July 29, 2014, 01:42:39 AM

Author Topic: 1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.  (Read 17533 times)

Jesse

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
Re: 1dx plus 85 1.2 is great for night street photography.
« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »
By the way, since when is shooting girls in a strip club considered street photography?
5D3, 8-15 f/4 L, 24-70 f/2.8 II L, 50 f/1.4, 70-200 f/4 IS L, 85 f/1.8, 100 f/2.8 L, 600EX-RT x2, CS6, LR5

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 20, 2013, 08:14:52 PM »

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 20, 2013, 08:19:01 PM »
enjoy what?

Feel free to choose. I'm considering enjoying one Mike's hard.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 20, 2013, 08:24:26 PM »
By the way, since when is shooting girls in a strip club considered street photography?

No picture posted here is from a strip club. What am I missing??

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 20, 2013, 08:25:55 PM »
Let me guess, you've never been to Thailand?

If you go, be careful, or you might return even more confused.

Hahaha! True, though those bars are really quite good as the contents are as labelled on the tin, so to speak. It is the bars that are not "ladyboy" specific that you have to really be careful in, as in those it is very easy to believe that they are all ladies, when of course they are not (mainly).

Do post your pic though.  :o ;) :)

Sanj, how long are you in Bangkok for?

I am back home already. Do you live in Bangkok? I may have a trip there again.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:24 PM »
ISO 2500. F 1.4.
Right outside Nana Square.

I like the contrast & color of this combo. Awesome shots sanj

How is 85L AF speed in low light with 1D X? I'm shooting with 5D III, I'm not sure that would be the same?

I find the AF speed fast enough on both cameras. It is not so slow that we would miss shots. THX

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 20, 2013, 08:27:57 PM »
Let the man enjoy his gear, I'm sure he worked hard to get them. ^_~

Appreciate!

TrumpetPower!

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »
ISO 2000. 1.2 1/640

In fairness, the 1DX wasn't even breathing hard, let alone breaking a sweat. You'd need to go at least a half dozen stops darker before it really starts to pull away from the competition.

But nice photography, nonetheless. HCB would nod approval.

Cheers,

b&

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 20, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

olivander

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 20, 2013, 10:48:57 PM »
I run a small photography company with 9 shooters we've got pretty much every sort of body for different things, I use a 1DX when we have to shoot festivals/big acts, Rihanna, Aerosmith, big names, that kinda stuff. for street stuff the 85 1.2 isn't as sharp as the 1.8 for a lot of practical applications and also heavy. I use both lenses btw, for portraiture it's a great lens, it produces some results you can't get from any other lens. I don't use it half as much as I used to, but it's still a really bloody good lens.

The best street set ups are usually compact if I'm street shooting I prefer the 5D/6D and the 28mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8, 50 1.4/1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. I usually tape mine up, and usually take my Mark III. Usually taped up, if I need a flash a 280EX is enough.

Anything with a red ring draws attention, I also dress in dark clothes, and never take a camera bag, usually just a shitty backpack with a camera bag insert.

I've had junkies try to mug me twice (I'm based in Sydney), I've been knocked around a few times, and had a guy punch me in the head leaving me bleeding, luckily the dude did nothing to my gear but that was whilst doing a job a few weeks ago at night. ~ I do a lot of event work though so it comes with the territory, we cater for a lot of clubs, bars, live music.

I'm making these points because whilst Sanj's point is right, that set up is technically superior, the 1DX is load, bulky and you can't force it under your jacket like a 5D with a 50mm.

Street for the most part is about really blending in. In some places you can get away with it, but I like the fact street work leaves expensive gear at home, and makes me move towards the bare essentials. A person raised it well before that nothing beats good composition no matter what camera you have, I think that's true, but good composition often requires better equipment to be able to make the shots in low light, if your max iso is 1600 then things can get a little tough.

Anyway that was my 2C

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 20, 2013, 11:21:58 PM »
Enjoy:

http://www.patana.fi/photo/Thailand/Samui/slides/IMG_2870.jpg

Your link does not work, at least not for me.

No, but I spend an awful lot of time there and know it very, very well. If I see a guy with a 1DX hanging around Nana, I will say hello!  ;)

I've had junkies try to mug me twice (I'm based in Sydney), I've been knocked around a few times, and had a guy punch me in the head leaving me bleeding, luckily the dude did nothing to my gear but that was whilst doing a job a few weeks ago at night.

Thankfully in Thailand it is pretty safe but going somewhere like Nana Plaza (not Square for whoever posted that!), or anywhere seedy where prostitutes and clients mix so openly, and getting any form of camera out is always risky business.

A few years ago I was on an official assignment, and photographers from all of the world had been flown into this particular city. Every top publication in the world was there. At night we were taken to the nightlife area to film and photograph. It did not take long before a guy, completely off his face on drink, came up to me and started talking about how he was tourist police this that the other. It was a situation that could have become very ugly, very fast, but thankfully the guy backed down [eventually] and went back to his beer.

Another country, again I was an official photographer for a major international event. I was snapping away and this guy approached me and very politely asked if I would not take his picture because his wife thought he was in South Africa on business!! Sure, I obliged and made sure he was not in any shots. He was not even doing anything funny, he'd just lied to the wife.

The point is some people just do not want to be photographed in a red light district with their arms wrapped around one or two prostitutes. I rarely go to Nana these days, but even I do not like it if I am in a bar and someone gets a camera (even if it is their mobile) out. Some freaky stuff goes on in these bars and I do not particularly want my picture associated with it.

That's why I said to Sanj earlier in the thread to be careful, Thailand and SE Asia is very safe, but mix alcohol, tonnes of testosterone, prostitutes and a lack of understanding of local ways, and you may have bother.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

docholliday

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 20, 2013, 11:42:28 PM »
While the 1Dx isn't small, it IS much better for beating the hell out of them than the tiny bodies, especially if you keep a monopod at hand too...at least my DsIII seems to thinks so!

I run a small photography company with 9 shooters we've got pretty much every sort of body for different things, I use a 1DX when we have to shoot festivals/big acts, Rihanna, Aerosmith, big names, that kinda stuff. for street stuff the 85 1.2 isn't as sharp as the 1.8 for a lot of practical applications and also heavy. I use both lenses btw, for portraiture it's a great lens, it produces some results you can't get from any other lens. I don't use it half as much as I used to, but it's still a really bloody good lens.

The best street set ups are usually compact if I'm street shooting I prefer the 5D/6D and the 28mm 1.8, 40mm 2.8, 50 1.4/1.8 and the 85mm 1.8. I usually tape mine up, and usually take my Mark III. Usually taped up, if I need a flash a 280EX is enough.

Anything with a red ring draws attention, I also dress in dark clothes, and never take a camera bag, usually just a shitty backpack with a camera bag insert.

I've had junkies try to mug me twice (I'm based in Sydney), I've been knocked around a few times, and had a guy punch me in the head leaving me bleeding, luckily the dude did nothing to my gear but that was whilst doing a job a few weeks ago at night. ~ I do a lot of event work though so it comes with the territory, we cater for a lot of clubs, bars, live music.

I'm making these points because whilst Sanj's point is right, that set up is technically superior, the 1DX is load, bulky and you can't force it under your jacket like a 5D with a 50mm.

Street for the most part is about really blending in. In some places you can get away with it, but I like the fact street work leaves expensive gear at home, and makes me move towards the bare essentials. A person raised it well before that nothing beats good composition no matter what camera you have, I think that's true, but good composition often requires better equipment to be able to make the shots in low light, if your max iso is 1600 then things can get a little tough.

Anyway that was my 2C
« Last Edit: April 20, 2013, 11:49:26 PM by docholliday »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 21, 2013, 12:32:16 AM »
Okay, I know, it's not Street Photography, it's also not Nana at night (last time I was there was 1969 when I was in the Army, hasn't changed much either from what I see of Sanj's shots).

But it is the 1Dx and it is the 85f/1.2 L II, shot at f/5.6 & 1/125th ISO800.

The subject though is male, a real one, albeit Simian, to my eye a better looking subject than Sanj's earlier post with the He/She & the fag in the mouth, but I like Sanj's use of the Combo, great stuff.

Japan's "Street", sorry Snow Monkeys Nagano.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 21, 2013, 12:35:49 AM »
Great shot, eml58. Been a while since I was in Nagano, and I did not even see monkeys when I was there.

1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »
Enjoy:

http://www.patana.fi/photo/Thailand/Samui/slides/IMG_2870.jpg

Your link does not work, at least not for me.

No, but I spend an awful lot of time there and know it very, very well. If I see a guy with a 1DX hanging around Nana, I will say hello!  ;)

I've had junkies try to mug me twice (I'm based in Sydney), I've been knocked around a few times, and had a guy punch me in the head leaving me bleeding, luckily the dude did nothing to my gear but that was whilst doing a job a few weeks ago at night.

Thankfully in Thailand it is pretty safe but going somewhere like Nana Plaza (not Square for whoever posted that!), or anywhere seedy where prostitutes and clients mix so openly, and getting any form of camera out is always risky business.

A few years ago I was on an official assignment, and photographers from all of the world had been flown into this particular city. Every top publication in the world was there. At night we were taken to the nightlife area to film and photograph. It did not take long before a guy, completely off his face on drink, came up to me and started talking about how he was tourist police this that the other. It was a situation that could have become very ugly, very fast, but thankfully the guy backed down [eventually] and went back to his beer.

Another country, again I was an official photographer for a major international event. I was snapping away and this guy approached me and very politely asked if I would not take his picture because his wife thought he was in South Africa on business!! Sure, I obliged and made sure he was not in any shots. He was not even doing anything funny, he'd just lied to the wife.

The point is some people just do not want to be photographed in a red light district with their arms wrapped around one or two prostitutes. I rarely go to Nana these days, but even I do not like it if I am in a bar and someone gets a camera (even if it is their mobile) out. Some freaky stuff goes on in these bars and I do not particularly want my picture associated with it.

That's why I said to Sanj earlier in the thread to be careful, Thailand and SE Asia is very safe, but mix alcohol, tonnes of testosterone, prostitutes and a lack of understanding of local ways, and you may have bother.

Very well said.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 21, 2013, 12:37:36 AM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 21, 2013, 12:43:27 AM »
Great shot, eml58. Been a while since I was in Nagano, and I did not even see monkeys when I was there.

Thanks appreciated, Spent 3 weeks in Japan Dec '12 January 2103, Mostly Tokyo/Kyoto/Osaka & finished with Nagano & 3 Days shooting the Snow Monkeys, well worth the trip, needs to be in winter for the Snow sitting on their Heads, it was the first time I'de taken a Holiday & just decided to leave the Zooms at home, on this trip it was all Primes, 24f/1.4, 50f/1.2, 85f/1.2, 135f/2, 200f/2, most used Lens ended up being the 135f/2, amazing Lens for a 1996 construct. The Lens I most liked to use was the 200f/2.

The place to see the Monkeys is called Jigokudani, Nagano prefecture, you walk in the last 2 Kilometres, not a difficult walk, Monkeys hang out in a Hot Spring next to a small waterfall, very nice spot, days we were shooting ranged from -5 to -15, Cameras & Lenses couldn't be faulted in the Snow/Cold, even had one instance the 1Dx + 200f/2 were completely soaked by a couple of Monkeys have a brawl, no issues, kept on shooting, great gear.

Liked your very sensible advise on being careful, I've lived here in Asia (Singapore/Jakarta) for 30 years, both places are safe, Singapore especially, but I've noticed over the years (I'm 62) you can get into trouble pretty well anywhere if you put enough effort into it.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 12:51:29 AM by eml58 »
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »
Okay, I know, it's not Street Photography, it's also not Nana at night (last time I was there was 1969 when I was in the Army, hasn't changed much either from what I see of Sanj's shots).

But it is the 1Dx and it is the 85f/1.2 L II, shot at f/5.6 & 1/125th ISO800.

The subject though is male, a real one, albeit Simian, to my eye a better looking subject than Sanj's earlier post with the He/She & the fag in the mouth, but I like Sanj's use of the Combo, great stuff.

Japan's "Street", sorry Snow Monkeys Nagano.
Love the shot, but the poor monkey looks a bit cold.

I am sure you have a lot of stories from those days.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 21, 2013, 12:46:57 AM »