November 23, 2014, 11:06:35 PM

Author Topic: Need advice, what can I do to improve?  (Read 4556 times)

JRS

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Need advice, what can I do to improve?
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »
First time using reflectors and flash off the camera...

what do you think? what can I do to improve my pictures?

Thanks!
Canon 5D3 | 24-105L | 17-40L | 70-300L | 135L | TS-E 24L II | 50 1.4 | 15 2.8 Fisheye | 270EXII | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-E3-RT

canon rumors FORUM

Need advice, what can I do to improve?
« on: April 25, 2013, 03:22:44 PM »

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
Re: Need advice, what can I do to improve?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »
Look fine to me. Try to encourage your model take note of where the light is coming from and to use it to light her. A couple of them also have a bit too much space above her, causing her to appear a little lost in the image. A simple crop will do the trick nicely.

Just keep going, you're doing great.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

privatebydesign

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Ermintrude says "moo"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2013, 04:12:10 PM »
Superb for a first try.

The one thing that jumps out at me is you are to low, images of women generally look much more appealing if you are looking down on them to a degree, not always, but in this instance I think it would have helped a lot. Other than that, watch the shadow of the glasses rim on her face, but they are very good.
Never look down on anybody, unless you are helping them up.

dstppy

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2013, 04:30:37 PM »
She's staring at the camera in all of them.  I prefer candids and the fourth wall is very important to me.

If you're going to do that, you're going to need her to convey some emotion . . .

Shoot raw (if you're not already).

Bump the shadows and take down the highlights (especially #7)
Canon Rumors is presently creating photographer shortages in Middle Earth (all the trolls emigrated here)

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »
I'll put in another looks pretty good. I'd say you used your reflector(s) well, although I think the other 2 posters have some good comments. While the model is pretty, there's just something in the composition, or the way she's holding herself, or something so that the images generally aren't grabbing me, even though they otherwise are reasonably good. Sorry I can't zero in on it a bit more for you.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

2n10

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2013, 04:54:09 PM »
They look good for a first time.  You have received some great suggestions to use.
Canon EOS 7D, EF-S 10-22, EF-S 17-55, EF 100 Macro, EF 50 1.4, EF 70-300, EF 100-400L

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »
Was the off camera flash below the model? I think since these seem to be going for a natural look you need to balance the ambient light with the off camera flash and the reflector better- Ie: A lot of the shadows on her face (especially shadows cast by nose) are going UP! This just looks odd and isn't flattering on an otherwise beautiful face.

I'd suggest raising the light source higher so the shadows fall more naturally.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 05:30:20 PM by pdirestajr »
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2013, 05:25:28 PM »

Menace

• 1D X
  • New Zealand
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2013, 05:31:10 PM »
Well done for your first attempt :)
1Dx | 5D III
85 1.2L II | 100 2.8 | 400 2.8L IS II 
24-70 2.8L II | 70-200 2.8L IS II

Drizzt321

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Aaron Baff Photography
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 07:00:53 PM »
Was the off camera flash below the model? I think since these seem to be going for a natural look you need to balance the ambient light with the off camera flash and the reflector better- Ie: A lot of the shadows on her face (especially shadows cast by nose) are going UP! This just looks odd and isn't flattering on an otherwise beautiful face.

OP was using a reflector, not a flash. Although you're point about being careful about the shadows on the face is a good one, and just as relevant with any lighting setup.
5D mark 2, 5D mark 3, EF 17-40mm f/4L,  EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM, EF 135mm f/2L, EF 85mm f/1.8
Film Cameras: Mamiya RB67, RB-50, RB-180-C, RB-90-C, RB-50, Perkeo I folder, Mamiya Six Folder (Pre-WWII model)
http://www.aaronbaff.com

verysimplejason

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Account
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2013, 07:28:55 PM »
Just a novice opinion, you may want to experiment on different angles.  Maybe one shot from the top of the head or from below, sideways, back, sitting pose or doing some actions like walking, jumping, or anything to make it look more dynamic.  You can also think of including something of interest in the background (not just bokeh) though you must make sure that it doesn't overpower the main subject.  You can also shoot at a different time of the day, probably noon or night or early morning.  This will give different lighting/mood to your subject.  Try also having some backlight (maybe a flash or the sun).  Just be extra careful in your exposure.  You can also experiment on flares.  Flares caused by the sun sometimes has a distinct effect on your subject.   

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2013, 09:23:07 PM »

OP was using a reflector, not a flash. Although you're point about being careful about the shadows on the face is a good one, and just as relevant with any lighting setup.

But the thread starts off saying: "First time using reflectors and flash off the camera..." ;)
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

JRS

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Canon 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2013, 09:43:48 AM »
thanks for all advices, I greatly appreciate!

I used two 42" reflectors for some shoots and a flash with shoot-through white umbrella for others..

I need to improve my composition now, it was more a "lightning experiment" as it was my first attempt.

Thank you again!  :)
Canon 5D3 | 24-105L | 17-40L | 70-300L | 135L | TS-E 24L II | 50 1.4 | 15 2.8 Fisheye | 270EXII | 600EX-RT (x2) | ST-E3-RT

robbymack

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »
3 and 7 seem to me to be your strongest images. I'd have ditched the glasses entirely, they aren't really flattering to the model.  shooting with flash and glasses can be tricky trying to keep the reflection of the light source out of the photos. I think you did a reasonable job there. All in all I'd say you did pretty good. My only advice is when using flash outdoors I find it best to accentuate/fill the natural light rather than try to overpower it especially shooting in the golden hour like it seems you did. Now if this was mid day then maybe it's time to overpower the sun and create your own interesting light. Good luck and keep having fun with it.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2013, 10:22:27 AM »

sanj

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2013, 10:59:53 AM »
Well done. Keep at it.

Harry Muff

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr:
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »
I would say 7 is the weakest image. It's a picture of a tree with a girl in the corner. Always pay attention to the background and any other distracting things in the frame.
Some cameras… With Canon written on them. Oh, and some lenses… Also with Canon written on them. Oh, and a shiny camera with Fuji written on it too...

Feel free to have a wander round my flickr

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2013, 01:49:46 PM »