November 20, 2014, 06:42:43 PM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]  (Read 15178 times)

amarlez

Re: 1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »
I think CanineCandidsByL is onto something. Perhaps the new and improved viewfinder in the 7D was the first step.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2011, 11:29:40 PM »

UncleFester

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2011, 12:17:47 AM »
AHA! I Knew there'd be a new battery!

It something wrong with the one they use now?

No. Not at all. As a matter of fact I'm always amazed how long just one battery lasts in my 5DII and 7D, both pushing the 400 2.8 with IS always on. They're freaking mind-boggling dependable (even in  sub 40 F).

BUT. I've a sneaking suspicion the are working on 1) A super-plastic to replace magnesium alloy.
                                                                              2) a smaller, lighter battery.

You heard it here first from Uncle F 

macfly

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2011, 01:09:05 AM »
At last, now what about some new glass!!

Blaze

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 01:24:46 AM »
For some reason I just glommed on to the fps. Assuming they didn't make a major change to the internal bus, 3fps sound about right for 32mp. What seem really cool to me is that the 7 and 9fps number work out just about right for cropping to APS-H and APS-C equivilents. Obviously they could also be talking about the difference between a large, medium, and small raw output that doesn't crop, but stays full frame on a effectively smaller res sensor. In theory we could be looking at 9 options...large/med/small for each of full/aps-h/aps-c.  That would make it a first rate replacment for both the 1d and 1ds. The only problem is they would need some internal optics to magnify the image in the viewfinder so you would see the effective crop through the lens. Nothing about the design suggests this.

Sorry, I know I'm a bit new here to be speculating so wildly, but the info is just so suggestive.

I would hope that with new dual Digic V processors, a new 1D series DSLR could process shoot faster than 3 fps at full resolution. Heck, the current 7D does 18MP at 8 fps (144 MP/sec). 32 MP at 3 fps would only be 96 MP/sec. Processors have advanced in the years between models. I would expect significant performance improvements. 32 MP at 9 fps doesn't sound absurd to me.

RuneL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 03:25:21 AM »
The sensor is bigger on both the 1D and the 1Ds, maybe this comes in to play too, but not really sure about the more technical aspects on how the picture actually gets from the sensor to the buffer.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 05:45:00 AM »
For some reason I just glommed on to the fps. Assuming they didn't make a major change to the internal bus, 3fps sound about right for 32mp. What seem really cool to me is that the 7 and 9fps number work out just about right for cropping to APS-H and APS-C equivilents. Obviously they could also be talking about the difference between a large, medium, and small raw output that doesn't crop, but stays full frame on a effectively smaller res sensor. In theory we could be looking at 9 options...large/med/small for each of full/aps-h/aps-c.  That would make it a first rate replacment for both the 1d and 1ds. The only problem is they would need some internal optics to magnify the image in the viewfinder so you would see the effective crop through the lens. Nothing about the design suggests this.

Sorry, I know I'm a bit new here to be speculating so wildly, but the info is just so suggestive.

I would hope that with new dual Digic V processors, a new 1D series DSLR could process shoot faster than 3 fps at full resolution. Heck, the current 7D does 18MP at 8 fps (144 MP/sec). 32 MP at 3 fps would only be 96 MP/sec. Processors have advanced in the years between models. I would expect significant performance improvements. 32 MP at 9 fps doesn't sound absurd to me.

We've been told by Canon that the dual digic 5 is good for about 240mb/s, so I'm guessing that the full frame 32mp will work out to 7fps. I'm also guessing that 9 fps will only be possible with a resolution drop or 1.3x crop mode to 24mp. Even so, stunning specs and probably Canon's most versatile camera to date...lets hope the price isn't too prohibitive! I'm also speculating that this gives Canon a lot of room for the 5DIII's resolution, eg 24 or 32mp.

gargy

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:28:16 AM »
What does this SAT dial do?
USM dial is for microadjust?

Better check the full picture   :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 06:28:16 AM »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 06:48:49 AM »
Besides, does Canon make most of its money on bodies or lenses... on that point I have no idea.  Maybe they lose money on DSLRs and make all the green selling printer ink!
Canon needs to make money on everything:  As they sell millions and millions every year, losing money on each unit is not an option.  Ditto on lenses.  This is not a razors and blades situation.  It's not a Microsoft Xbox situation either.

amarlez

« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 08:44:51 AM »
We've been told by Canon that the dual digic 5 is good for about 240mb/s, so I'm guessing that the full frame 32mp will work out to 7fps. I'm also guessing that 9 fps will only be possible with a resolution drop or 1.3x crop mode to 24mp. Even so, stunning specs and probably Canon's most versatile camera to date...lets hope the price isn't too prohibitive! I'm also speculating that this gives Canon a lot of room for the 5DIII's resolution, eg 24 or 32mp.

When did they say that?

And that picture is OBVIOUSLY a fake — the screen isn't big enough.

motorhead

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:22 AM »
Stunning specs? Not from where I'm sitting.

Any replacement for the 1Ds has to offer a lot more than 32mp AND give me the improved DR Canon have already promised us. The specs are for a 1Ds they could (and nearly did) offer us a while ago. Expectations move on, 32mp no longer cuts it for me.

I'm completely unmoved by fps figures, or high ISO or video. Maybe that makes me odd, I don't know, but as Canons market leading pro camera I'd expect better. Merging the ID and 1Ds lines will only make sense if they don't dumb down to the 1D level, but instead offer the very best. 

SuperNiceNina

« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2011, 10:50:15 AM »
News/rumours coming out of the trade and the smoking booths say:

New 32 > 35 Mp body within one month priced at about £3500 GBP. This must be 1Ds MKIV.

I see a 3D (think about the model name!) being a 5D with enhanced video features. Plus a new 5D with improved focus and frame rate and current video features (full frame 20+ Mp sensor with 7D feature set ).

Allegedly Canon have a 60Mp sensor in their bottom draw but the glass needs to be improved before the resolution can be realised.

JasonM

« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
Besides, does Canon make most of its money on bodies or lenses... on that point I have no idea.  Maybe they lose money on DSLRs and make all the green selling printer ink!
Canon needs to make money on everything:  As they sell millions and millions every year, losing money on each unit is not an option.  Ditto on lenses.  This is not a razors and blades situation.  It's not a Microsoft Xbox situation either.

Fair enough but my comment that perhaps they lose money on DSLRs was not meant seriously.  Point is that we don't know what their margins are or what the optimal price and volume projections might be for a merged 1D series body if they choose to do that.  Canon has the best information and will price accordingly and, based on nothing more than typical business practices, I imagine a merged body could be profitably priced lower than the current 1Ds3 and possibly as low as the 1D4.  And by the way it's not inconceivable that a company could lose money on a low-volume flagship product to drive professional adoption and create brand cache to drive billions in sales of consumer-level devices.  Equally conceivable is losing money on the entry-level model to get consumers into the brand and then make money when they move up to higher models.  We can only speculate and we'll mostly be wrong but it sure is fun.

Haydn1971

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »
Most of what is in the OP is more evolution than revolution, my expectation of the new high end sensor was in the high 30's, low 40's in terms of mpx, but if there is any truth I'm the 32mpx suggestion, I'd strongly expect that the 4 years evolution has gone into more than just a 50% boost in mpx and actually sees better high ISO performance, but I'm not convinced by the framerate of 9fps, nor that the 1D range will be split, unless something more high end is in the making - Canon Medium Format perhaps ?  How about a top of the range MF for around $10k (body) with a 5D for today i.e. Entry level MF in a $4k body ? Then have a merged FF 1D range, as per the OP, plus a 5DIII with the same 32mpx sensor ?
Regards, Haydn

:: View my photostream on Flickr, Canon EOS 6D, EOS M ,  16-35mm II, 24-70mm II, 70-300mm L, 135mm f2.0 L, 22mm f2.0, Lensbaby, EOS M adaptor, Cosina CT1G film SLR & 50mm f2.0 lens

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2011, 12:13:27 PM »

victorengel

« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2011, 12:32:40 PM »
If that's a 3.2 inch screen pictured, how big does that make the camera? Maybe that's the surprise. The new camera is actually medium format!

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »
AHA! I Knew there'd be a new battery!

It something wrong with the one they use now?

No. Not at all. As a matter of fact I'm always amazed how long just one battery lasts in my 5DII and 7D, both pushing the 400 2.8 with IS always on. They're freaking mind-boggling dependable (even in  sub 40 F).

BUT. I've a sneaking suspicion the are working on 1) A super-plastic to replace magnesium alloy.
                                                                              2) a smaller, lighter battery.

You heard it here first from Uncle F

The battery on the 1D MK III and MK IV blows away my 7D and 5D MK II batteries a very large number of shots new,  but I've had to buy two new ones after 2-1/2 years as they have gone down hill faster than expected.

The 1 Series camera batteries are in a class by themselves as compared to other Canon Li-on batteries for both capacity and battery life.

I doubt batteries will get smaller, video / liveview just eats up battery life, and its being used more and more.  In addition, a much more powerful processor to be able to process 30 plus MP at 9 FPS is going to gobble power as well.  So it sounds like more capacity would be needed for the rumored camera.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2011, 01:44:41 PM »