August 29, 2014, 10:26:07 PM

Author Topic: Macro lens or attachments to make my current lenses go macro?  (Read 9759 times)

paul13walnut5

Re: Macro lens or attachments to make my current lenses go macro?
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »
Proper dedicated macro.

Filters are rubbish, reversing rings lose electronuc control, extension tubes stretch lenses betond their specification.

Decent macros aren't necessarily all that expensive and feature a proper magnification scale, high corner to corner resolution, very low field curvature etc etc.

Canons ancient slow noisy 50mm f2.5 is still optically a goodie and at a bargain price.

Sigma do a 50mm f2.8 macro which is also nice, and modestly priced.

I currently have the sigma 70mm f2.8 which at the time of buying had the highest imatests of any lens for the canon system, was also good on my eos 3 and had a good usable aperture range (grrrrreat up to f11, very very good at f16)

I don't bother with IS, particularly for macro, tripd and manfrotto 454 all the way!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2013, 02:28:20 PM »

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2013, 02:34:13 PM »
That's the crux of the issue right there.  100 2.8 used is $400.  Tubes or attachments are half that cost.  For what I'm thinking, is the difference going to be that substantial?  (And there comes the key...I will notice it, but will my clients?)

Your clients likely won't notice an IQ difference.  You might not, even.  What you will notice is the difference in convenience.  You posted two examples (rings with box and rings on stick) - you'd need a different combo of tube(s) + lens for a tightly framed shot of each (less mag to include the box).  The 100/2.8 (or any true macro lens) gives you the flexibility to focus from infinity to 1:1, so you can get the framing you want in minimum time.  So it may come down to whether or not you can count in having time during the wedding shoot to muck about with tubes, or not. After all...time is money.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

Don Haines

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Posting cat pictures on the internet since 1986
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2013, 03:17:32 PM »
To my way of thinking, if you are dealing with moving subjects (live insects, ec) or handheld, the 100L is the clear best choice. If you are dealing with static objects, out comes the tripod... IS is not needed, and you have all the time you want to make your shot using whatever techology suits your fancy.
The best camera is the one in your hands

Frodo

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2013, 03:39:16 PM »
So it may come down to whether or not you can count in having time during the wedding shoot to muck about with tubes, or not. After all...time is money.

Neuro is right with mucking about.  I have a 50/2.5 macro with lifesize converter, a 250D closeup lens and an EF25mm extension tube.

I would not recommend tubes for what you want.  The process would be:
- remove existing lens
- attach tube
- attach lens to front of tube
- take photo
- remove lens
- remove tube
- replace lens

I use the tube on my 200/2.8 when taking photos of flighty subjects.

For most convenience  would be the 250D closeup lens.  Assuming you are shooting the 85, you simply need to screw it onto the front.  This will give you between 1/3 and 1/2 life size, which is fine for wedding rings.  This will give you sufficient working distance.  The closeup lens could stay in your pocket.  Quality of the Canon produce is absolutely fine for your purposes, not "rubbish" as claimed by another poster.  I would get one to suit the lens you will use most often and not get a larger (and much more expensive) closeup lens with step-up ring. 

Next option would be a dedicated macro lens.  The 50/2.5 would be fine for your purpose, even though it only goes down to 1/2 lifesize.  Advantages: cheap and relatively small - you want to minimise gear that you carry around.

The 100/2.8 macro is a little more expensive and goes to lifesize, but is much bigger.  You then have 50, 85, 100, 135 and 70-200 which is quite a focal length overlap for someone who will need to carry gear around.

I've done a few weddings.  The key is to be fleet on your feet and not be encumbered with gear.  Hence, my suggestions.
If gear matters: 5DII, 7D, G11, Samyang 14/2.8, EF 24-105/4, EF 35/2.0IS, EF 50/2.5 macro, EF 85/1.8, EF 200/2.8II, EF 400/5.6, Ext 1.4x, Lifesize conv, Ext tube EF25, 430EXII, 270EX, Yongnuo 603C

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Chuck Alaimo Photography
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2013, 03:40:25 PM »
To my way of thinking, if you are dealing with moving subjects (live insects, ec) or handheld, the 100L is the clear best choice. If you are dealing with static objects, out comes the tripod... IS is not needed, and you have all the time you want to make your shot using whatever techology suits your fancy.

no moving subjects...this would be primarily for wedding rings...looking to be handheld too.  I don't bring out the tripod for weddings..
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

zim

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2013, 03:45:28 PM »
You may want to consider Raynox DCR-150, cheep as chips (I got the 250 just for fun and would be too much macro for what you want) it’s a simple clip-on that would seem ideal in a wedding environment for just one shot, no messing about, very quick to use. Not sure if it’s up to pro requirements but I think it’s surprisingly good for the price.

chauncey

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »
I will notice it, but will my clients?)
That, my friend, is a dissappointing statement coming from a professional.  You're saying less than my best is good enough for them.
Filters are rubbish, reversing rings lose electronuc control, extension tubes stretch lenses betond their specification.
Heed Paul's wisdom.  I use a 180 macro and the only time it's off my 1DsIII is when a 300 2.8 is mounted on it.
That lens is excellent for much more than macro work...takes great portraits.      ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2013, 03:46:07 PM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2013, 04:03:56 PM »
So it may come down to whether or not you can count in having time during the wedding shoot to muck about with tubes, or not. After all...time is money.

Neuro is right with mucking about.  I have a 50/2.5 macro with lifesize converter, a 250D closeup lens and an EF25mm extension tube.

I would not recommend tubes for what you want.  The process would be:
- remove existing lens
- attach tube
- attach lens to front of tube
- take photo
- remove lens
- remove tube
- replace lens
Yeah, that process sounds like BLah!!!!

I use the tube on my 200/2.8 when taking photos of flighty subjects.

For most convenience  would be the 250D closeup lens.  Assuming you are shooting the 85, you simply need to screw it onto the front.  my 50mm has same filter size so I should be able to use this on both? This will give you between 1/3 and 1/2 life size, which is fine for wedding rings.  which is pretty much the only reason I am thinking macro This will give you sufficient working distance.  The closeup lens could stay in your pocket.  Quality of the Canon produce is absolutely fine for your purposes, not "rubbish" as claimed by another poster.  I have to wonder if the "rubbish" comment is because that poster assumed I will be making a bigger plunge into macro, but no, just really thinking ring shots I would get one to suit the lens you will use most often and not get a larger (and much more expensive) closeup lens with step-up ring.   That would most likely be my primes then, because within the next year I should be upgrading my 70-200 to the v2IS...which has the larger filter thread

Next option would be a dedicated macro lens.  The 50/2.5 would be fine for your purpose, even though it only goes down to 1/2 lifesize.  Advantages: cheap and relatively small - you want to minimise gear that you carry around.

The 100/2.8 macro is a little more expensive and goes to lifesize, but is much bigger.  You then have 50, 85, 100, 135 and 70-200 which is quite a focal length overlap for someone who will need to carry gear around.  Yeah, my bag is already pretty full!  I don't yet have the 135...but, i have a feeling I will at some point this season :)

I've done a few weddings.  The key is to be fleet on your feet and not be encumbered with gear.  that is exactly why I am looking to find a way to get a little closer to the rings without having to add another lens to the mix Hence, my suggestions.

Look in the quote for reply
Owns 5Dmkiii, 6D, 16-35mm, 24mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8, 50mm 1.4, 85 mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 1-600RT, 2 430 EX's, 1 video light

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2013, 04:16:26 PM »
I will notice it, but will my clients?)
That, my friend, is a dissappointing statement coming from a professional.  You're saying less than my best is good enough for them.
Heed Paul's wisdom.  I use a 180 macro and the only time it's off my 1DsIII is when a 300 2.8 is mounted on it.
That lens is excellent for much more than macro work...takes great portraits.      ;)

It's not that I don't want to offer my best to my clients by any means...  the reality is that for most common folk, the minutia of detail we deliberate over is something most won't see.  My budget this year isn't that large and am trying to squeeze in as many upgrades as I can.  My focus is for sure going to be getting the best I possibly can of course, but for this issue...ring shots...it's going to be 2-10 shots (10 is even stretching it!).  If I am shelling out over $500 on any items now, it;s going to be on the 70-200 v2 (having IS on my longer lens will give me greater SS freedom and increase the keeper rate ---and that';s a focal range that will be used all day!  Or, the 135L 2.0, which would also get lots of use at the ceremony and the receptions (not to mention it being fantastic for portraits.  finding a macro option for ring shots accounts for like less than 1% of the wedding, and really has no other use for me at this stage.  (if I were to do more commercial work, product shots, etc, etc, a dedicated good quality macro would be a no brainer.  But...for the need I am trying to fill...do I compromise upgrades in other areas that will have a greater impact on the entire wedding...or blow the wad on glass that will sit in the bag 99.99% of the time?

"You're saying less than my best is good enough for them.".....  I'm not saying that at all, just trying to fill needs in my kit in the best way I can with the budget I have

Surfwooder

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2013, 04:23:42 PM »
SO, hey hey gearheads, I can't think of a better place to ask this question.  As most of you know, I shoot mostly weddings and portraits.  One of the little things I'd like to improve on are ring shots.  It's not that I don't like the shots that I am getting, but, I'd love to get in a little closer and the only lens I have that allows for really close focusing is the 16-35, which while it can get close, even at 35mm it's not as tight and DOF with that is not to my liking.  I enjoy using the 50, 85 and 70-200 for that, but with the minimum focusing distance it requires a big crop to get the desired shot.

SO that leads to options.  And I am not sure which way to go, and given the very limited use I'm seeking to fill, not sure I want to spend a ton of $$$. 

Lenses:

100 2.8
100L 2.8
180L 3.5

or, I could go with an extension tube ---what are your thoughts on extension tubes?  They are a fairly cheap fix which would get me in a bit closer, and I'd be able to use those on all my longer lenses. 

Another option is the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/87494-REG/Canon_2822A001_58mm_500D_Close_up_Lens.html

That one in particular is would fit my 85 1.8 --- its the cheapest option by far, but, again I have to wonder if that's enough.  Do I need the versatility of the extension tube?  Or, should I bag all of those ideas and snag one of the above mentioned lenses (I see the 180 macro used all the time on B&H...and I have heard that the 100L is also good for portraits...but, with a 85 1.8 and the 70-200, would I really use a 100 macro for portraits???????)

Again, it's not like I plan on diving into the insect world (yeah, of course once I can I probably will, but thats not the main idea here).  Pretty much just wanting a way to get tighter shots of wedding rings, and looking to do so without  spending an arm and a leg (I'd much rather snag a 135L than a macro lens..)

On the other end of things...I am considering a 2x teleconverter too.  I have heard much more about those though...

I would ask the same question on the macro section of the forum "Ugly Hedgehog.com"  There are different setups people use on the forum.  The macro forum is moderated by a real pro macro photographer.  You can get lens help, lighting help, equipment help, all by qualified macro users.

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2013, 05:16:58 PM »
I took this quick picture with a nifty fifty using 12mm Kenko extension tube on a crop camera to show you what magnification you can get. It is a nickel in case that is not obvious. Only PP was to scale it down for the web.

For occasional close ups the tubes will be much better choice then a dedicated macro lens since you can use any of your lenses. And if you put something like the nifty fifty then you can have the tubs attached to it all the time.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:10:10 PM by kphoto99 »

marcel

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • personal work
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2013, 06:31:03 PM »
In macro photography the problem is the distance between the lens and the subject. This is my last work for a make up tutorial:

Pentacon 500 5.6 MC video

And a picture i take for reference for the client.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2013, 06:34:27 PM by marcel »
5D | 550D | 600D | 600 | RT | 14 L | 28 1.8 | 35 2 | 50 1.8 mk 1 | 16-35 L mk 2 | 28-80 2.8-4L | 50-200 3.5-4.5 L | 80-200 2.8 L | 100-300 5.6 L | Pixma Pro 9500 |  FT QL | FTbN QL |  FD 24 2.8 | FD 28 3.5 | FD 35 3.5 | FDn 35 2 | FD 50 3.5 SSC M | FD 100 2.8 | FD 135 3.5 |  FD 200 4 |

greger

• Rebel T5i
  • 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »
I tried the Kenko set of 3 Extension tubes and found they dropped flakes of black on the counter. I don't think I held my camera up so they didn't fall into my camera. $235.99 for a set of 3. You can use 1,2 or all 3 at once. A year later I bought a Canon 100 2.8 IS USM Macro lens with the Instant Rebate for $1,019.99. I got pics I would have never gotten
with Extension Tubes. I handheld the camera up close to a little flower looking through the view finder from a distance. I should have tried live view. I got better results with the lens than with extension tubes. Go to your favourite camera store and ask to try both the tubes and the Canon 100 2.8 IS Macro lens. Take rings for the test, just like you shoot for customers. Then go home and compare the images on your computer. I think this will help you choose the lens over the tubes. Personally I think the lens gets better pics than the tubes.   
Canon 7D | EFS 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM - EF 50mm f/1.8 Mark l - EF 100mm f/2.8 IS USM Macro - EF 70-200mm   f/4 L IS USM- EF 100-400    f4.5-5.6 IS USM - 1.4 ll and 2X ll Extenders

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 28, 2013, 03:16:09 AM »

Chuck Alaimo

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 28, 2013, 04:59:33 PM »
OK...maye it's time to narrow things down and just cross of things from the list, while adding a few things

Lenses:

50mm 2.5
100 2.8 macro usm
100L 2.8 (cost is too high, overlapping focal length)
180L 3.5 (High cost, overlaps with 70-200, unless I can see some portrait examples taken that beat out the 70-200, the cost outweighs the need)

Other

tubes
close-up lens filters

If L quality glass is crossed off the list...how do tubes or filters stack up against the cheaper lenses?  It's process of elimination time!

PS - mind you, if I take one of the cheaper options (tubes or filters) and end up digging macro work and want to take it a step further, it's not like I can't step into one of the higher quality lenses --- lol...  kind of like doing a wine tasting, if I like I can always buy a bottle...

kphoto99

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »

Other

tubes
close-up lens filters

If L quality glass is crossed off the list...how do tubes or filters stack up against the cheaper lenses?  It's process of elimination time!

Think of the close-up lens filter the same as an extender, it enlarges the image, but the trade off is lower IQ.

With the tubes you can try all your existing lenses to see which one produces the image that you like. If you don't like the results you can always sell the tubes, but since you are taking very few pictures that need the close ups, that is the cheapest way to go, and it will produce very good results. After all it is not like a picture of rings will ever be enlarged to a 36x24 size.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2013, 05:11:35 PM »