October 21, 2014, 11:31:35 AM

Author Topic: Lost a 5DIII. Deciding how to replace. Big Value = Bad Idea?  (Read 10574 times)

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: Lost a 5DIII. Deciding how to replace. Big Value = Bad Idea?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »
DigitalRev offers their own 1 year warranty on all their Canon products, so in the event that you purchase a defective Canon camera and Canon refuses to service it under warranty, DigitalRev will cover the cost of repair or replacement. I forgot where I read this but it's somewhere on the DigitalRev site and I believe it to be true.

What happened in that story above was a DigitalRev employee took one of the DRTV 5D3s and shipped it as new in order to improve his performance rating (they were out of stock and he would have had to cancel the order otherwise, negatively affecting his rating).

That was an isolated incident and DigitalRev has taken appropriate action against the employee and compensated the blogger who wrote the story. Additionally, they hired an internal auditor just to ensure that something like this would never happen again.

The whole incident showed that despite the bad employee, DigitalRev was really on top of their customer service. I would definitely buy from them!
It still doesn't change my opinion...  there are many other reputable dealers out there who have never had this kind of problem.  If DigitalRev was careless enough to allow this to happen, what else are they doing that is suspect?  Bottom line, why take a gamble on such an expensive purchase?  That's my $0.02 anyway...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:07:17 PM by jabbott »

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 07:05:42 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 07:13:30 PM »
there are many other reputable dealers out there who have never had this kind of problem. 

Can you name even one??

tatsu

• Power Shot G7X
  • Eat, drink, dance and get photographic evidence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 02:03:14 PM »
I think I've decided to go with a 6D.  I mainly used centerpoint AF anyways, so my understanding is that if that's the case, I'm not losing out on any AF performance.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  Also the youtube video of Chuck Westfall showing off the wi-fi app sealed the deal for me. 

Given the lower price, I might just go with BigValue and not worry about the warranty as much.  If it was the 5DIII, I'd probably care more since the ratio of repair cost to replacement value would be higher.  Not sure if that logic makes sense, but it saves another $250 over Amazon, which seems like at least one paid warranty repair.
6D, 50 f1.4, 85 f1.8, 100L f2.8 IS, 40 f2.8, Sig 35 f1.4

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 03:19:08 PM »
DigitalRev offers their own 1 year warranty on all their Canon products, so in the event that you purchase a defective Canon camera and Canon refuses to service it under warranty, DigitalRev will cover the cost of repair or replacement. I forgot where I read this but it's somewhere on the DigitalRev site and I believe it to be true.

What happened in that story above was a DigitalRev employee took one of the DRTV 5D3s and shipped it as new in order to improve his performance rating (they were out of stock and he would have had to cancel the order otherwise, negatively affecting his rating).

That was an isolated incident and DigitalRev has taken appropriate action against the employee and compensated the blogger who wrote the story. Additionally, they hired an internal auditor just to ensure that something like this would never happen again.

The whole incident showed that despite the bad employee, DigitalRev was really on top of their customer service. I would definitely buy from them!

good post

PilotJoe

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • Joe Matthews Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 04:10:40 PM »
A few months ago i purchases my 24-70 2.8L II and when it showed up it would now zoom. The zoom ring would move most of the way but it wasnt actually zooming.

Called Big Value sent it back that day and had my new lens 4 days later. So they seem pretty good to me.
Tho this doesnt talk much about their repair service.
5D III w/grip, 24-70L 2.8 II, 50L 1.2, 100L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II

Deals Wiz

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 04:53:03 PM »
I think I've decided to go with a 6D.  I mainly used centerpoint AF anyways, so my understanding is that if that's the case, I'm not losing out on any AF performance.  Please correct me if I'm mistaken.  Also the youtube video of Chuck Westfall showing off the wi-fi app sealed the deal for me. 

Given the lower price, I might just go with BigValue and not worry about the warranty as much.  If it was the 5DIII, I'd probably care more since the ratio of repair cost to replacement value would be higher.  Not sure if that logic makes sense, but it saves another $250 over Amazon, which seems like at least one paid warranty repair.

Try "The Imaging World" they are an authorized dealer for the 6D and only $10 more than BigValue.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »
there are many other reputable dealers out there who have never had this kind of problem. 

Can you name even one??
I can't prove a negative.  That said, I don't recall ever seeing news articles about other dealers (B&H, Adorama, Beach Camera, Amazon, etc.) who had an employee caught selling a used camera as new.  Not only was DigitalRev selling a used camera as new, it was used in the rain by their reviewer.  He also put his hand down his pants down while handling the camera.  That is disgusting in my opinion.  You are free to shop there all you want... however I will not.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 05:54:48 PM »

Rienzphotoz

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Peace unto all ye Canon, Nikon & Sony shooters
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2013, 08:42:07 AM »
You are free to shop there all you want... however I will not.
thank you for giving us your permission ::) ... I did buy two products from Ditigtalrev and I received brand new perfect products without any problem ... their warranty also includes them paying for any repairs in my country should something go wrong or they will pay for shipping charges to send the product back to Hongkong.
however I will not.
OK ::)
Canon 5DMK3 70D | Nikon D610 | Sony a7 a6000 | RX100M3 | 16-35/2.8LII | 70-200/2.8LISII | 100/2.8LIS | 100-400LIS | 40/2.8 | 50/1.4 | 85/1.8 | 600EX-RTx2 | ST-E3-RT | 24/3.5 T-S | 10-18/4 OSS 16-50 | 24-70/4OSS | 55/1.8 | 55-210 OSS | 70-200/4 OSS | 28-300VR | HVL-F43M | GoPro Black 3+ & DJI Phantom

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2013, 09:34:11 AM »
thank you for giving us your permission ::)
I was referring to Mt. Spokane...  relax people!   ;D

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2013, 09:48:47 AM »
I bought my 5D3 for 2499$ from BVI. It took 2 weeks to ship, but patience paid off as it was brand new in the box.

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 28, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
Is the difference is price worth the risk to warranty, etc. I have never had a camera sent in for warranty repair, but that does not mean it does not happen.

Will you kick yourself if you get caught up in warranty wars?

RLPhoto

• Gear doesn't matter, Just a Matter of Convenience.
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #26 on: April 28, 2013, 10:33:43 AM »
Is the difference is price worth the risk to warranty, etc. I have never had a camera sent in for warranty repair, but that does not mean it does not happen.

Will you kick yourself if you get caught up in warranty wars?

Not really. At that price, I could stab the sensor and still get a CPS repair cheaper than buying "officially". Plus I'm sure I could get canon to back their product over the phone, as I've done before.

I love canon services, they're second to none.

DB DIGITAL MEDIA

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »
Slightly off topic but related, has anyone dealt with Get It Digital?  They're eBay store claims canon USA warranty...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 10:37:57 AM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 01:02:05 PM »
Slightly off topic but related, has anyone dealt with Get It Digital?  They're eBay store claims canon USA warranty...
I see they have it in stock again, so that's a option if they are a authorized seller.

Having a Canon USA Warranty card in the box does not mean they are a authorized reseller.

Sometimes companies list items on ebay under a different name than their official company name, so its best to ask them if they are authorized, and why they are not on the Canon reseller list.

http://www.usa.canon.com/app/pdf/dealer/CanonAuthorizedDealers.pdf

They are NOT on Canon's list, and do not have the "Authorized Canon Dealer" Logo.

jdramirez

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »
It can be argued though that you can buy a body at ebay and then get a square trade warranty and after all is said and done, you are still paying less than if you had bought if from an authorized dealer, and you are getting more years of coverage.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 05:27:13 PM »