April 18, 2014, 10:07:50 AM

Author Topic: The Future of EOS M [CR1]  (Read 18409 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: The Future of EOS M [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »
But the problems folk have found aren't necessarily problems for me.

I have my 7D for the fast stuff.  Even with a shorty forty my 600D wouldn't fit in my pocket.  And the reviews I've seen all rate the M quite highly for video.  Which is very useful for me. And the price is getting very right.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 08:51:39 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2013, 08:55:59 AM »
But the problems folk have found aren't necessarily problems for me.

I have my 7D for the fast stuff.  Even with a shorty forty my 600D wouldn't fit in my pocket.  And the reviews I've seen all rate the M quite highly for video.  Which is very useful for me. And the price is getting very right.

That's all good, but when a company like Canon admits that there are issues with the current model and decides to relaunch it, then why not wait a couple of months. I personally do not see the price going up that much, if at all, as it is not a new model but a replacement of a model that had issues.

Look upon it a different way, if they do release a nice new replacement with brand new AF and other improvements and it is only US$ 50 more then you can either splash out or still buy a probably even cheaper original version. You win either way.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2013, 08:58:01 AM »
Fix that AF & bring out FF.

I really want to see Canon kicks the RX1 in the Bbbb.....but I doubt it :(
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 09:22:00 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

traveller

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2013, 09:23:47 AM »
Fix that AF & bring out FF.

I agree with you on the first point, Canon built their modern reputation on their AF performance (1D MkIII aside...); to have the slowest AF in class on their mirorless entry is a PR disaster!

I have to say that I disagree with you on the second point.  Full frame is an issue that is confusing the mirrorless market, putting off potential buyers.  I'm not trying to say that there aren't people that would be willing to pay $3000 on a mirroless camera, I just don't think that this segment is mass market enough for Canon at this point in time.  Canon need to demonstrate their commitment to the EOS-M as a system if they expect pople to choose it over the competition; two lenses and a converter is not doing that. 

infared

• 5D Mark III
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2013, 09:33:51 AM »
Well that gives me some comfort that I did not sink my money into the current version, coz on many occasions I thought of getting the EOS-M but just kept putting it off as it wasn't a priority for me ... maybe the newer version(s) might lure me into buying one  :-\

Although if it drops below 400 with the prime kits lens, I'd get it to replace the P&S...
Not a bad idea ... but wasn't there a deal recently mentioned in CR for around $396?

That was $399 at big value with the 22mm f/2....but that has gone up to $449 now.
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/2.8L II, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

pdirestajr

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 09:55:49 AM »
I was/ am surprised that thew EOS M doesn't even have a presence at my local Best Buy. Um, isn't that where it NEEDS to be?! It has no chance at success otherwise.
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

gjones5252

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »
I was sorely disappointed in the EOS M. It was t a game changer at all so this news is somewhat exciting for me although I am not getting my hopes up.
My opinion is that they could blow things away if they had a large sensor with some quick basic lenses. Go very simple on body design as well like x100s. I am very tempted right now to  getting that camera. I know canon can come out with something better but it may not be good for business to do so.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2013, 10:00:37 AM »

eric_ykchan

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2013, 10:14:30 AM »
To throw the manufactured EOS-M into rubbish bin and then replace it by another similar model that will not sell well?

Random Orbits

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2013, 10:21:34 AM »
Well that gives me some comfort that I did not sink my money into the current version, coz on many occasions I thought of getting the EOS-M but just kept putting it off as it wasn't a priority for me ... maybe the newer version(s) might lure me into buying one  :-\

Although if it drops below 400 with the prime kits lens, I'd get it to replace the P&S...
Not a bad idea ... but wasn't there a deal recently mentioned in CR for around $396?

It was temporarily at 399, and I had that screen open on my computer for while I was trying to decide, and then the deal was over.  Hopefully the price will drop further when Gen 2 comes out.  It would be nice if the AF were better, but a P&S-equivalent AF is good enough being used as a P&S, and for 400, it's not a bad deal knowing that I can use it as a backup (however painful) and maintain compatibility with all my lenses.  Better than the S90 we used to have (before it met its early demise in a pool) and better than the HS230 that we currently have.  The 22mm lens is fine for snapshots and as a walkaround, which is how my wife would use it.  I wouldn't bother with any other EOS-M lenses though.  They're too slow for indoor use and Canon's APS-C sensors aren't that clean at high ISOs.

hiplnsdrftr

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2013, 10:29:52 AM »
Or just buy a Nikon A and don't worry about what half baked reiteration Canon comes out with...

As a CPS member, I'm fine with my 1Dx, 1Ds3 etc... I've given up on Canon otherwise.

« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 10:32:31 AM by hiplnsdrftr »

Act444

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2013, 10:42:55 AM »
I'm more interested in the lenses they come up with. The current one is serving me just fine- I've been taking it out recently and the more I use it, the more I like it...if I need the AF performance (or IQ), I've already got the DSLR.

I wish they'd come out with a relatively fast ~50mm lens with IS that doesn't add considerable bulk to the camera. Between that, the 22 and the 18-55 I'd be all set for that system.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 11:06:57 AM »

That's all good, but when a company like Canon admits that there are issues with the current model and decides to relaunch it, then why not wait a couple of months. I personally do not see the price going up that much, if at all, as it is not a new model but a replacement of a model that had issues.

Where did canon admit anything?  It's not in their DNA.

And launching a new camera or expanding a range, isn't that the norm?

And the successors price?  It won't be $50 more.  Not for the first 6 months at least.  So that wait becomes 9 months.

HarryWintergreen

• Canon AE-1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »
I've got the Fuji x100s which really is a jewel. I'm not a since-I-got-my-mirrorless-I-don't-ever-use-my-dslr-gear-again-guy, but there are at least two things Canon seems to turn a blind eye to. Street photography is what many people seek in times of a suffocating trend towards photographic perfection. And it's such a joy to use a tool made by a company listening to customers.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 11:11:17 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2013, 11:18:18 AM »
I don't know what reality may or may not emerge from this. But after reading it, my gut, emotional reaction is "Yeah, yeah, yeah...blah, blah, blah."
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

jcollett

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »
Hello
The problem is that the eos M looks like a plastic toy .
The Fuji looks good , even the nikon looks good
It's a meter of What Is transceiver.
Unfortunately, Canon's camera looks cheap plastic .
The canon design is ugly .
And last very Important detail - they must use - WI-FI & GPS - this is MUST !
Thanks every body
SHAI

If the EOS-M had Wi-Fi and GPS running along with a lens with IS going, the battery may only get like 40 shots on a charge!  They may need to develop a battery grip for the body to drive all these extra features.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2013, 11:54:00 AM »