October 20, 2014, 07:46:58 PM

Author Topic: Waiting for a Sigma 50 "A" like their 35 to appear?  (Read 17503 times)

CarlTN

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Waiting for a Sigma 50 "A" like their 35 to appear?
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »
I'd rather see Sigma do a 19mm or 20mm or 21mm wide angle "A" lens. There's nothing available for Canon that's a prime, wide and auto-focus.

Canon's widest is 24mm and if Sigma did a 24mm, they'd just be copying Canon. They should man up and do something new.

Sigma have had a 20mm f/1.8, I guess it wasn't worthy?  Didn't look like it was.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 03:33:28 AM »

mb66energy

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 04:05:54 AM »
I'd rather see Sigma do a 19mm or 20mm or 21mm wide angle "A" lens. There's nothing available for Canon that's a prime, wide and auto-focus.

Canon's widest is 24mm and if Sigma did a 24mm, they'd just be copying Canon. They should man up and do something new.

Sigma have had a 20mm f/1.8, I guess it wasn't worthy?  Didn't look like it was.

@CarlTN
I took a look at "The Digital Picture" and compared the Sigma 1.8 20 to the Canon 16-35 2.8 ii (at 20mm), both at f/2.8 and with EOS 1Ds mk ii:
http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/ISO-12233-Sample-Crops.aspx?Lens=375&Camera=9&Sample=0&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=412&CameraComp=9&SampleComp=0&FLIComp=1&APIComp=0
Comparing ISO Charts isn't everything but in this case I think it is a good hint about the IQ of the Sigma. It just doesn't improve too much if you close it furthermore.

@dilbert: That's right, for me a 16 or 17mm f/4.0 with great IQ, small footprint and reasonable price would be very welcome (if it's from Canon or Sigma or ... doesn't matter).
TOOLS: EF-S 10-22 | 60 || EF 2.8/24 | 2.8/40* | 2.8 100 Macro* |2.0/100 | 4.0/70-200* | 5.6/400* || 2 x 40D | 600D | EOS M  [* most used lenses]

brad-man

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 09:26:16 AM »

Have to respectfully disagree. An inferior lens manufacturer would make lenses other than what Canon offers so as to offer no apples to apples comparisons. Sigma is making (so far in their art line) superior lenses in critical flavors that go head to head with the best that Canon has...

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 09:31:05 AM »
If they make the rumored 135 f/1.8, a 50mm 1.2, and a 24 1.4, with the quality of the 35mm 1.4. Bam, I'm dumping all my canon primes and switching to sigma. 8)

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 11:28:40 AM »

That could be said about the 35mm too, but it seems that it made many people happy (including me).

24, 28, 35, 50, 58, 85, 100 and 135 are very popular and "recognizable" focal lengths. Canon, Nikon, Sony, zeiss etc have their own version. Sigma is just joining the big game - at least for now. However they had a 20mm, so it might be that something wider will come.

I wouldn't buy the 50mm. The focal length on ff is too similar for me - just a bit of cropping. However, the run lured 135mm.... That's another story.... Slurp!

Pitbullo

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 04:33:44 PM »
If/when Sigma updates their 50 1.4 into the Art line, they should make it a f/1.2 just to annoy Canon. Would be awesome!

skitron

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »
If/when Sigma updates their 50 1.4 into the Art line, they should make it a f/1.2 just to annoy Canon. Would be awesome!

Well, maybe not to annoy them, but do the new one as f/1.2 and then keep the current 50 to fill the current price point.

LOL, they just need to make sure they do to the current ones whatever they they did to mine when I sent it to them *before* they all hit the store shelves instead of *after*.  Mine was a problem child as delivered, but very well behaved after a trip in for service.
5D3, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 100L, 24-105L, Sigma 50/1.4 DG, Canon TC 1.4x III

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 08:00:01 PM »

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 21, 2013, 09:42:17 PM »
before i got my sigma 35mm i would have loved something just like it at 50mm, but now that i have the 35mm i'll just crop to 50mm. i like this better anyway, as cropping a 50mm to 35mm is a pain.

pj1974

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #23 on: April 21, 2013, 10:26:02 PM »
The only lens that I'm really waiting for to complete my lens collection (aka 'lens arsenal') is a 50mm prime.  8)

My essential criteria:
1) wide open aperture of f/2 or faster
2) IQ wide open - sharpness, contrast, vignetting & CA very decent
3) IQ stopped down by 1 stop and more - awesome in every regard
4) bokeh wide open - great smooth, creamy at foreground, background and transition zones
5) bokeh stopped down - no ugly bokeh / circular aperture blades please!
6) AF - accurate, fast (full USM/HSM preferred, will consider STM if well implemented)

My non-essential (ie 'extra bonus' points) criteria:
 7. build quality - solid, metal mount, usable focus ring with FTM focus
 8. weight / size: not too heavy / big (less than 500gr is possible)
 9. IS - image stabilisation of 4 stops would be sweet (if not to the detriment of the above points)
10. filter size of filters that I have several of (ie 58mm, 67mm or 72mm preferable).
11. close MFD (so I can get nearby items in focus - for that 'effect')
12. price less than $800 if it ticks the above boxes (even if initial RRP is a bit higher, I'm interested in the online / street price after some time).

Now, if Sigma produce a great prime, and there are 95% of people / reviewers happy with it - no QC / AF issues - then I'll happily buy Sigma.  I currently already have 1 Sigma lens (UWA) which I'm very happy with.

So... the same is on: Canon, Sigma (& others?)  Who's gonna produce such a lens (first)?   ;)

Regards

Paul
« Last Edit: April 21, 2013, 10:29:47 PM by pj1974 »
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

Nishi Drew

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 21, 2013, 10:33:27 PM »
If they make the rumored 135 f/1.8, a 50mm 1.2, and a 24 1.4, with the quality of the 35mm 1.4. Bam, I'm dumping all my canon primes and switching to sigma. 8)

Yep, the only thing Canon I'll be running are the flashes, there isn't much to justify me using their cameras, just that, well, all my Siggy glass is in EOS mount ~

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 05:22:44 AM »
Have to respectfully disagree. An inferior lens manufacturer would make lenses other than what Canon offers so as to offer no apples to apples comparisons. Sigma is making (so far in their art line) superior lenses in critical flavors that go head to head with the best that Canon has...

There's only one superior lens in their art range at the moment, the 35mm f1.4. But like many Sigma lenses before, how well does it focus? The rest of Sigma's range are sub par with Canon counter parts. With Sigma, you get what you pay for.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 05:30:24 AM »

There's only one superior lens in their art range at the moment, the 35mm f1.4. But like many Sigma lenses before, how well does it focus? The rest of Sigma's range are sub par with Canon counter parts. With Sigma, you get what you pay for.

You are terribly misinformed. The new 35mm focuses like a dream. And the USB dock has been designed to counter possible tricks by Canon in the future.

And the statement in red is plainly false.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

You are terribly misinformed. The new 35mm focuses like a dream. And the USB dock has been designed to counter possible tricks by Canon in the future.

Ok, lets qualify this a bit more. I've owned a Sigma 180 macro and used several, the AF ring was so gritty it was difficult to fine tune the focus. When compared with a Canon 180 L, there was  amassive focal length difference between these two lenses. The Canon has a much longer focal length at close distances and I'm pretty sure the Sigma lost focal length as I focssed closer....not what I wanted in a Macro lens. I had a 100-300 f4 EX DG...it was pretty unspectacular in sharpness, but more seriously it's AF was pretty inaccurate, often mis focussing. It had the most stupidly huge hood...because it flared so badly in bright light. I had a 70-200 ED DG mkI, it had dreadful back focussing issues at Min Focus distance. It had AF inconsistencies, sometime accurate and sometime way off. I have a 12-24mm EX DG. A nice lens, but it's been back to Sigma twice. Once for Aperture motor burnout and a whole lens group coming loose. I had a Sigma 120-300 OS DG and to be frank it was terrible. It was sharp enough, but it was so huge. It's AF was erratic and imprecise. It was way short of the 300mm stated, closer to 280mm at infinity but down to a dissapointing 240mm at Min focus distance. When compared to my Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, the small increase in Focal length wasn't worth the poor AF and massive extra bulk. None of these AF issues were related to Microfocus, the Sigma HSM motor system just isn't in the same league as the Canon USM system. I had a Sigma 24-70 (non HSM), it was a noisy AF system, but very good. The big issue was the rubbish hood and awful flare on sunny days. When I replaced it with the Canon 24-70L (mk I) it blew it away in every regard. Generally I find that Sigma lenses have a warm cast, but this varies between lens designs.
I hear from several friends who have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, they too get focus inconsitencies.
I don't get these issues with Canon L lenses. After the 120-300 OS DG dissapointment, I bought a 400mm f2.8 L IS which really put the Siggi in it's place. It's not just the sharpness, it's the AF's amazing accuracy.
So I'm sure you see that I have a long history with Sigma lenses in a professional basis. Most of my lenses went back to sigma and couldn't be fixed.

I'm all ears for Sigma releasing newer better lenses, but I've heared this story SO many times. I trust in Canon because they make reassuringly good kit and their prices reflect this. As I said before, and i'll restate again....the only superior lens (to Canon) in their catalogue at the moment is the 35mm f1.4. Every other lens is in some way deficient compared to it's Canon counter part.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 09:34:42 AM »

sleepnever

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 10:09:17 AM »
I'd be all over a 50 A series to upgrade my canon 50 1.8 II. I can't justify the jump to the 1.4 because it really isn't that much better optically for the money and I don't have $1600 for the L version. I'd love a 50 A that is the same quality in every way as their 35 A. I want that 35 A too =)
Canon 5D3 | 50mm f1.4  | 24-70 f2.8L | 100 f2.8L IS Macro | 430EX II
Flickr

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »

Ok, lets qualify this a bit more. I've owned a Sigma 180 macro and used several, the AF ring was so gritty it was difficult to fine tune the focus. When compared with a Canon 180 L, there was  amassive focal length difference between these two lenses. The Canon has a much longer focal length at close distances and I'm pretty sure the Sigma lost focal length as I focssed closer....not what I wanted in a Macro lens. I had a 100-300 f4 EX DG...it was pretty unspectacular in sharpness, but more seriously it's AF was pretty inaccurate, often mis focussing. It had the most stupidly huge hood...because it flared so badly in bright light. I had a 70-200 ED DG mkI, it had dreadful back focussing issues at Min Focus distance. It had AF inconsistencies, sometime accurate and sometime way off. I have a 12-24mm EX DG. A nice lens, but it's been back to Sigma twice. Once for Aperture motor burnout and a whole lens group coming loose. I had a Sigma 120-300 OS DG and to be frank it was terrible. It was sharp enough, but it was so huge. It's AF was erratic and imprecise. It was way short of the 300mm stated, closer to 280mm at infinity but down to a dissapointing 240mm at Min focus distance. When compared to my Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS II, the small increase in Focal length wasn't worth the poor AF and massive extra bulk. None of these AF issues were related to Microfocus, the Sigma HSM motor system just isn't in the same league as the Canon USM system. I had a Sigma 24-70 (non HSM), it was a noisy AF system, but very good. The big issue was the rubbish hood and awful flare on sunny days. When I replaced it with the Canon 24-70L (mk I) it blew it away in every regard. Generally I find that Sigma lenses have a warm cast, but this varies between lens designs.
I hear from several friends who have the Sigma 50mm f1.4 and 85mm f1.4, they too get focus inconsitencies.
I don't get these issues with Canon L lenses. After the 120-300 OS DG dissapointment, I bought a 400mm f2.8 L IS which really put the Siggi in it's place. It's not just the sharpness, it's the AF's amazing accuracy.
So I'm sure you see that I have a long history with Sigma lenses in a professional basis. Most of my lenses went back to sigma and couldn't be fixed.

I'm all ears for Sigma releasing newer better lenses, but I've heared this story SO many times. I trust in Canon because they make reassuringly good kit and their prices reflect this. As I said before, and i'll restate again....the only superior lens (to Canon) in their catalogue at the moment is the 35mm f1.4. Every other lens is in some way deficient compared to it's Canon counter part.

I'm sorry about your personal misadventures, but your opinions are very much in disagreement with the majority of what I've read/experienced myself - especially for some of the lenses you mentioned.

If you're happier with Canon lenses good for you, but I still think your generalizations are far from reality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:10:18 AM »