October 26, 2014, 12:09:13 AM

Author Topic: The Future of EOS M [CR1]  (Read 24670 times)

c.d.embrey

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of EOS M [CR1]
« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »
Three NEW lenses. Or three NEW Kit Zoomz ??? Me, I'm wanting a f/4.5-f/8 18-400mm ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 26, 2013, 12:39:21 PM »

Pieces Of E

• Rebel T5i
  • Canon owners and operators
    • View Profile
    • Pieces Of E, LLC
« Reply #31 on: April 26, 2013, 01:11:30 PM »
I dropped $900 on the EOS-M package with the 22mm, the EF lens adaptor and I haven't even charged the battery yet. Why? Because of the bad press on the slow AF and the bad rumour of a firmware update that hasn't materialized. Today, I just ordered the EF-S 18-135 STM lens, with hood and Tiffen ND .03 filter because I had $250 worth of Amazon gift cards from Christmas. Damnit, I am now totallly commited to this thing come hell or high water. Like Paul13walnut5 here, I bought this camera to only shoot video because I have a 7D for stills. My wife is pissed at me for spending the money and not using the camera yet, so here I go. I am also watching MagicLantern closely as they develop their software package for the EOS-M and really want to see where it all goes. My video background goes back to the 1990's when Sony introduced the Digital 8 format and their first VAIO Digital Studio pc packaged with Adobe Premiere LT. I still have the TRV-103 camera, a VX-2000 mini DV cam, a recent model Panasonic AVCHD camera and Premiere Pro CS-5.5, soon to be CS-6. I'm gonna see what the EOS-M will do with my slight arrray of EF and EF-S lenses. When I shoot something decent, I'll be sure and share and enjoy the critiques!  ;). Happy Friday everyone.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 01:16:13 PM by Pieces Of E »
EOS 7D, BG-E7, EF 300L IS f4, EF 100L IS f2.8 macro, EF 24-105L IS f4 , EF 1.4 extender MKIII, EF-S 10-22 f3.5-5.6, 70-200L IS f2.8 II, EOS-M, 22 f2 STM, EF-S 18-135 IS STM, EF 85 f1.8

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2013, 02:25:46 PM »
But the problems folk have found aren't necessarily problems for me.

I have my 7D for the fast stuff.  Even with a shorty forty my 600D wouldn't fit in my pocket.  And the reviews I've seen all rate the M quite highly for video.  Which is very useful for me. And the price is getting very right.

That's all good, but when a company like Canon admits that there are issues with the current model and decides to relaunch it, then why not wait a couple of months. I personally do not see the price going up that much, if at all, as it is not a new model but a replacement of a model that had issues.
Because the EOS-M, on launch, was $799 for that kit. The new EOS-M, at cheapest, will be $799.

Currently the EOS-M is $469 at Amazon, which means its probably going for $400 in some deals. That's half off...so, why wait for improvements you dont really need when the price is 50% off.

Ivar

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:31 PM »
I've got the Fuji x100s which really is a jewel. I'm not a since-I-got-my-mirrorless-I-don't-ever-use-my-dslr-gear-again-guy, but there are at least two things Canon seems to turn a blind eye to. Street photography is what many people seek in times of a suffocating trend towards photographic perfection. And it's such a joy to use a tool made by a company listening to customers.

Same here, not a single moment of hesitation when I decided for the Fuji 100s.
Canon seems too conservative and protective: too late, too little, use the same old tech. That for well established mirrorless/bigger sensor compact market. Sounds crazy to me. The Fuji x100 was crazy too looking at the issues, but they were first, and there was something in it which resonated.

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2013, 02:53:23 PM »
I think everyone with a Canon DSLR kit would pick one up just for a back-up body...and then be drawn in to buying some of the smaller lenses.

Everyone?  Wanna bet?

t.linn

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • You Must Have A Really Nice Camera
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »
I have to admit that I'm happy the response to this product has been tepid.  Sometimes I think that Canon believes it can put out a product which isn't remotely competitive and, because it says "Canon" on it, people will pay whatever price Canon chooses to charge.  Maybe someone over at Canon HQ will realize that protecting their existing product line is not the best long term strategy.

QBNY

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »
All Canon needs to do is make a G12 mirrorless with a proper sensor. They don't need to make a new body, Take the G12, make it able to swap lenses and they'll have a hit.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2013, 03:33:21 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2013, 04:07:32 PM »
I really don't know what the big deal is.  The AF system could be much improved by using 1/2 of the pixels for AF and the other half for a view finder (Interlaced).  Once locked, all pixels go to the RAW image.  This mirror requirement and the old school live view AF system is so out of date.  It's no wonder the M didn't take off.

I would definitely consider an M if it had AF as good as the other EOS DSLRs and an improved frame rate because of the lack of mirror.

Lenses are not a big deal for me.  I would never buy an M lens anyway...maybe just small one for street shooting.  EOS lenses will be the way to go.  Adapter should be included with the camera.

All Canon needs to do is make a G12 mirrorless with a proper sensor. They don't need to make a new body, Take the G12, make it able to swap lenses and they'll have a hit.

robbinzo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 26, 2013, 04:20:07 PM »
I was about to go for it and buy a 5d iii but since I'm not a pro I doubt that I will get enough use out of it to justify the price. I have also realised that in most situations now i dislike carting around bulky gear.
I really liked the look of the Sony RX1 but the price is horrific & the autofocus mediocre. The Fujifilm X100S sounds terrific from the reviews. The X100S sensor has built in phase detect pixels & has a great AF system as a result.
Now, this new eos m has my attention if canon can better the X100S. I'm in no hurry to buy a new camera so I don't mind waiting to see how this pans out.
I wouldn't mind seeing 240 fps video in future eos m models. Nikon have a strange aspect ratio in their nikon 1 high speed video which I don't like at all.
Just hoping that someone at canon reads these threads...
70D, 10-22mm EFS, 17-40mm L, 15-85mm EFS, 100L macro, 50mm f/1.4

QBNY

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 26, 2013, 05:49:33 PM »
Here Ya go, Canon...

Don't want a check, just make it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/28543414@N08/8684740754/#

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 26, 2013, 05:55:46 PM »
I think everyone with a Canon DSLR kit would pick one up just for a back-up body...and then be drawn in to buying some of the smaller lenses.

Everyone?  Wanna bet?

yeah...if Canon can keep the price reasonable (good luck with that, tho), make it focus uber fast, have a great viewfinder and and comes out with some small fast primes people would want it to complement their FF or CF kit...but certainly as I mention in my post (you cut and copied the above out of context just to bash!) as the M is now...I cannot see many people who come to this site considering it for anything. :-)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 05:58:50 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma Art, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

dickgrafixstop

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 26, 2013, 06:13:40 PM »
None as far as I'm concerned.  Rather have a G1X for a 'small' body (which seemed to be the tune canon itself was playing before the M was announced) - and if you put a regular eos mount on it you'd have a winner.

RGomezPhotos

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Ricardo Gomez Photography
« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »
I really want to like the EOS M, but it just doesn't have it.  At this point it would have to be 2x as good for me to get interested...
EOS 5D MKII & 50D, Zeiss 50mm f1.4
www.ricardogomezphotography.com

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 26, 2013, 06:33:16 PM »

SonomaTim

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 26, 2013, 06:37:33 PM »
I've got the Fuji x100s which really is a jewel. I'm not a since-I-got-my-mirrorless-I-don't-ever-use-my-dslr-gear-again-guy, but there are at least two things Canon seems to turn a blind eye to. Street photography is what many people seek in times of a suffocating trend towards photographic perfection. And it's such a joy to use a tool made by a company listening to customers.

I used a friends EOS M for a weekend, but it just didn't do anything for me. I wanted a viewfinder.  I tried the X100 and while it was quirky, the hybrid viewfinder sold me.   Now I have the X100S which is even better.  The ironic thing is that the X100S reminds me so much of my old Canon Canonet rangefinder.   I've been a Canon user for over 40 years, but Canon lost me with the M.   I'm not giving up my 5DIII (yet) but the X100S has become my everyday go-to camera.

tallrob

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »
The real problem with Canon and the M is that they threw it out like it was gold and just left it hung out to dry when it didn't receive accolades.  They never released a firmware update to address the AF (later claiming it wasn't possible -BS) or the lack of a true Servo AF, or the fact that switching to MF required a trip through the menus.  Any of that would have been a gesture of support.  So they've abandoned the current model and early adopters who had high hopes for this potentially great but flawed camera.  Now it's on extreme clearance sale to underscore the abandonment.

I bought mine during the first discount wave.  It's a good camera with great IQ and the touch screen is amazing.  The AF is just barely sometimes a problem.  Learn it's quirks and you can get around them.  The MF switching is just stupid.  Servo drives me a little nuts.  Otherwise I love it and just wish Canon would have shown a little more support.  I probably won't buy another one and might just ditch my 5Dii and L lenses for a Fuji system.  Canon's and Fuji's next moves will decide it for me.  Fuji seems dedicated to customers.  Canon not so much.
So I bought an EOS M and a 6D - I love the black sheep!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:41 PM »