November 29, 2014, 12:19:06 AM

Author Topic: Firmware 1.2.1 for the 5D Mark III in the Wild  (Read 18951 times)

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
Re: Firmware 1.2.1 for the 5D Mark III in the Wild
« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »
BTW, which time zone will Canon follow for this release? Japan time? or GMT? or EST? ... coz if its Japan time, 30th is just about a day away.
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 28, 2013, 03:00:40 PM »

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 28, 2013, 03:03:42 PM »
BTW, which time zone will Canon follow for this release? Japan time? or GMT? or EST? ... coz if its Japan time, 30th is just about a day away.
Japan - my guess...

LetTheRightLensIn

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 28, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
Yeah but they could simply leave it off the supported list but have it still work anyway. It's not like someone couldn't give a try now anyway, people are anyway, so what is the difference. They could make it work but also say it is not supported.

Really stinks.

I dont think that was ever in the cards.  The risk to Canon is too high to have people zoom back to 70 with the xtender on and damage the lens. 

I wonder if the 2XIII now works with the 100-400 zoom?

Argggghh! I hope the 1.2.1 leak is not the final release.

It doesn't seem to recognize using the 1.4x TC III with the 70-300L! (and it fits perfectly at the long end)

It doesn't seem to recognize the TC is on :(.

It doesn't report it as a lens + TC combo for micro-adjustment and it says f/5.6 instead of f/8 :(.

The AF is awful! It does a hyper oscillation before settling in (only 1/3 of the time is it actually in focus :( ) and it's so slow.

It seems like they decided the 1.4x TC III is not compatible with the 70-300L so they don't let it work with the new f/8 AF mode :(. Even though it fits perfectly fine if you keep it at the long end.

Even if they don't official claim support for the combo for fear of someone crying that they tried to go to 70mm and it hit it would be nice if they would just let it work even without being on the official list!

It was precisely with this lens that I cared about f/8!! I have my 300 2.8 that works fine with either 1.4x or 2x III TC already but that is so heavy so it would'be been nice to get f/8 out of the 70-300L for the times I don't wanna lug the beast around which can be a real pain.

Ironically, now I guess I need to spend another $250 and get a kenko? Maybe I should dump the canon 1.4x TC to pay for it.

But people say the Kenko is not as sharp with the 70-300L (or other lenses) and that they notice a bit of a quality difference with the 70-300L. What a shame.

I hope the final release version firmware is different or they allow for a patch. :(

It's quite a tremendous shame since the 70-300L actually maintains pretty solid quality with the Canon 1.4x TC III.  At f/6.3 (f/9) the quality is relatively solid and it is definitely better than upscaling the bare lens, absolutely. It would be soooo useful! COme on Canon THIS is exactly the kinda scenario we wanted f/8 AF for! But seemingly being locked out of the new f/8 mode the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III AF is such an utter colossal wreck :(. But the optical output is solid enough to be usable so it's frustrating.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2013, 03:09:15 PM »
I don't know if the focus was perfect on this since it wasn't done with 10x liveview and the AF is very dodgy since they locked out the new f/8 AF for this combo but one of the better looking frames produced this, not exactly THE sharpest thing in the world, but plenty useful and usable and with more noticeably more detail than an upscale:

I mean damn why do they have to lock out the f/8 for the 70-300L?!! It's such an awesome lens for hiking/walk-around/long landscape and to be able to use it at 300mm and pop on a 1.4x TC is one of a few of the main reasons people cared about f/8 AF ability! That would be so awesome. The results are plenty usable optically, if only it would AF! This is what we were waiting for.

Sure don't say that it is officially supported, fine, but don't lock it out either. That doesn't prevent anything. People can still pop on that combo and having it hit at the short end whether the firmware works with it or not. Stinks they locked it out.

Someone on another board claims it works with the 1DX but that they removed it from the official compat list. So why did they have to go and fully remove it from the 5D3 and not just done the same thing (assuming the story is true)?

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2013, 03:13:58 PM »
I don't know if the focus was perfect on this since it wasn't done with 10x liveview and the AF is very dodgy since they locked out the new f/8 AF for this combo but one of the better looking frames produced this, not exactly THE sharpest thing in the world, but plenty useful and usable and with more noticeably more detail than an upscale:

I mean damn why do they have to lock out the f/8 for the 70-300L?!! It's such an awesome lens for hiking/walk-around/long landscape and to be able to use it at 300mm and pop on a 1.4x TC is one of a few of the main reasons people cared about f/8 AF ability! That would be so awesome. The results are plenty usable optically, if only it would AF! This is what we were waiting for.

Sure don't say that it is officially supported, fine, but don't lock it out either. That doesn't prevent anything. People can still pop on that combo and having it hit at the short end whether the firmware works with it or not. Stinks they locked it out.

Someone on another board claims it works with the 1DX but that they removed it from the official compat list. So why did they have to go and fully remove it from the 5D3 and not just done the same thing (assuming the story is true)?
Just two days man! Just two days. Hang in there.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2013, 03:46:14 PM »

The messed up AF was with the 1.2.1, it did no better with that combo than with the old firmware and it didn't report it properly. I already put the new firmware in. Unless you are hinting that the official version will be say 1.2.2 and offer more support? And put the 70-300L back in? That would be nice.

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

The messed up AF was with the 1.2.1, it did no better with that combo than with the old firmware and it didn't report it properly. I already put the new firmware in. Unless you are hinting that the official version will be say 1.2.2 and offer more support? And put the 70-300L back in? That would be nice.
Hinting? Not me. Hoping is where I am at...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 04:23:38 PM »

MarkII

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2013, 04:36:52 PM »
FWIW, the Kenko 1.4x converter (DGX Pro 300) is working much better with 1.2.1.  The 5DIII seems happy with lenses that would previously have caused the camera to lock up with the converter attached.

(And it still works with the 70-300L - it is a bit slow but it seems to work, ok even in low light)

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2013, 04:49:09 PM »
FWIW, the Kenko 1.4x converter (DGX Pro 300) is working much better with 1.2.1.  The 5DIII seems happy with lenses that would previously have caused the camera to lock up with the converter attached.

(And it still works with the 70-300L - it is a bit slow but it seems to work, ok even in low light)

Is the Kenko sharp enough to get enough out of the 70-300L? On another site someone said it wasn't as crisp when using the Kenko instead of the 1.4 III.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 28, 2013, 05:34:10 PM »
What we dont know is how many 70-300s were sent in for warranty that were screwed up from someone trying what they shouldnt.  If it's not supported why should they bother writing firmware and lens profiles to support the combo?

Anyway, likely that it wont ever be supported until they make a design change to the 70-300....or the 1.4x.  :)

You can roll back to the old firmware but you better download it now as it wont be an option to DL after the 30th.

Yeah but they could simply leave it off the supported list but have it still work anyway. It's not like someone couldn't give a try now anyway, people are anyway, so what is the difference. They could make it work but also say it is not supported.

Really stinks.

I dont think that was ever in the cards.  The risk to Canon is too high to have people zoom back to 70 with the xtender on and damage the lens. 

It doesn't seem to recognize using the 1.4x TC III with the 70-300L! (and it fits perfectly at the long end)

It doesn't report it as a lens + TC combo for micro-adjustment and it says f/5.6 instead of f/8 :(.

The AF is awful! It does a hyper oscillation before settling in (only 1/3 of the time is it actually in focus :( ) and it's so slow.

It seems like they decided the 1.4x TC III is not compatible with the 70-300L so they don't let it work with the new f/8 AF mode :(. Even though it fits perfectly fine if you keep it at the long end.

Even if they don't official claim support for the combo for fear of someone crying that they tried to go to 70mm and it hit it would be nice if they would just let it work even without being on the official list!

It was precisely with this lens that I cared about f/8!! I have my 300 2.8 that works fine with either 1.4x or 2x III TC already but that is so heavy so it would'be been nice to get f/8 out of the 70-300L for the times I don't wanna lug the beast around which can be a real pain.

Ironically, now I guess I need to spend another $250 and get a kenko? Maybe I should dump the canon 1.4x TC to pay for it.

But people say the Kenko is not as sharp with the 70-300L (or other lenses) and that they notice a bit of a quality difference with the 70-300L. What a shame.

I hope the final release version firmware is different or they allow for a patch. :(

It's quite a tremendous shame since the 70-300L actually maintains pretty solid quality with the Canon 1.4x TC III.  At f/6.3 (f/9) the quality is relatively solid and it is definitely better than upscaling the bare lens, absolutely. It would be soooo useful! COme on Canon THIS is exactly the kinda scenario we wanted f/8 AF for! But seemingly being locked out of the new f/8 mode the 70-300L + 1.4x TC III AF is such an utter colossal wreck :(. But the optical output is solid enough to be usable so it's frustrating.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 28, 2013, 05:55:44 PM »
Well it's not like there is a hard lock. People are trying the 1.4x TC III with it anyway, regardless of whether the firmware works well with it or not. If some slammed the zoom in so hard it stripped gears or something you'd think it wouldn't covered under warranty anyway.

What we dont know is how many 70-300s were sent in for warranty that were screwed up from someone trying what they shouldnt.  If it's not supported why should they bother writing firmware and lens profiles to support the combo?

Anyway, likely that it wont ever be supported until they make a design change to the 70-300....or the 1.4x.  :)

You can roll back to the old firmware but you better download it now as it wont be an option to DL after the 30th.

Really stinks.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 28, 2013, 10:06:55 PM »

Well I've now had two people insist that 1DX + f/8 firmware + 70-300L + 1.4x TC III is a go even though not officially supported. So why the heck couldn't they do the same for 5D3? Let it work but don't officially support it?

Seems like all they did during the last few months was make sure to clean out all sorts of useful but unofficially stuff still left in the updated 1DX firmware. :(

Just hoping that what arrives on the 30th is more than 1.2.1.

Click

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »

It's CST ... Canon Standard Time  ;D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2013, 06:12:21 AM »

virsago_mk2

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2013, 06:56:29 AM »
400mm f4 DO + extender 2x II now can AF on my 5D3. But sharpness suffers alot.

East Wind Photography

• 1D Mark IV
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »
You take a big IQ hit with the doubler.  I rarely use it (2XIII) anymore except on my 70-200 2.8L IS II.  I find I can crop without it and get better IQ.  I believe the added "feature" is not worth all of the hype.  Might prove useful with the video folks where the loss if IQ is also lost in the downscale to HD.  For stills, cropping is still better than using the 2XIII.

400mm f4 DO + extender 2x II now can AF on my 5D3. But sharpness suffers alot.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2013, 09:21:35 AM »