August 22, 2014, 05:57:37 AM

Author Topic: Zeiss 135mm f2 Apo Sonnar Preview  (Read 6114 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: Zeiss 135mm f2 Apo Sonnar Preview
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »
The Canon looks better here: http://cfile7.uf.tistory.com/original/185A4D4E5166FB750181D1. It is surprising because Zeiss know bokeh...

I was quite surprised myself a while ago about the way bokeh looks on Zeiss. From what I've read, it's due to the high microcontrast of the Zeiss images, and apparently one cannot have smooth bokeh and high microcontrast at the same time.

I can also see a hint of rings in the highlights but not as bad as with wide lenses. Probably the Zeiss is too corrected or a bit overcorrected to make it look good on charts. There is a well known Zeiss (!) document online which explains how this affects the bokeh...

The bokeh here is disturbing. The 135L can have its problems sometimes but I do not remember seeing anything that bad.

« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:39:40 AM by Pi »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:49 AM »

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:38 AM »

It also has a unique 2100$ price tag too but hey! I'm not saying it isn't the best performing 135mm made just like the zeiss 15mm 2.8 is the best UW lens made. I'm simply saying that sharpness and CA were never an issue with years of me using the 135L but IS was, and a bit more speed would be nice.

Well, the price is in line with other top glass. Canon 85L and the new 24-70 are in the same club.

When you consider it in this perspective it's not so expensive after all.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 10:01:43 AM »

It also has a unique 2100$ price tag too but hey! I'm not saying it isn't the best performing 135mm made just like the zeiss 15mm 2.8 is the best UW lens made. I'm simply saying that sharpness and CA were never an issue with years of me using the 135L but IS was, and a bit more speed would be nice.

Well, the price is in line with other top glass. Canon 85L and the new 24-70 are in the same club.

Not really. The 85L is unique because its f/1.2 and the 24-70 is a zoom, can't really compare. Now if this 135mm were f/1.8, then I could hold it in the same category but f/2? No practical reason to consider upgrading.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 12:32:09 PM »

Not really. The 85L is unique because its f/1.2 and the 24-70 is a zoom, can't really compare. Now if this 135mm were f/1.8, then I could hold it in the same category but f/2? No practical reason to consider upgrading.

No practical reason for you. Fair enough. But I wasn't talking about you, I was comparing the price of this lens with other lenses in the same quality league. It doesn't seem to me that its price is way off the standard for the best glass club.

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 12:43:03 PM »

No practical reason for you. Fair enough. But I wasn't talking about you, I was comparing the price of this lens with other lenses in the same quality league. It doesn't seem to me that its price is way off the standard for the best glass club.

Sure, Because my opinions are exactly what they are. My own thoughts on a subject and my opinion's are always about practical use of equipment. Which on this particular lens, isn't very high on my list of practicality.

If others find my opinion of value, great. If not, great but doesn't sway me one bit.

Albi86

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:18 PM »

Sure, Because my opinions are exactly what they are. My own thoughts on a subject and my opinion's are always about practical use of equipment. Which on this particular lens, isn't very high on my list of practicality.

If others find my opinion of value, great. If not, great but doesn't sway me one bit.

Sorry, I admit my fault.

I tried twice to explain that my point is to frame this lens in the price range of other products of similar quality, also high-lighting that it offers something different from Canon/Nikon/Sigma/Whatever and thus it's probably targeted at a different audience. You don't buy a Zeiss because there's no other good lens available in market; you buy a Zeiss because you want a Zeiss - for a number of reasons.

No way I could succeed in my purpose. Unfortunately you are tenaciously remarking that you wouldn't replace your 135L for it.

Axilrod

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »
The bokeh here is disturbing. The 135L can have its problems sometimes but I do not remember seeing anything that bad.

That's one bad example, it looks beautiful in the other shots.  I have a 50L/85L/135L and the bokeh from my Zeiss lenses has still always impressed me.
5DIII/5DII/Bunch of L's and ZE's, currently rearranging.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 01:50:23 PM »