July 30, 2014, 02:00:36 AM

Author Topic: What external 'scratch' disk setup do you use/recommend?  (Read 4099 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
Re: What external 'scratch' disk setup do you use/recommend?
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »
I have a 12TB NAS but its not the way to go for editing directly from it.  Even with two 1 GB network cables in parallel, its slow for editing.   I won't even edit still directly from it unless its urgent.
Its great for storing files and backups, which is what I use it for.

What do you recommend for working from them, that is external to the computer (in my case a laptop)?

TIA,

cayenne

It sounds like using a thunderbolt drive and daisy chaining it to your monitor is preferred.  Thunderbolt can make any disk faster, but with a SSD, it will be really fast.  USB3 is fast as well, but I believe that you don't have it.
Firewire 800 might be a choice, but its kind of a dead end with Thunderbolt taking over.
The limiting factor is USB2.  GB Network is faster, I can occasionally get 110MB/sec pc to pc over mine with SSD's in both computers, ther issue is thats its not always that fast dependinng on file type.  Installing a SSD in my computer gives me close to 500MB/sec with a SATA 3 port.  You should get that speed with a Thunderbolt external SSD.

I use a Qnap NAS with six 2TB disks and Raid 5.  Speed depends greatly on file type, large uncompressed files are very fast, while compressed files are much slower. 

If you can afford it, get a Thunderbolt Drive and Daisy Chain.  Make sure you can return it if it doesn't work with your laptop.

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Thunderbolt-Desktop-External-STCB3000400/dp/B009HPGBNY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1366912959&sr=8-4&keywords=Thunderbolt+hard+drive

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2013, 02:04:19 PM »

dolina

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2013, 02:51:11 PM »
SSD may make a better external scratch disk.
Visit my Flickr, Facebook & 500px and see my photos. :)

viggen61

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2013, 03:07:57 PM »
For your MBP, Thunderbolt is the way to go. No, you can't daisy-chain from your monitor, but if you select the right bits, you can have the monitor at the end of the chain.

There are several Thunderbolt Hubs (plug that into Google, and look at this:http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/caldigit-thunderbolt-station-adds-to-growing-ranks-of-thunderbolt-docks/) out there these days. Belkin, Matrox, CalDigit and a few others. Some have many different ports, others are one-trick ponies.

I have a Retina MBP, so I have two TB ports, and USB3. For external storage, I went with LaCie Thunderbolt to ESATA hubs ($180-$200 plus cables. I got my last as a refurb from LaCie for $99.) These connect to your TB bus, and you can connect two external drives via ESATA. I chose this mainly because I already had drives with ESATA (I was using the FW800 ports on them previously). They also have two TB ports, so I now have one TB-ESATA daisy-chained off another TB-ESATA. I could still plug in my external monitor with a MDP-DVI adapter, or another TB device.

Now I didn't really need extra USB3 ports (I use a Belkin hub for those), but many of the TB hubs will have some combination of FW800, Ethernet, USB3, USB2, MDP, ESATA, etc. You'll need to shop around for the one that you like best. One added bonus, is if you take the MBP places, you only have to disconect one TB cable!

I have to say that in addition to a much faster MBP (quad i7/16GB/512GB), the drive I/O speed has dramatically improved by putting everything on either USB3 or ESATA. Dumping 1000+ RAWs, with rename and back up, from a 32GB card is very quick with the Hoodman USB3 reader and UDMA7 CF cards. Oh, and my only solid-state storage is in the MBP with just the system and apps. Everything else is on spinning platters...
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 03:09:50 PM by viggen61 »
Canon 7D

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 02:19:40 PM »
For your MBP, Thunderbolt is the way to go. No, you can't daisy-chain from your monitor, but if you select the right bits, you can have the monitor at the end of the chain.

There are several Thunderbolt Hubs (plug that into Google, and look at this:http://www.macrumors.com/2013/04/09/caldigit-thunderbolt-station-adds-to-growing-ranks-of-thunderbolt-docks/) out there these days. Belkin, Matrox, CalDigit and a few others. Some have many different ports, others are one-trick ponies.

I have a Retina MBP, so I have two TB ports, and USB3. For external storage, I went with LaCie Thunderbolt to ESATA hubs ($180-$200 plus cables. I got my last as a refurb from LaCie for $99.) These connect to your TB bus, and you can connect two external drives via ESATA. I chose this mainly because I already had drives with ESATA (I was using the FW800 ports on them previously). They also have two TB ports, so I now have one TB-ESATA daisy-chained off another TB-ESATA. I could still plug in my external monitor with a MDP-DVI adapter, or another TB device.

Now I didn't really need extra USB3 ports (I use a Belkin hub for those), but many of the TB hubs will have some combination of FW800, Ethernet, USB3, USB2, MDP, ESATA, etc. You'll need to shop around for the one that you like best. One added bonus, is if you take the MBP places, you only have to disconect one TB cable!

I have to say that in addition to a much faster MBP (quad i7/16GB/512GB), the drive I/O speed has dramatically improved by putting everything on either USB3 or ESATA. Dumping 1000+ RAWs, with rename and back up, from a 32GB card is very quick with the Hoodman USB3 reader and UDMA7 CF cards. Oh, and my only solid-state storage is in the MBP with just the system and apps. Everything else is on spinning platters...

Hmm...very interesting. A question bout your drives...are these single, external drives in enclosures you're talking about? Just trying to get a picture of what exactly you're plugging into the thunderbolt hub.

Thanks!

C

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »

Hmm...very interesting. A question bout your drives...are these single, external drives in enclosures you're talking about? Just trying to get a picture of what exactly you're plugging into the thunderbolt hub.

Thanks!

C

Although I looked at the LaCie Hub at first, careful reading reveals that its e-SATA ports are SATA2, not SATA3.  That makes a huge difference in speed with a modern hard drive.

If you get a hub, make sure it supports TB Drives, or SATA3.  I would only purchase SATA 3 drives as well.  I just finished upgrading all of mine to SATA 3 and they are up to twice as fast with my SSD reading 559 and writing at 492 MB/sec.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:29 PM »