:56:20 AM »

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 19, 2013, 04:58:11 AM »
A 21mp sensor makes more sense than 24, since Canon's crop sensors have been, and likely will continue to be, the underdog from a technical standpoint, relative to the competition's crop sensors (which are all slightly larger in surface area...1.5x vs. 1.6x...besides having better measured performance).

Diko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 19, 2013, 05:46:33 AM »
If only Canon would announce they had a 21mp sensor with the same or better low light high ISO low noise capabilities as that other mob, That would be worth hearing.

Agree!

My 15.1mp Canon 50d was awfully noisy.  This sensor would have to do better.

What should I say with my 40D... :-(

I too am hoping that Canon's next generation of APS-C sensors has better high ISO performance, but it's not like the current 18mp sensor is significantly worse than the current Nikon offerings.

Who confirmed you that the will have next generation sensor? So far we know that 70D & 7D2 will have own CMOS, but it is NOT 100% that it will be Next Gen. :-( I am sorry for telling you that. I myself am expecting nothing less than the best... but so far everyone state that 7D2 will be with DIGIC5 and NOT DIGIC6, although it exist in another camera from Canon already.
18 MP. 21 MP. 24 MP. Even 15 MP.  Frankly, I don't especially care.  If it does a full stop or more better in terms of high ISO noise performance for RAW images vs. the 7D, a 7DII will be interesting to me. If not, no interest.

+1

Better high ISO performance is a must.  Usable ISO at and above 3200 is key... I have the ISO max on my 7D set at 1600.  Anything higher I have to render in B&W to be usable.

Finally someone like me. I would ADD Dynamic Range improvment to the ISO. I don't care about VIDEO at all.
Although having in mind that current camera have 25K ISO...

I wonder will we see DIGIC 6, or dual fives in the 7DII? Not sure how adding more pixels to either camera will improve anything. I guess it's not a huge jump though I can't see the high ISO looking any better than it does now on a 7D. Wish they'd stick with 18mp and just aim at improving image quality but then where's the marketing strategy? Numbers sell.
They could pull it off with the Dual Digic 5plus.. that wouldn't be bad.  Dual Digic 6 may be a screamer though!  Looking forward to some Cr2 rumors!

If higher ISO - definetely dual Digic6. If better Dynamic Range - better CMOS.

They might use dual 5+ again this time, but I still have my hopes up for Digic 6.
A considerable delay on a model could mean they've put Digic 6 on it.
FWIW, I bet we're gonna be seing 2x 5+ on the 7dmk2, and digic 6 on the 70D. ;)

Interesting idea. ;-) But not likely, because - 7D2 is the flagship for APS-C.

Regardless of MP count I would buy it (probably during Christmas time) ... 3 features I care about are:
a. better ISO performance
b. in-built HDR
c. ability to do at least 5 bracketed shots.

Good idea indeed. With 7D2 with dual DIGIC6 and in-built HDR bracketing with OUTPUT in RAW. That would be fascinating.

1. If a camera is due for release in the next six months, they wouldn't be making decisions about what is going to be in the camera.  They know already and have already made that decision.  If they haven't then the camera will take longer than 6 months to come to market.

True about marketing - however marketing needs time to make research and make decisions. Parallel to them - R&D need time to create and prepare for a final release a model - that is why different prototypes meanwhile are made. Then Marketing makes the call. A call that would be most recent and adequate to the current market. ;-) That simple it is.

ALL OF THIS STUFF IS SPECULATION PEOPLE.  HEAR SAY.  ANECDOTAL EVIDENCE.  A DUMPING GROUND FOR PROTOTYPE SPECS THAT WILL NEVER SEE THE LIGHT OF DAY.  THIS SITE IS FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT - THAT'S IT.  STOP BASING YOUR HAPPINESS OFF OF WHAT YOU READ HERE.
Did anyone else hear that?  :o

NOPE  8)

MichaelHodges

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 19, 2013, 06:19:25 AM »
I'd need to see improved noise and dynamic range at low ISO to consider moving to a 7D II.  I really don't care about the megapixels.  15 was plenty for me on the 50D (which was consistently sharper with the same lenses than my 7D).

-----------

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/

DzPhotography

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 19, 2013, 06:29:50 AM »
I'd need to see improved noise and dynamic range at low ISO to consider moving to a 7D II.  I really don't care about the megapixels.  15 was plenty for me on the 50D (which was consistently sharper with the same lenses than my 7D).

-----------

http://michaelhodgesfiction.com/
same here. For me they can even drop down to 12MP.  ::) HTC is doing it also :P
EOS 550D | EOS 7D | EOS 6D | EOS 1Dx | EF-S 15-85 | EF 28f2.8 | EF 30f2.0 | EF 40f2.8 | EF 50f1.8II | EF 16-35f2.8L MkII | EF 24-105 f4L | EF 24-70f2.8L | EF 70-200f2.8L MkII | Sigma 10f2.8 Fisheye | Sigma 50f1.4 | Tamron 17-50f2.8VC | Tokina 11-16f2.8 | 430EXII | 580EXII

docsmith

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 19, 2013, 07:15:17 AM »
18 MP. 21 MP. 24 MP. Even 15 MP.  Frankly, I don't especially care.  If it does a full stop or more better in terms of high ISO noise performance for RAW images vs. the 7D, a 7DII will be interesting to me. If not, no interest.

+1. And it better be more  :P.
For most, price point will also matter.  I know Nikon is typically considered Canon's competition, but in this case, I think Canon's own 5DIII is giving the hypothetical 7DII a lot of competition as the prices get closer.  Canon had either get the 7DII specs (or an improved spec, such as DR) closer to the 5DIII if they want to price the 7DII >$2,200 or shoot for the 1 stop improvement and be sub $2,000 with the 7DII.

What would get my interest is the "mini-1DX" rumor with new sensor tech, 1.5-2 stop ISO performance, the finer grain noise of the 5DIII, and improved DR.  That said, it is seems more and more likely that the 7DII will be more of a nice but modestl upgrade (1 stop ISO improvement, modest new sensor tech, 10 fps, hopefully better AF) but be priced at $1,600-$1,700.  That would be a great camera for a lot of people, just not one I'll buy.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:46 AM »
I wonder if it will be a new process with modern levels of low ISO DR or not.
If not, then I'd be fearing for even the 5D4 :( to get such a sensor.
Well, if you passed the 5D3 and stayed with the MKII I can relate to that. I went FF from a 30D. So the 5DIII to me is an awesome step up. I am courious what a 5DIV may hold sensorwise and for ultra high ISO 51k and beyond.
I will wait out a 5DV...just because the 5DIII is plenty of camera for me. Only reason to buy a new one will be improved ultra high ISO IQ...So I just wonder what my 25k ISO will look like by 2017  8)
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2013, 07:33:46 AM »

stefsan

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #52 on: April 19, 2013, 08:01:34 AM »
I'm still saving the money to buy a 5DIII and the glass to match it (24-105 and 16-35 II). But if Canon puts out a 7DII with better DR, good high ISO capabilities (i.e. pictures without ugly banding noise up to ISO 6400), AF system, frame rate and weather sealing at least as good as the one of the 7D I would gladly take one. Even if the body would be more expensive than the original 7D I would take it because I would not have to spend anything on new lenses.
EOS 7D; EOS 40D; EF 70-200 f4 L; EF 70-300 L; EF 100 f2.8; EF-S 15-85; EF-S 10-22 | http://www.flickr.com/photos/stefsan/
http://stefsan.smugmug.com

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 19, 2013, 08:59:34 AM »
If we put the pieces of information we have together, then it seems like it is better to wait for the 70D / 7DII, than having it now. Why? It really looks like Canon is planing a bigger step in the sensor design, but it seems they are behind schedule. So especially for the 70D there seem to be two posibilities, the old 18MP or a new 21-24MP sensor. The longer we have to wait, the higher seems the posibility that we get the new sensor (depending on the problems Canon has with the new sensor).

I still have hopes that Canon will introduce the 70D with the new sensor, even though we heard different rumors recently. Why would Canon introduce a new senor in a lower end camera (100D, SL1), and not bring the 70D alongside the 700D, and then bring the SL1 some weeks later. And why didn't they bring the 70D already, since it is overdue after 2 1/2 years, when Canon has all the stuff they need (including sensor) ready. It looks to me (and I hope so), that they are delaying the 70D so they can introduce it with the new sensor.

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 19, 2013, 10:03:08 AM »
If we put the pieces of information we have together, then it seems like it is better to wait for the 70D / 7DII, than having it now. Why? It really looks like Canon is planing a bigger step in the sensor design, but it seems they are behind schedule. So especially for the 70D there seem to be two posibilities, the old 18MP or a new 21-24MP sensor. The longer we have to wait, the higher seems the posibility that we get the new sensor (depending on the problems Canon has with the new sensor).

I still have hopes that Canon will introduce the 70D with the new sensor, even though we heard different rumors recently. Why would Canon introduce a new senor in a lower end camera (100D, SL1), and not bring the 70D alongside the 700D, and then bring the SL1 some weeks later. And why didn't they bring the 70D already, since it is overdue after 2 1/2 years, when Canon has all the stuff they need (including sensor) ready. It looks to me (and I hope so), that they are delaying the 70D so they can introduce it with the new sensor.

Breaking news of a new and improved Canon sensor-design approach will be the best news to me! As I am a slow upgrader (30D to 5D3: 5 years) there will be quite some development in the meantime till I possibly buy another (5D) body in about 5 years from now. Looking forward to these news...!
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

jebrady03

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 19, 2013, 10:17:07 AM »
And why didn't they bring the 70D already, since it is overdue after 2 1/2 years, when Canon has all the stuff they need (including sensor) ready. It looks to me (and I hope so), that they are delaying the 70D so they can introduce it with the new sensor.

Who said it was overdue and/or that they're delaying the 70D?  Internet expectations?  Or Canon?  Perhaps Canon believes they're ahead of schedule.  Because other than some not-so-vague comments from Canon employees who were put on the spot, I don't recall reading/hearing anything about the 70D or the 7D2 especially in regards to an impending announcement or due date.

So again, are these YOUR expectations from reading a RUMORS site, or are these missed deadlines that Canon has self-imposed?  Obviously a rhetorical question...

Talk on this website has REALLY gone from "rumors" to "if _____ doesn't fit my personal expectations then it's ______ (fill in the blank with negative thoughts)."

gecko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 19, 2013, 10:50:25 AM »
All this just makes me wonder how long it will be before some innovative company comes along and 'Black Magics' Canon, with an EF mount body having something like 1DX performance at a 70D price.
EOS 3, 7D, 5DII, EF 17-40 f4L, EF 100-400 f4-5.6L,  TS-E 24 f3.5 II, Zeiss 21.

aj1575

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »
And why didn't they bring the 70D already, since it is overdue after 2 1/2 years, when Canon has all the stuff they need (including sensor) ready. It looks to me (and I hope so), that they are delaying the 70D so they can introduce it with the new sensor.

Who said it was overdue and/or that they're delaying the 70D?  Internet expectations?  Or Canon?  Perhaps Canon believes they're ahead of schedule.  Because other than some not-so-vague comments from Canon employees who were put on the spot, I don't recall reading/hearing anything about the 70D or the 7D2 especially in regards to an impending announcement or due date.

So again, are these YOUR expectations from reading a RUMORS site, or are these missed deadlines that Canon has self-imposed?  Obviously a rhetorical question...

If you would have takeen yourself more time to read, then you would have probably realized, that I wrote "It looks to me", so it was not even a rethorical question you wrote, it was just not a very intelligent question, because it just showed, that you did not read what I wrote.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 19, 2013, 10:58:36 AM »

drjlo

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 19, 2013, 12:18:14 PM »
All this just makes me wonder how long it will be before some innovative company comes along and 'Black Magics' Canon, with an EF mount body having something like 1DX performance at a 70D price.

Makes me smile just thinking about it  8)  Especially if that "Black Magic" body incorporated the Sony/D800 type FF sensor and came with the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 as kit lens, but in full frame version.  One can dream..

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »

Talk on this website has REALLY gone from "rumors" to "if _____ doesn't fit my personal expectations then it's ______ (fill in the blank with negative thoughts)."

Have you ever heard about competition?

Canon is deciding on the sensor while the D7100 has been shipping and making people happy for a while. That's what makes Canon look late. They're not the only player in the game, and the show goes on with or without them.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 19, 2013, 12:27:59 PM »