July 24, 2014, 03:24:13 AM

Author Topic: The Future of EOS M [CR1]  (Read 22105 times)

StepBack

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
Re: The Future of EOS M [CR1]
« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »
The mirrorless offers from other manufacturers opens up the field for some photographers. While I have never seen a Leica at an NFL game or a MLB game I imagine there are a lot of retail shops in LaJolla that sell their products. When all is said and done the mirrorless don't offer much compared to a dslr for still shots. It's more a gimmick at this point. But I have seen the best results with the EM-5 and I attribute that to the photographer. If u go Canon u want to be able to buy lightweight lenses. Of course u can use your already owned but lightweight black is the idea for being unobtrusive. The RX1 is something only Sony could dream up and find someone to buy. U can get a D800 for the price. The 4/3's offer the largest number of legacy lenses from assorted sources, but when u start adding it up you're back up to a FF if u go picking among the possibilities. However, for hand held lightweight travel w/o the use for a big tele I think they hit the spot. Right now the 5D3 is by far the best out of the box camera offered which almost anyone can use to get good results.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #90 on: May 06, 2013, 08:03:45 AM »

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 06, 2013, 08:21:45 AM »
As Paul says, it's unlikely the EOS M wasn't really designed for the 400mm although it can be fitted to it with the adaptor. There has to be a reason the 1Dx has the extra power compared to even the 5D3. What I understand, it doesn't only help increase the fps it also helps focusing faster. So, the EOS M isn't likely to have that extra power to drive its motor very quickly. I have used a (borrowed) M now a couple of days with the 22mm and that touch screen focus and obviously it isn't fast, but not as bad as I expected. It's all about having a balanced system and have the right expectations.

True. I must admit I am interested by these small cameras, and often find myself at a Sony area of the shopping mall messing around with the RX 1 and RX 100. It will be interesting to see what the new M is like, but for now, if I were purchasing such an item I would get the RX 100.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #92 on: May 06, 2013, 08:38:51 AM »
As Paul says, it's unlikely the EOS M wasn't really designed for the 400mm although it can be fitted to it with the adaptor. There has to be a reason the 1Dx has the extra power compared to even the 5D3. What I understand, it doesn't only help increase the fps it also helps focusing faster. So, the EOS M isn't likely to have that extra power to drive its motor very quickly. I have used a (borrowed) M now a couple of days with the 22mm and that touch screen focus and obviously it isn't fast, but not as bad as I expected. It's all about having a balanced system and have the right expectations.

True. I must admit I am interested by these small cameras, and often find myself at a Sony area of the shopping mall messing around with the RX 1 and RX 100. It will be interesting to see what the new M is like, but for now, if I were purchasing such an item I would get the RX 100.
I can see why, my brother in law got the RX100 a few months ago and I got to play with it a little when they visited us down here, it definitely outperforms my S100. But for now I'm happy with the S100 as a pocket camera, there are other more pressing areas to spend money on.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #93 on: May 06, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
For me a csc only has the csc main selling point with a pancake lens.

99% of the time my M will have the 22mm fitted and will fit in my pocket in a way that a DSLR wouldn't.

It'll be miles better IQ than the SX230 that lives in my glovebox.

And if I'm going to bastardize the CSC concept by putting anything other than a pancake on it, then it might as well be a lens that I already own, and I can't do that with a panasonic, fuji or sony.

For me, and I'm feeling increasingly isolated, the M makes quite a lot of sense used in the way it was designed to be used, which was never as an SLR beater, in the same way that none of the other CSCs are SLR beaters.

Jay H

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 06, 2013, 10:37:39 AM »

99% of the time my M will have the 22mm fitted and will fit in my pocket in a way that a DSLR wouldn't.

And if I'm going to bastardize the CSC concept by putting anything other than a pancake on it, then it might as well be a lens that I already own, and I can't do that with a panasonic, fuji or sony.

For me, and I'm feeling increasingly isolated, the M makes quite a lot of sense used in the way it was designed to be used, which was never as an SLR beater, in the same way that none of the other CSCs are SLR beaters.

I agree, too many cameras trying to equal the capabilities of a DSLR while not not maximizing the advantages of a small body with a small sensor.

Case in point: Nikon 1 series. Teensy bodies. An expanding collection of small,  quality lenses. 4K output (for 1 sec),  slow motion video. Etc. A lot to like in a very small package.

Marsu42

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • ML-66d / 100L / 70-300L / 17-40L / 600rts
    • View Profile
    • 6D positive spec list
« Reply #95 on: May 06, 2013, 11:42:37 AM »

It does make a lot of sense, and this concept and other mirrorless (i.e. smaller, faster fps) cameras will no doubt be the future in the upper p&s or lower rebel segment in the near future.

It's just that the general suspicion seems to be that Canon didn't put such a slow af into it because they thought it'd be sufficient, but simply they couldn't do any better at that time - maybe this will be proven by a eos-m mk2 with a digic6 and faster af.

paul13walnut5

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »
Thats what I'm saying Marsu.  With the right settings I don't think the AF is really all that bad.  I wouldn't recommend it to my mum, because she would want it just to work out the box, and I take the point that every review, every forum and everybody who has read a forum (and even those who haven't touched an M) says..

Out the box with the flexi zone left to auto, it's slow and it hunts.

With a dabble in the menus, point select, AF+MF enabled and continual focus switched off, it is about 65x better.

Now I know that 99% of the target users probably aren't going to get beyond A mode.  But for folk who used EOS before, who know what the AF settings mean, you can get better results out of the AF.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #96 on: May 06, 2013, 01:36:23 PM »

pj1974

• 7D
    • View Profile
    • A selection of my photos (copyright)
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2013, 12:07:30 AM »
Thats what I'm saying Marsu.  With the right settings I don't think the AF is really all that bad.  I wouldn't recommend it to my mum, because she would want it just to work out the box, and I take the point that every review, every forum and everybody who has read a forum (and even those who haven't touched an M) says..

With a dabble in the menus, point select, AF+MF enabled and continual focus switched off, it is about 65x better.

Now I know that 99% of the target users probably aren't going to get beyond A mode.  But for folk who used EOS before, who know what the AF settings mean, you can get better results out of the AF.

Thanks Paul for your number of posts about the EOS M.  I must admit I didn't go into the menus of the EOS M (but I did for the 100D and 700D DSLRs, which I was quite quickly familiar with).

I had picked up the EOS M as a 'end of my visit to the store' thing - and to be fair to the EOS M, I didn't go through and 'limit all the variables' for AF (like I also do for my DSLRs). I would have

Maybe I will go back to the store and use the menus another time. Some staff in that store know me from some visits / former purchases, and they are all usually very accommodating in letting customers use the camera at length in store.

At the end of the day I think I have been spoiled by the 7D's AF (I agree with you, Paul, that too many ppl have overstated the 7D's low ISO noise and "AF issues" - none of which have been show stoppers for me). But I might have another look at the EOS M - but think that a DSLR is a better 'fit' for my girlfriend (also with my range of Canon EF and EF=S lenses).

Regards

Paul
I'm not a brand-fanatic. What I do appreciate is using my 7D and 350D cameras along with a host of lenses & many accessories to capture quality photos, and share with friends.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2013, 12:56:48 AM »

something I have found taking pics of my 5 month old baby girl while i'm holding her.
with the eos-m and 22mm lens is super handy because its light and easy to hold in 1 hand
the 22mm minimum focus distance is only 150mm so i can hold her on my lap and take a quick snap and still get a decent angle without waking her up. the AF speed doesnt matter here anyway

overall as an auxillary camera i really like the EOS-M but I couldnt live with it as my only camera
APS-H Fanboy

CanoSony

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2013, 01:49:26 AM »

Cant mount huh?
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4120/4749919445_f173f0928a.jpg

I'm sorry your EOS M is on the 4th page of this list, but there ARE mirrorless cameras out there that beat most dslrs

http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/Cameras/Camera-Sensor-Ratings/List-view

paul13walnut5

« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2013, 03:11:32 AM »

Cant mount huh?

I'm sorry your EOS M is on the 4th page of this list, but there ARE mirrorless cameras out there that beat most dslrs

Mount with AF?  Mount with aperture control? Sorry when I said 'mount' I meant mount and work, othereise, where's the gaffer tape?

I'm just sorry you read through 4 pages of dxo to make your point.

When hou buy your next car, ask the garage to remove the gear box before you take it out.  Buy the car based purely on the torque charts.   Doesn't work, does it?

Funny how all the canon-biased reviewers who slate the af also praise the iq of the m.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2013, 05:40:26 AM »

Cant mount huh?

Mount with AF?  Mount with aperture control? Sorry when I said 'mount' I meant mount and work, othereise, where's the gaffer tape?

When hou buy your next car, ask the garage to remove the gear box before you take it out.  Buy the car based purely on the torque charts.   Doesn't work, does it?

Funny how all the canon-biased reviewers who slate the af also praise the iq of the m.

I had this thing all wrong when you guys started talking about mounting. Wrong forum again, it happens.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »

Cant mount huh?

"Mount with AF?  Mount with aperture control?" - Yes. It's not cheap and the AF may be worse than EOS-M, but you can use your Canon lenses on NEX cameras.

Small | Large
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2013, 07:03:07 AM »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2013, 07:11:30 AM »
It's the price of an M!

If you had an NEX already... well can see the point up to a point.

If you didn't, you'd just buy an M, wouldn't you?

Thanks for the metabones link. 

I had forgotton all about it, despite posting a link on this forum when it was announced.  Silly me, I must have written it off in my mind.

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »
It's the price of an M!

If you had an NEX already... well can see the point up to a point.

If you didn't, you'd just buy an M, wouldn't you?

Thanks for the metabones link. 

I had forgotton all about it, despite posting a link on this forum when it was announced.  Silly me, I must have written it off in my mind.

No problem :). You may be right about the price, for most of us it seems like an overpriced toy. However, EOS-M adapter has no "fullframatron" mode :D. I'd probably just buy a 6D or the M, or both.
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2013, 08:29:42 AM »