November 23, 2014, 07:21:41 PM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download  (Read 32931 times)

cocopop05

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »
Just upgraded my camera to the new firmware.  I can confirm with the 600ex-rt, the autofocus with AF Assist beam is indeed noticeably faster.

Also noticed a small interface change.  Before the update when you turn the camera on you would get an almost fullscreen icon of the sensor cleaning process.  After the update, you get the Q screen with a small animated icon in the bottom right corner showing the sensor cleaning process is active.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2013, 07:25:08 AM »

gbchriste

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2013, 07:41:32 AM »
Was hoping they were going to fix the black AF points to illuminate them. Had a really, really hard time a couple of nights ago doing some nighttime street photography. Frequently impossible to find the active AF point unless you turn the camera toward a light colored background. :(

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2013, 07:47:36 AM »
Heh, it appears that this firmware has been on Canon New Zealand's website since 18 April... I should have checked earlier, but I had a bunch of paid shoots to do and it wasn't the right time to mess around with firmware.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2013, 07:47:50 AM »
Was hoping they were going to fix the black AF points to illuminate them. Had a really, really hard time a couple of nights ago doing some nighttime street photography. Frequently impossible to find the active AF point unless you turn the camera toward a light colored background. :(

AF Oneshot is a lot more accurate in low light...plus one can see which AF point is illuminated.
There's a vast array of different ways of using the AF system on the 5DIII, I'm sure with a little exerimentation a workable solution can be found for your style and genre of photography.

crazyrunner33

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2013, 07:56:11 AM »
waiting on EOSHD to do a full test, but so far his early conclusions is that the uncompressed HDMI only yields minor improvements. If this is the case, the soft output of the 5DmkIII compared to other cameras, as documented on many of his tests, may in fact be impossible to fix with a firmware update, at least one from canon.

Meh, there's just a little more color information and the signal is far from uncompressed when using the HDMI output.  Magic Lantern is working on a true RAW and 14 bit video recording along with 4:2:2 to the card, something we'll never see from Canon.

Inspiron41

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
Any difference between this firmware and the one that was released just last week?

CarpetFeet

• Power Shot G7X
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »
Will I lose all my custom settings when performing this upgrade?

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2013, 08:12:57 AM »

Rat

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 30, 2013, 08:31:56 AM »
I want the f/8 and bought a 2x mk II extender in anticipation, but I'm going to lose a lot of usability on my 4 third party batteries. Grunt.
Fed up with brandism.

preppyak

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2013, 08:56:32 AM »
Magic Lantern is working on a true RAW and 14 bit video recording along with 4:2:2 to the card, something we'll never see from Canon.
And they've already said it will never be something that will work for video people...best they've gotten so far is 720 at 24fps for 2s...the reality is you'll never get long recording times because the camera has a buffer to deal with. 1080p wont happen.

Really, it's an upgrade for time lapsers and may have some cool other uses.

If this is the case, the soft output of the 5DmkIII compared to other cameras, as documented on many of his tests, may in fact be impossible to fix with a firmware update, at least one from canon.
That said, what they did find interesting was that the resolution of the DNGs they got from their RAW mode were way higher resolution than just the traditional h.264 video stream from Canon. Not sure if that means that Canon intentionally is crippling it, or if the h.264 encoding loses a lot of resolution, but, that could be useful for some purposes.

Of course, if you want Raw video at 2k, you'd just spend the same amount on a BMCC instead and get a much nicer workflow.

Bosman

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
    • Bosman Photography
« Reply #24 on: April 30, 2013, 09:13:07 AM »
Fixes a phenomenon, na naaaa na nana. Phenomenon, na nana na.
Bosman Photography www.bosmanphotography.com, Fast Photo Pro www.fastphotopro.com
Follow Bosman Photography on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Bosman.Photography
Sports Photography  Follow Fast Photo Pro on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/Fast.Photo.Pr

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2013, 09:25:27 AM »
Sounds butt kicking!!! But I don't have one...

But, this bodes well for the 7D mk II!!!
What is truth?

Lee Jay

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 30, 2013, 09:35:15 AM »
Enables the center AF point to autofocus when the camera is used with Canon EF lens/extender combinations whose combined maximum aperture is f/8.

Question for owners.

Has anyone tried the f/8 AF system with f/2.8 lenses with stacked teleconverters?
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 09:37:25 AM by Lee Jay »

jaayres20

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »
I have two 5D3s and I updated one of them and left the other alone for now.  I don't have my 70-200 or 24-70 with me right now but I notice a huge difference in AF speed with my 50mm 1.2 with the 600ex-rt AF lamp.  The 50mm 1.2 is a dog in low light and I almost never used it at wedding receptions because of it.  This seems to have made a considerable amount of difference.  Not only does it acquire focus faster it also seems like it drives the lens a little faster.  Maybe I am just imagining that part.  I tested them back to back just to make sure and it is the way you would expect it to be with such good camera with great AF capabilities. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2013, 09:57:11 AM »

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2013, 10:10:15 AM »
Also noticed a small interface change.  Before the update when you turn the camera on you would get an almost fullscreen icon of the sensor cleaning process.  After the update, you get the Q screen with a small animated icon in the bottom right corner showing the sensor cleaning process is active.

I'm not seeing this on my copy; I still get the same fullscreen animated icon when I power on and power off.

However, I have noticed that, with auto sensor cleaning enabled, when I power up / down shortly (i.e., within a few seconds) after the last sensor cleaning cycle, the auto-cleaning doesn't engage. Seems like there must be a timer that skips the cleaning within xx seconds of the last cleaning cycle. (If this isn't new behavior, I just never noticed it before.)
Photographic equipment

JonAustin

• Canon 70D
  • Telecom / IT consultant and occasional pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »
15. Removed "support" for 3rd party batteries...

Really?

You can still use them, but you get a warning and they are shown as 100% charged.

The 6D firmware already has this "feature" ::)...  Somewhat annoying, but I still use my 3rd party batteries.  I just have to make sure I always carry a charged spare, since I can't tell how much juice the one in my camera has.

Is this for ANY third-party batteries?

It's true for my Pearstone battery, which I received in a 5D Mark III package deal from B&H in December. IMHO, removing features through firmware updates -- especially when biased against 3rd-party manufacturers -- is NOT cool.
Photographic equipment

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2013, 10:14:10 AM »