July 28, 2014, 02:41:24 PM

Author Topic: Bye Canon?  (Read 27647 times)

sandymandy

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Canon?
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »
Then whats the difference if u got the 70d? Suddenly shooting world class photos? Dont be blinded by technical facts, after 2 weeks (or sooner) u will be so used to ur camera its just normal for u.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2013, 06:39:29 AM »

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2013, 09:05:17 AM »
In a way I am also frustrated with the direction Canon is heading with their DSLR cameras, but when I see the size my bank account has grown due to this frustration I can only smile.

What I mean is that since "going digital" with the EOS 30D, Canon hasn't brought out any camera (or lens) that I truly desire ... apart from the 7D, which I couldn't afford when it was released, but now that I can, it is four years old and so I'm holding out for the 7D2 ... and the 100D, but since it doesn't have Kelvin WB I won't be buying it.

And none of this affects Canon's #1 position ...
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

bycostello

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • London Weddings
« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2013, 10:15:00 AM »
happy with the camera i have.. dosn't really matter if it is canon or whatever else...

pictaker

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 28, 2013, 01:39:27 PM »
Well.. first of all, no, I'm neither a Troll nor did i ever believed to have any impact on canon  :). But yes, there was a reason to start this post. Reading so many specs an rumored specs i was up for a more emotinal debate and i got it. Thanks to everyone, i think there have been some really good thoughts in here. And finally believe it or not, it helped me to get closer to a decision- eg my priority about video af changed and my patience.

Now i will focus more on weather capabilities and viewfinder... seems to be more important. And no, it won't be nikon.. but maybe pentax...  again thanks for sharing your thoughs.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 28, 2013, 03:20:11 PM »
Well.. first of all, no, I'm neither a Troll nor did i ever believed to have any impact on canon  :). But yes, there was a reason to start this post. Reading so many specs an rumored specs i was up for a more emotinal debate and i got it. Thanks to everyone, i think there have been some really good thoughts in here. And finally believe it or not, it helped me to get closer to a decision- eg my priority about video af changed and my patience.

Now i will focus more on weather capabilities and viewfinder... seems to be more important. And no, it won't be nikon.. but maybe pentax...  again thanks for sharing your thoughs.

That should have been whether.

weather: The state of the atmosphere at a particular place and time as regards heat, cloudiness, dryness, sunshine, wind, rain, etc.
whether: Expressing a doubt or choice between alternatives

http://oxforddictionaries.com/

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2013, 03:43:49 PM »
Maybe the new camera will have weather capabilities  ;)

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »
Whether it will have weather capabilities needs to be seen about the scene.
 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2013, 04:20:19 PM »

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2013, 05:50:41 PM »
Of course it will have weather capabilities..... At the least it will be able to handle sunny or cloudy :)
The best camera is the one in your hands

FunkyCamera

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 28, 2013, 07:12:23 PM »
LOL why buy a nikon camera? They are about 8 years behind Canon. Buy an 8 year old Canon for cheaper and get the same image quality as a new nikon.

I don't know why those jokers are still in the industry they make the worst cameras ever. Even my iphone beats a Nikon.

dick ranez

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 30, 2013, 12:11:39 AM »
Does the term "leapfrog" mean anything to you.  Camera offerings are like the weather in Oklahoma, if you don't like it, wait twenty minutes and it will be different.  If you can't wait, buy the Nikon, invest in new lenses and
shoot 'til your fingers hurt.

friedmud

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 30, 2013, 12:44:38 AM »
I switched to Nikon about 8 months ago and I'm still loving it.  I left for the image quality... and I haven't been disappointed by my D600.

One thing that I didn't expect to love?  The lenses.  I had always heard about the legendary Canon lenses... and I really thought that I would miss them (especially my 70-200 f/4 IS L)... but that's not what happened.

I bought the D600 with the 50mm f/1.8... that is a SPECTACULAR lens.  So sharp.  So fast and accurate to focus.  Just beautiful bokeh - and CHEAP!

From there I sprang for my workhorse lens: 24-70 f/2.8G... sharp from corner to corner... unbelievably fast to focus... and incredible color rendition.

Lately - I just picked up a refurbished 70-300 for $350.  I can't believe how great that lens is (especially for the price!).  I wasn't expecting the AF to be up to tracking subjects... but actually it does just as well (sometimes better) as my 70-200 f/4 did with my 7D!  Sure, it's not as sharp as my 70-200, but the IQ of the D600 more than makes up for it.

So?  What do I miss about Canon?  CANONRUMORS! ;-)

Seriously - I've just not been able to find another community that is as good as CanonRumors.  NikonRumors is ok for rumors (although it doesn't get updated often enough) but the community is not great... quite a lot more amateurs and certainly not the great technical exchange that happens here on CR.

So if you're thinking of jumping ship... do it for the IQ and don't look back (other than back to CR ;-)

birdman

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:59 AM »
I switched to Nikon about 8 months ago and I'm still loving it.  I left for the image quality... and I haven't been disappointed by my D600.

One thing that I didn't expect to love?  The lenses.  I had always heard about the legendary Canon lenses... and I really thought that I would miss them (especially my 70-200 f/4 IS L)... but that's not what happened.

I bought the D600 with the 50mm f/1.8... that is a SPECTACULAR lens.  So sharp.  So fast and accurate to focus.  Just beautiful bokeh - and CHEAP!

From there I sprang for my workhorse lens: 24-70 f/2.8G... sharp from corner to corner... unbelievably fast to focus... and incredible color rendition.

Lately - I just picked up a refurbished 70-300 for $350.  I can't believe how great that lens is (especially for the price!).  I wasn't expecting the AF to be up to tracking subjects... but actually it does just as well (sometimes better) as my 70-200 f/4 did with my 7D!  Sure, it's not as sharp as my 70-200, but the IQ of the D600 more than makes up for it.

So?  What do I miss about Canon?  CANONRUMORS! ;-)

Seriously - I've just not been able to find another community that is as good as CanonRumors.  NikonRumors is ok for rumors (although it doesn't get updated often enough) but the community is not great... quite a lot more amateurs and certainly not the great technical exchange that happens here on CR.

So if you're thinking of jumping ship... do it for the IQ and don't look back (other than back to CR ;-)

I'm in same boat, and actually went to Nikon for D800's DR and IQ, and for their UWA lenses -- of which I own the 16-35VR. Coming from the 5d2, 17-40L, 35L, and a few others (100mm Macro non-IS) I knew that all those would be covered. But seriously, I've never heard Canon had BETTER lens offerings...simply just more of a choice. That's drastically changed over the past 4-5 years with all of the new 1.8AF primes and 4.0VR zooms. I love both companies, and I have lots of nostalgic memories with my 40d, Rebel XS, and 5d2. Also, my 35L was a stunner. I loved that glass...wow, the colors and character. Even the build was beautiful. Each company has its own flavor and I agree -- CanonRumors is the best un-official corporate company website. Lots more bickering and negativity at times -- which can be blamed on 2-3X the number of members as other boards.

Don't trash Nikon, Sony, Leica, etc... they all have great offerings. Peace out. And BTW, the 70-300VR is a wonderful lens!! I have the 50 & 85/1.8G as well and they are phenoms. The 35L is still better than the 35/1.4G
5d2; 17-40L; 35L; 50/1.8 Mk. 1; 70-300 IS; 100mm/2.8

KevinB

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:42 AM »
Oh Wow I thought you meant BUY Canon.. Been There Done That !!

To each their own...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #57 on: April 30, 2013, 01:46:42 AM »

rambler

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 30, 2013, 04:02:08 AM »
I switched from Nikon to Canon due to image quality. I have used Nikons since the D50 and the last was the D7000. looking to upgrade I decided on the D800. This was my move to Full frame so took a mem card and took some shots using the D800 and 24-70 lens. This was supposed to be a great combo. found that the images were very flat and lacked dynamism. Same with the D600.

A friend lent me his 5Dmk2 and with the first shot I knew this was what I was looking for. The image looked so natural and there was depth and detail which the D800 could not match. Bought the 5Dm3 and never looked back.

dirtcastle

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:20 AM »
I agree that CR is an amazing photo community. But as with all spec-centric forums, people tend to overemphasize the importance of the latest/greatest gear. All the latest Canon and Nikon DSLRs are amazing. People fretting over "Canon vs. Nikon" are splitting hairs. Both brands are amazing. It's great to hear about the relative strengths and weaknesses, but those marginal differences rarely hold back good photographers.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 05:23:56 AM by dirtcastle »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #59 on: April 30, 2013, 04:38:20 AM »