July 29, 2014, 04:49:50 AM

Author Topic: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download  (Read 29459 times)

rpt

• Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
  • Could not wait for 7D2 so I got the 5D3
    • View Profile
Re: EOS 5D Mark III Firmware 1.2.1 Available for Download
« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »
Quick question for anyone:

How long did the firmware upgrade take?

thx

Updated just now ... took 4 mins 10 seconds using the CF card. SD may be slower.
Bah! These accountants! Expecting light to travel at a constant velocity!

I couldn't help it, neither could you ;D ;D ;D

Cheers ... J.R.
Ha Ha Ha! Obviously you were an engineer in all of your previous births. All photographers (who capture particles traveling at a constant velocity) are...
 ;)

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #120 on: May 05, 2013, 01:58:31 PM »

VirtualRain

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2013, 08:08:22 PM »
Has anyone had Eye-Fi problems since updating their firmware?

My camera will no longer activate my Eye-Fi card when I "enable it" in the menu.  It's not working but I don't know whether it's the new firmware or the card is just bad since I haven't used the Eye-fi wireless in awhile.

EDIT:  Never mind, I got it working.  It turns out that the firmware update changed playback of my dual cards to use the CF card which means images I lock as a flag to selective transfer via Eye-Fi wasn't getting recognized and thus the card didn't think there was any images to transfer.  Changing the playback card to the Eye-Fi card fixed this.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2013, 09:16:59 PM by VirtualRain »
Canon 5D Mark III, 35L, 85L, 24-105L, 70-300L

jaayres20

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
    • Joshua Ayres Photography
« Reply #122 on: May 07, 2013, 04:38:36 PM »
I just used both of my 5D3s at a wedding last Saturday and they both have the firmware update.  I shot 2,700 pictures with at least 1000 being in a very dark fast moving reception and I nailed just about every shot I took.  There is a huge difference in the focus speed with the AF assist beam now.  It once caused the focus to slow way down and now it speeds it up drastically.  My 50mm 1.2 used to say in my bag because it would simply not focus in the dark.  I used the heck out of it and shot at 1.2 most of the time with most being keepers.  When I use the 24-70 f/2.8L II, I feel like I am cheating because it focuses on whatever I want instantly.  I am very happy!

JonAustin

• EOS M2
  • Telecom/IT consultant / periodic pro photog
    • View Profile
    • Austin & Austin Professional Services
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2013, 07:51:23 PM »
I just used both of my 5D3s at a wedding last Saturday and they both have the firmware update.  I shot 2,700 pictures with at least 1000 being in a very dark fast moving reception and I nailed just about every shot I took.  There is a huge difference in the focus speed with the AF assist beam now.  It once caused the focus to slow way down and now it speeds it up drastically.

That's great news, thanks for sharing!

I had a big photo shoot a couple of weeks ago (school yearbook portraits), using my 5D3 with the older 1.1.3 firmware, with an EF 100mm f/2.8L IS macro (tripod-mounted / IS off). I was using a four Speedlite setup (all 600EX-RT's), with the master in the hotshoe (non-firing), two more aimed into umbrellas and one illuminating the backdrop. I was running the camera from my laptop using the latest version of EOS Utility.

The room was otherwise dimly lit; a situation over which I had no control. The slowness of achieving AF was quite frustrating, but I just dealt with it and muddled through. I haven't had a chance to try out a similar setup since the firmware update, but am eager to do so.

On a positive note (somewhat off-topic), the ability to setup the 600EX-RTs without regard to line-of-sight to the master, and to tweak individual Speedlite output via the EOS Utility are fantastic!
Photographic equipment

chrispysmithusa1

• SX50 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 11, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
Ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb right now.  ???-I went to the Canon website to load the new firmware to my computer. The only thing coming up an update procedure PDF. Is the firmware hiding in there somewhere. Help would be appreciated:) Thanks in advance!

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 11, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
That didn't happen because of the fw update.  It's a long standing bug.  When you remove a card and close the door the camera ignores your settings and reverts to the card that's still there.  EVEN WHEN THE POWER IS OFF.  You then have to go back and set all of your card settings again.  If you take a card out and leave the door open, then reinsert the card, the settings will be retained.

Has anyone had Eye-Fi problems since updating their firmware?

My camera will no longer activate my Eye-Fi card when I "enable it" in the menu.  It's not working but I don't know whether it's the new firmware or the card is just bad since I haven't used the Eye-fi wireless in awhile.

EDIT:  Never mind, I got it working.  It turns out that the firmware update changed playback of my dual cards to use the CF card which means images I lock as a flag to selective transfer via Eye-Fi wasn't getting recognized and thus the card didn't think there was any images to transfer.  Changing the playback card to the Eye-Fi card fixed this.

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »
Ok, I'm feeling pretty dumb right now.  ???-I went to the Canon website to load the new firmware to my computer. The only thing coming up an update procedure PDF. Is the firmware hiding in there somewhere. Help would be appreciated:) Thanks in advance!

So go here:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware
In the first drop list select the OS.
In the next drop list select the version

Next click the Firmware link below.

Now under "File Description" you will see "EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.1 [<Operating system>]".
Click it.

That will lead to a Disclaimer and an End User License Agreement and a button that reads "I Agree - Begin Download" (I would not have capitalized "A", "B" and "D" - but then that is me...). Click it to download the firmware.

Hope this helps.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #126 on: May 11, 2013, 12:53:55 PM »

cayenne

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: May 11, 2013, 01:13:09 PM »

So go here:
http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_5d_mark_iii#DriversAndSoftware

Now under "File Description" you will see "EOS 5D Mark III Firmware Version 1.2.1 [<Operating system>]".
Click it.

That will lead to a Disclaimer and an End User License Agreement and a button that reads "I Agree - Begin Download" (I would not have capitalized "A", "B" and "D" - but then that is me...). Click it to download the firmware.

Hope this helps.

Ok, I know this sounds boneheaded.....
I've found the firmware update to download, but I don't see the instructions there on HOW to install the firmware safely on the camera...?

Am I missing the link there on this?

Thanks,

cayenne

readycool

• Power Shot G16
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 11, 2013, 01:38:51 PM »
Instructions are in same zip file as firmware (just in separate folder)

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 11, 2013, 04:30:31 PM »
You can do it using the EOS Utility or you can simply copy the .FIR file to the root directory on your SD or CF card.  Then press Menu on the camera and go to the Firmware option.  You can upgrade from there.  Also dont forget to remove the FIR file or format your card.

So go here:

Click it.

Hope this helps.

I've found the firmware update to download, but I don't see the instructions there on HOW to install the firmware safely on the camera...?

Thanks,

cayenne

rpt

• View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 11, 2013, 04:35:17 PM »
You can do it using the EOS Utility or you can simply copy the .FIR file to the root directory on your SD or CF card.  Then press Menu on the camera and go to the Firmware option.  You can upgrade from there.  Also dont forget to remove the FIR file or format your card.

So go here:

Click it.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

cayenne

East Wind and readycool are both right. Looks like it is best you unzip the file and look in the folder. There are instructions in 5 languages. Take your pick...

smithy

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 11, 2013, 09:02:19 PM »
Interesting. I just tried my 70-200 Mk II 2.8 with my YN622c output AF assist trigger and it's definitely faster too. Used to get focus lock confirmation in 1 to 1.5 second range in a totally dark room, now it's half a second or so.

My 24-70 Mk II 2.8 is a bit faster as well. Previously locked in the .5 to 1 second range (usually closer to the half second, now it's in the bit less than half a second range.

Both of them, in short, feel snappier - the 70-200 more than the 24-70 - when using the YN622c AF assist beam capability.
+1

I jumped in the deep end the other day and did a shoot using my FW 1.2.1 5D3 with YN622c/YN568EX (plus two studio strobes), and it worked really, really well.  My 24-70 (Mark I) 'seemed' to focus faster and more reliably.  There was hardly an out-of-focus shot in the entire batch, and the shooting took place in very low light with a fast-wriggling subject.
5D Mark III, 40D, 1V.  Bunch of strobes, lenses and other bits.
They're, their, there, it's, its, too, to, than, then, you're, your.  One lens, two lenses, the lens's aperture.

archiea

• Rebel SL1
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »
I just talked to CPS Hollywood the other day and got into a conversation about what 3rd party accessories I should get, and they warned me not to use any 3rd party batteries because they might blow up in camera, I told them I've been using Canon DSLRs with only 3rd party batteries for about 10 years and not only have I never had that happen but I've also never heard about it either but the lady insisted that they have seen it...

I don't mean to be an alarmist but now with this extra warning in camera about 3rd party batteries and the fact they tweaked the camera to misread some chipped 3rd party batteries I can't help to wonder if they did something that might make this happen :/  like no longer restricting something on the higher capacity aftermarket battery. I've had batteries from other stuff blow up on me before (an Apple Macbook, an Avid portable M-Audio recorder and a few cellphones) they just bloat up and no longer work.

This is probably just some marketing trick to scare me into giving them more money but I wouldn't surprised. (who the hell is running Canon now a days anyway?)

I think its part alarmist, part reality. Canon can't QC third party battery manufacturers.  While I'm sure a quality 3rd party battery vendor wouldn't put out a failing product, thats not stopping some cheap knock off vendor from providing batteries for canons and users purchasing them.  All it takes is one battery failure and canon is correct in their assessment.  And considering all the battery options I see on ebay, I see it more a likelihood that a user would buy one just to save a few bucks.

If you are going to spend $3K on a camera, a $70 battery is part of the cost of doing business.  Playing lottery with a microprocessor controlled power source is a risk.

If I put out a pro product, I'd definitely put out a boilerplate statement about using OEM accessories just to save me the pain.  Sure OEM cost more, but you are paying for reliability.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #132 on: May 11, 2013, 10:57:45 PM »

East Wind Photography

• 5D Mark III
  • EWP
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »
Could be a bit of marketing but it likely stems from the fact 1) there are a lot of counterfeit batteries out there and 2) both the counterfeit and 3rd party batteries are often made cheaply...maybe the same actual batteries just packaged and labeled differently.  Some of them burn up and melt down while charging AND once installed in the camera.

To be honest, I've never had a 3rd party battery last as long as a canon battery in both shots per charge and battery life.  You really get what you pay for.  As far as other 3rd party accessories go, I have also figured out that the canon accessories are mostly built better and have less issues.

I've stopped wasting my money and have just bought the canon accessories as that is usually where I end up anyway.

I just talked to CPS Hollywood the other day and got into a conversation about what 3rd party accessories I should get, and they warned me not to use any 3rd party batteries because they might blow up in camera, I told them I've been using Canon DSLRs with only 3rd party batteries for about 10 years and not only have I never had that happen but I've also never heard about it either but the lady insisted that they have seen it...

I don't mean to be an alarmist but now with this extra warning in camera about 3rd party batteries and the fact they tweaked the camera to misread some chipped 3rd party batteries I can't help to wonder if they did something that might make this happen :/  like no longer restricting something on the higher capacity aftermarket battery. I've had batteries from other stuff blow up on me before (an Apple Macbook, an Avid portable M-Audio recorder and a few cellphones) they just bloat up and no longer work.

This is probably just some marketing trick to scare me into giving them more money but I wouldn't surprised. (who the hell is running Canon now a days anyway?)

I think its part alarmist, part reality. Canon can't QC third party battery manufacturers.  While I'm sure a quality 3rd party battery vendor wouldn't put out a failing product, thats not stopping some cheap knock off vendor from providing batteries for canons and users purchasing them.  All it takes is one battery failure and canon is correct in their assessment.  And considering all the battery options I see on ebay, I see it more a likelihood that a user would buy one just to save a few bucks.

If you are going to spend $3K on a camera, a $70 battery is part of the cost of doing business.  Playing lottery with a microprocessor controlled power source is a risk.

If I put out a pro product, I'd definitely put out a boilerplate statement about using OEM accessories just to save me the pain.  Sure OEM cost more, but you are paying for reliability.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #133 on: May 12, 2013, 09:59:22 AM »