April 16, 2014, 12:07:03 PM

Author Topic: Best Point & Shoot that will fit in a pocket?  (Read 6524 times)

jpimntl

• PowerShot G16
  • Impossible is Nothing. Just Do It
    • View Profile
    • Puerto Rico Wedding Photography | Carrusel Digital
Best Point & Shoot that will fit in a pocket?
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »
Hello,

I'm looking for a great small camera.

I've been looking at:
Canon PowerShot S110
Panasonic DMC-LX7
Sony Cyber-shot RX100, which is a little steep on price.

I basically want a point and shoot to have with me every day. Something to shoot street, meetings, and whatever else that steps in my way. Which one would You choose? or any new recommendation?

Best,
Jin

canon rumors FORUM

Best Point & Shoot that will fit in a pocket?
« on: April 28, 2013, 05:12:28 PM »

Canon-F1

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
Re: Best Point & Shoot that will fit in a pocket?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 05:26:32 PM »
Sony RX 100.
6D, 5D MK2, 7D, 550D... a lot of Glass.

sdsr

• 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 05:33:58 PM »
The Sony - tiny (exactly the same size as the Canon S95, which should in turn be the same size as the S110), but with a sensor that provides near-APS-C quality, including low light performance.  By far the best point-and-shoot I've ever used and as far as I know it's still without a serious rival.  (I've not used one, but I assume the Sony RX-1, with its full-frame sensor, is much better still, but to me $2800 seems a bit much for a camera with a non-interchangeable prime lens.)

jpimntl

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 05:51:41 PM »
Thanks a lot!

jpimntl

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:06:44 PM »
The Sony - tiny (exactly the same size as the Canon S95, which should in turn be the same size as the S110), but with a sensor that provides near-APS-C quality, including low light performance.  By far the best point-and-shoot I've ever used and as far as I know it's still without a serious rival.  (I've not used one, but I assume the Sony RX-1, with its full-frame sensor, is much better still, but to me $2800 seems a bit much for a camera with a non-interchangeable prime lens.)

That RX-1 is quite impressive. Pocket monster.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:38:00 PM »
I have and really like my S100. If I needed to replace it today, I'd get the Sony RX-100.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

dslrdummy

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »
I have the RX100 and recommend it as the take everywhere option you are seeking. Probably a bit unkind to call it a point and shoot, more of a compact with enough configurability for the needs of most enthusiasts. Worth the rather hefty price imo. If you're like me and shoot with a decent dslr most of the time you probably won't be prepared to compromise too much on image quality just for the convenience of having a pocketable camera.
5D3, 5DC, 24-105, 50 1.8 II, 70-200 2.8 II, 400 5.6, Tamron 19-35, 1.4x III, 2x III, 580EXII, Sony RX100

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:05 PM »

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2013, 09:49:44 PM »

That RX-1 is quite impressive. Pocket monster.

It's very nice to shoot with and I enjoy it very much(see pic below).

@ Op - You want want to try Fuji X100s. IQ is very good.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 09:53:53 PM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

tapanit

• PowerShot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2013, 10:57:09 PM »
I'm going to get a Ricoh GR as soon as it hits the shops:
http://www.dpreview.com/products/Ricoh/compacts/ricoh_gr

Now I'm using Ricoh GRD 3, and the only complaint I have with it is poor high ISO performance of the small sensor. The new GR promises to fix that. An obvious alternative is Nikon Coolpix A, with very similar specs (a bit thicker, very different user interface - I love Ricoh's UI).

expatinasia

• 1D Mark IV
  • everything is possible, just do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 12:06:55 AM »

Dylan777 - does that mean your wife eventually gave you your RX 1 back, or did you have to go out and buy a second?  ;D

I agree with the other posters who recommend the Sony. If I were buying one today I would buy the RX 100. I would love the RX 1, but I have other, more important things on the shopping list.
1D X + backup + different L lenses etc.

pwp

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 12:19:04 AM »
This question is one of the old chestnuts. But there are always new answers as it's a rapidly evolving area.

Not quite pocket sized, but I had a Canon G15 bought after reading a number of glowing reviews. My style of photography is very much about the moment, and the G15, while competent delivered a moment just after the moment I chose. It's called lag. This will apply to most of the pocket compacts, so it's something to be aware of so as not to be disappointed with results.

My other gripe with the G15 which I believe shares its sensor with the S100 & S110 was the dynamic range. When you're used to FF DR, the easily blown highlights and blocked up shadows sucked a bit of the joy out of the experience. This is no fault of the camera, it is all to do with my unreasonable expectations. I no longer own the G15.

So I concur with others and would look to the Sony RX100. There are reviews all over the web, mostly extremely positive. A useful, independent mirrorless/compact destination is the refreshingly entertaining and informative Steve Huff. Take a look.  http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/

-PW

« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 12:21:22 AM by pwp »

MARKOE PHOTOE

• Rebel T5i
  • A better box of crayons makes the job easier...
    • View Profile
    • http://www.markoe.smugmug.com
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 12:23:13 AM »
RX100 of the three selected is by far superior in IQ to at least the S110 in my experience.  Have not used the LX7 but from I've heard from another user its not that good in low light. 

The S110 is not bad at all but not as good in low light and color rendition than the RX100.  I do however like the smaller size of the S110.  While the body of both the RX100 and the S110 are very similar the lens of the RX100 even while closed sticks out about 1/4".

A few cameras and lenses and a lot of creative energy and imagination.

Dylan777

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • http://www.dylanphotography.phanfare.com/
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

Dylan777 - does that mean your wife eventually gave you your RX 1 back, or did you have to go out and buy a second;D

I agree with the other posters who recommend the Sony. If I were buying one today I would buy the RX 100. I would love the RX 1, but I have other, more important things on the shopping list.

@ expatinasia -  I went out and bought 2 more RX1, one for home and one for work :P.........I'm just kidding ;D ;D ;D

My next trip to Hong Kong & China is end of this May. I might get X100s as my travel camera. 
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 09:11:45 AM by Dylan777 »
Body: 5D III(x2) -- A7r
Zoom: 16-35L II -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 50L -- 85L II -- 135L -- 400L f2.8 IS II -- Zeiss FE 55mm f1.8

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 09:05:09 AM »

distant.star

• 1D X
    • View Profile
    • Tracy's Shooting Gallery
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 09:39:39 AM »
My style of photography is very much about the moment, and the G15, while competent delivered a moment just after the moment I chose. It's called lag. This will apply to most of the pocket compacts, so it's something to be aware of so as not to be disappointed with results.

Wonderfully well said!! I've learned to push the button a half-second before "the moment" with my S95.

Don't leave home without it.
Walter: Were you listening to The Dude's story? Donny: I was bowling. Walter: So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...

Hobby Shooter

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »
I have an S100 that I like very much, great flexibility with settimgs and also shoots good video. My brother in law has an RX100 that I tried and it's clearly a step up, especially when it comes to focusing faster, but it's slightly bigger and doesn't slip into a jeans pocket as easy. Both are very good choices though.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 10:02:57 AM »