July 22, 2014, 04:14:24 AM

Author Topic: DSLR Video. Sony is about to kick Canon's you know what  (Read 5721 times)

elusive1

DSLR Video. Sony is about to kick Canon's you know what
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »
For Stills, I'm sure Canon may still have the edge, but in terms of DSLR video, Canon is about to get completely blown out of the water by Sony. Canon needs to stop being lazy and start updating their ancient Camera bodies. Sony's cameras are also the future by using mirrorless EVF designs.

This is good for everyone, because Canon will now be forced to compete.

The link

http://www.eoshd.com/content/3604/new-sony-nex7-a77-dslrs-have-full-manual-video-controls-and-avchd-2

The article from EOS HD:

Sony have officially joined the DSLR video scene.

The A77, NEX7 and VG20 will support AVCHD 2.0, with full HD 1080p at 60/50/25/24p and full manual control in P,A,S,M modes according to SonyAlphaRumors.com

This is brilliant news and just what we needed from Sony.

The cameras will offer better image quality than our current video capable DSLRs, certainly better than the 7D and GH2, better low light performance than the 5DMkII, much improved resolution and of course 1080/60p for the first time on a DSLR.

There’s also a rumour that the new Sony image processor removes rolling shutter electronically in real-time and has been developed from scratch with video performance in mind. The cameras and lenses are video optimised and will not have the artefacts of old DSLRs like moire and aliasing.

ISO on the Sony A77 and NEX7 will go all the way to 102,800 and early indications are that noise is substantially reduced despite the sensor being 24MP.

Canikon now have some serious issues, if they do not replace their dated DSLRs soon they’ll lose huge market share to Sony. The 5DMkII will be 3 years old in November. WHERE are the new Canons?

I can now say for certain what my next DSLR is going to be. Roll on August 24th!
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 01:44:31 PM by elusive1 »

canon rumors FORUM

DSLR Video. Sony is about to kick Canon's you know what
« on: August 03, 2011, 01:41:44 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: DSLR Video. Sony is about to kick Canon's you know what
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 01:45:43 PM »
Yes, I'm sure Canon is shaking in their collective shoes.  I just hope the new Sony cameras are water-resistant...after you get your new Sony and use it for a couple of months, Canon will release something so much better that your drool might just short out your shiny new Sony.   ::)
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 01:47:02 PM »
Competition is GOOD!  I believe its the main reason for progress in most endeavors.

I can imagine that Sony was smarting after the 5D MK II came out, and saw a need to do one step better.  Sony has lots of video knowhow, and I am happy to see them put it to use.

We should welcome it, because it will make the competition fish or cut bait!

Canihaspicture

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 02:03:20 PM »
... wait Sony makes a DSLR?

(I'm kidding)

awinphoto

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 02:09:19 PM »
Competition is GOOD!  I believe its the main reason for progress in most endeavors.

I can imagine that Sony was smarting after the 5D MK II came out, and saw a need to do one step better.  Sony has lots of video knowhow, and I am happy to see them put it to use.

We should welcome it, because it will make the competition fish or cut bait!

Couldn't have said it better  :D
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

elusive1

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 02:32:34 PM »
Yes, I'm sure Canon is shaking in their collective shoes.  I just hope the new Sony cameras are water-resistant...after you get your new Sony and use it for a couple of months, Canon will release something so much better that your drool might just short out your shiny new Sony.   ::)

The thing is Neurmantist, we've been waiting for EVER for Canon to fix their video, and with rumors of no 5D3 or video camera till next summer 2012, Canon will get a serious beating for sure in the video department. Fact is, Canon moves very, very slow; and Sony wants to aggressively take over. Sony also a LOT more money than Canon, so Canon needs to makes some moves quick and not wait till 1 year from now for their releases.

NormanBates

• 6D
  • www.similaar.com
    • View Profile
    • www.similaar.com
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »
my thoughts are just the opposite of what neuroanatomist seems to think: I will only listen to actions, promises and rumors won't do, and I'm a b1tch ready to jump in bed with any other manufacturer that gives me what I want at a reasonable price (that's why all my lenses are vintage, manual, with large focal flange distance, cheaply adaptable to nikon, canon, sony, m43, nearly anything)

the bits that are not addressed here are line skipping and color (general look)

if they can get very high ISO values without too much noise, they may be using proper subsampling (which smoothes noise out), which means much less aliasing/moire, and much better sharpness; this is the single biggest problem with my current canon 550D, and whoever solves it in a tight budget and without breaking anything else will get my money

the color thing is very important too: the general look (and lack of some features and frame rates) is what keeps me away from the GH2, even though it doesn't use line skipping; we won't know a thing about this until the camera is out and in the hands of very knowledgeable people

edit:
this seems to be more than just a rumor:
http://philipbloom.net/2011/08/03/sony-enters-the-video-dslr-revolution-finally-a-bit-late-but-not-too-late/
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 03:23:09 PM by NormanBates »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 02:53:35 PM »

gene_can_sing

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:39:24 PM »
This is great, Canon Sony wants to be the leader and is backing it up lately with great products. I think I also read somewhere that Sony is also seriously beefing up their lenses as well, with video optimized IS.

Edwin Herdman

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:49:43 PM »
The thing is Neurmantist, we've been waiting for EVER for Canon to fix their video, and with rumors of no 5D3 or video camera till next summer 2012, Canon will get a serious beating for sure in the video department. Fact is, Canon moves very, very slow; and Sony wants to aggressively take over. Sony also a LOT more money than Canon, so Canon needs to makes some moves quick and not wait till 1 year from now for their releases.
We've been waiting for everybody to "fix their video."  A lack of binning is not unique to Canon cameras.  What you say may apply more to Canon products that are actually designed for video, since some random posters here say they've skipping away from Canon to other retailers of ENG and camcorder type products.  But this is not at all the same as the DSLR market.

All I see that Sony has an advantage in is the continuous focus of the newer small Alpha DSLRs, but that half-silvered pellicle mirror is really nothing new and furthermore causes proven (if slight) image problems stills shooting.

Whether tis better to reflex the mirrors and prisms of outrageous 35mm format cameras, or to EVF, is really a personal preference - with pros generally sticking to the viewfinder for most things.  There are some advantages to the EVF but they are not overwhelming (the dual system on EOS SLRs, including live view and image review, is probably best in some ways, discounting pellicle mirror systems for the image hit).

The cameras will offer better image quality than our current video capable DSLRs, certainly better than the 7D and GH2, better low light performance than the 5DMkII, much improved resolution and of course 1080/60p for the first time on a DSLR.
This is just foolish.  Of course a new DSLR should be more than competitive with two- or three-year old SLRs for video quality - but you wouldn't know that because you haven't used these new Sony Wondercams.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 05:52:13 PM by Edwin Herdman »

Gothmoth

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 06:34:42 PM »
what is that with all the trolls that register lately i wonder?

The thing is Neurmantist, we've been waiting for EVER for Canon to fix their video

how old are you 12 years?
yeah in that age it might seem like a long time.  :)
i remember summer holidays seem to last forever.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 06:37:18 PM by Gothmoth »

TonyY

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2011, 01:37:28 PM »
I totally agree, my Sony 5n + several cheap Y/C zeiss lenes are kicking my 5D MarkII + L lenses butts in contrast, sharpest and color. I am so so upset.

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2011, 02:19:58 PM »
Just wait until 2012 when I'm sure Canon will come back with a vengance.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »

I can imagine that Sony was smarting after the 5D MK II came out...
Competition keeps the juices flowing. Bring it on Sony!

Nothing keeps you smart and hungry and innovative like smart and hungry competitors who keep pushing the envelope. It doesn't matter whether you make cars, cameras or cakes.  It's much the same with your own competition...other photographers.

And who are the winners? We are, the people who are always ready to drop the Visa card on a product that will give us a competitive advantage, a creative edge or just plain more fun in our work.

Paul Wright
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 06:05:52 PM by pwp »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2011, 05:59:59 PM »

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2011, 06:24:52 PM »
Personally I'd rather see an ultra high end Still only camera that puts ALL the resources and effort into fantastic still images. Video for me is a novelty, (I never use it on a DSLR) if I was interested in it seriously I would get a dedicated video camera. I'm sure many Still Phtographers agree. Also i'm not quite sure the crop sensor sony is really going to compete with ff of either canon or nikon in the still department not to mention the glass hanging off the front
APS-H Fanboy

Hillsilly

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »
I wouldn't write Sony off that easily.  Their crop sensors are cutting edge technology, whereas the 5Dii is three years old.   In some tests, the new crop sensor outperforms the old FF sensor.  Sony are about to release a new FF camera which supposedly builds on their crop sensor technology and will be industry leading (I've heard that Nikon might be using this sensor in their new D800, which will be their 5Diii competitor).  And their Zeiss lenses are often rated as being better than Canon's.  Sony's pricing strategy is also very competitive.  And the A77 shows that they are at least thinking about innovation.

Until recently, I would have agreed with the comment above.  Would any self respecting photographer shoot with a Sony?  Where's the heritage?  Why aren't the pros using them?  But over the last year, the praise given to the Sony sensored D7000 and Pentax K5 has made me re-evaluate them and I think Sony are catching up fast.  If I was Canon, I'd be worried about how the 5Diii stacks up to the A99. 
« Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 09:19:04 PM by Hillsilly »
1000FN | 7E | 3000 | 3 | LS-100TS

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2011, 07:46:43 PM »