December 20, 2014, 09:52:45 AM

Author Topic: Back to the Future Parts 1/2/3 Canon Strategy  (Read 9576 times)

Singsling

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Back to the Future Parts 1/2/3 Canon Strategy
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »
Welcome to the part 1 thread which deals with Entry Level and Camera's for the Novice. Part 2 will address Amatuer and Enthusiast users. Part 3 will address Advanced user and Pro Camera.

The Idea is to discuss Canon strategy for these three groups so that we as the consumer can take benefit.

So I will start with my take, parts 2 and 3 will be started in one and two weeks time respectively.

Assumptions that Canon has made:

1. The Smart Phone and Tablet Market will advance and grow to the point where it more or less destroys the Point and Shoot/CSC/Mirrorless market this process will take around 5 years. What customer wants to carry or use up the space of 2 portable devices in their Handbags. We must prepare and protect ourselves for this.
2. There has to be a differentiator What is it: Everyone aspires to be a photographer, people who walk around with Smart Phones and Tablets are not photographers they are simply casual tourists or they are out with their friends having a good time. A real photographer carries a DSLR. OK we found it! Carrying A DSLR is a lifestyle statement it sets Photographers apart from the SP/T users, everyone in the world realises this difference, so as all as we have to do is feed and maintain this differentiator and we stay in Business.
3. We are the Market Leader and to a great extent we will ignore what our competition is doing, we will follow our Strategy through the peaks and troughs and in the end we will survive and still be market leader. We believe this wholeheartedly.
4. Our current and our competitors product range is all over the place, first thing we need to do is standardise the products we sell for each market segment.

Let the story begin welcome to the Back to the Future Part 1 thread relating to Entry Level Camera's for the Novice
« Last Edit: April 28, 2013, 11:33:07 PM by Singsling »
5D3, 100D, shorty 40, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8Mk2L, 70-200 2.8 MK2L, 100 2.8 MK2L

canon rumors FORUM

Back to the Future Parts 1/2/3 Canon Strategy
« on: April 28, 2013, 09:51:27 PM »

Singsling

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Back to the Future Parts 1/2/3 Canon Strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 10:10:10 PM »
Forget the EOS M it is not a DSLR and is therefore doomed in accordance with the "lifestyle" theory
Forget the EOS 1100D It's a Dog.
The new 100D is small compact and has good features for an entry level camera, going to be a best seller when word gets around.

550D At the time of its release was a real winner and cash cow for Canon, sold like hot cakes and rightly so great value for the consumer. 600D and 650D where simply an evolution of this as is the 700D.

Canon Strategy:
So the only 2 Cameras that should remain in this segment for entry level and novice users are 100D and 700D or there evolutions, there is enough difference in specification of these 2 units to warrant the difference in cost. Over time we will make small improvements to these products so that they stay current and relevant. We will not improve the specifications significantly or they will eat into the next segment (for Amatuer and Enthusiast)

So Guys and Girls what do you think?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:16:04 AM by Singsling »
5D3, 100D, shorty 40, 50 1.2L, 16-35 2.8L, 24-70 2.8Mk2L, 70-200 2.8 MK2L, 100 2.8 MK2L

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 11:31:58 PM »
I'm not really sure what the point of this thread is supposed to be.

The trends in the point and shoot market are obvious to everyone. All manufacturers are trying to figure out how to adapt to the smart phone competition.

It's pretty clear from Canon's recent introductions – Power Shot N, SX50, EOS M, SL1, G1-X – that Canon is experimenting with a number of niche market formats targeted to specific audiences. What's also clear is that they do not believe the future is going to found in less options, but rather in more.

Canon doesn't have a crystal ball that works any better than any other manufacturer's. They seem to be positioning themselves to be able to take advantage of the market no matter what direction it goes. Frankly, I think their flexibility will probably serve them well in the long run.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Singsling

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 11:36:51 PM »
Thankyou Unfocused, the point of the thread is to obtain valuable comments such as yours.

wickidwombat

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 11:45:30 PM »

Don't worry you're not alone
APS-H Fanboy

pdirestajr

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • flickr
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 01:51:03 AM »
What does this have to do with Back to the Future?

After reading this thread, I'm gonna "make like a tree and get out of here."
7D | 5DII | EOS-3 | Nikon F3 | Mamiya 645 Pro-TL

Skulker

• Canon 6D
  • PP is no vice and as shot is no virtue
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:31 AM »
Thankyou Unfocused, the point of the thread is to obtain valuable comments such as yours.

Really singsling? Are you sure it's not so you can make loads of assumptions and try to say how clever you are? I'm not sure if your post is supposed to be funny by being provocatively daft, or if you really think you have an insight into canons thinking.
If you debate with a fool onlookers can find it VERY difficult to tell the difference.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:31 AM »

CanNotYet

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2013, 02:30:24 AM »
I rather like this idea of the thread. Let's just hope no one comes along and hijacks it with pointless DR/Sonikon/MFT/Fuji trolling :)

To totally go against my first point, I SERIOUSLY doubt that Canon is ignorant and/or does not care what the competition does. In fact I think they constantly are on the watch for what takes off in the markets. Depending on the results, they might have a hard time responding (EOS-M anyone?), but they will certainly try.

Another route I think they might take, as they are one of the few companies that manufacture imaging chips, is to cut down on models like A and Ixus, and instead sell the chips directly to Samsung and Apple to put in the phones. A phone marketed with a camera "made by Canon" in it, could sell very well.

My 0.02$

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2013, 02:35:24 AM »

Don't worry you're not alone

+1

Maybe the OP could explain the critical differences that make the 1100D a 'dog' and the 550D 'a real winner'
 ::)

Ellen Schmidtee

• Canon 6D
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2013, 02:55:33 AM »
I disagree.

Smart phones' cameras are improving all the time, but size limitations means it will never be as good as MILCs. MILCs have a size advantage over DSLRs.

IMHO, the P&S market will be crushed between smart phones & MILCs. Those who want to carry the least will buy a smart phone, and settle on camera IQ, and those who aren't willing to settle on camera IQ will buy a MILC, and carry some extra weight.

Question is how will the market split between MILCs and DSLRs.

This is what, IMVHO, Canon should do:

1. Invest in sensors, lenses, and image processing software for smart phones.

2. Invest in the EOS-M line, e.g. more lenses & improve AF.

3. Reduce the number of DSLR lines. My guess is the EOS-M line is going to kill the entry level lines (xxxxD & xxxD).

4. Higher DSLR lines will have higher prices and/or longer lifecycles to compensate for lost sales due to 3.

Singsling

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2013, 03:10:59 AM »
Cor blimey it's tough in here isn't it. I started out a poor boy and never had a Camera, as I grew up I managed to take 1 decent photo of a Datsun 240Z with a backdrop of tree's and a nice road scene I used a cheap something or other. Having done this I was a convert and vowed to myself I would own a decent Camera one day. I used to look in the Windows of Camera shops and Catalogues and drool.

Just over 2 Years ago I purchased a 550D and it changed my world, I never stopped shooting, went on corses, read books shot more and more. My hit rate steadily improved to where it is today and I am not poor anymore and own a 5D3 and several good lenses. I love taking Photographs but by the standards of the ones displayed in this forum I consider myself still a novice.

For about 2 years I have been an avid reader of this forum and never contributed, but learnt a lot from the various articles and advice that you find in here as I said I look in awe at the beautiful Photo's contained within.

I thought I would make a contribution and believe me it took some courage to do. I thought I would start by trying to create a descussion from the viewpoint of Canon and the future and then see what you the members thought. But it is clear to see that I have been slain, so I will now withdraw.

Best Regards

Gary

sorry Ellen your constructive post came in during the same time I was posting, thankyou.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:21:06 AM by Singsling »

paul13walnut5

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2013, 03:46:34 AM »
Welcome to the part 1 thread which deals with Entry Level and Camera's for the Novice. Part 2 will address Amatuer and Enthusiast users. Part 3 will address Advanced user and Pro Camera.

The Idea is to discuss Canon strategy for these three groups so that we as the consumer can take benefit.

So I will start with my take, parts 2 and 3 will be started in one and two weeks time respectively.

Assumptions that Canon has made:

Let the story begin welcome to the Back to the Future Part 1 thread relating to Entry Level Camera's for the Novice

Assumptions you have made.

1. That it isn't just all about money.

Plenty of folk making very nice images on budget gear.  Plenty of monied noviced churning out crap on top end gear.

Assumptions I will make:

Unless it's got a single number (and that number is 1) then it's not been designed with the rigors of working professional use in mind.

My 7d is lovely, the 5d3 is lovely.  But handle even a 1dmk2 and the difference is clear.

The market entry point to any consumer good isn't ability, it's money.

sandymandy

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:57:44 AM »
Forget the EOS M it is not a DSLR and is therefore doomed in accordance with the "lifestyle" theory

Noooo i love my 1100D. It was the best option i could afford! Problem about 100D is the price. It costs like 800$ or something like that, a lot more than rebels. Not a good entry price at all.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2013, 03:57:44 AM »

candyman

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2013, 04:04:17 AM »
Cor blimey it's tough in here isn't it. I started out a poor boy and never had a Camera, as I grew up I managed to take 1 decent photo of a Datsun 240Z with a backdrop of tree's and a nice road scene I used a cheap something or other. Having done this I was a convert and vowed to myself I would own a decent Camera one day. I used to look in the Windows of Camera shops and Catalogues and drool.

Just over 2 Years ago I purchased a 550D and it changed my world, I never stopped shooting, went on corses, read books shot more and more. My hit rate steadily improved to where it is today and I am not poor anymore and own a 5D3 and several good lenses. I love taking Photographs but by the standards of the ones displayed in this forum I consider myself still a novice.

For about 2 years I have been an avid reader of this forum and never contributed, but learnt a lot from the various articles and advice that you find in here as I said I look in awe at the beautiful Photo's contained within.

I thought I would make a contribution and believe me it took some courage to do. I thought I would start by trying to create a descussion from the viewpoint of Canon and the future and then see what you the members thought. But it is clear to see that I have been slain, so I will now withdraw.

Best Regards

Gary

sorry Ellen your constructive post came in during the same time I was posting, thankyou.

I am sorry you withdraw.
I am not sure about the title of this thread but I find it an interesting discussion. I too like to see peoples opinions on where development of cameras (DSLR) will go in the world of tablets, smartphones (zeislenses etc), MILC.

5DIII w/grip  |  6D  |  16-35L IS  |  24-105L  |  24-70 VC  |  70-200 f/2.8L IS II  |  70-300L  |  35 f/2 IS  |  50A  |  135L  |  1.4x III

Sporgon

• 5% of gear used 95% of the time
    • View Profile
    • www.buildingpanoramics.com
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »

Noooo i love my 1100D. It was the best option i could afford! Problem about 100D is the price. It costs like 800$ or something like that, a lot more than rebels. Not a good entry price at all.

And it's also a gnats whisker different from other Rebels such as the 550D in reality.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2013, 04:07:57 AM »