October 21, 2014, 01:17:57 PM

Author Topic: A Very Detailed 1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]  (Read 12976 times)

Flake

Re: A Very Detailed 1D Mark V Spec List [CR1]
« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »
Just +/- three stops bracketing across three frames?  a major downgrade for the 1D series cameras, the screen is very high resolution - SXGA 1280 x 960.

Flash mode radio controlled - that would be a new feature that's been predicted.  There's no buffer / burst figure as to how many RAW frames can be shot in a burst - important for sports, paps, and journos.

No mention of a max sync speed either - something that's pretty important in a specs list

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: August 06, 2011, 11:18:55 AM »

Cannon Man

« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 11:32:40 AM »
and it does not mention ISO 50 but mentions H1 and H2 ISO's..
And i really doubt it will have an articulated screen.. or that the 2 cameras will merge..
most of the specs are no use for us to know like weight etc.. when the most essential info is missing like fps.

Dalepa

« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 11:55:23 AM »
3AEB would be a deal breaker for the surge of HDR folks.   

The devil is in the details. Only 3 frames for AEB, i.e. reducing the 1-series spec to match the entry level Rebel line?  Nope.

I declare shennigans!!

Flake

« Reply #18 on: August 06, 2011, 12:08:10 PM »
and it does not mention ISO 50 but mentions H1 and H2 ISO's..
And i really doubt it will have an articulated screen.. or that the 2 cameras will merge..
most of the specs are no use for us to know like weight etc.. when the most essential info is missing like fps.

fps is quoted, it's 9.1fps

hutjeflut

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 06, 2011, 12:20:18 PM »
i really think most of it is a wishlist comeone 120 fps @ full HD no way most netbooks with a more powerfull chip have problems playing 25 fps full HD so either canon developed a silly fast chip or this is a wishlist.
im in doubt it can even do 720P at 120 fps as thats still a load of data if canon did pull that off they must sell some patents on that technique as that would be amazing.
also why would they mention no IS every caon user know thats in the lens this looks like website copy where they compare to nikons.

seanmcr6

« Reply #20 on: August 06, 2011, 12:22:24 PM »
640x480 video?

um, no...I don't know anyone who would want that.

A lot of these specs are far BELOW what the 1 series is all about. Professional features.

total shenanigans

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »
I'm calling shenanigans too.

"Metering modes Multi Center-weighted, Spot" - just those two metering modes on a pro camera? Don't think so.

I also don't think they would have SD on this.  32MP at 9+FPS. Do you know how much data that is? That's a lot of freakin' data! They are going to be needing dual UDMA and probably dual Digic 5's for that.

I also don't think they'd downgrade speed from the 10FPS of the ID Mark III and IV. Speed is paramount for a sports shooter. 1 extra frame per second could be the different between getting, and not getting the shot.

Total shenanigans. Glad this is only CR1.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2011, 12:49:56 PM »

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2011, 12:58:06 PM »
The overall feeling is of a list that was incompletely edited from a completely different camera's store spec sheet - as in a different manufacturer.

I tried plugging in a section of the list to Google and found somebody's old, but very similar, formatted list for the Canon A20...not all the categories are there, however.  It's certainly possible that somebody took an existing list and added "features" as wanted, though.  Plausible that it's from some store.
The way the list is formatted it is like a leaked general spec list used from a online seller, or maybe someone who copied an online seller format and modified :)
This certainly doesn't look like Canon't own list.  "Image Stabilization: No" would only fit for compacts or cameras with sensor stabilization (i.e. Olympus, Sony cameras).  Similar problem with the "digital zoom" category.

Perhaps it's intentional reverse psychology (who knows what extent somebody will go to in order to fool people), but it appears that an "original list" was butchered (carelessly?) in losing parts.  For example:

"Articulated LCD Fixed"
Missing punctuation (or just sloppy).

Plausible:
- Same viewfinder unit as the 1Ds III, 1D Mark IV (hopefully with the same large view as the 1Ds due to the sensor size, however).
- 640x480 doesn't seem as useful as a voice note function but could be used for much the same purpose.  Depends on how simple or difficult (menu-reliant) it would be to set it up.
- "Clip mode yes" - on a similar note, while retaining the old 640x480 mode isn't unthinkable, what stands out here is that this feature is for the lower-end cameras so far.  It would be a reversal of the "take pictures while shooting movies" modes of previous cameras, though a dedicated movie mode button makes it thinkable (ergonomically, I'm sure it would mess with the claimed continuous mode speed).  I suppose it's possible for Canon to simply include the clip movie factory aspect of previous lower end cameras, though its actual value seems slight.  I don't think this is an area where there has to be a tradeoff with some other feature, however - this should be mainly a firmware feature.

Implausible:
- The SD/SDHC spec could just be another typo, or just an old habit.  However I would expect online retailers are going to list SDXC when it's available; should already be listed with some cameras...

Overall, it does make sense that the first of the Canon cameras to be announced would be a 1D Mark V, instead of a 5D Mark III, due to attrition of potential high end sales by the lower-end.  It's not at all a certain bet though.

Also, with the sort of incredible throughput claimed (I haven't tried any math to see if 1080p120 and 32mpix are in the same ballpark in terms of throughput, partly due to uncertainty about the bitrate of the codec used), this might explain why some people have claimed dual DIGIC V processors are going to be used in some cameras.  That initially seemed wasteful to me, but perhaps less so than producing higher-frequency or dedicated multicore style units for higher end cameras (which would be wasteful on cheaper, crippled cameras with cores or frequency locked out or lowered, though lower camera designs might still allow use of DIGIC IV).  Here, however, there is no explicit mention of how many processors there are, let alone the DIGIC V's internal design, though it seems most likely that just one is meant (as the 7D spec sheets don't simply say "DIGIC IV," but rather "dual DIGIC IV").

I am thinking that the chip could be a new Sony design...we'll know later.  If it's Canon's own design, they are in a good position.  If not...

Edwin Herdman

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2011, 01:02:46 PM »
I also don't think they'd downgrade speed from the 10FPS of the ID Mark III and IV. Speed is paramount for a sports shooter. 1 extra frame per second could be the different between getting, and not getting the shot.
Yes, but then one should hope for 11 fps, or 12 fps, or something higher, of course - the data throughput of the system, dictated in large part by the need to pull the full 32mp of data repeatedly, is going to be the limiting factor here, not marketing / usefulness / wishes.

I recall somebody stating (not sure if a quote of a made-up source) a 240MB/sec throughput figure for DIGIC V, perhaps per chip, which doesn't fit squarely with either 9.1 or 10 fps and this sensor size.  There may be some other part of the pipeline throttling that transfer rate.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2011, 01:43:32 PM »
It looks like a fabrication by someone who never owned or used a 1 series camera and could not recognize when he put in geatures that are already better in the 1 series bodies.

Its not remotely believable.

EOS 5D Mark III

« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2011, 02:33:57 PM »
I think that anybody who reads these kind of forums could have made up these specs...  ???

trulandphoto

• PowerShot G1 X II
  • Upstate NY attorney and photographer
    • View Profile
    • TrulandPhoto
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2011, 04:23:16 PM »
I agree it looks like BS. How can an LCD screen be both articulated and fixed?

ssrdd

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »
Again H.264 ...........!!!!!!
canon grow-up.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: August 06, 2011, 04:34:31 PM »

dilbert

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 06, 2011, 04:40:17 PM »
Format looks consistent with something like, oh, I dunno, doing a  copy of the information from a page like the dpreview spec list page using the mouse. I'm not saying it's from them, but that sort of format/content rip is why there is a "Articulated LCD Fixed" line.

I think that this *IS* the 1D MarkV - or at the very worst, it *IS* the complete spec read out of one of the units that Canon has out in the field being evaluated.

Where do you see the 1D series camera the most? In the hands of sports photographers. Do they (for example) care about AEB? No.

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »
I think that anybody who reads these kind of forums could have made up these specs...  ???

Actually, most of our readers could do better  :)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: August 06, 2011, 05:42:43 PM »