September 22, 2014, 02:17:11 AM

Author Topic: Bye Canon?  (Read 28947 times)

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Re: Bye Canon?
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:11 AM »
Hey folks,
I'been waiting so long fot the 70d.... now it's again some more weeks away-at least. :-(

Looks like I'm finally going to switch to Nikon after 8 YEARS Canon... and now i'm wondering who else?
Anyone else out there who takes the consequences of the missing features or am i the only one?

Just wondering....

I agree with you.... i am with Canon for 12 YEARS ;). with the exception of 1DX Nikon is better (overall). i will wait to see the new 7D2.... after that i will make the final decision: stay with Canon or switch to Nikon.
65% of my total income is made out of photography... I can not afford to think sentimental when is my future involved.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2013, 05:32:11 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #61 on: April 30, 2013, 06:46:48 AM »
Hey folks,
I'been waiting so long fot the 70d.... now it's again some more weeks away-at least. :-(

Looks like I'm finally going to switch to Nikon after 8 YEARS Canon... and now i'm wondering who else?
Anyone else out there who takes the consequences of the missing features or am i the only one?

Just wondering....

I agree with you.... i am with Canon for 12 YEARS ;). with the exception of 1DX Nikon is better (overall). i will wait to see the new 7D2.... after that i will make the final decision: stay with Canon or switch to Nikon.
65% of my total income is made out of photography... I can not afford to think sentimental when is my future involved.
Really? I mean really really? Check out dritcastle's quote below and take a moment to think about it.

I am only an amateur, but with you being the experienced pro, I really wonder what kind of pictures you take. There are often golf analogies on this forum, good for me as I am a golfer myself. The gear is one thing, technique is the most important thing whatever it comes to. Tiger Woods is the best golfer who has ever lived on the planet and I can assure you he would still be winning tournaments with just about any clubs in the bag.

On this forum we have experienced pros like PWP and some other guys that still shoot Canon even though they apparently suck. Please tell me you compare yourself to them and that your skills are so much greater than theirs and that your results depend so much on that extra little DR (or whatever) you can get out of the gear. If not, then take some time to sit down and think about what you're trying to accomplish and why you (apparently) are not.

I agree that CR is an amazing photo community. But as with all spec-centric forums, people tend to overemphasize the importance of the latest/greatest gear. All the latest Canon and Nikon DSLRs are amazing. People fretting over "Canon vs. Nikon" are splitting hairs. Both brands are amazing. It's great to hear about the relative strengths and weaknesses, but those marginal differences rarely hold back good photographers.

psolberg

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 30, 2013, 07:29:10 AM »
Hey folks,

Just wondering....

The ease of the transition depends to an ever decreasing degree on what your photography is. The majority of people will lose or gain little, unless off course you're looking for something specific in the competitor's system. Your skill as a dealer will also impact your final numbers as well as your initial inventory. With lenses as outrageously priced on the canon side recently, as well as some bodies, it is no longer always true that the Nikon side is more expensive. Again, it all depends on your current gear.

I did the switch last year after being with canon for over a decade. It was quite painless and I consider it a net gain as Nikon has essentially fixed all the major gaps they had just a decade ago which would have prevented me from switching. Both systems still have big holes, but that is irrelevant if those holes do not affect you.

I encourage you to think of this without considering too much the opinions of people that suffer from Stockholm syndrome. unfortunately photographers identify with their OEM brand far more than most professionals and therefore try too hard to make people like you change their minds (or if they are on the other side, convince you). 99% of the people that question my switch boiled down their arguments to irrelevant factoids about the lack of some particular lens model, or body feature, which I didn't care for, or some glass ball prediction.

I'd recommend that if you do the switch, do it because you want to. Don't hold gear because of some loyalty. That is stupid. I shoot Nikon today but 8 years from now, I'd shoot Sony if that is what worked for me, or canon again. I don't advise switching every month off course, but it is good to re-evaluate choices, specially in times of great change. In 2002, I could write Nikon off.  But in 2012, I could not longer find a single reason to stay with canon. What a difference a decade makes. Screw loyalty. This is about YOU.

I agree that CR is an amazing photo community. But as with all spec-centric forums, people tend to overemphasize the importance of the latest/greatest gear. All the latest Canon and Nikon DSLRs are amazing. People fretting over "Canon vs. Nikon" are splitting hairs. Both brands are amazing. It's great to hear about the relative strengths and weaknesses, but those marginal differences rarely hold back good photographers.

exactly right. I would in fact advise OP to avoid this board for this kind of decision. find a neutral board with shooters of all systems. there is off course going to be a huge bias to canon on a rumors board for people are pre-disposed to canon gear's latest and greatest or they wouldn't be here. Nikonrumors board would be just as bad a place to be fair.

When I switched, I asked in some Nikon boards for opinions but was quick to rule out the fanboys. I did get some useful honest info, in particular because many Nikon guys were canon guys not long ago, and they could offer far more valuable advise than the typical forum person pushing the only brand they've ever known.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 07:36:29 AM by psolberg »

nicku

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2013, 07:33:14 AM »
Hey folks,

Just wondering....

Really? I mean really really? Check out dritcastle's quote below and take a moment to think about it.

I am only an amateur, but with you being the experienced pro, I really wonder what kind of pictures you take. There are often golf analogies on this forum, good for me as I am a golfer myself. The gear is one thing, technique is the most important thing whatever it comes to. Tiger Woods is the best golfer who has ever lived on the planet and I can assure you he would still be winning tournaments with just about any clubs in the bag.

On this forum we have experienced pros like PWP and some other guys that still shoot Canon even though they apparently suck. Please tell me you compare yourself to them and that your skills are so much greater than theirs and that your results depend so much on that extra little DR (or whatever) you can get out of the gear. If not, then take some time to sit down and think about what you're trying to accomplish and why you (apparently) are not.

:)) you are so funny..... really,really.... the things that are important to me:

1. DR ( and yes those 3 extra stops make the difference)
2. Resolution. In what i do (commercial,product) size matters ( like in other cases  :P )

let me put it this way.... why the top Pro photographers shoot only with Hassyes and MF cameras ???  8) 8)

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2013, 07:43:50 AM »
Hey folks,

Just wondering....

:)) you are so funny..... really,really.... the things that are important to me:

2. Resolution. In what i do (commercial,product) size matters ( like in other cases  :P )

let me put it this way.... why the top Pro photographers shoot only with Hassyes and MF cameras ???  8) 8)
Top photographers? By what definition?  And if you're not, then do you consider yourself to be one? Are you skilled enough?

Not sure the best sports photographers would pick a Hasselblad.

Does the lack of those three stops make you lose customers? If so, due to gear or skill?

insanitybeard

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 07:44:28 AM »

Emphasis on your words 'IN WHAT I DO'. That doesn't encompass everbody. I don't see many pros using MF and Hasselblad at sports events. Correct tools for the job etc.
7D / EF-S 10-22 / 17-40L / 70-200 f4L IS / EF-S 60 macro

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »

Emphasis on your words 'IN WHAT I DO'. That doesn't encompass everbody. I don't see many pros using MF and Hasselblad at sports events. Correct tools for the job etc.
I completely agree, I asked what kind of work he or she is doing, but no response. Art photography? Well I don't know man. Is it really those extra stops of DR that make him lose customers?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #66 on: April 30, 2013, 07:53:18 AM »

RLPhoto

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2013, 09:16:06 AM »
They use MF because they destroy anything 35mm can offer for what they do. Period.

Sync speeds, leaf shutters, massive sensor size, exceptional glass, and a sense of seriousness for client PR.

I find it amusing when some compared high MP 35mm to MF, its no comparison at all.

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #68 on: April 30, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »

On what planet ?

Or maybe a better question would be: what have you been smoking ?

Sporgon

• 1D X
  • 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #69 on: April 30, 2013, 09:33:50 AM »

I find it amusing when some compared high MP 35mm to MF, its no comparison at all.

Quite true, 35mm format is 35mm format never mind how many mp you shoe horn in.

The trouble with MF though, now as before, is the equipment is considerably more expensive, and considerably less versatile.

Sella174

• 5D Mark III
  • So there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 30, 2013, 09:42:15 AM »
I always find it pathetic when people base their choice of brand/gear on what some or other "pro" uses.
Happily ignoring the laws of physics and the rules of photography to create better pictures.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #71 on: April 30, 2013, 09:59:33 AM »
They use MF because they destroy anything 35mm can offer for what they do. Period.

Sync speeds, leaf shutters, massive sensor size, exceptional glass, and a sense of seriousness for client PR.

You're the pro Ramon. If this guy 'needs' MF then why is he talking about switching to Nikon?

Don Haines

• Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »

I couldn't agree more. That's why all wedding photographers shoot MF...... And wildlife photographers shoot MF because it is so easy to buy and carry MF cameras and lenses with the same reach as the " big whites ".  And that's why all sports photographers use MF, you never see Canons and Nikons at the big games.

P.S. What is the appropriate tag for HUGE SARCASM
The best camera is the one in your hands

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #72 on: April 30, 2013, 10:27:43 AM »

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #73 on: April 30, 2013, 10:36:38 AM »

I couldn't agree more. That's why all wedding photographers shoot MF...... And wildlife photographers shoot MF because it is so easy to buy and carry MF cameras and lenses with the same reach as the " big whites ".  And that's why all sports photographers use MF, you never see Canons and Nikons at the big games.

[/quote

It's just  ;D

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »

It's just  ;D
Safer To write it in English. My tongue in cheek comment confused someone today...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #74 on: April 30, 2013, 10:52:40 AM »