April 18, 2014, 10:17:59 AM

Author Topic: 1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]  (Read 13289 times)

Canon Rumors

• Administrator
  • 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Canon Rumors
1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
Numbers! Spec lists have been few and far between for any upcoming DSLR, this is the first one I’ve seen in a while. The commenter didn’t know if this was going to be branded 1D or 1Ds.

Specifications:

• 32mp CMOS (Full Frame)
  • Evolved 45 point AF system (current 1D4)
  • Dual DIGIC 5
  • CF & SD Slots
  • New Battery
  • 3,7,9 fps
  • ISO Range 50-102,400
  • Ergonomic Changes
  • 100% VF
  • 3.2″ LCD (Highest Resolution Ever)
  • Improved AF in LiveView
  • Unknown Movie Mode and specifications
  • Unknown if there will be a wireless flash commander
  • In camera software feature upgrades

I expect a lot of these in the next month or so.

Announcement Date? I’ve heard 2 different dates so far. I do expect multiple announcements dates for PowerShot and EOS.

August 18, 2011. I don’t recall the last Canon announcement to happen on a Thursday. Most, if not all are on a Monday/Tuesday depending on where you are on the planet.

August 30, 2011. This would come after Nikon’s announcements.

I don’t see September 6, 2011 as a possibility due to the long September weekend.

cr

canonrumors.com

canon rumors FORUM

1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]
« on: August 03, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »

Ivar

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Re: 1Ds Mark IV/1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2011, 03:46:11 PM »
What concerns 32MP then no way it is the 1Ds (it had been, if released a year ago). 9fps for the same amount of MPs sounds however quite impressive, though I highly doubt Canon would let any spec lower than the predecessor. So-so specs to me, cr1 sounds correct.

waving_odd

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2011, 03:51:30 PM »
DR improvement would be my biggest concern in addition to MP & ISO.

If ISO 102400 is highly usable, then it'd be a no-brainer for a lot of wedding photogs.

Bob Howland

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2011, 04:06:52 PM »
My take: too many pixels for a 1D and too few for a 1Ds. (One previous rumor was that the 5D3 was taking the place of the 1Ds. That seems to be how a lot of people are using the 5D2.) I expect the 1D5 to have roughly the same pixel size as the 1D4 but be FF. That would give it about 27MP.

JasonM

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 04:49:38 PM »
"too many pixels for a 1D and too few for a 1Ds"

Why "too many" for 1D?  The 1D4 has a 16MP crop sensor because even Dual DIGIC4 couldn't process 10fps at 21MP.  If dual or single DIGIC5 can process the new FF sensor resolution at 8-10fps then there is no reason to have two 1D bodies.  Producing and marketing two bodies is more expensive than one so there has to be a compelling reason for Canon to continue with a 1D and a 1Ds.

Why "too few for a 1DS"?  That would be a 50% increase over the current 21MP.

I agree though about the 5D3 taking over for the 1Ds... perhaps 1D5 and 5D3 will have the same sensor and the main difference will be Dual DIGIC5 in the 1D5 (9fps and best in class build quality/ruggedness) and single DIGIC5 in the 5D3 (4fps).   7D2 will also be single DIGIC5 but crop sensor of about 20MP will allow 8fps?

akiskev

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • My flickr gallery
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 05:06:33 PM »

What does this SAT dial do?
USM dial is for microadjust?
Flickr | Canon EOS 3 | Canon EOS Digital Rebel XTi
EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS | EF 100-400 f/4.5-5.6L
Zeiss 35mm f/2.4 | Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 85mm f/1.4 | Zeiss 200mm f/2.8 | Zeiss 80-200 f/4

WarStreet

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »
The 1D4 has a 16MP crop sensor because even Dual DIGIC4 couldn't process 10fps at 21MP.  If dual or single DIGIC5 can process the new FF sensor resolution at 8-10fps then there is no reason to have two 1D bodies.  Producing and marketing two bodies is more expensive than one so there has to be a compelling reason for Canon to continue with a 1D and a 1Ds.

To create a single camera with 1Ds and 1D characteristics without creating the usual 1D camera too, would mean Canon will have to price this camera similar to the 1D price range.  Otherwise they will miss the price range covered  by the D3s/D4. I think Canon will have a high res high fps 1DsIV together with a 1DV FF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:09:47 PM »

steven63

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 05:22:07 PM »
If I had to guess, with the amount of time Canon has had to work on these DSLRs, AND with what the competition is doing, I'd say these specs are for a 1dmv.  32mpx/FF/9fps is a respectable leap for the 1d series, imho.  I mean, who needs more fps especially if you can trade 1 of them for the extra 16mpx and full frame!  I'd do it in a hot minute.

But then again, this could be the specs for the 'merged' 1ds/1d model we are hearing about.  I mean really, if you offer up 32mpx with FF and 9fps with high iso and the 45 point AF...what other options can you offer in another flagship model short of going into the Medium Format zone?

Then the 5dmiii could fill in nicely at around 28mpx/19crosstypeAFs/6fps and improved video??  Just a stab in the dark. 

UncleFester

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 05:24:44 PM »
AHA! I Knew there'd be a new battery!

JasonM

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 06:25:51 PM »
To create a single camera with 1Ds and 1D characteristics without creating the usual 1D camera too, would mean Canon will have to price this camera similar to the 1D price range.  Otherwise they will miss the price range covered  by the D3s/D4. I think Canon will have a high res high fps 1DsIV together with a 1DV FF.

Ok I'll grant you that pricing strategy could be a sufficient reason to keep two 1D bodies but you may have hit the nail on the head... they could price the merged 1D body at the lower price point, maybe even make higher margins if the cost savings of manufacturing/marketing a single body is large enough, maybe sell more units at the lower price point resulting in even lower per unit costs, and maybe even gain market share by converting Nikon shooters (ok that last one is a stretch).  In all seriousness though, pricing strategy is often about what the market will bear, brand image, etc. and not just about what it costs to make the product.  And it does take into account projected sales volumes.   Besides, does Canon make most of its money on bodies or lenses... on that point I have no idea.  Maybe they lose money on DSLRs and make all the green selling printer ink!

J-Man

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 07:43:15 PM »
    32mp CMOS (Full Frame)
    Evolved 45 point AF system (current 1D4)
    Dual DIGIC 5
    CF & SD Slots
    New Battery
    3,7,9 fps
    ISO Range 50-102,400
    Ergonomic Changes
    100% VF
    3.2″ LCD (Highest Resolution Ever)
    Improved AF in LiveView
    Unknown Movie Mode and specifications
    Unknown if there will be a wireless flash commander
    In camera software feature upgrades
32mp- ok
45 point AF- updated from the 1DIV, I'd hope so, rumors are the D4 will be getting a new AF system.
Dual Digic 5- @32mp I'm surprised it's not 3. :P
CF & SD- nothing new.
New Battery- I hope it's just higher capacity and compatible with the current battery.
3,7,9 fps- why a down grade from, H= 2-10fps, L= 1-9fps? maybe they meant bracketing, 3,5,7,9?
bla bla bla
3.2" LCD- there is room for a larger display, use it!
Improved AF in LiveView- I'd hope so by now.
bla bla bla
In camera software feature upgrades- I hope this is about software plugins, load an intervalometer plugin on the CF or SD card and gain that function!

Still only a CR1, so who knows.

Mt Spokane Photography

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2011, 08:56:48 PM »
AHA! I Knew there'd be a new battery!

It something wrong with the one they use now?  I suppose if there were a faster processor and heavy duty video, them more power would be needed. 

The quality level of the existing battery has been excellent, so they use the good cells.  Li-On cells do come in different qualities and prices.  The really good ones command a higher price, but are worth it.

KitH

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

What does this SAT dial do?
USM dial is for microadjust?

Wild guess...  Saturation?  Some sort of control for varying exposure for video in changeable light (like the sun goes behind a cloud and you want to smoothly adjust ISO instead of changing shutter speed (introduces movement inconsistency) or aperture (shifts DoF).   Or could it be something totally different, maybe an HDR control?

It's got to be good to earn itself a place under the right thumb. 

Maybe it just a Spare Adjustable Thing. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2011, 09:09:07 PM »

NXT1000

« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2011, 11:01:26 PM »
the mickey mouse sensor size 1.4x is finally dead. hurray. Thanks to Nikon. It will force the professional to buy more expensive super tele lenses, which will ring their cash register non stop.

CanineCandidsByL

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »
For some reason I just glommed on to the fps. Assuming they didn't make a major change to the internal bus, 3fps sound about right for 32mp. What seem really cool to me is that the 7 and 9fps number work out just about right for cropping to APS-H and APS-C equivilents. Obviously they could also be talking about the difference between a large, medium, and small raw output that doesn't crop, but stays full frame on a effectively smaller res sensor. In theory we could be looking at 9 options...large/med/small for each of full/aps-h/aps-c.  That would make it a first rate replacment for both the 1d and 1ds. The only problem is they would need some internal optics to magnify the image in the viewfinder so you would see the effective crop through the lens. Nothing about the design suggests this.

Sorry, I know I'm a bit new here to be speculating so wildly, but the info is just so suggestive.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2011, 11:11:25 PM »