October 21, 2014, 02:00:30 AM

Author Topic: Speedlite Remote Trigger Question  (Read 4697 times)

Canon-F1

Re: Speedlite Remote Trigger Question
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:13 AM »
I would also look into getting a few YN-560 IIIs in the future instead of a 430 ex II. They're cheap, manual units only but trust me manual is the way to go. You can still use your 580 for your ETTL needs. The YN-560 III has a built in radio receiver too and they work as optical slaves too (something the 430s lack). Also the buttons are nice and big which makes changing the power or zoom head a breeze. The 430 requires some fiddling about with thumbnails.

but can you adjust them with the YN-622C over radio?

if not... they are not the best for wireless flash if you want to control you flash units from the camera.

for example you can´t control the YN-560-II from your camera menu with the YN-622C.
so you have to walk to the flash units every time you make an adjustment.
the YN 560-II has only on hot shoe pin so there is no path for that info.

i think to make the wireless adjustments work (via YN-622C), the flash has to support ETTL... even when you choose to use the flash in manual mode. or at least it has to have the hot shoe PINS used for ETTL.

so correct me if im wrong but the radio in the YN560-III only works with the RF-602 and RF-603 units. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 08:57:54 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2013, 08:00:13 AM »

Skirball

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 12:09:39 PM »
I find off camera ETTL to be unrelaible. How does the camera know where you've put the flash? It just thinks its parked on top of the camera so the power output will be wrong. Sure, you can use FEC but then that depends where you meter from and can lead to inconsistent light from shot to shot (not to mention you learn nothing from it). I mean how often in flash photography do you only take one or two shots??

You obviously must not of used remote flash photography outside of a tiny studio with controlled lighting. Try a dark reception venue with a dance floor and walking around the entire room taking photos at different angles, locations and subjects. I often only take one shot at a time and the wireless ETTL triggers nail it every time. Just because you don't get more creative and adaptable with your off camera lighting doesn't mean that others don't.

I've shot in a nightclub before and yes I have used ETTL in that situation. I was trying to get the OP too understand the difference between manual and auto. Thanks for the dig at me. Very constructive.

To be fair, you weren't really discussing the differences between manual and eTTL; it was more like highlighting the shortcomings of eTTL.  In the first paragraph you completely dismissed eTTL as being worthless.

hamada

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 12:22:46 PM »
To be fair, you weren't really discussing the differences between manual and eTTL; it was more like highlighting the shortcomings of eTTL.  In the first paragraph you completely dismissed eTTL as being worthless.

yeah and only a troll or someone unable to use ETTL would do that. :)

have a look at joe mcnallys work.
he uses TTL on nikon.. and it´s not that much (if any) better then canons.

Zv

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Zeeography (flickr)
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 11:54:08 PM »

Did i say it was worthless? I said unreliable for consistency in power output for multiple shots when the flash is off camera, especially as you change composition. I didn't say it doesn't work.

I will rephrase it though - ETTL for dynamic situations and where subject to light distance is constanly changing and manual for a fixed position.

You guys really need to chill and not pounce on the first thing you happen to disagree upon.

Not everyone is a Joe Mcnally. We all make mistakes.
5D II | 17-40L | 24-105L | 70-200 f4L IS | 135L | SY 14 2.8 | Sigma 50 1.4

EOS M | 11-22 IS STM | 22 STM | FD 50 1.4

pgsdeepak

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 12:15:06 AM »
Thanks for advices. I guess, I will get a pair of the YN622C first. I see Amazon sells it in single pack as well. so when (if) I get my second flash unit, I would buy one more. Speaking of 2nd flash unit, even though its a long way out for me to consider buying one, I guess I can use some advice and be prepared :). I had my mind set on 430ExII (used one if possible). But I saw some sites (and a couple of posts in canonrumors) recommending Youngnou 568 or 565 units. which one would be better with a third 622C?
Also can we adjust the flash (more than one flash units) from the camera menu, if we use the wireless triggers
-pgsdeepak-
5D Mark III, 40D, 24-105L, 17-40 L, 100mm Macro, 70-300mm L IS USM

K3nt

• Canon 70D
  • "No good photo goes unnoticed!"
    • View Profile
    • Flickr
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 01:27:11 AM »
I use the YN-622C with my 430EX II and Nissin Di866 MkII and I am able to change any and all settings that the camera normally offers as well. Can even use 2nd curtain and High-Speed Sync over the radio. Good stuff for the price, albeit a little clunky them transceivers.
Flickr

Canon EOS 7D * 10-22mm EF-S * 50mm f/1.4 * 70-20mm f/2.8L IS USM MkII * Nissin 866Di MkII * 430EXII + accessories

Canon-F1

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:19:27 AM »
Also can we adjust the flash (more than one flash units) from the camera menu, if we use the wireless triggers

as i wrote about above.. yes you can.
with the right flash units.

with the youngnou 568EX or 565EX it will work.
good is the YN-568EX, as you would have HSS support.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 04:21:49 AM by Canon-F1 »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 04:19:27 AM »

Chewngum

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • F1.6 is the best.
    • View Profile
    • Peter Kingsley Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »

Did i say it was worthless? I said unreliable for consistency in power output for multiple shots when the flash is off camera, especially as you change composition. I didn't say it doesn't work.

I will rephrase it though - ETTL for dynamic situations and where subject to light distance is constanly changing and manual for a fixed position.

You guys really need to chill and not pounce on the first thing you happen to disagree upon.

Not everyone is a Joe Mcnally. We all make mistakes.

You didnt rephrase it, you tried  to change your point, and its still wrong. If you practice with ETTL then you will have to work less in dynamic situations than using manual in controlled situations.
Cameras: 5d2, 5d3
Lenses: 17-40L 24-105L 50L 100L s35A s85 70-200L IS II + lots of flashes. About 100 previous bodies/lenses

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 10:12:53 AM »