October 01, 2014, 03:29:43 PM

Author Topic: The sound of silence  (Read 8592 times)

skullyspice

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Photojensen.com
Re: The sound of silence
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »
canon just anncounced that they will make no annocument today.

I guess that still counts as an announcement
5D3, 1vHS, 1nRS, F-1N x6, Fuji X-T1, Fuji X100
50 F1.2L, 100 F2.8L Macro, 200 F2.8L, 40 F2.8, 17-40 F4L, 24-105 F4L, 70-300 F4-5.6L
www.photojensen.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 03:08:09 PM »

eml58

• 1D X
  • 1Dx
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2013, 08:45:03 PM »
Written by Paul Simon sung by "Simon@Garfunkel"
That is the first thought that hit me. I just love that song!

And then there was the news of the bombing in Boston some days back - and in Tripoli and the killings in Nigeria and so many more deaths... for no reason. And as you can notice I am just talking about human deaths...
*sigh*

I wish we were "better" living beings...

Agreed, were not, but we live in hope.
The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2013, 09:12:40 PM »
So today is the much anticipated April 23 day of announcements... When the earth shakes and both the 70D (new sensor technology) and the 200-400 lens ( rumored to exist longer than Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster) get revealed to the world......

So far, silence....
I would react, but the 200-400 will be out of my range and I am all set for equipment anyway, at least for the next few months. BUT one thing that concerns me (or it could be that I've spent too much time on this forum) is that Canon seems a bit slow with their launches, have they always been that? Or is it that the market have been disrupted by Sony's new sensors and possibly Sigma's recent announcements?

This is not a troll post, I am a Canon guy and will stay a Canon guy for years to come, I am very happy with my gear. I'm just trying to get my arms around it.

thanks
J

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2013, 09:48:04 PM »

I doubt Canon announced anything. All we talk about is our speculations which may or may not have anything to do with plans of Canon itself.

ROBOTMAN28

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 09:54:58 PM »
I had to jump in here. Whenever I get new cameraitis I get my 7D out and go take some pictures. Tonight I used my tripod and took several shots off of my patio as the sun was going down. I used my 24-105 at 28 mm and F8. I tried a few little tweaks like bumping the saturation up to 1 in the Neutral setting and increasing the sharpness to 2. I tried different focus modes from my usual "Single point AF", including the manual zone select shifted to the left for a particular tree. I played with white balance settings. I shot in Live mode with a 2 second timer for many of the shots. I took 19 shots all in all. Brought them inside and pixel peeped the heck out of them. I made some crops, kept one in the original framing, and made a watercolor out of a crop of the tree that caught my eye. The crummy old 7D will still take better images than I can visualize. I don't use the fast focus on mine so much, stills and macro are more my thing. My point is, the camera isn't the limitation, I am.

Still, the new ones will make it easier to get good images (we used to say exposures) and I like the idea of higher res. With high resolution you can use a really good fixed lens and crop your zoom later. I feel like I am missing out on something not having a new way cool camera right now! I guess I'll just try to get more things framed correctly the first time and learn how to use the camera I have with more skill!!! LOL

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2013, 10:49:03 PM »

I guess that still counts as an announcement
+1  ;D
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

Krob78

• 1D X
  • When in Doubt, Press the Shutter...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »
I had to jump in here. Whenever I get new cameraitis I get my 7D out and go take some pictures. Tonight I used my tripod and took several shots off of my patio as the sun was going down. I used my 24-105 at 28 mm and F8. I tried a few little tweaks like bumping the saturation up to 1 in the Neutral setting and increasing the sharpness to 2. I tried different focus modes from my usual "Single point AF", including the manual zone select shifted to the left for a particular tree. I played with white balance settings. I shot in Live mode with a 2 second timer for many of the shots. I took 19 shots all in all. Brought them inside and pixel peeped the heck out of them. I made some crops, kept one in the original framing, and made a watercolor out of a crop of the tree that caught my eye. The crummy old 7D will still take better images than I can visualize. I don't use the fast focus on mine so much, stills and macro are more my thing. My point is, the camera isn't the limitation, I am.

Still, the new ones will make it easier to get good images (we used to say exposures) and I like the idea of higher res. With high resolution you can use a really good fixed lens and crop your zoom later. I feel like I am missing out on something not having a new way cool camera right now! I guess I'll just try to get more things framed correctly the first time and learn how to use the camera I have with more skill!!! LOL
I have a 5D Mk III and a 7D.  I pulled out my 7D today.  I still love it, it's still a "way cool" camera!  Just sayin...  8)
Ken

5D Mark III, 100-400mm L, EF 70-200mm f/2.8 II, EF 24-105mm L, EF 17-40mm L, EF 85mm f/1.8 USM,  Canon 580EX II, Canon 430EX II, Promaster TC 1.7x

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2013, 10:51:31 PM »

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »

Great (first!) post. Respect.  ;) That is also how I often 'cure' my 'new cameraitis' - actually go out and practice, and make some decent photos!

Over many years of photography, I've realise that I still have a lot to learn, develop, practice and enjoy about my current photo great... which currently includes a Canon 7D with 5 good lenses.

Paul   8)
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2013, 11:46:26 PM »
Shhocker- no 200 to 400! I wonder if it really exists outside of a few prototypes.
I guess I will have a few extra thousands of dollars to hold on to (said with sarcsm). 

sek
So today is the much anticipated April 23 day of announcements... When the earth shakes and both the 70D (new sensor technology) and the 200-400 lens ( rumored to exist longer than Bigfoot and the Loch Ness monster) get revealed to the world......

So far, silence....
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 03:50:57 AM »
Written by Paul Simon sung by "Simon@Garfunkel"
That is the first thought that hit me. I just love that song!

And then there was the news of the bombing in Boston some days back - and in Tripoli and the killings in Nigeria and so many more deaths... for no reason. And as you can notice I am just talking about human deaths...
*sigh*

I wish we were "better" living beings...

Agreed, were not, but we live in hope.
Yup! There is hope!

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 06:48:59 AM »

And that's what it is all about.... Seeing and creativity....  Great first post and welcome to the forum.
The best camera is the one in your hands

CROSSfirePhoto

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • CROSSfire Photography
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 10:44:49 AM »
was getting burned out recently... slapped my nifty fifty on my 7D and just went for a walk around town... best thing i could have done... usually shoot sports... took a week off and shot everything but...

hadnt used that lens in a few months, got in a rut with my 70-200 and 28-75...

threw my 70-200 on my 40D, switched to B&W and shot a whole soccer game with burst mode off... forced me to change my 'spray and pray' midset with my 7D and focus (no pun intended) on my shooting...

read about the 36 challege... only take 36 shots at an event as if i only had a roll of film in the camera... that about killed me off... used to running 700-1000 shots per game/event... but i really tried (took 54) but it took less time to edit them down (shoot for a local paper) and i appreciated the shots more...

Blessings,
paul
Light Up The Darkness... 1 Cor. 10:31

dlleno

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »
was getting burned out recently... slapped my nifty fifty on my 7D and just went for a walk around town... best thing i could have done... usually shoot sports... took a week off and shot everything but...

hadnt used that lens in a few months, got in a rut with my 70-200 and 28-75...

threw my 70-200 on my 40D, switched to B&W and shot a whole soccer game with burst mode off... forced me to change my 'spray and pray' midset with my 7D and focus (no pun intended) on my shooting...

read about the 36 challege... only take 36 shots at an event as if i only had a roll of film in the camera... that about killed me off... used to running 700-1000 shots per game/event... but i really tried (took 54) but it took less time to edit them down (shoot for a local paper) and i appreciated the shots more...

Blessings,
paul

Definitely enjoyed the spray and pray comment.... and having come from the world of 35mm film where even 2fps was astonishing, I for one value the burst mode.  But I totally agree that one must strike the right balance and use burst mode as a tool when it is warranted, and not just for the sound effects :D .   I really like the above-mentioned exercise -- one must not lose the skill of finger/eye coordination and capturing the right moment.  Here's an example where I'm likely to use burst mode without apology:  You're at an air show and you want to blur the prop on the P51, and so your shutter speed is slower than the rule of thumb for handheld photos.  It may take a few frames to get the plane itself tack sharp.  Yea I’m not a fan of seeing P51s hanging in the sky as if suspended by a string.  If it has a prop, blur it :D :D :D

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:32 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 12:34:23 PM »
Sound of silence ...

Oh yeah! I can hear it loud and clear! In fact the rumor regarding the (further) delay with the 200-400 sounds like a fart   ;)
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

shutterlag

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »
Speaking of silence, check out this hilarious review from the camera store on the "new" T5i:

Canon Rebel T5i (700d) Hands-On

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 12:48:41 PM »