December 21, 2014, 07:54:21 PM

Author Topic: Canon refurb sale...what happened?  (Read 2788 times)

billnelson75

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Canon refurb sale...what happened?
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »
So I got an email from a price notification website that Canon was having a refurb sale yesterday.  I went on and the sale was on the website and on all the product pages.  I placed an order, my CC was charged and I got an email confirmation.  I went back today to see what was still available and the sale is gone (Canon's website said it would run to May 4), and I looked at my order and Canon has cancelled my order, but of course, I haven't received any such notification or a refund on my CC.

Anyone else have this happen to them?  Any advice?  It wasn't a crazy deal or anything, spend $100 save $10, spend $250 save $50, spend $500 save $125.

canon rumors FORUM

Canon refurb sale...what happened?
« on: April 29, 2013, 07:01:31 AM »

backcountrygirl

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
Re: Canon refurb sale...what happened?
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2013, 02:14:03 PM »
I'd give them a call. That sale is still on the website as on 11am Pacific Time
Canon 5D Mark III, Canon 7D, Canon 100mm 2.8 IS L Macro, Canon 70-200mm 2.8 II IS L, Canon 300mm 4.0 IS L, Canon 10-22mm IS, Canon 24-105mm 4.0 IS L, Canon 1.4 Extender III, Canon 24mm II 3.5 Tilt Shift L, Canon 17-40mm 4.0 IS L, ( 2 ) Canon EX-600

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 02:21:11 PM »
The sale still shows up.  Sometimes, a product is sold out by multiple buyers processing orders at the same time, Canon sells maybe hundreds or thousands of some lenses.  They cancel the orders they can't fill if this happens.

This happened to me with the super popular 70-200mm f/2.8L MK II.  The next time it was on sale, I bought it in time.

billnelson75

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2013, 03:32:32 PM »
The sale still shows up.  Sometimes, a product is sold out by multiple buyers processing orders at the same time, Canon sells maybe hundreds or thousands of some lenses.  They cancel the orders they can't fill if this happens.

This happened to me with the super popular 70-200mm f/2.8L MK II.  The next time it was on sale, I bought it in time.

I called and the rep didn't have any idea what happened.  Then she said it was out of stock so she couldn't put in my order.  She offered to honor the sale once it comes back in stock.  I'm curious, did you get an email from Canon letting you know what happened?  Or did they just cancel your order?  That seems like pretty poor customer service.  At the least I should have gotten an email that says, "Sorry we weren't able to fill your order".  Plus they charged me, which is also strange.  Just frustrating.  I thought I was getting a 600ex this week, I guess not!

bseitz234

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
    • BrianSeitzPhoto
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2013, 04:38:27 PM »

I called and the rep didn't have any idea what happened.  Then she said it was out of stock so she couldn't put in my order.  She offered to honor the sale once it comes back in stock.  I'm curious, did you get an email from Canon letting you know what happened?  Or did they just cancel your order?  That seems like pretty poor customer service.  At the least I should have gotten an email that says, "Sorry we weren't able to fill your order".  Plus they charged me, which is also strange.  Just frustrating.  I thought I was getting a 600ex this week, I guess not!

This happened to me around Christmas time... bought a refurb 7D and 70-200 2.8 non-is. They cancelled the whole thing, I called, the 70-200 was out of stock and the 7d was no longer on sale, but they wouldn't honor the sale price even though they cancelled the 7d because the 70-200 was out of stock.

Long story short, I got the 7D for refurb sale price (which had expired), and a new 70-200 for less than refurb price. So, might as well call and ask for a manager...
7D x2
70-200 f/2.8L - 17-55 f/2.8 IS - 10-22 f/3.5-4.5 - 85 f/1.8 - 50 f/1.4 - 28 f/1.8
580ex II - 2x 430ex II

unfocused

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
    • Unfocused: A photo website
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2013, 04:45:51 PM »
I think there was a problem with the website this morning. When I got up, I checked it to see if the 600 R-T was back in stock. They showed that almost everything was back in stock, but no sale prices.

Then, a half-hour later, the sale prices were back but the strobes (and most other items) were listed as sold out.

I guess I got lucky, because yesterday morning I ordered two 600 R-Ts. I got a confirmation e-mail and so far, no cancellation. I wanted to order four, but also wanted to break the order up in order to maximize the savings. I got two ordered and then when I went to order the next two, they were sold out. I'll just have to wait until the next time.

I'm always a little suspicious of how Canon USA handles the refurbished sales. For weeks before a sale, they will have a product in stock and then as soon as the sale starts, things are immediately out of stock. Then the sale ends and suddenly products are back in stock again.

On the other hand, the prices are so good and the sales so frequent that I really can't complain too much even if they are manipulating their stock levels, which I strongly suspect they are.
pictures sharp. life not so much. www.unfocusedmg.com

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

My order did not go thru and I was not charged.

I'd wait until they have their 20% off sale, its a much better deal than $125 off.  Its also much harder to snag one.  You need to wait up until midnight Saturday night (Sale starts Sunday mornings).  Then, you have a good chance.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 04:46:12 PM »

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »
The 70-200mm f/2.8L MK II shows back in stock fro $1699 today.  They may not last long, we can't tell how many they have.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2013, 04:33:33 PM »