July 30, 2014, 09:44:20 AM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download  (Read 29507 times)

bk-productions

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »
15. Removed "support" for 3rd party batteries...

Really?

You can still use them, but you get a warning and they are shown as 100% charged.

But that's really annoying...

So, why are there two versions for windows in the canon usa site http://usa.canon.com/cusa/professional/products/professional_cameras/digital_slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware ?

The firmware is packeg in a .dmg for OSX and a .zip for Windows.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2013, 10:25:45 AM »

spinworkxroy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2013, 11:13:41 AM »

Yes, this is true unfortunately..All my 3rd party batteries no longer register with the camera so i won't know how much charge they have left..this really sucks.

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2013, 11:49:59 AM »

Yes, this is true unfortunately..All my 3rd party batteries no longer register with the camera so i won't know how much charge they have left..this really sucks.
Sorry about that. However, I guess as you have a number of batteries, you must have numbered them in order to keep track of them. I am guessing that you have a "bin" for charged batteries and another for uncharged batteries. Keep them fully charged. Always keep a spare. More depending on the shoot. Shoot till the battery dies. Recharge immediately (or as soon as you possibly can...). I think that all you will miss is the flashing battery indicator... As for me, even though I have only Canon batteries, I seldom pay attention to the indicator when I am in the throes of shooting. I usually look at it as an afterthought...

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2013, 12:17:03 PM »

Sorry about that. However, I guess as you have a number of batteries, you must have numbered them in order to keep track of them. I am guessing that you have a "bin" for charged batteries and another for uncharged batteries. Keep them fully charged. Always keep a spare. More depending on the shoot. Shoot till the battery dies. Recharge immediately (or as soon as you possibly can...). I think that all you will miss is the flashing battery indicator... As for me, even though I have only Canon batteries, I seldom pay attention to the indicator when I am in the throes of shooting. I usually look at it as an afterthought...

When you are shooting video if the battery conks out when you are rolling you are very likely to lose the current shot. It can be recovered with voodoo but its not easy.

No audio on the HDMI out makes that feature less useful for recording as well. You'll need to use a good slate and / or roll the recorder and record on internal then try to match the TC in post. Very disappointed that they hyped this feature and failed to mention the NO AUDIO part. Nikon / Sony HDMI out has audio.

clifton425

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2013, 12:23:14 PM »
Having read the comments about 3rd party batteries, I switched to the Canon battery before doing the firmware update.

When I put the Pearstone battery in I did get the screen saying: "Communication with this LP-E6 battery is irregular. Continue to use this battery?"
After answering yes, the camera went on to operate normally. The battery levels and charge capabilities are functioning and unchanged from before the firmware update. I only get the Communication screen one time after putting in the Pearstone battery, further camera restarts do not bring up the Communication screen. Removing and replacing the Pearstone battery does bring up the Communication screen, but again, only one time. So it appears that there are some chip differences among 3rd party LP-E6 compatible batteries. (BTW the Pearstone came from B&H)

After the completing the firmware update all my previous custom settings were still in place and unchanged including all my microfocus adjustments.

rpt

• Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2013, 12:41:53 PM »

When you are shooting video if the battery conks out when you are rolling you are very likely to lose the current shot. It can be recovered with voodoo but its not easy.

No audio on the HDMI out makes that feature less useful for recording as well. You'll need to use a good slate and / or roll the recorder and record on internal then try to match the TC in post. Very disappointed that they hyped this feature and failed to mention the NO AUDIO part. Nikon / Sony HDMI out has audio.
Roger, sorry, I don't shoot video so I am not sure how easy or difficult it is to keep track of shooting time. There could be a correlation there, but you would have to accumulate shooting times some place that is referenceable by the battery you are shooting with, and correlate that with the current aggregated time for that battery. Sorry, can't think of any other solution at this time.

kbmelb

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »
I posted this in the previous 5D3 Firmware thread but thought I put it here.

Eye-Fi users remove the card before updating.

I used a CF card to update but left my Eye-Fi card in the SD slot and my camera bricked. I tried all the usual things, powering on/off, removing battery, grip and nothing worked. With the power switched still set yo off, I removed the Eye-Fi card and the camera powered up to the Firmware screen and it said "Processing." It stayed like that for a while so I pulled and replaced the battery and powered on to normal operation.

Then I was able to update the FW without issue. I inserted the Eye-Fi card without issue.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2013, 12:45:58 PM »

Daniel Flather

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2013, 12:59:11 PM »
I have one of the first 5D3s on the market.  I running the original firmware.  Do I need to update to each firmware to get to the latest, or can I jump right to the last version.  Also, how exactly do I update the firmware?  How do I get it on to the CF card without a card reader?
| 5D3 | 8-15L | 24L II | 35L | 50L | 85L II | 100 macro | 200/2L | EOS M | 22 STM |

AlanF

• 1D Mark IV
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2013, 01:10:53 PM »
I found that the original Canon LP-6 with the correct packaging etc purchased on eBay is a fake, but it still works fine - one unexpected good use of the update!

I tried the 70-200mm f/4 L IS with the Canon 2x TC III. The focussing was fine but the quality is not as good as the 100-400mm at 400mm.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:58:24 PM by AlanF »
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

Camerajah

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2013, 01:20:01 PM »
You can get the focusing point or points highlighted in red but only for a short time after focus is attained
Canon bodies and not enough L lenses

amazin

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 01:32:21 PM »
I have one of the first 5D3s on the market.  I running the original firmware.  Do I need to update to each firmware to get to the latest, or can I jump right to the last version.  Also, how exactly do I update the firmware?  How do I get it on to the CF card without a card reader?

Hi, no you dont need to update  to each firmware, you can jump straight to the latest version.
To update without a card reader, you just need to install the latest version of EOS Utility and plug your 5D3 to your computer via USB. Then just follow the instruction you'll find on a pdf file inside the zip folder of the new firmware.

Hope it can help you and others.

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2013, 01:36:08 PM »

16. Removed the unofficial support that was apparently left in the f/8 firmware improvement for the 1DX that let the 1.4x TC III work with the 70-300L (if you keep it at 300mm). :(   (Kinda ironic that they force you to sell your Canon TC and go buy a Kenko it seems or spend an extra $250 for a Kenko and, assuming it is not as sharp, not get the full performance you should be able to and need to get out of the 70-300L. Still hoping that they will put out a 1.2.2 with 'various minor fixes' and they will support this combo unofficially.) I don't have the 1DX but two people are telling me that they see it report as f/8 and work on their 1DX after they put in the f/8 firmware for that body. Canon removed it from the officially reported list (maybe since the TC only fits if you use it on the long end at 300mm) but apparently left the support code in on the 1DX and seemingly removed it :( when they took six months to otherwise perhaps copy and paste the code over the 5D3.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2013, 01:38:17 PM by LetTheRightLensIn »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »
Will I lose all my custom settings when performing this upgrade?

no

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2013, 01:40:49 PM »

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2013, 01:43:55 PM »
Magic Lantern is working on a true RAW and 14 bit video recording along with 4:2:2 to the card, something we'll never see from Canon.
And they've already said it will never be something that will work for video people...best they've gotten so far is 720 at 24fps for 2s...the reality is you'll never get long recording times because the camera has a buffer to deal with. 1080p wont happen.

Really, it's an upgrade for time lapsers and may have some cool other uses.

If this is the case, the soft output of the 5DmkIII compared to other cameras, as documented on many of his tests, may in fact be impossible to fix with a firmware update, at least one from canon.
That said, what they did find interesting was that the resolution of the DNGs they got from their RAW mode were way higher resolution than just the traditional h.264 video stream from Canon. Not sure if that means that Canon intentionally is crippling it, or if the h.264 encoding loses a lot of resolution, but, that could be useful for some purposes.

Of course, if you want Raw video at 2k, you'd just spend the same amount on a BMCC instead and get a much nicer workflow.

I wonder if they can feed that 'raw' DNG stuff into the h.264 compressor and get better quality out? Or if they can push it out frame by frame over the HDMI and delete each frame from the buffer afterwards so nothing would ever overflow and you could at least get an 8bit or maybe 10bit crisper image out over HDMI? It seems like it should be possible but it's hard to know the internal Canon subsystem, it might not be, or even if it is, it quite likely might require all sorts of knowledge far beyond what they have been able to hack out so far and might only be reasonably doable by Canon people with full docs and access?

LetTheRightLensIn

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »

They released a new manual document warning about counterfeiting along with this improvement to insure that you don't use phony batteries.  ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2013, 01:45:39 PM »