September 17, 2014, 01:41:33 AM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download  (Read 30767 times)

Bruno97

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download
« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 02:16:17 AM »
Hi all,

I've been reading this forum for a while and finally decided to post something today... something weird :
Yesterday, right after the 1.2.1 firmware update, my 5D III set the micro adjustments to -8 (in the option for all the lenses). It was set to 0 before.
By the way, I'm not using the general MA option. I'm using specific MA per lens, which are set between +7 and  +10 depending on the lens mounted on the body.

That sounded weird to me so I made a couple of tests with my 50L. And it seems that my +10 MA settings lead constantly to out of focus pictures.
I made tests with MA set to 0 and even to -8 and it appeared to be much better !

So now I'm wondering what Canon meant by "Fixes a phenomenon in which the camera changes the AF microadjustment value to -8." ?

I'm testing my other lenses today...

Thanks for reading.
Bruno

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #75 on: May 01, 2013, 02:16:17 AM »

Gcon

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 01, 2013, 03:03:50 AM »
Can I attach Canon 1.4x III and 2.0x III extenders to my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM at the same time and still get AF at 560mm f/8, or is this crazy talk?

Also I do a lot of Live View focusing for my landscape work, and always have the focus mode in the contrast detect "Live" mode (not "Quick" or "Face" modes) and it often switches inexplicably to the "Face" mode on it's own. I don't know if they are the correct mode names as I don't have the camera in front of me.  It's a real "phenomenon" though - phenomenally annoying as it means I can't move the focus rectangle to where it needs to be! Anyone else get that?

-Gcon

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 01, 2013, 03:12:58 AM »
This is a shot of a hawk in my garden. shot with the 5D3, 100-400L+1.4x @400 so effective 560mm. I have not yet AFMAed it yet so this was shot with live view. The settings were f8, 1/800, ISO 1600. You will notice that he has had a drink of water in the garden as well. :)

iP337

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 01, 2013, 04:48:27 AM »
Magic Lantern is working on a true RAW and 14 bit video recording along with 4:2:2 to the card, something we'll never see from Canon.
And they've already said it will never be something that will work for video people...best they've gotten so far is 720 at 24fps for 2s...the reality is you'll never get long recording times because the camera has a buffer to deal with. 1080p wont happen.

Really, it's an upgrade for time lapsers and may have some cool other uses.

If this is the case, the soft output of the 5DmkIII compared to other cameras, as documented on many of his tests, may in fact be impossible to fix with a firmware update, at least one from canon.
That said, what they did find interesting was that the resolution of the DNGs they got from their RAW mode were way higher resolution than just the traditional h.264 video stream from Canon. Not sure if that means that Canon intentionally is crippling it, or if the h.264 encoding loses a lot of resolution, but, that could be useful for some purposes.

Of course, if you want Raw video at 2k, you'd just spend the same amount on a BMCC instead and get a much nicer workflow.

I wonder if they can feed that 'raw' DNG stuff into the h.264 compressor and get better quality out? Or if they can push it out frame by frame over the HDMI and delete each frame from the buffer afterwards so nothing would ever overflow and you could at least get an 8bit or maybe 10bit crisper image out over HDMI? It seems like it should be possible but it's hard to know the internal Canon subsystem, it might not be, or even if it is, it quite likely might require all sorts of knowledge far beyond what they have been able to hack out so far and might only be reasonably doable by Canon people with full docs and access?

I checked out the DNG file posted on eoshd.com. Each file is about 5MB. Therefore, to get 30fps, you need a sustained write bandwidth of 150MByte/s (that is 1.2Gbits/s). That will be quite challenging even for the fastest notebook SSD. A 64GB CF card, even if it were fast enough, would only store about 7 minutes of video.

Therefore your suggestion to use the HDMI out is potentially the solution. HDMI 1.0/1.2 supports a bandwidth of 4.95Gbit/s and HDMI 1.3 supports about 10Gbit/s. BTW, does anyone know which version of HDMI is supported by 5D3?

Ofcourse, I am no camera engineer. These are just rough calculations that I came up with.

Lastly, pardon my ignorance in video, doesn't the 'uncompressed HDMI' output as provided by firmware v1.2.1 mean raw? Is the ML DNG just a higher resolution raw compared to the one provided by firmware v1.2.1?

So Magic Lantern seem to have found the source of the sensor scan for video, the "file" is a 2K resolution 14bit RAW image but the actual "usable image" is about 1920x1080 pixels, the rest of the 2K file are black bars.  Even the "720p mode" is still the same sized 2K file only with a "usable image" of 1920x720 pixels.

Alex (from Magic Lantern) then threw in CHDK's Canon DNG converter to save these RAW images to card. (which I think uses the same CR2 RAW converter already in the camera but instead spits it out as a DNG rather then a CR2) each frame (or DNG "file") is about 5.09MBs for all "usable image" resolutions. (1920x1080 or 1920x720 "useable images" are in the same 2K RAW file, just with more black bars on the 720 one so they are actually the same file size)

The "frame buffer" where these images were found only allows 7.5MB/s through it so it can't write the images to the card fast enough and when the buffer is all fill up with as much as it can take it stops the video recording, at most it's getting about 50 frames, which at 24fps is about 2 seconds of video. (setting the camera's photo mode to JPEG only seems to increase the buffer's write speed, having RAW+JPEG or RAW set limits to 4.9MB/s and about 30 frames before recording stops)

HDMI won't work, Canon's HDMI out basically can't display that much detail; it's limited to 8bit, requires "debayering", 4:2:2 "sub-sampling", and needs to resize that 2K image down to 1920x1080.  Once you do all that "compressing" guess what we're left with?  Yep the 8bit 4:2:2 uncompressed (not RAW) image that Canon just gave us with this update.

The only way to get these images to card is to "compress" them before sending them through this 7.5MB/s buffer.  I don't believe the Magic Lantern team has the ability...http://diffractedmedia.blogspot.com/
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 07:15:13 AM by iP337 »

Roger Jones

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 01, 2013, 05:45:32 AM »

The only way to get these images to card is to "compress" them before sending them through this 7.5MB/s buffer.

Thats what the new black magic cameras will do, write compressed .dng. Also clipping out the interesting part of the frame would save bandwidth, no point in writing the black bars. Remains to be seen if it can compress the frames fast enough.

swldstn

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 01, 2013, 06:23:51 AM »
Ok, just completed the firmware 1.2.1 firmware update (which went fine) but I tested six authentic Canon LP-E6 batteries bought from B&H, Best Buy and Adorama. Two of the six can not be recognized. Four are recognized properly. These are not third party batteries. The all carry Canon markings and to me appear identical to the other four. I reviewed them and cannot find any differences other than the serial numbers. Tomorrow I will contact Canon CPS to understand hopefully what is going on. If the two batteries prove to be counterfeit then I'll claim Canon has a real problem that they need to step up and solve. Both worked fine in all previous firmware versions and had recognized serial numbers. I'll have to find a friends 7D or 5D II to see what they say.

Just to get my story straight I tried them yet again. Now one of the two failing batteries is being recognized. But of course I put both failing batteries in my BG-E11 at the same time.
(currently only testing in the BG-E11 and not in the body directly). Now only one failing.

So maybe there is a 1.2.2 firmware update in our near future.

GMCPhotographics

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • GMCPhotographics
« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
Well, here's the funny thing...if I use my 5DIII with a 400mm f2.8, I pop a 2x mkII and a 1.4x mkIII TC's on it...it still has full AF, albeit a little slower. That's before and after updating the firmware.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #81 on: May 01, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 01, 2013, 09:31:22 AM »
After reading about some batteries not being detected correctly, I checked all mine. All ok there. It recognised all three. :)

AlanF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 01, 2013, 09:55:13 AM »
Can I attach Canon 1.4x III and 2.0x III extenders to my Canon 70-200 f/2.8 IS II USM at the same time and still get AF at 560mm f/8, or is this crazy talk?

Also I do a lot of Live View focusing for my landscape work, and always have the focus mode in the contrast detect "Live" mode (not "Quick" or "Face" modes) and it often switches inexplicably to the "Face" mode on it's own. I don't know if they are the correct mode names as I don't have the camera in front of me.  It's a real "phenomenon" though - phenomenally annoying as it means I can't move the focus rectangle to where it needs to be! Anyone else get that?

-Gcon

It would be a miracle - the series III TCs cannot physically be stacked. 
5D III, 70D, Powershot SX50, 300/2.8 II, 1.4xTC III, 2xTC III, 70-200/4 IS, 24-105, 15-85, Sigma 10-20, Tamron 150-600.

jabbott

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2013, 09:56:44 AM »
So maybe there is a 1.2.2 firmware update in our near future.
Or in another six months...  grumble grumble

eos650

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 01, 2013, 10:30:30 AM »

-Gcon

Do you by chance have orientation base focus set? I don't know if/how that function might effect the live view focus mode, if at all, but it's worth considering. Another thing to consider is if you are using one of the custom modes (C1, C2, C3), it could be changing you focus mode, when you switch to or from these settings.

markojakatri

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
    • Marko & Katri Photography
« Reply #86 on: May 01, 2013, 10:49:58 AM »
I have noticed a very useful way to use Tv in low light situations. If I set Safety shift to ISO, I'm able to balance flash to available light. I can set iso as 100 and shutter speed as I want. In low light I would use big appertures anyways, so its okay if camera will set it itself. Now if that shutter speed isn't possible with maximum aperture and iso 100, camera will raise iso. That's very cool feature and I wish Av would work same way if I use minimum shutter speed in auto iso menu. It works perfectly without flash, but with flash its fixed to iso400.

Anyways, could some one test how Tv+safety shift+flash works in new firmware. Just to be sure I'm able to use this nice feature in future too.

djh901

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
5D MARK III 1.2.1 FIRMWARE AND BATTERY CONNECTION PROBLEMS
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »
I noticed after the firmware install 1.2.1 that my 5D3's are now having issues with the batteries  and the camera is sending out this notice--- "lost communications with the battery" it does this with 3rd party and Canon stock battery's as well.  I do use the Canon Camera Grip which hold 2 batteries ---never had any problem with regular or 3rd party batteries with the original firmware in the 5D3---
anyone notice this problem.  I did advise Canon Professional Services.   ???

canon rumors FORUM

5D MARK III 1.2.1 FIRMWARE AND BATTERY CONNECTION PROBLEMS
« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2013, 11:16:57 AM »

jrista

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
  • POTATO
    • View Profile
    • Nature Photography
« Reply #88 on: May 01, 2013, 12:17:54 PM »
Does anyone know if the f/8 center point support works in Expansion or Zone modes? I'm curious if this f/8 AF support is as good as the 1D X, or if it is literally JUST the center point in single-point mode. Thanks!
My Photography
Current Gear: Canon 5D III | Canon 7D | Canon EF 600mm f/4 L IS II | EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS | EF 16-35mm f/2.8 L | EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro | 50mm f/1.4
New Gear List: SBIG STT-8300M | Canon EF 300mm f/2.8 L II

Mt Spokane Photography

• Canon EF 600mm f/4L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »
Does anyone know if the f/8 center point support works in Expansion or Zone modes? I'm curious if this f/8 AF support is as good as the 1D X, or if it is literally JUST the center point in single-point mode. Thanks!
The camera automatically limits you to the center point and surrounding 4 assist points either spot or non spot mode.  With a TC attached, those are the only options available to you.

I'd guess that this is to prevent user issues from those who try to use points that won't work.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #89 on: May 01, 2013, 12:30:30 PM »