July 24, 2014, 11:46:38 PM

Author Topic: 270 ex ii or 430 exii for vacation  (Read 3365 times)

Pi

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Math and Photography
Re: 270 ex ii or 430 exii for vacation
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »
The 270 would be OK. It is only 2/3 stop below the 430; and in most cases, flashes do not fire at 100% anyway. In poor light, it works well as a fill light, no bounce. Canon refurbished has the 270 sometimes.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2013, 12:37:53 PM »

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2013, 01:04:23 PM »
with a Stofen.

why? for outdoor shots, it's not like the flash is going to bounce off of anything... a sto-fen would just cost you flash power.

People shots, fill flash, softening, don't see how your going to be able to us a bounce flash much if at all at Disneyland.

I'd also use manual and dial it down a bit too for close-ups

That's the point. the sto-fen Omni Bounce is exactly that: it simulates a bare-bulb effect, throwing light everywhere, so it bounces off of every available surface. It's not a softbox, and the apparent flash head size is the same, so you'll still get the same shadows you'd get without it. You're just throwing light in other directions that will be wasted instead of landing on your subject. Might as well not use it and just use a bare flash head. Or, get something like a Lumiquest softbox that goes onto the flash head and softens the light, if that's your goal.
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

RC

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2013, 01:23:30 PM »
with a Stofen.

why? for outdoor shots, it's not like the flash is going to bounce off of anything... a sto-fen would just cost you flash power.

People shots, fill flash, softening, don't see how your going to be able to us a bounce flash much if at all at Disneyland.

I'd also use manual and dial it down a bit too for close-ups

That's the point. the sto-fen Omni Bounce is exactly that: it simulates a bare-bulb effect, throwing light everywhere, so it bounces off of every available surface. It's not a softbox, and the apparent flash head size is the same, so you'll still get the same shadows you'd get without it. You're just throwing light in other directions that will be wasted instead of landing on your subject. Might as well not use it and just use a bare flash head. Or, get something like a Lumiquest softbox that goes onto the flash head and softens the light, if that's your goal.

No doubt, a little soft box on your flash head would be much better but a little bulky for walking around Disneyland.    And of course the Stofen diffuser is not ideal but I'd rather have it than direct flash for a little fill-in flash.

ihendy

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2013, 02:38:31 PM »
I've got both of these flashes with 5d II and have visited Disney a lot.

The 270ex II is really light and portable.  You can keep it on your camera all the time as it's super small and not too bulky for getting on and off all the rides.  It's a great little fill flash, and would do an o.k. job with a 2.8 lens.  The high speed synch has to be enabled through an in camera menu so that's a little bit fiddly.  Also, it blast short bursts of light in stead of infra red to achieve focus in the dark. It's annoying. That feature can be disabled in camera but then you have no focus assit in the dark.

The 430ex II is probably the sweet spot between size and functionality.  It has more bounce options, stronger power to overcome the noon day sun, easier access to control flash features like high speed synch.  If you've got little girls and are planning to do a lot of portrait with the princess characters, then this is your flash. it also has a proper IR beam to help you achieve focus in the dark.

If  was going today I would probably bring te 270 ex II to Disney because I have lots of good Disney shots and Disney is more fun when you pack light.  If it was my first time though, I'd bring the 430 II with a stophen so I did not miss any moments.

Lastly - if your not on the 5dc and shoot a lot of video - you may want to check out 320ex for the video light. I've not experience with this flash.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

5dmk II 40d RX100 M3 17-40L 24-70L II 2.8 70-200L IS II 2.8 35L 50 1.4 85L II 100L Macro 135L 270exII 430 Ex 600 ex x2, lots of stands and lighting equipment and way too many camera bags

KKCFamilyman

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • Nicholas J Allo Photography
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »
I've got both of these flashes with 5d II and have visited Disney a lot.

The 270ex II is really light and portable.  You can keep it on your camera all the time as it's super small and not too bulky for getting on and off all the rides.  It's a great little fill flash, and would do an o.k. job with a 2.8 lens.  The high speed synch has to be enabled through an in camera menu so that's a little bit fiddly.  Also, it blast short bursts of light in stead of infra red to achieve focus in the dark. It's annoying. That feature can be disabled in camera but then you have no focus assit in the dark.

The 430ex II is probably the sweet spot between size and functionality.  It has more bounce options, stronger power to overcome the noon day sun, easier access to control flash features like high speed synch.  If you've got little girls and are planning to do a lot of portrait with the princess characters, then this is your flash. it also has a proper IR beam to help you achieve focus in the dark.

If  was going today I would probably bring te 270 ex II to Disney because I have lots of good Disney shots and Disney is more fun when you pack light.  If it was my first time though, I'd bring the 430 II with a stophen so I did not miss any moments.

Lastly - if your not on the 5dc and shoot a lot of video - you may want to check out 320ex for the video light. I've not experience with this flash.

Hope this helps,

Ian.

Thanks.

Thats where im stuck disney with 270 that is lighter and can stay on the camera longer or 430 that might help for bibbity and noon character greetings. Have a lot of great shots but this is my first full frame trip so don't want to regret it. If I get the 270 will probably grab the 40mm for a light day here and there. Also it will be the 4th of july so hot and not sure if too much gear will be too heavy. I am bringing a lowe pro 350aw but was going to try and find something smaller to alternate days.
1Dx, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200 f2.8 IS II L, Sigma 35mm 1.4, 85mm 1.2 ii L, 100mm 2.8L macro, 70-300 L, 40mm 2.8, 3 x 600ex rt, ST-E3

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2013, 11:07:16 PM »