August 30, 2014, 04:14:36 PM

Author Topic: Looking for an Mirorrless or Compact for climbing/high altitude hiking  (Read 3854 times)

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
EOS 100D/SL1 + Sigma 8-16 DC HSM ?
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM

AprilForever

• 5D Mark III
    • View Profile
    • AprilForever.com

Actually too wide to be usefull in most instances...
What is truth?

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr

Actually too wide to be usefull in most instances...

It may be so + I forgot that sigma 8-16mm isn't a filter-friendly lens :D, which is one of the OP's preferences. Then it must be EF-S 15-85IS USM
FF + primes !

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Are you backpacking/tru-hiking or rock climbing?  If you are, why not spend your budget on making your other gear ultra-light (tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad, etc.)  That's what I did and got an F-stop Tilopa bag to put everything.  I have the medium ICU and it fits 5DmkIII, 16-35mm, 24-70mm, 70-300L, Lee filters, additional 3 LP-E6 batteries plus charger, intervalometer.  The pack is 48-liter and I can bring enough gear and supplies for a 5 day traverse.  My base weight is around 17lbs.
I own the Satori exp. With the mediom and large icu. But I use an Deuter hiking backpack aircontact pro 75. It is the best solution for this trip, as our guide tells us. I have to carry a lot of equipment, including medical equipment too. So the space for my camera equipment ist not big. A cam with one lens willl be maximum.

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Note, I would recommend against using/taking a DSLR because you will want to have it attached to various buckles, etc, so that in the event that you slip, tip, etc, that the camera doesn't end up in a ravine. And similarly, you don't want it on a long lead where it will swing and smash into the side of the mountain.

My mountain kit is a 70-200 on a 7D, and a 24-105 on a 5D mkII (formerly 5D mk I... I like the 7D better, but canon does not make a 16-85 f2.5....)

I keep the one in a Toploader, and the other on my side on an r-strap. If it gets dicey, it can go in my backpack. This combo would work pretty well for most Kilimanjaro stuff, from what I have read of the routes; they're not too technical... This combo might be a bit heavy for Kili, but with proper acclimitization, not too bad. Comparatively,  Kilimanjaro is not too high... You should be fine with a light SLR, if you are in good shape. A lot of people hump an SLR up Everest (check the blogs...)!!!

On hiking I use the f-stop Satori exp or my click elite contrejour 40 (the side release ist very fine). On walking with my family, I often take an normal deuter backpack with an front release and one of my f-stop ICUs.
Normally, I take my 60D (former: 7D, former-former: 5D) the 12-24 Tokina, 28-70 2.8 Canon, and 35mm 1.4. In special situations the 70-200 2.8 IS.

But in this Special situation I have to reduce the euqipment. "Reduce to maximum"... Maybe an 100D with the 16-35 2.8...
I am not confident which combination to take.

(Sorry for poor english, my diffuse axional laesion brought me back to grammar school.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2013, 05:00:56 PM by xps »

xps

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
Disappointed by the "artifically" looking (to much contrast, noise,...) IQ of the testes 100D, I check the  Olympus OM-D and  Sony NEX-7 in the next two weeks...

ecka

• 6D
  • Size matters ;)
    • View Profile
    • flickr
Disappointed by the "artifically" looking (to much contrast, noise,...) IQ of the testes 100D, I check the  Olympus OM-D and  Sony NEX-7 in the next two weeks...

I don't think that 100D IQ is noticeably different from 60D or any other camera that shares the same/similar sensor. I don't know what tests are you talking about, but I strongly advise against judging cameras by their default JPEG settings, which are mostly represented by the early samples floating around. IMHO, every "IQ-hungry" person should be shooting RAW and getting the desired result in post. From my experience, no camera can produce an image which mirrors reality. Human vision has much much wider dynamic range than any DSLR or Mirrorless. Did you try the HDR mode?
FF + primes !

canon rumors FORUM