October 31, 2014, 09:16:41 PM

Author Topic: What is the "sweetspot" for the 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro & the 70-200mm f/4L USM  (Read 14426 times)

Mt Spokane Photography

• EF 50mm F 0.7 IS
    • View Profile
WoW many useful SWEET SPOT from jrista

Yes, Last August! 

Welcome to Canon Rumors.  You should learn to look at the dates of the original posts. Old posts may no loonger be relavent.

Feel free to post some useful information, even starting your own topic.

if you don´t want old posts to pop up at the top... why not just close them after some time?
otherwise i don´t see a reason for such a reply.

Do you understand that the OP was asking for help last August??

Do you think that answering now is going to help him??

canon rumors FORUM

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile

Yes, Last August! 

Welcome to Canon Rumors.  You should learn to look at the dates of the original posts. Old posts may no loonger be relavent.

if you don´t want old posts to pop up at the top... why not just close them after some time?

I didn't get a good answer the last go round... so maybe (as I'm the OP).  Having said that, I did find the answer. 
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • EOL
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography

Yes, Last August! 

I didn't get a good answer the last go round... so maybe (as I'm the OP).  Having said that, I did find the answer.

In all honesty, the quickest and relatively cheap way to answer that question is to buy Reikan FoCal, and run your lenses through the Aperture test. It will take a series of shots at each aperture, measure them (I believe it just does an L/PH evaluation, but it might be something more like SQF), and plot the results on a chart. At the end, it will strait up tell you which aperture produces the best quality on YOUR GEAR. :)

jdramirez

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
In all honesty, the quickest and relatively cheap way to answer that question is to buy Reikan FoCal, and run your lenses through the Aperture test. It will take a series of shots at each aperture, measure them (I believe it just does an L/PH evaluation, but it might be something more like SQF), and plot the results on a chart. At the end, it will strait up tell you which aperture produces the best quality on YOUR GEAR. :)

What I found is that the 100mm I have is a really nice lens... so I can shoot at 2.8 or 8, and I will be more than happy with the results.  I think that is partly why I'm not willing to part with my 50mm f/1.4... because I'd much rather have a lens that is sharp with good results at any aperture rather than having to always stop down the 50 to f/2.8 to get decent results.
Upgrade  path.->means the former was sold for the latter.

XS->60D->5d Mkiii:18-55->24-105L:75-300->55-250->70-300->70-200 f4L USM->70-200 f/2.8L USM->70-200 f/2.8L IS Mkii:50 f/1.8->50 f/1.4->100L->85mm f/1.8 USM-> 8mm ->100L & 85L

canon rumors FORUM