April 17, 2014, 06:56:28 PM

Author Topic: EF 300mm f/2.8 ( non IS ) AF ISSUES  (Read 3087 times)

wickidwombat

• 1D X
    • View Profile
Re: EF 300mm f/2.8 ( non IS ) AF ISSUES
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »
A fine lens it is.  Check the gold contacts on the back.  Sometimes cleaning GENTLY with a qtip and alcohol will help.  Other than that you should call Canon and see if they will check it out for you.  It's worth it to get it fixed even though 14yo.  I bet it's the contacts though.  They don't last forever.

I've also see this happen with dirty battery contacts since on some cameras the AF motor gets its power directly from the battery.  However since you have tried it on several bodies, I would say it's likely the contacts.  But it could be something internal that needs to be repaired.

+1    A pencil eraser also works...

WTF? do you want him to ruin his lens?
APS-H Fanboy

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2013, 07:52:28 PM »

ChilledXpress

« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2013, 11:16:45 PM »
A fine lens it is.  Check the gold contacts on the back.  Sometimes cleaning GENTLY with a qtip and alcohol will help.  Other than that you should call Canon and see if they will check it out for you.  It's worth it to get it fixed even though 14yo.  I bet it's the contacts though.  They don't last forever.

I've also see this happen with dirty battery contacts since on some cameras the AF motor gets its power directly from the battery.  However since you have tried it on several bodies, I would say it's likely the contacts.  But it could be something internal that needs to be repaired.

The pencil eraser technique has been around for a long time... it won't necessarily ruin his lens, it might not be a great solution though. It's oxidation they are talking about. Check with a electrical shop and pick up a cleaner specific for this and use gingerly on the on contact surface.

I don't mess with this stuff personally, I'd just send to CPS or find a third party repair shop.  Here in the Bay Area there are only a few that can tackle the old stuff.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 11:18:31 PM by ChilledXpress »

East Wind Photography

• 6D
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2013, 10:51:22 AM »
No there is a REALLY good chance it will ruin the lens or get rubber particles inside.  No no no never use a pencil eraser on gold contacts.  I worked in the electronics business for many years and the best way is the correct way.  Use your pencils and erasers for writing only!

The pencil eraser technique has been around for a long time... it won't necessarily ruin his lens, it might not be a great solution though. It's oxidation they are talking about. Check with a electrical shop and pick up a cleaner specific for this and use gingerly on the on contact surface.

I don't mess with this stuff personally, I'd just send to CPS or find a third party repair shop.  Here in the Bay Area there are only a few that can tackle the old stuff.

bchernicoff

• 6D
    • View Profile
    • My Photos
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »
Please let us know what you find out. I have a 400mm f/2.8 Mk II that is no longer serviced by Canon and I worry about the day when I have AF problems with it.
6D, Fuji X-E1
Tamron 24-70 2.8 VC, Canon 50mm f/1.2L, 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, 400mm f/2.8L II, 100mm L IS Macro, Sigma 85mm, & 35mm f/1.4's, Rokinon 14mm f/2.8, Canon 2x Extender II, Kenko 1.4x, 430 EX II, Elinchroms

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2013, 11:37:06 AM »