October 20, 2014, 07:44:33 PM

Author Topic: About a REPLACE MENT FOOT RRS LCF-52: Foot for Canon EF300mm/f2.8 IS-II  (Read 3459 times)

ZoeEnPhos

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • ©­­®¹
    • View Profile
    • ZoeEnPhos

Dear Forum contributors and wise adviser!

Not having any experience about replacement foot I am about to purchase the Canon EF300mm/f2.8 IS II USM and I am considering to right from the beginning purchase a replacement foot for the lens.
However there is a few to make the choice of.
But I am mostly into the RRS clamps and ballheads and tilt head from RRS.
So please is the RRS the best option?
1. a RRS LCF-52: Foot for Canon EF300mm/f2.8 IS-II Cost in Euro: 111.90€
Or should I instead choose one of these:
2.  A Jobu Quick Release Lens Plate Replacement Foot LF-C504M2 - Euro 99.95€
or  3. a Kirk Quick Release Lens Plate LP-59 for Canon 300mm f/2.8 IS II USM Euro  78.95€ incl. VAT

All look good but somehow I am a bit tempted to go with the Really Right Stuff LCF:52 with the weight of only 68 g!

I would very much appreciate your thoughts and advice if you have time and interest in this question about replacement feet to tele-photo-lenses.

Wishing you All the Very Best!

Charl (Sweden)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 07:45:01 AM by ZoeEnPhos »
Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun!

canon rumors FORUM

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
The Kirk foot doesn't look very comfortable to use as a handle. Basically, you can't go wrong with Really Right Stuff.  I've got the LCF-53 for my 600 II.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

ZoeEnPhos

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • ©­­®¹
    • View Profile
    • ZoeEnPhos
The Kirk foot doesn't look very comfortable to use as a handle. Basically, you can't go wrong with Really Right Stuff.  I've got the LCF-53 for my 600 II.

Dear Sir,
Thank you once again for your excellent advice!
I fully agree - if investing in the best then why also not add the best suited and best in function additional equipment to make the lens even better overall!
I always love to read your reliable and wise advice and accurate information sir!

Wishing you sir, and of course your whole family all the Very Best and in addition also many nice and happy shootings, in the nature during the coming spring- and summer seasons,
 with your excellent range of great and high quality photographic equipments!

Charl (Sweden)
Truly the light is sweet, and a pleasant thing it is for the eyes to behold the sun!

ksagomonyants

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
Wow, I hope all people in Sweden are as nice as you are  :)

Crapking

• Canon 6D
  • "Whatever you are....be a good one." AL
    • View Profile
    • Crapking Photos
I just purchased the equivalent RRS foot for the 200/2 and love it! Seems more stable, is definitely 'sleeker',  and my hand fits better between the foot/monopod clamp and the lens body. 
1Dx, 1DIV, 5D3, 7D, (Sigma 15 FE)
16-35/2.8; 24-70/2.8 II; 70-200/2.8 II, 100-400L
35/1.4, 40/2.8; 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 135/2; 200/2

DJL329

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile

Neuro,

I'm preparing to purchase the 500mm f/4 IS II.  While looking at lens feet, I remembered your earlier post regarding Canon's and Kirk's feet for the Mark II versions on the 500mm and 600mm being too far forward and wanted to know if you had seen or considered this one by Jobu Designs, as it extends behind the mounting screws on the collar?

It looks like it might be a little difficult to use it as a handle -- even with my small hands!  Probably have to put your index finger on the other side of the mount point.  I have the 5D III and I'm not planning on getting the 2x TC (I will probably replace my current 1.4x II TC), so that extra bit at the end might not be needed.

-- Dan

PS.  Before clicking Post, I finally realized that this foot is only for the 300mm and 500mm II lenses.  For the 600mm II, they have this one, which does not have the same design, so I guess you would not have considered it!   :-[  Oh, well...

Canon EOS 5D Mark III | EF 14mm f/2.8L | EF 28mm f/1.8 | EF 50mm f/1.4 | EF 85mm f/1.8 | EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro | EF 300mm f/4L IS

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
I didn't consider the Jobu foot, but it looks like it would work fine.  For my 600, I was ordering other stuff from RRS anyway, adding the foot made sense.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canon rumors FORUM

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Where are you managing to buy Really Right Stuff from in Europe Charl? (I understand you reside in Sweden currently kind sir!)

jasonsim

• EOS M2
  • Hobbyist
    • View Profile
I went with the Kirk replacement foot for the 300mm II.  It is basically the same design as the RRS with the middle part cut out of it.  Makes for a nice place to stick a finger to reassure oneself that the foot is securely in the hands.  It works very well with the RRS Lever clamps. 

http://www.kirkphoto.com/Replacement_Foot_for_Canon_300mm_f_2.8_IS_II_USM.html#

For my 600mm II I went with the RRS replacement, since it has the extension going back which helps balland the lens; especially when equipped with a 1Dx and 2x III extender.  The new telephotos are not as front heavy, so need that extra on the back end of the foot.

Best of luck with your new 300mm II, no matter what foot you get!  It is an amazing lens!
Cams: Canon 5D3, EOS M
Zooms: 16-35mm f/4L IS, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II; Primes: 22mm f/2, 40mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L IS, 135mm f/2L, 300mm f/2.8L IS II, 600mm f/4L IS II
Support: Gitzo GT4542LS/G2258, RRS BH-55, Wimberley WH-200

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Where are you managing to buy Really Right Stuff from in Europe Charl? (I understand you reside in Sweden currently kind sir!)

Dear Sir or Madam,

there are quite a few shops which import the most excellent RRS parts. I can only speak for Germany, but I have been very satisfied with an online shop called 'augenblicke-eingefangen'. It takes a while until your highly desired toys arrive, but the packaging is very good and shock-resistant.

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

charlesa

• Canon 70D
  • I shoot with my eye!
    • View Profile
    • 16 stops to Heaven
Re: About a REPLACE MENT FOOT RRS LCF-52: Foot for Canon EF300mm/f2.8 IS-II
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 04:06:28 PM »

Dear Sir or Madam,

there are quite a few shops which import the most excellent RRS parts. I can only speak for Germany, but I have been very satisfied with an online shop called 'augenblicke-eingefangen'. It takes a while until your highly desired toys arrive, but the packaging is very good and shock-resistant.

Thank you. They do not stock RRS tripods though.

RMC33

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 05:11:37 PM »

Neuro,

I'm preparing to purchase the 500mm f/4 IS II.  While looking at lens feet, I remembered your earlier post regarding Canon's and Kirk's feet for the Mark II versions on the 500mm and 600mm being too far forward and wanted to know if you had seen or considered this one by Jobu Designs, as it extends behind the mounting screws on the collar?

It looks like it might be a little difficult to use it as a handle -- even with my small hands!  Probably have to put your index finger on the other side of the mount point.  I have the 5D III and I'm not planning on getting the 2x TC (I will probably replace my current 1.4x II TC), so that extra bit at the end might not be needed.

-- Dan

PS.  Before clicking Post, I finally realized that this foot is only for the 300mm and 500mm II lenses.  For the 600mm II, they have this one, which does not have the same design, so I guess you would not have considered it!   :-[  Oh, well...

I have the RSS foot on my 500 and 400 II and 200 f/2. They make AMAZING handles to hold by, Like Neuro I keep mine mounted to my RSS Monopod with a screw style clamp and sling it over my shoulder. I carry it all day like that unless the area I am trying to get to requires 2 hands.

polarhannes

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

Dear Sir or Madam,

Thank you. They do not stock RRS tripods though.

Yes they do. See for yourself: http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/index.php?cPath=24_48_145_146&filter_id=29&language=en&translation= - The TVC-24 Versa Series 2 tripod is in stock for example.
They also sell the lens foot in question: http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=2612&skwds=lcf-52&anc=y#pic

Doesn't help the OP though, as it is a German shop. I just thought I'd mention it as we are also in Europe.
"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera." - Dorothea Lange

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 05:50:09 PM »

ZoeEnPhos

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • ©­­®¹
    • View Profile
    • ZoeEnPhos
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:33:49 AM »

Dear Sir,

Sorry for not visiting this site the past days so I missed your question - but I am glad that you already got the answer where in Europe you can purchase the Really Right Stuff,
 - yes I too buy from Germany based Internet seller:

http://www.augenblicke-eingefangen.de/

Wishing you all the Very Best!

Happy shootings!!

Charl

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »
Why on earth would you want to replace the original foot? It's perfectly fine.
Is there something I'm missing here?

-PW

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 06:25:26 AM »