October 21, 2014, 12:54:23 PM

Author Topic: Pretty bad...  (Read 9672 times)

Meh

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Pretty bad...
« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »
Like others, I am scratching my head as to how they ever even saw these pictures. It only reinforces my resolve to never let my subjects see the original shots. I mostly shoot for family and friends, but even in those cases, I'm not letting them see everything I shoot.

To me, that's like going to buy a car, getting a truckload of parts delivered and being told to assemble it myself. It's only half the product. I know some photographers give their clients everything and I know that when they are waiving money in front of you, it's hard not to comply. But, I don't want my bad shots being posted for the whole world to see.

I think you've hit the nail on the head... money talks and it's not always easy, especially for a struggling photog, to turn down money over the risk that a not-so-good shot gets shown around as an example of your bad work.  Even if it's not the money, it might seem easier to give into the pressure of a client demanding ALL the photos on the basis that "the photos are of them and therefore it's their right to have them and decide for themselves if the photos are good or not".

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 22, 2013, 10:34:24 AM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #31 on: April 22, 2013, 11:30:19 AM »
hahaha having a hard time getting past the name and general appearance of the couple.. I know it's not a nice thing to say and I am sure they are swell people, but without any further information of "proof" I can only relate to this story as comic relief :)
On the topic of handing over originals, I think it's something most of us learn the hard way.. Recently shot a wedding for my brother in-law and complied with his request to give him all the pictures seeing as I didn't really have time to PP as many as he'd like.. Boy did I regret that... :)
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 11:32:02 AM by eyeland »
5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

awinphoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #32 on: April 22, 2013, 11:31:04 AM »
ummm... ok... did ANY good pictures come out of them, or were these representative of the whole batch....  If he gave them even 400 images and these 5 were the worst, and 395 are good and even OK IMAGES, then this lawsuit is meritless..  But, then again, edit out these images... the should NEVER be shown to the clients... Every photographer will get an occasional blurred shot or wrongly cropped shot, but likely the next frame will be in focus and properly cropped...  No need to ever show these images... If the photog was a complete airhead and all or even half the images are bad, then sue their butt...  I agree there are too many shoot and burners that need to be weeded out in the industry and bringing the industry down reputation wise, but then again, if these are the only bad images, then deal with it. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 22, 2013, 11:49:25 AM »
ummm... ok... did ANY good pictures come out of them, or were these representative of the whole batch....  If he gave them even 400 images and these 5 were the worst, and 395 are good and even OK IMAGES, then this lawsuit is meritless..  But, then again, edit out these images... the should NEVER be shown to the clients... Every photographer will get an occasional blurred shot or wrongly cropped shot, but likely the next frame will be in focus and properly cropped...  No need to ever show these images... If the photog was a complete airhead and all or even half the images are bad, then sue their butt...  I agree there are too many shoot and burners that need to be weeded out in the industry and bringing the industry down reputation wise, but then again, if these are the only bad images, then deal with it.

+1

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:43 PM »
Like others, I am scratching my head as to how they ever even saw these pictures. It only reinforces my resolve to never let my subjects see the original shots. I mostly shoot for family and friends, but even in those cases, I'm not letting them see everything I shoot.

I shot "the group" at a family gathering.... I explained that I would take multiple pictures because you get people blinking, strange momentary facial expressions, etc. I set the camera up to take 10 images and we all posed as the camera clicked away for 20 seconds. When I examined the pictures later, there was not a single image without someone blinking or jaw open, one eye shut, etc etc. Photoshop is your friend! The family never got to see the originals, just the composite photoshopped image.
The best camera is the one in your hands

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 22, 2013, 12:21:21 PM »
absolutely they shouldn't have been given some of these photos. still, without seeing the entirety of the work i can't really say. I take shots like the one of the feet sometimes. I do it for use later in post with WB etc, not for customer use. also this "shoes in" shot is currently popular. Don't ask me, but it is, and sometimes the church coordinator will even set it up. you wouldn't believe the stupid junk the guy was doing with "my" bride/groom at the last shoot i did. of course this shot didn't even show her shoes, but maybe the next frames did.

Typically at a wedding i shoot somewhere in the area of 1200-1500 shots. They are then knocked down to 800 or a 1000 or so. but for a close friend last summer i didn't cut as much as usual. i usually pick one or two besties from any given shot, but for him i left them in. i probably shouldn't of, but i did cut out any random weird stuff i got.

risc32

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »
look, you don't want to know how sausages are made.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 22, 2013, 12:22:26 PM »

rongage

• Power Shot G7X
  • Canon XSi, various Canon/Tamron/Sigma lenses
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 22, 2013, 01:10:30 PM »
I really have no comment on this particular case since we don't know all the details and haven't see all the photos that were delivered, etc.

But here's a question for the wedding togs... have you ever shot a wedding and the bride, groom, wedding party, guests were not co-operative and/or wouldn't make time for the shots you normally set up?  What was the outcome?

I just shot a wedding this past Saturday.  It was a low budget ceremony-only wedding.  The bride really, really, really did not want to get her picture taken with the groom after the ceremony.  Ended up being the last shots taken.  I can't say that the shots were my best work (no flash, strong natural light coming in the church windows, etc, etc) but I got some good usable shots out of the thing.

http://www.prgstudios.com/weddings/jason-and-natalie/

lholmes549

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 22, 2013, 01:12:51 PM »
I have never shot a wedding and never plan to, but I am 100% sure I could take better photos than those shown in the article. Having taken photos at a few formals/dinners in similar conditions it can be challenging but I could have taken better photos on my phone.
Too many people call themselves pro photographers nowadays and they are nowhere near the standard, in terms of final images or the gear required. Taking on someone's wedding is a big step and you have to be sure you're up to it.
Having said that, this story stinks of a couple who have tried to skimp on the cheapest "photographer" without seeing any proof of past work.
6D, FTb, EOS 500  | 14mm f/2.8,  24-105 f/4L, 70-200 f/4L, 50mm f/1.8, 135mm f/2.8

Maui5150

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 22, 2013, 01:14:14 PM »

... The bride really, really, really did not want to get her picture taken with the groom after the ceremony. 

Might  be completely out of context, but if I was a divorce lawyer, I would be circling this couple. 

tpatana

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 22, 2013, 01:26:46 PM »

... The bride really, really, really did not want to get her picture taken with the groom after the ceremony. 

Might  be completely out of context, but if I was a divorce lawyer, I would be circling this couple.

Lol, I was wondering same...

wombat779

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 22, 2013, 02:04:45 PM »
As bad as these pics are, the ones that the "photographer" took at my sister-in-law's wedding were actually worse.  Pretty much every shot more or less out of focus, badly incorrect settings (grossly slow shutter speeds, incorrect aperture for situation), blown highlights (e.g., wedding dress one big white blob), harsh on-camera flash with almost black backgrounds and blown subjects, no "composition" to speak of (basically all looked like P&S amateur vacation shots, except not as good), you name it.  EXIF data shows the camera was on full-auto the whole time.

When my sister-in-law sent them to me to try to "fix" them I was horrified.  I tried my best to post-process some of them to make them marginally usable, but you can't fix OOF or blown highlights.  Thankfully I was at the wedding too and took many of the same shots (particularly the group shots) that were otherwise unsalvageable, so she was able to use mine instead in the album.

Ultimately, neither me or my sister-in-law made a big deal out of the awfulness of the pictures, since what is done is done.  However, I could tell she was pretty disappointed.  There are some pretty poor "pro" photographers out there...

awinphoto

• View Profile
    • AW Photography
« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »
I have never shot a wedding and never plan to, but I am 100% sure I could take better photos than those shown in the article. Having taken photos at a few formals/dinners in similar conditions it can be challenging but I could have taken better photos on my phone.
Too many people call themselves pro photographers nowadays and they are nowhere near the standard, in terms of final images or the gear required. Taking on someone's wedding is a big step and you have to be sure you're up to it.
Having said that, this story stinks of a couple who have tried to skimp on the cheapest "photographer" without seeing any proof of past work.

well as i mentioned before, are these representative of the whole, or are these JUST the worst?  Every photographer in every wedding will get bad shots, it's a thing of certainty... BUT WE DONT SHOW THEM TO THE CLIENT.  We show them the lovely exposed and framed and focused images... shoot, my typical wedding with me and my assistant... we have about 1800 images... Once i cull that down to 300-400, then i'm showing my strongest work.  so... if these just weren't edited out and most of the other shots before and after these frames look good and these are the few bad ones... oh well, it happens... if the entire thing sucks, then complain. 
Canon 5d III, Canon 24-105L, Canon 17-40L, Canon 70-200 F4L, Canon 100L 2.8, Canon 85 1.8, 430EX 2's and a lot of bumps along the road to get to where I am.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 22, 2013, 02:30:20 PM »

eyeland

• Rebel T5i
  • Daybreak broke me loose and brought me back...
    • View Profile
    • Creative Consulting & Multimedia artistry ;)
« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »

+1

5DIII+ML // 24-105L - 70-200 2.8L/2.8 IS II - 35/2 IS //\  AF/non-AF film bodies and lenses. (and half a darkroom in boxes:))

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #43 on: April 23, 2013, 05:25:38 AM »