November 25, 2014, 04:14:30 PM

Author Topic: LCD Protector  (Read 3228 times)

RGF

• 1D X
  • How you relate to the issue, is the issue.
    • View Profile
LCD Protector
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »
Reading previous threads there seems to be a reluctance to use screen protectors.  I find that my rear LCD screen has smudges on it - in the upper left corner where my nose presses against the screen.  And occasionally I find a small scratch on the LCD (okay, the screen protector on the LCD screen).

There are 2 types of screen protectors - film and glass.  The film is available for the 1DX while the glass is not (at least not at B&H). 

Any other recommendations?

canon rumors FORUM

LCD Protector
« on: May 01, 2013, 01:38:32 AM »

barracuda

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
Re: LCD Protector
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2013, 04:06:12 AM »
Reading previous threads there seems to be a reluctance to use screen protectors.  I find that my rear LCD screen has smudges on it - in the upper left corner where my nose presses against the screen.  And occasionally I find a small scratch on the LCD (okay, the screen protector on the LCD screen).

There are 2 types of screen protectors - film and glass.  The film is available for the 1DX while the glass is not (at least not at B&H). 

Any other recommendations?
I use AEGIS glass screen protectors made by Giottos. Looks like there's one for the 1DX:

http://www.amazon.com/Giottos-Screen-Protector-Digital-Cameras/dp/B00B1WAZ8S
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/889602-REG/Giottos_sp8320_AEGIS_Pro_Glass_Screen.html
5D3, 5D2, 6D, 60Da, T4i, SL1, EOS M, G15, G11 converted to 720nm infrared, Powershot S100, Sony RX100, and lots of lenses.

nda

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2013, 05:41:28 AM »
I have used glass and film, I prefer film from these guys(link below)>>> they are thin you can hardly notice it's on   easy applied and removed, cheap and they protect all LCD's(main back, small back(1d) and top.

http://www.protectionfilms24.com/
canon stuff...

CanadianInvestor

• PowerShot G1 X II
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2013, 06:44:23 AM »
It's a matter of personal preference, I guess.  I use the glass version since, once I apply it, I want to forget it is even there.  With film-type, you run the risk of having to replace it every so often. 

Jackson_Bill

• Canon 70D
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
It looks like Giottos doesn't make one for the 7D. Does anyone have experience with Vello?

Dylan777

• Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS II
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2013, 09:21:02 AM »
Body: 1DX -- 5D III
Zoom: 16-35L f4 IS -- 24-70L II -- 70-200L f2.8 IS II
Prime: 40mm -- 85L II -- 135L -- 200L f2 IS -- 400L f2.8 IS II

YeahLindsey

• SX60 HS
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »
Just be careful if you do buy glass, that you don't buy a terribly "cheap" one. 

I made that mistake - in addition to at least one other mistake  8).

Here's what I picked up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EVPZJQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After installing my glass screen protector on a 5D Mark II, I managed to crack it and cut my thumb at the same time just a couple weeks later!

I was simply pushing the body into a neoprene case, and that pressure was enough to crack the inexpensive glass. 

Of course, the glass was not tempered, and cracked into what seemed like a hundred small pieces – all of which were stuck to the camera! 

Fortunately, the camera was not damaged – but obviously a frustrating experience.

I'll go film protectors from here on out. 

Ps. I was traveling when the protector broke.  I ended up buying a film protector for a smart phone and cutting it to size.  That was months ago and it's still holding up great!

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2013, 10:06:08 AM »

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 11:24:54 AM »
Just be careful if you do buy glass, that you don't buy a terribly "cheap" one. 

I made that mistake - in addition to at least one other mistake  8).

Here's what I picked up: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005EVPZJQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After installing my glass screen protector on a 5D Mark II, I managed to crack it and cut my thumb at the same time just a couple weeks later!

I was simply pushing the body into a neoprene case, and that pressure was enough to crack the inexpensive glass. 

Of course, the glass was not tempered, and cracked into what seemed like a hundred small pieces – all of which were stuck to the camera! 

Fortunately, the camera was not damaged – but obviously a frustrating experience.

I'll go film protectors from here on out. 

Ps. I was traveling when the protector broke.  I ended up buying a film protector for a smart phone and cutting it to size.  That was months ago and it's still holding up great!

I can understand the frustration of a shattered glass protector - of course exactly at the wrong time.  Thanks for the idea of a cutting a phone protector to size

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2013, 11:37:07 AM »
How about no protection at all?   I tried a screen protector a few years ago and didn't like it.   Once I found out how inexpensive it was to have it replaced by Canon Service I pulled it off.  I prefer a clear bright screen.    It would be nice if Canon made the screen user replaceable. 

RGF

• 1D X
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2013, 01:15:11 PM »
How about no protection at all?   I tried a screen protector a few years ago and didn't like it.   Once I found out how inexpensive it was to have it replaced by Canon Service I pulled it off.  I prefer a clear bright screen.    It would be nice if Canon made the screen user replaceable.

Do you remember the cost?  If I send the camera in for cleaning, the shipping is already paid.  Otherwise I shipping can add $40-60 to the cost.

RC

• Canon 7D MK II
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »

Do you remember the cost?  If I send the camera in for cleaning, the shipping is already paid.  Otherwise I shipping can add $40-60 to the cost.
I do not recall, it was here on CR that someone posted the cost.  If you call CS, they should be able to give you a price over the phone if its just the protective cover and not the actual LCD. 

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »