October 25, 2014, 05:11:03 PM

Author Topic: Street Photography Advice... now with Eos-M  (Read 5910 times)

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
Street Photography Advice... now with Eos-M
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »
I have a 14 day trip to indonesia at the end of the summer. I love street photography and would like that to be a huge part of the trip while i am there.
I currently have a canon 5d III, 5d II, 24-105,70-2002.8 ii, 85 1.8, 50 1.8, 16-35 ii, 100mm 2.8.
I also have the canon AE-1 and a 50mm 1.8.
I feel like having the AE-1 has changed the way i look at street photography.
Its such an easier smaller form.
So i have been looking at a few options as i dont want to take this full list of lenses to Indonesia.
1-Fuji Film X100s-fast focusing(sorta), small form, good focal length-fixed lens
2-Sigma 35 F/1.4 incredible sharp(apparently), works with 5d iii
3-renting a leica for that time period and see if that is the way i want to go

I shoot in such a photojournalistic style at what ever i do(event, wedding, street, portraits) i want to make sure the equipment i have fits that agenda.
I have been hoping forever that canon would come out with some digital randefinder but unless this new EOS M rumors comes true and is out of character for canon i am still back to these 3 options as far as i can tell...Thanks in advance for all your help.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 12:57:30 PM by gjones5252 »

canon rumors FORUM

Street Photography Advice... now with Eos-M
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:30:31 AM »

ryan00013

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
Re: Street Photography Advice...
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:40:57 PM »
I had a similar dilemma myself recently:

1. I now own a Fuji X100s and LOVE it for street photography. Please note, I'm a little biased here because it is my newest toy.

2. I considered it, but the 5DIII is still huge and draws a lot more attention in comparison to the X100s and. (I've shot a fair bit of street photography with 5D III + 50L combo).

3. I still do want to rent a Leica myself and try it out. However, with the auto-focusing being so darn good on the two aforementioned cameras, I find myself wondering how many shots I would be willing to miss to obtain the "Leica experience." All comments mentioned below about Leica assume a Leica m9 with Leica class.

One thing to take into consideration is what "type" of street photography shooter you are. If you hang back and  wait for shots, you are less likely to be noticed with any camera. Mark Carey does some amazing street photography work with the 5DIII. However, if you are a "wanderer" like me, I have found the X100s to be a dream in good light (phase detect focusing engages in good light). I'm sure the Leica would be just as great.

Each setup has it's own pros/cons. I'll give my view of each. For reference, I have owned the following:
Currently owned: Cameras -  Canon 5D3, Fuji X100s.
Lens - Canons: 50L, 85L II, 70-200 IS II, Tamron 24-70,
Previously owned: Cameras - Sony RX100, Sony NEX-6, Fuji X100, Canon T3i,
Lens - Canons: 35L, 40mm pancake, 50 1.8, 85 1.8, 18-55 IS II, 70-200 f/4L,
Sigmas: 30 1.4, 50 1.4, 85 1.4, 17-50 OS, Tokina 11-16

Auto-Focus:
The 5D III + Sigma 35 wins. Fuji X100s is no slouch in good daylight, but it's still no 5D III either. In the dark it is still accurate, just slower. However, I find it good enough about 95% of the time. Leica - no AF

Manual focusing:
Winner: Leica - Duh. In second place comes the Fuji X100s. The focus peaking is great and digital split focus is pretty cool. (I prefer the focus peaking). The Fuji also has a distance meter that is a GREAT help if you want to use zone focusing. I hate manually focusing the 5D III. With world class AF, why would I anyways?

Size:
Fuji X100s wins here - the smallest and only "pocketable" option of the three. I love the small discreet size. This also plays into the "stealth" factor as well. Leica's are also great, just not quite as small. The 5D III is a huge beast. Gaffer taped or not, the 5DIII is really noticeable.

Lens options:
5DIII and Leica tie. However, if you are comfortable shooting 35mm only, then the Fuji lens is actually really good.

IQ:
5DIII ^ Leica > Fuji. It's about what you'd expect. The 5DIII excellent sensor + Sigma 35 will offer the greatest resolution photos. Though, IQ isn't all about resolution and some will argue and say the Leica has that special "Leica" look that trumps all. Though not quite as good as the other two, some people love the way that the X100s renders color. Even with the lowest resolution of the 3, the Fuji's 16mp sensor still leaves room for decent cropping. I have no hesitation in using the Fuji for professional work and have used it multiple times for that use.

Handling:
Many will say the Leica. I've never used one, so can't comment. However, I can say the X100s is the most fun to use and is my favorite camera EVER. The manual dials are great! Also, see the "viewfinder" section below) I love my 5DIII and it feels great for a DSLR; but... it's not very fun to carry around and use for a long session.

Viewfinder:
Fuji X100s BY FAR. The hybrid viewfinder in the X100s is the best I have ever used (many reviewers state this as well). I won't even attempt to explain it. Just about every review gushes on about how great it is. I'd recommend trying one for yourself. The Leica's are great if you want the rangefinder experience but lack any "live view" options. The 5DIII is good and but "live view" is only available via the LCD.

ISO performance:
Fuji X100s will offer the cleanest files at low light, even beating out the 5DIII. This is about the only place that Leica comes in last.

Build:
All 3 have excellent build quality so no reasons for concern here. (please keep in mind that the Sigma 35 and the X100s are NOT weather sealed)

Discreetness:
Fuji X100s. It is the smallest and quietest camera of the 3. The shutter is hardly perceptible in most environments, even for the photographer. I've heard the Leica shutter is pretty quiet and as mentioned earlier, it's smaller size. That Leica logo may attract attention from lustful photographers here and there. The 5DIII's silent shutter is great, but it's a huge beast.

Overall:
That's up to you. I went with a Fuji X100s for street shooting and it comes with me as my every day camera as well. I keep my 5DIII at home for portrait and event shoots. For me, it was an "either/or" situation, meaning I can't afford a Leica without selling my 5DIII kit. No matter how great the Leica's manual focusing is, there are just times then the 5DIII's auto-focus does what I simply couldn't using manual focus (*note my limitation, not Leica's). If Leica ever makes an AF-capable body, I'll seriously consider selling my kit for it. My current setup works perfectly for my needs; Fuji X100s + Canon 5DIII, Canon 50L, Canon 85L II, Tamron 24-70 VC, Canon 70-200 IS II.

*Side note #1: Please note that I have never owned or used a Leica. My knowledge of them is limited to the 40 or 50 hours I spent researching them when I was seriously considering buying one. I think they are amazing cameras, but it just isn't a good fit for me currently. If money were no issue? You can bet I'd have one.

*Side note #2: If you decide to go with the Fuji X100s, buy two extra batteries (as the battery life is about 300 shots) Also, be sure to buy a high-performance SD card for the X100s as it improves the cameras performance noticeably. Another bonus is the 1/4000 flash sync speed. I haven't used this yet, but it can allow for some amazing creative opportunities with an external flash.

And... first post done. :)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 07:36:36 PM by ryan00013 »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2013, 07:54:18 PM »
ryan00013:

Best first post I've ever seen!

Hope you'll stick around.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Click

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2013, 07:56:33 PM »
Great first post. Welcome to cr.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2013, 09:06:31 PM »
Two things:
1, End of summer it will rain quite a lot, take that into account
2, Jakarta can be a rather dangerous city, if possible get a local guide to go with you and keep your gear close

J

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2013, 09:40:10 PM »
I am throuroghly impressed! That was an amazing post sir! Thank you for the valuable input.
We will be going in the beginning of August. So if it will still be rainy that does sound like a factor in my decision making.
So far your review of the x100s only seems to back up what I am reading else where. I just want to make sure it is something I can use in combination with the other things I use my cameras for.
Sounds like I need to find a place where I can try both a Leica and a x100s to see what feel I want. I feel like with the x100s I am making a temporary investment whereas with the Leica or sigma it's more long term and usability.
So far that is what's keeping me from going to a x100s.
If canon made a Leica type design using ef or Efs lenses they would have my money faster than anything but eos m just is t cutting it yet.

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2013, 11:07:10 PM »

johnrudoff@yahoo.com

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2013, 04:12:49 PM »
I could not possibly match the diligence of Ryan's post. Just a couple of comments.
1. Size and shutter sound matter, but probably not as much as you think. The reason is that you will almost certainly stand out in whatever venue in Indonesia you are shooting, and you'll just have to use your wit and streetsmarts to be able to smooth your way through whatever inquiries (official or otherwise) you may get.
2. You have enough kit for anything up to a moon landing. Just take the camera(s) you handle best. Above all, do NOT try to learn new gear on a critical shoot or expensive  vacation. Rent the gear if you must; bvut spend a few days full time playing with before you board your aircraft. I learned the hard way ...
Have fun. John
John
5DMkIII, 1Dx, assorted lenses

ChilledXpress

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2013, 04:19:24 PM »
+1 for the Fuji X100S

gjones5252

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 01:00:18 AM »
I could not possibly match the diligence of Ryan's post. Just a couple of comments.
1. Size and shutter sound matter, but probably not as much as you think. The reason is that you will almost certainly stand out in whatever venue in Indonesia you are shooting, and you'll just have to use your wit and streetsmarts to be able to smooth your way through whatever inquiries (official or otherwise) you may get.
2. You have enough kit for anything up to a moon landing. Just take the camera(s) you handle best. Above all, do NOT try to learn new gear on a critical shoot or expensive  vacation. Rent the gear if you must; bvut spend a few days full time playing with before you board your aircraft. I learned the hard way ...
Have fun. John
Thanks thats good wisdom. I appreciate everyones responses. Due to Price the Leica is in no way happening before this trip. sad but its how life works.
The x100s is still a possibility as is a new lens.
Anyone know any good places to read some tips on street photography? I think by reading that and working with my current equipment i can see what i am missing and see what i really want in a new item.??

ryan00013

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2013, 06:03:52 PM »
Anyone know any good places to read some tips on street photography? I think by reading that and working with my current equipment i can see what i am missing and see what i really want in a new item.??

Here are a few articles:

I've found Erik Kim's blog to be pretty useful:
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/start-here/

This is a great article on 35 vs. 50mm for street photography:
http://www.yanidel.net/2011/02/28/35mm-or-50mm-for-street-photography/

And here are some good street photographers who use each respective camera. A quick look at any of their sites will make you realize that no matter which camera you pick, you can make it work for street photography.

Brian Kraft is a great street photographer (uses Fuji X100s):
http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-street-photography/

I recently discovered Mark Carey and was super impressed (Uses 5D3 with Canon 35 f/2):
http://www.markcareyphotography.com/2013/24540/

Steve Huff is also a well-known street photographer who also writes great gear reviews (Uses Leica M)
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/who-am-i/my-portfolio-street-photography/

Also, I have found zone focusing in good light a GREAT way to make sure you don't miss shots. I usually hover around f/8 and pre-focused about 10 feet away. It usually puts everything from about 6 ft to 100ft in reasonable focus.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 06:06:46 PM by ryan00013 »

dirtcastle

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
    • Eric Nord Flickr Page
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:58 PM »
If I were starting from scratch, I would get the X100s.

Redder

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »
I'd like to share my experience on street photography in Asia.

I was in Shanghai in summer two years ago for a month, spending almost everyday doing street photography, mostly people shooting on the street.

I had with me a 5D original with 2 lenses only, a 50mm 1.8 (mark 1) and 17-40 4.0L.

The 50mm 1.8 was wonderful that it was able to let me left the background soft and out of focus in very busy and crowded streets, and the 17-40L was used on days when there were light rains because it is weather sealed.

One full charge on the 5D battery can easily last more than a days' shooting with plenty of review time on the LCD.
My 5D back AE button was set to focus, I shot with centre point focus and reframe, focus had been spot-on even using full opening 1.8 with the 50mm on the street. (With full opening 1.8, can't leave it to the camera to pick a focus point, at the same time manually selecting another focus point is often too slow when shooting on the street).

Among the roughly 3,000 files  I took during the time using these 2 lenses, the 50mm 1.8 represented 70-80 percent.

I didn't find myself wanting for more lens, and like the relative light total weight of the equipment.

Hope you have a wonderful time in Indo.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:04 PM »

JonB8305

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2013, 08:38:11 PM »
I was in Jakarta last month with a 6D 24-105 Kit.

I'd say take the 5d and 16-35 and you'd be set for street photography, take the 70-200 if you have room if not, just take the 85.

One or two locals did not appreciate me taking pics so I'd go wide angle so you can look one way and still get everyone in the shot without causing a disturbance.

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »

Here are a few articles:

I've found Erik Kim's blog to be pretty useful:
http://erickimphotography.com/blog/start-here/

This is a great article on 35 vs. 50mm for street photography:
http://www.yanidel.net/2011/02/28/35mm-or-50mm-for-street-photography/

And here are some good street photographers who use each respective camera. A quick look at any of their sites will make you realize that no matter which camera you pick, you can make it work for street photography.

Brian Kraft is a great street photographer (uses Fuji X100s):
http://www.briankraft.com/Blog/personal/fuji-x100s-street-photography/

I recently discovered Mark Carey and was super impressed (Uses 5D3 with Canon 35 f/2):
http://www.markcareyphotography.com/2013/24540/

Steve Huff is also a well-known street photographer who also writes great gear reviews (Uses Leica M)
http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/who-am-i/my-portfolio-street-photography/

Also, I have found zone focusing in good light a GREAT way to make sure you don't miss shots. I usually hover around f/8 and pre-focused about 10 feet away. It usually puts everything from about 6 ft to 100ft in reasonable focus.

Great links, I especially liked Steve Huff. There's a lot for me to learn there.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2013, 08:59:23 PM »