November 23, 2014, 07:28:14 PM

Author Topic: Lenses for carpets photography  (Read 6083 times)

Halfrack

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: Lenses for carpets photography
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »
Forget replacing any of your current gear for now, you need to setup a rig that can mimic what a scanner does for paper.  What this entails is building an elevated gangway that can be rolled over the carpet when it's placed on the floor.  The underside of the gangway would need a few identical daylight balanced bulbs to illuminate the area, with a camera port in the center.  Use black fabric or foam board to seal off the front and back so that you're constantly shooting with light just from the bulbs on the underside of the gangway.  Setup the camera to shoot tethered to a computer so you can review as you go.  Get a ColorChecker to make sure you're absolute on the tones being conveyed by the photograph (designers will love you).  Roll the gangway over the carpet, shooting as you go.  If you have taped out the center line of the rig, and have the space, you can be shooting one carpet, as assistants roll up the previous one, and lay out the next one.  To get a 'full carpet' photo, most software can do a panorama stitch of multiple photos, just make sure you have alignment marks that can be used colored blocks that would be cropped out of the final photo.

Most of your shots will be at ISO100 and F8, with your shutter speed calculated off of how bright you setup the underside.  The kit lenses are fine for this - check out most mall photo booths, they use the most basic kit with a proper flash.  For your setup, I'd recommend the daylight bulbs just so it's a constant light source that shouldn't change over time.  2000 carpets every 3 months, you want a process that's straight forward and always the same.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2013, 08:29:29 PM by Halfrack »
"Me owning a lens shop is kind of like having an alcoholic bar tender." - Roger Cicala

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2013, 08:17:27 PM »

yoldashh

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2013, 03:11:19 PM »
Thanks Ever so much guys.
thank you .
i have decided to stick with my canon 600 d.and improve lens quallity to  EF-S 17-55.
i have invested on flash lights . i bought elinchrom rx 600 x twin kit .will give it a a try and let you guys know.thanks

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2013, 05:03:51 AM »
Halfrack,
Fantastic idea. There were some other excellent suggestions here, too. But the OP went ahead and did something else. I think he will learn a lot about the challenges of large objects with just two lights, and work it out by himself.

A rolling scanner-- brilliant.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2013, 06:39:53 AM »
a decent macro for the close ups...  anything for the wide shots

Equilux

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Colour management vs. onlineshop
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2013, 08:54:13 AM »
to all of you guys talking about the need of a perfect colour management / calibration.

for an onlineshop it will be totally sufficiant to do a colour temperature calibration with a grey-chart at the beginning of each shooting and keep the colour temp during the process.

the reason: when you present your images online to non-photographic customers, 99% of them will not see the correct colors, due to noncalibrated monitors. You all know that most people set up their monitors to a too bright and too cold setting. AND most people are not able to see any difference unless they see two setups next to each other.

So this is not the major point for the OP.

just my two cents

yoldashh

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Colour management vs. onlineshop
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2013, 08:07:45 AM »
Hi all please have a look ath this thanks

yoldashh

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »
Dear All ,please have a look at my photos taken with can eos 600 d .lens 18mm-135 mm
shutter speed 1/125 iso 100 and appreature between 8 and 11 .though i prefer 8.
please let me know what you think as these photos i have to work on raw .its not finished yet but i am really happy with detail and results.
i used 1 flash unit elinchrom Rx 600 with smal soft box .though in future i am thinking of using 3 more Rx 600 so in total i will have 4 units.
i was wondering what good lens i can have for my Eos 600 d camera.as 18mm-135mm is too close focal length .i want bit wide angle lens ,may be 17mm or 16 mm ,but please suggest me a lens wich will not give me distortion or affect the quality but instead its better than 18-135mm.in worst scenario i can still live with 18-135 mm.
i love the detail in my pictures now .you guys saved me spending 2800 just on canon 5d mark 3.
you guys are awesome .thank you all

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2013, 08:13:41 AM »

Atonegro

• Canon AE-1
  • It's not the gear, it's the eye.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2013, 06:15:04 AM »
The Canon 10-22mm lens is a nice wide-angle lens and gives you a lot of extra reach.
Or the Tokina 12-24, but I like the canon better.
DCS 3c, D2000, 1DS, 1DS2, 1DS3, D800e, D810 and now waiting for the 1DS-X.....or a Nikon D4X...

English is not my native language, I learned  it only a few years ago. If you don't like my spelling, I will be happy to write it in Dutch for you.

jonathan7007

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »
"Distrosion" related to closeness to the 3D object like that image posted. For flat rugs laid out our hung (hanging down on platform which is lifted to be in the camera-lens axis which offers better workflow and product photo management) the wide angle less difficult to handle because distortion will be more subtle. But there will be some change in the pattern on the periphery of the [flat]rug if shoot close in with the 10-22. Nice lens, though. LR will correct the "barrel" or "pincushion" distortion. You might also look at DxO RAW processing product for other more sophisticated wide angle corrections.

I would guess that pattern distortion was a show-stopper (bad kind) in the rug business.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 04:56:31 PM »