November 28, 2014, 07:55:34 AM

Author Topic: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware  (Read 23497 times)

clicstudio

• EOS M2
  • {+}
    • View Profile
    • clic::studio photography
DYNAMIC RANGE
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »
The only major difference between a $300, 18 megapixel Point and Shoot and the 1DX is the sensor quality but the DR is almost the same.
For a $7000 camera, the DR should be closer to the human eye.
It makes no sense that Canon and other companies are going with huge megapixels while letting the DR stay at around 12 stops.
I read the New Nikon D8100 seems to have a DR of 15 or so.
That's the way to go in my opinion.
That's what I would like. Oh, and a 4" screen too  ::)
Canon 1D X, Canon 24-70 F2.8L II,  Canon SpeedLite 600 EX-RT, 5x Paul C. Buff Einstein Flashes with Pocket Wizard PowerMC2's, Pocket Wizard Mini-TT1, Pocket Wizard AC3.

canon rumors FORUM

DYNAMIC RANGE
« Reply #90 on: July 31, 2014, 10:15:52 AM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
Re: 1D X - 1 Thing you would Add or CHANGE? either physically or Firmware
« Reply #91 on: July 31, 2014, 04:10:38 PM »
+1 on more C# modes. And yes they could solve that on the 1Dx as it there is fully digital, so only software and not depending on a dial button with fix choices on top. The display issue could be solved as follow:
1: C1
2: C2
3: C3
4: C3+C1
5: C3+C2
6: C3+C2+C1

That seems logical to me to follow, and is a changement that just would need only a firmware modification.

Sorry, but that's not the case (as I stated above).  It's not 'fully digital' as the digits used for the Cn settings are not the variable 7-segment numerals used for exposure settings, etc.   The mode indicators in the VF are dedicated illuminated 'cut-outs' for Av, Tv, M, P, and a C with three separate numerals (1,2,3) under it. 

Similarly, the mode display on the top LCD is 'baked in' to the hardware.  Only on the main LCD (where images are displayed) could additional settings be shown, but that would obviously lead to confusion.

I do get what you're saying (1+3=4) but it won't happen.  The 1-series is all about usability, a kludge like lighting up the C and more than one of the numerals simply won't fly.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2014, 04:18:46 PM by neuroanatomist »
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

FEBS

• Canon 70D
  • Action & Sports
    • View Profile
    • François Loyens Photography
« Reply #92 on: July 31, 2014, 05:08:06 PM »
Sorry, but that's not the case (as I stated above).  It's not 'fully digital' as the digits used for the Cn settings are not the variable 7-segment numerals used for exposure settings, etc.   The mode indicators in the VF are dedicated illuminated 'cut-outs' for Av, Tv, M, P, and a C with three separate numerals (1,2,3) under it. 

Similarly, the mode display on the top LCD is 'baked in' to the hardware.  Only on the main LCD (where images are displayed) could additional settings be shown, but that would obviously lead to confusion.

I do get what you're saying (1+3=4) but it won't happen.  The 1-series is all about usability, a kludge like lighting up the C and more than one of the numerals simply won't fly.

What VF concerns I do not agree. They have a possibility out of software to illuminate them separately as it is the same C but different numericals that are fixed foreseen in the display. There might be a possibility to illuminate them together like C + 3 +1. However that is more dependent on the way the VF is controlled. A display has mostly its own controller build in. The main processor of the body will talk with the VF over a bus (like I2C). if that's the case, then I'm quite sure that the command is not available to ask the display to illuminate C+3+1 for instance. But I don't think we know how this piece of electronics is build exactly in our 1Dx.

Top LCD, as far as I know are LCD always controlled by use of an internal or separate controller, so you wright that this might be impossible to show it correct.

Backdisplay might indeed be possible as you mentioned.

I also agree that if a user sees something like C+3+2 illuminated together and he must interpret this as C5, then this seem a pretty clumsy solution for a body like 1Dx.

But I would love to see more C modes  :P. I did know your solution to save 3 modes on a separate CF but that's also a solution born out the absence of this feature of canon, and I hate to hassle around with different CFs with body settings on. but anyhow, it's the way to go right now if you need more C modes.
Camera: 1Dx, 5D3, 7D2, 7D, 300D  | Prime:14 2.8Lii, 24 1.4Lii, 50 1.4, 85 1.2Lii, 100 2.8Lmacro, 300 2.8Lii | Zoom: 16-35 4.0L, 24-105 4.0L, 70-200 2.8Lii, 200-400 1.4x 4.0L | TS-E 24 3.5Lii | Other: 1.4xIII, 2.0xIII, 2x YN568, 6x YN560iii,  YN622TX, 6x YN622, 2x YN560TX, 6x YN603, CamRanger, ...

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 31, 2014, 06:49:44 PM »
I also agree that if a user sees something like C+3+2 illuminated together and he must interpret this as C5, then this seem a pretty clumsy solution for a body like 1Dx.

But I would love to see more C modes

Exactly - if Canon is going to implement more than three customers, they will want a specific display by number for each of them.  It's worth noting that the 1D X is the first 1-series body to offer C# modes.

Absolutely agree that more would be better…
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

canonvoir

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »
Deeper grip for both orientations.

A second My Menu for additional items.

AF points moved toward the perimeter.

Lose weight.
1DX | 5Diii
300mm ii IS 2.8 | 70-200mm ii IS 2.8 | 24-70mm 2.8 | 16-35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.2 | 50mm 1.2, etc.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #94 on: November 25, 2014, 09:39:16 PM »