September 22, 2014, 08:46:54 AM

Author Topic: Firmware 1.2.1 for the 5D Mark III in the Wild  (Read 17829 times)

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware 1.2.1 for the 5D Mark III in the Wild
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »
I waited almost 9 months ... so I can wait another 9 days ... No need for me to send it to Canon service center
Indeed!

Indeed.... unless you have something to shoot that will be over in another 9 days. And then no longer indeed. I will try to see if the local Canon service has it. I'm afraid 9 more days will be 4-5 too late for something.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 02:57:39 PM »

hjaeger

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
"Various reports" suggest that there are more than one - has anyone heard of other reports of firmware v1.2.1 in the wild? Or is this all based on a post by a single user who then is unable test if any of the new additions really are there (none of the other posters who has received their 5Dmk3 back from a Canon service center in the same period has the new firmware)

anthony11

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 21, 2013, 10:01:34 PM »
In fact if a company updated somebody's software without their consent even if it was released, they could be sued...
Sony FTL

LarryC

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 21, 2013, 10:31:38 PM »
In fact if a company updated somebody's software without their consent even if it was released, they could be sued...

And what exactly would the damages be? 

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2013, 10:41:08 PM »
"Various reports" suggest that there are more than one - has anyone heard of other reports of firmware v1.2.1 in the wild? Or is this all based on a post by a single user who then is unable test if any of the new additions really are there (none of the other posters who has received their 5Dmk3 back from a Canon service center in the same period has the new firmware)
There have been several, including some posted here, and videos taken with the new firmware.  Users have reported finding it on their new cameras as well.

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2013, 11:42:58 PM »
It's curious why, if they're updating bodies in their Service Centers with this new firmware, they haven't already posted it on their website. I have a big shoot coming up this week, and would have liked to run the camera through its paces with this new code. Oh well.
A very valid point. One can hand off a Beta, but you would not update somebody's software (or firmware) without their consent. In fact if a company updated somebody's software without their consent even if it was released, they could be sued...

That said, I am sure there are new versions are in the wild. There has to be a larger group doing a Beta test before release. If they shifted the date till the end of this month, there has to be a reason to re-validate the working of a fix (or three).

Wondering why you say this. Who would be upset to have a newer/better firmware?
And how are you and your lovely wife?

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »
I waited almost 9 months ... so I can wait another 9 days ... No need for me to send it to Canon service center

:) :)
True unless someone was going on a photo trip just this very day..

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2013, 11:44:20 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2013, 12:11:46 AM »
Indeed!

"This too shall Pass"
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Rienzphotoz

• Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2013, 03:31:30 AM »

True ... but I wonder how many Canon service centers actually return the camera in 1 day.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2013, 03:51:15 AM »
It's curious why, if they're updating bodies in their Service Centers with this new firmware, they haven't already posted it on their website. I have a big shoot coming up this week, and would have liked to run the camera through its paces with this new code. Oh well.
A very valid point. One can hand off a Beta, but you would not update somebody's software (or firmware) without their consent. In fact if a company updated somebody's software without their consent even if it was released, they could be sued...

That said, I am sure there are new versions are in the wild. There has to be a larger group doing a Beta test before release. If they shifted the date till the end of this month, there has to be a reason to re-validate the working of a fix (or three).

Wondering why you say this. Who would be upset to have a newer/better firmware?
And how are you and your lovely wife?
I'll PM you. Erica and I were talking about you yesterday.

In the software world "newer" is not always "better".

I guess the next time I leave my camera with Canon I will read the fine print carefully :)

macrodust

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2013, 06:17:21 AM »
According to the OP over at dpreview who got back his camera with Firmware v1.2.1, the AF points do NOT illuminate...
EOS 5D Mark III | EOS 7D | EFS 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 | EF 17-40mm f/4L | EF 24-105mm f/4L IS | EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS | EF 135mm f/2L | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 40mm f/2.8 Pancake | Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art | EF 28mm f/1.8

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2013, 01:08:05 PM »

....which will be the case for some.
....or perhaps planning to shoot some natural world event where timing matters to within plus or minus 1-2 days and April 30th falls a few days beyond (and which won't occur again for another 365 days, assuming the person is again even in a location where such event happens a year from now).

So I don't see the need to start getting on the people saying they were urgently wanting it or trying to find out if a drive to their local service center could help. Just because 9 days means nothing to you doesn't mean it means nothing to others.

« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 01:10:10 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »

Canon always updates firmware when its is sent in.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2013, 03:53:07 PM »

emko

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2013, 09:43:32 PM »

yea someone will sue Canon for giving them the ability to AF at F8.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »

yea someone will sue Canon for giving them the ability to AF at F8.
:)
I asked for that didn't I.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 22, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »