December 17, 2014, 08:23:49 PM

Author Topic: That's my money you are profiting from Canon!!!  (Read 10130 times)

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: That's my money you are profiting from Canon!!!
« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »
Naw... not offended by you... just tired of hearing all the whining and complaining on CR over the last 12 months... Used to check out CR often but not any more... too many downers here.

Yes, this is off topic, but I agree with you.  It's been debated before, but I still see a strong correlation between the increasingly hostile and combative environment and the loss of the karma system.  It wasn't a perfect system, but I think it did manage to keep it more civilized around here.

Smite.   :P
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2013, 07:49:14 PM »

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #31 on: April 24, 2013, 08:54:56 PM »

Yes, this is off topic, but I agree with you.  It's been debated before, but I still see a strong correlation between the increasingly hostile and combative environment and the loss of the karma system.  It wasn't a perfect system, but I think it did manage to keep it more civilized around here.

Absolutely agree. As flawed as the Karma system was, it served as a powerful feedback to participants as to how their overall behavior was being  perceived by other forum participants. Karma has now been too often replaced by personal attacks and drive-by comments.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #32 on: April 24, 2013, 10:23:19 PM »
I could not disagree more.

Hostile and combative rarely characterize discussions I read here these days. I do have a bias toward thinking most people are simply too sensitive. They are easily offended, and somehow they acquired the wrongheaded idea that they should go through life without anyone offending them.

In the "karma" days, people seemed inclined to respond to the silly "smite" with more of their own smites. That escalated, people assumed they knew who bad marked them and then they tended to respond with some nasty remark -- sort of a passive aggressive response to real or imagined disrespects.

We do pretty well around here for being in a world where we have no verbal cues, no body language and almost no social history with the other posters.

I think this perspective is a little more balanced, so I disagree soundly.

Absolutely agree. As flawed as the Karma system was, it served as a powerful feedback to participants as to how their overall behavior was being  perceived by other forum participants. Karma has now been too often replaced by personal attacks and drive-by comments.
You're offended? Oh, really! Life IS offense -- get used to it.

scottkinfw

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • kasden.smug.com
« Reply #33 on: April 24, 2013, 11:22:39 PM »
I have too many Canon toys.  Nobody put a gun to my head to buy them.  In fact, this week I purchased a 24-70 2.8L II.  I anticipate a long relationship with it.  No buyers remorse here.  So, what is your point?

No. It's not.

Unless you own stock in Canon, you traded them your money for that long list of toys you so proudly display at the bottom of your post. You own that stuff now and can do whatever you want with it. It's yours. It's also now Canon's money and they are free to do what they want with it. So, No. It's not your money.

Secondly, why do people post stories without bothering to read them? Or in this case, even reading the headline.

Canon is adjusting their earnings estimates because the Japanese government's monetary policies have resulted in some inflation at home and some loss in value of the Yen against other currencies in international trade. It's an accounting adjustment.

Finally, I never understand why people get upset when Canon makes money. Do you think they would have more money to invest in research and development if they were losing money? Do you think they would be able to cut their prices if they were losing money?

Couldn't agree more... JR if your upset that canon is turning a high profit, stop buying their stuff... simple... i'm sure canon is shaking in their boots...  Hell i shoot professionally and I have half your gear...  People get hot and bothered with any one company or individual earns a lot of money or capital... Why?  They worked their butt off to earn that...  Sue Bryce said we need to check our attitudes about money and being rich.  If we get offended about those who are rich and big profitable company, we ourselves will carry that same mentality towards money and push it away psychologically.  In the mean time I hope to use my gear to make my studio have a profitable year this year... hope you dont get offended by me.
sek Cameras: 5D III, 5D II, EOS M  Lenses:  24-70 2.8 II IS, 24-105 f4L, 70-200 f4L IS, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, EF 300 f4L IS, EF 400 5.6L, 300 2.8 IS II, Samyang 14 mm 2.8 Flashes: 580 EX II600EX-RT X 2, ST-E3-RT
Plus lots of stuff that just didn't work for me

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2013, 02:07:24 AM »
Hostile and combative rarely characterize discussions I read here these days. I do have a bias toward thinking most people are simply too sensitive. They are easily offended, and somehow they acquired the wrongheaded idea that they should go through life without anyone offending them.

We do pretty well around here for being in a world where we have no verbal cues, no body language and almost no social history with the other posters.

I agree.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

dizeaz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »
Aren't we tired of these whining posts? If it is your money Canon didn't force you to spend it.
It's your choice. You probably don't live in a weird autocratic country where they force you to buy from one brand.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 25, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 25, 2013, 03:11:42 AM »
Aren't we tired of these whining posts? If it is your money Canon didn't force you to spend it.
It's your choice. You probably don't live in a weird autocratic country where they force you to buy from one brand.

I guess I'm more tired of posts like yours who read only one line and start whining about an alleged whine (in the original post) when there was none.

Did you really care to read the posts at all? If not, go back, read and stop trolling.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

Hillsilly

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2013, 03:44:42 AM »
Anyways, after waiting for a while to see how the Eos-M system developed (or more accurately...didn't), I've been  looking around for another smaller / high image quality camera system to supplement my Canon gear and am jumping on the Fuji bandwagon.  I'm giving all my cash to Fuji for a while to see what they can do with it.  I hear they've got some very sharp currency traders and it will be interesting to see if they can make good profits with my money.  I'm hoping that if I give them enough cash, they might be keen to enter some sort of profit-share arrangement. 
Camera Obscura

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 03, 2013, 12:49:17 AM »

So much for people who were anticipating a fall in prices of Canon products due to JPY devaluation.

Weaker Yen may yet lead to reduction in the average price of Canon products.  Most likely this will not be everyday shelf price (MAP price) but average price reflecting discounts and promotional $ available to retailers.

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #40 on: May 03, 2013, 01:17:38 AM »
I could not disagree more.

In the "karma" days, people seemed inclined to respond to the silly "smite" with more of their own smites. That escalated, people assumed they knew who bad marked them and then they tended to respond with some nasty remark -- sort of a passive aggressive response to real or imagined disrespects.

I think this perspective is a little more balanced, so I disagree soundly.

I would have to agree. I think that the smiting thing really went out of hand shortly before they cancelled it! Things to me actually do seem more civil than they were. This isn't really too hostile a forum... there's one rock climbing forum I was reading, where for three pages no one did anything but call eachother junior-high insults... everything from calling each other feminine hygiene products to questioning eachother's masculinity. And, being a rock climbing forum, most of there were probably well past high school...
What is truth?

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2013, 01:35:14 AM »
i just wish they would release a camera already

the natives are getting restless :D
APS-H Fanboy

J.R.

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:24 AM »

So much for people who were anticipating a fall in prices of Canon products due to JPY devaluation.

Weaker Yen may yet lead to reduction in the average price of Canon products.  Most likely this will not be everyday shelf price (MAP price) but average price reflecting discounts and promotional $ available to retailers.

That was really the point I was trying to make. It is because Canon has revised its profit guidance upwards (due to a weaker JPY) means that it is increasingly unlikely that the USD prices will be reduced.
5D3, 6D, 600D, RX100
16-35L, 24-70L II, 70-200L II, 100-400L, 50L, 85L II, 135L, 24TSE, 40, 100 macro, 18-55 II, 55-250 II, 600RT x 4
I come here to learn something new, not to learn how bad my gear is - I know that already ;-)!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2013, 01:57:24 AM »