October 22, 2014, 07:22:10 PM

Author Topic: Screw-on ND filter for 16-35 II  (Read 5833 times)

pedro

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
Re: Screw-on ND filter for 16-35 II
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 02:14:27 AM »
I have been impressed enough with Haida's new Pro MC II filters in 77mm that I recently purchase one for my Tamron in 82mm.  I have both a ND1000 (10 stop) and ND64 (6 stop).  The filter ring is very, very slim and produces very little vignetting.

@Dustin: Thanks for sharing! Just ordered an ND 1000 (10 stop), 82mm, from Germany. Cost: about 57 Euros. A bargain compared with other labels...for example B+W. That was just the "icing on the cake" for my excellent 16-35 F/2.8 USM II which I recently bought used at a retail store for CHF 998.00 instead of CHF 1698 new or CHF 1400 online. Cheers, Peter.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 02:19:48 AM by pedro »
30D, EF-S 10-22/ 5DIII, 16-35 F/2.8 L USM II, 28 F/2.8, 50 F/1.4, 85 F/1.8, 70-200 F/2.8 classic,
join me at http://www.flickr.com/groups/insane_isos/

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 02:14:27 AM »

ksuweh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 09:40:25 AM »
Maybe a little off the subject, but I just don't get how someone can spend so much money on a Canon L lens like the 16-35 II & then buy the cheapest filter they can find to put on the lens! I mean I like a great deal just as much as the nest guy, but at what cost to the IQ. The whole point of spending the extra money & buying an L is for the superior IQ. Why wouldn't you do the same & spend the extra on the filter that you put in front of that expensive L glass??? It makes no sense to me.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 08:00:15 PM »
Maybe a little off the subject, but I just don't get how someone can spend so much money on a Canon L lens like the 16-35 II & then buy the cheapest filter they can find to put on the lens! I mean I like a great deal just as much as the nest guy, but at what cost to the IQ. The whole point of spending the extra money & buying an L is for the superior IQ. Why wouldn't you do the same & spend the extra on the filter that you put in front of that expensive L glass??? It makes no sense to me.

A valid point, but as a person who normally uses good quality (I typically use the higher levels of Hoya filters - Pro1D or equivalent), I can certainly attest to the fact that the advantages over premium filters (beyond the better Hoya level) are going to be imperceptible to almost every eye.  Just because a more expensive product exists doesn't mean that I blindly buy it.  In the case of the Haida, I did the research, looked at a lot of pictures taken with it, then took a flyer on it.  I had a great experience with the first, enough so that I bought a second in another filter size that I have been equally pleased with.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Haida is actually using the same glass manufacturer as B+W.  Because of that, I have not problem recommending them to someone else.

BTW, I tried a circular polarizer filter from Haida when I switched to an 82mm filter size.  Didn't like it at all - not because of the optics, but because I found the rotating ring very stiff and virtually unusable in the field.  The seller replaced it with a second copy, but I wasn't crazy about it, either. I ended up spending the money on a Hoya Pro-1D filter which I'm perfectly happy with.  I certainly won't recommend that Haida CP to someone, but the ND filters I've had great success with.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

ksuweh

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 01:07:47 PM »

A valid point, but as a person who normally uses good quality (I typically use the higher levels of Hoya filters - Pro1D or equivalent), I can certainly attest to the fact that the advantages over premium filters (beyond the better Hoya level) are going to be imperceptible to almost every eye.  Just because a more expensive product exists doesn't mean that I blindly buy it.  In the case of the Haida, I did the research, looked at a lot of pictures taken with it, then took a flyer on it.  I had a great experience with the first, enough so that I bought a second in another filter size that I have been equally pleased with.  In fact, if I'm not mistaken, I think Haida is actually using the same glass manufacturer as B+W.  Because of that, I have not problem recommending them to someone else.

BTW, I tried a circular polarizer filter from Haida when I switched to an 82mm filter size.  Didn't like it at all - not because of the optics, but because I found the rotating ring very stiff and virtually unusable in the field.  The seller replaced it with a second copy, but I wasn't crazy about it, either. I ended up spending the money on a Hoya Pro-1D filter which I'm perfectly happy with.  I certainly won't recommend that Haida CP to someone, but the ND filters I've had great success with.

I would rather spend a few extra dollars for a B&W then buy from a company that the workmanship is hit or miss, just like you described with your Haida filters. Buy it once & you don't have the hassle or expense of returning it & getting something to replace it. I'd rather not waste my time or money like that. My original comment was directed at the optics, but overall craftsmanship & quality is very important as well to me. I want the products I buy to last & don't want to have to return the item or replace it in a few years down the road.
5D Mk III, 16-35 f/2.8L II, 24-105 f/4L IS, 35 f/1.4L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, (2x) Speedlite 600EX-RT, ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

alumahrivkah

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2013, 12:40:47 PM »
Here's a few examples of long time exposures with the B+W .

_K8A0116 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0245 by barrfly1, on Flickr

_MG_0216 by barrfly1, on Flickr

The last photo has the color cast intact , it's not terrible .
If you do decide to go with the screw on filter, don't forget to purchase some stop-down rings so you can use it on other lenses !

How are you getting these shots with no vignetting?  I have the B+W 10.0 and got terrible vignetting?  Am I missing some special setting or something?  Thanks!

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2013, 02:35:17 PM »
I don't have any vignetting problems with my B+W 10-stop filters... No problems with the 82mm filter on my 24-70 or 16-35 lenses, or the 77mm filter with my 24-105 lens & a full frame 5d3... Now I do have big-time issues with the color cast of the B+W's! Color correcting the indego-blue of my Lee Big Stopper is a breeze compared to dealing with the peculiar orangey-magentaish brown tint of the B+W's, and they're not cheap filters! I may have to look into the Haida filters for when I don't want to hassle with the whole Lee filter kit...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 02:51:46 PM by JustMeOregon »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »
@ Dustin

I would love to find a screw-in 10-stop ND filter who's color cast is easy to deal with! Those Haida filters of yours look very interesting... A quick Google of "Haida filters" found me this site where the reviewer does what appears to be a very careful & thorough comparison of the Haida filters with the B+W's: http://text.flowtographyberlin.de/neutral-density-filters-are-haida-nd-filters-as-good-as-bw/2/ Are your observations regarding the Haida filters similar to his? Particularly with regards to the color cast? His sample images comparing the color casts of the B+W's, the Haida Pro II MC (multi-coated), and the Haida non-coated are particularly interesting. In item #7 of the review, he points out that the color cast of the multi-coated Haida filters are quite similar to that of the B+W's. He appears to show that it is only the non-coated Haidas which exhibit a "slightly cool cast to it which is rather neutral and easy to fix." Has this been your experience also?

Lastly, where in the world do you buy the Haidas? A quick check with the usual suspects came up empty...
« Last Edit: November 30, 2013, 03:26:38 PM by JustMeOregon »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2013, 03:24:28 PM »

JustMeOregon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2013, 04:36:44 PM »
OOP! Just realized that this thread is more that 6 months old... I'll figure out how to read one day...

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2013, 08:36:54 AM »
@ Dustin

I would love to find a screw-in 10-stop ND filter who's color cast is easy to deal with! Those Haida filters of yours look very interesting... A quick Google of "Haida filters" found me this site where the reviewer does what appears to be a very careful & thorough comparison of the Haida filters with the B+W's: http://text.flowtographyberlin.de/neutral-density-filters-are-haida-nd-filters-as-good-as-bw/2/ Are your observations regarding the Haida filters similar to his? Particularly with regards to the color cast? His sample images comparing the color casts of the B+W's, the Haida Pro II MC (multi-coated), and the Haida non-coated are particularly interesting. In item #7 of the review, he points out that the color cast of the multi-coated Haida filters are quite similar to that of the B+W's. He appears to show that it is only the non-coated Haidas which exhibit a "slightly cool cast to it which is rather neutral and easy to fix." Has this been your experience also?

Lastly, where in the world do you buy the Haidas? A quick check with the usual suspects came up empty...

My experience is that the ND64x has no color cast at all, the ND1000 has only a very, very faint cast.  I'm quite happy with the filters.  I've purchased mine off Ebay from a "retailer" in Europe.
6D x 2 | EOS-M w/22mm f/2 + 18-55 STM + EF Adapter| Rokinon 14mm f/2.8 | Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC | 35mm f/2 IS | 40mm f/2.8 | 100L | 135L | 70-300L -----OLD SCHOOL----- SMC Takumar 28mm f/3.5, Super Takumar 35mm f/3.5, SMC Takumar 55mm f/1.8, Helios 44-2 and 44-4, Super Takumar 150mm f/4

davidrf

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2013, 01:38:05 PM »
I'm about to buy a ND filter for Tamron 24-70 and Canon 16-35 L II and I still have to decide between Haida ND Neutro Pro II MC ND1000 and HOYA 82mm HMC Neutral Density ND400 Filter.

Normally I'd prefer to buy Hoya, but the vignetting at 16mm worries me. From the pics is clear that the Haida is much slimmer than the Hoya, and so it should give less vignetting.

Any help? Thaks
Ekam Sat

Canon 6D - Canon 16-35 L II - Canon 70-200 f/4 IS L - Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 - Samyang 14 f/2.8

TWI by Dustin Abbott

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • dustinabbott.net
« Reply #25 on: December 09, 2013, 08:13:31 PM »
I'm about to buy a ND filter for Tamron 24-70 and Canon 16-35 L II and I still have to decide between Haida ND Neutro Pro II MC ND1000 and HOYA 82mm HMC Neutral Density ND400 Filter.

Normally I'd prefer to buy Hoya, but the vignetting at 16mm worries me. From the pics is clear that the Haida is much slimmer than the Hoya, and so it should give less vignetting.

Any help? Thaks

Don't have any experience with the latter, but I can attest that the Haida is very, very slim and has worked well for me.

THX723

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »
I don't have any vignetting problems with my B+W 10-stop filters... No problems with the 82mm filter on my 24-70 or 16-35 lenses, or the 77mm filter with my 24-105 lens & a full frame 5d3... Now I do have big-time issues with the color cast of the B+W's! Color correcting the indego-blue of my Lee Big Stopper is a breeze compared to dealing with the peculiar orangey-magentaish brown tint of the B+W's, and they're not cheap filters! I may have to look into the Haida filters for when I don't want to hassle with the whole Lee filter kit...

@ Dustin

Agreed. It was due to the quirky color cast that I prefer Hoya over B+W, when it comes to circular ND filters. For everything else other than ND filters, I do in fact prefer B+W.

Here's a shameless plug of my search for the elusive Hoya ND X400 in 82mm a year ago ...
http://www.canonrumors.com/forum/index.php/topic,11564.msg206728.html#msg206728

A year later, I've given up the quest for the above ND X400 filter. Alas I did eventually find some, but they were incredibly expensive (price gouging?); not worth it.

But wait, there's better news ... Hoya has just launched a whole new line of ND filters -- The PRO-ND series with no color cast!?! (I would love to verify this myself) 8)

Even better that it comes in 82mm (Hooray for 16-35 II & 24-70 II peeps!), up to 10 stops (previously 9 for ND X series), and reasonably priced. It's win, win, win. The search is over folks!

http://www.hoyafilter.com/news/press/N0000026/

B&H has them in stock btw. :)
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 05:36:28 PM by THX723 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 05:19:00 PM »