September 01, 2014, 04:44:23 AM

Author Topic: Canon 85L II AF speed on 5D III???  (Read 13680 times)

risc32

• 6D
    • View Profile
Re: Canon 85L II AF speed on 5D III???
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »
i've read and seen photos http://www.wlcastleman.com/equip/reviews/85mm/index.htm showing the v2 better at retaining contrast while shooting into a light source and dealing with flare, and to focus about 2x as fast as the v1. That V1 really must be slow.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 08:20:34 PM »

ashmadux

• Rebel T5i
  • Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
    • View Profile
    • Edward Ofori Photography
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 11:19:46 PM »
To all 5D III owners,
How do you like the AF speed of Canon 85L II on your 5D III?

I'm thinking adding this lens to my gear.

Thank you,
Dylan

Thanks everyone for your feedbacks. I heard the AF speed on non-L version is faster. I wonder the sharpness(wide open), color and contrast?

I'm not worry about weather or dust resistance at all.

I would try the sigma 85 1.4 instead.

The 85 1.8 was my first true lens, years ago...but that was before my purchase of a 24-105 and the gorgeous 70-200 2.8. I basically stopped using it.

I recently picked it back up- its a dream to carry, and the AF is super quick. However, the incredible amount of purple and green aberration makes me want to dump it. The 85 1/8 images do not have the awesome, controlled character of other L lenses.

Looking at my last set of portraits with it, i noticed that in post, im fighting against the thin, purplish images it creates. Also, Im finding that I dont like 85mm...My best portrait work is in the 110-200 range. green rings around bokeh circles...yuck.

skip it
Be the best you, screw everything else.

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2013, 12:12:56 PM »
I accomplish this by ensuring the camera is powered off, then throwing the lens into manual focus and focusing it to MFD, then back to auto focusing, turning the camera off, and detaching the lens (if i'm removing it).  Seems there could be a better way of accomplishing this.

HOWEVER, if that's my only (mechanical) complaint about the lens, then I'd say that's a +1 for purchasing it.

Why do you switch from AF to MF and back?  The 85L has full time manual focus, you just need to spin the focus ring to retract the front element before powering off the camera.

Love my 85L. It does focus faster on my 1D X than on my previous non-1-series bodies.

Impatience, perhaps?  Though my 85 won't engage manual focus, even after spinning it.  My point was if that's my only complaint, it's a very small one and that the 85 is a wonderful lens.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

ahab1372

• 7D
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2013, 12:40:02 PM »
Impatience, perhaps?  Though my 85 won't engage manual focus, even after spinning it.  My point was if that's my only complaint, it's a very small one and that the 85 is a wonderful lens.
AFAIK the camera has to be on for the manual focus of the 85L II to engage. In other words, you need to set it to MDF before you turn the camera off.

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2013, 12:59:22 PM »
AFAIK the camera has to be on for the manual focus of the 85L II to engage. In other words, you need to set it to MDF before you turn the camera off.

Exactly. The electronic manual focus needs power from the camera to work (the new STM lenses do, too).  But there's no need to touch the AF/MF switch, you should be able to just spin the ring.  On newer bodies, EMF can be disabled in the menus, but it's on by default.
EOS 1D X, EOS M, and lots of lenses

pierceography

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2013, 01:12:30 PM »

Right, manual focus works fine when the camera is powered on and the lens is in manual... which was exactly what I had stated in my original post.  My point was that this is the process I have to take to retract the front element before removing the lens and storing it.  I realize you can spin the focus ring to engage MF, but I usually just flip the switch out of force of habit.
5D mark III, 7D, Sigma 12-24mm II, TS-E 24mm f/3.5L II, 24-70mm f/2.8L II, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, Sigma 50mm f/1.4, 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, 85mm f/1.2L II, 100mm f/2.8L, 135mm f/2L, 2x TC III

alexturton

• EOS M2
  • I shoot what i find interesting; nothing else
    • View Profile
    • My flickr
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »
I've had my 85 1.2 about a month now. (On 5d3)

Generally going from close to infinity takes ages and is too slow for street work.

However going from 3m to infinity is actually pretty snappy. So prefocusing is key.

I've had reasonable success tracking some pigeons in flight, although admittedly it was slow at initially locking on.
Bodies: 5d mk iii, 60d
Primes: 24L 1.4, Sigma 35 1.4, 40 pancake, 50L 1.2, 85L 1.2 ii, 8mm fisheye, lensbaby, 100L macro.
Zooms: 16-35 2.8 ii, 24-70 2.8 ii, 70-200 2.8 is ii, 120-400

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 01:16:28 PM »

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
  • Shoot first ask questions later
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 01:19:41 PM »
When my camera is set to AP and turned on but I am not pressing the shutter button halfway (so AF is not active), turning the focusing ring does not move the focusing element.  Only when I press the shutter halfway (thus enabling the AF) will turning the ring manually actually make the focusing element move.  Is this how it is supposed to act?  In other words when the camera is set to AF but the auto focus is not engaged (shutter not pushed half way down) should turning the focus ring move the focusing element and change focus?
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 01:55:29 PM »
I do not need to half-press the shutter (which is just meteting start for me) or press AF-ON to manually focus my 85L - if the camera is on, turning the ring focuses the lens (turning it doesn't wake the camera from sleep).  The 40/2.8 STM is different - a couple of seconds after the metering times out, the focus ring goes dead even though the camera is awake - for that lens, I need to half-press the shutter or press AF-ON to 'wake up' the AF motor.

Chosenbydestiny

• EOS M2
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 02:24:48 PM »
Oddly enough, 85L II seems to focus faster on my old 1D mark III outdoors than it does on 5D mark III. However, it is more accurate on the 5D mark III. No tests to prove it but it's my gut instinct saying it's still slow as molasses no matter what body it's on, lol. The lens is just too specialized for me to justify the price, so I sold it to a friend and just borrow it on a rare occasion.
Nikon electric fan, gas stove, and slippers. Canon Elan 7, 1D Mark III, 5D mark III, and 2x6D. Canon 24mm Samyang/Rokinon, 85L, 135L, and many other lenses. 2x Canon 580ex II, third party speedlites, studio strobes

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 02:58:00 PM »
Oddly enough, 85L II seems to focus faster on my old 1D mark III outdoors than it does on 5D mark III.

Not odd, the 1-series bodies have a higher voltage battery which drives the AF motor faster in some lenses.

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 03:08:36 PM »
I do not need to half-press the shutter (which is just meteting start for me) or press AF-ON to manually focus my 85L - if the camera is on, turning the ring focuses the lens (turning it doesn't wake the camera from sleep).  The 40/2.8 STM is different - a couple of seconds after the metering times out, the focus ring goes dead even though the camera is awake - for that lens, I need to half-press the shutter or press AF-ON to 'wake up' the AF motor.

I'll have to check my lens when I get home, but I was pretty sure my wasn't focusing when I turned the focus rings.  I think I remember reading somewhere that there is a way to turn off electrical manual focus on the 5D mark III so maybe I just need to check my settings.  I will check when I get home and see. 
Canon 5D Mark III, 85 1.2 II, 70-200 2.8 IS II, 16-35 2.8 II, 50 1.4, 40mm pancake www.paulandsunny.blogspot.com

neuroanatomist

• CR GEEK
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »
It's in one of the AF menus, second or third, I think. I have mine on the first setting.

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 03:28:44 PM »

Pinchers of Peril

• Rebel T5i
    • View Profile
    • PS Photography
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 04:27:55 PM »
It's in one of the AF menus, second or third, I think. I have mine on the first setting.

Thanks neuro, I'll check my menu when I get home.  I looked up the user's manual online and it says there are three options for USM lens electronic MF:

Option 1. ON: Enable after One-shot AF= After AF operates, if you keep pressing the shutter button, you can focus manually.

Option 2. OFF: Disable after One-shot AF= After AF operates, manual focusing is disable

Option 3. OFF: Disable in AF mode= When the lens' focus mode switch is set to (AF), manual focusing is disabled.

Reading the manual makes it also seem like you have to keep the shutter button (or in your case the back focus botton) pressed to manual focus while the lens is set to (AF).  Again, maybe I am just reading it wrong.  Not to doubt you, but you are sure that if you just turn your camera on, don't press any bottons and turn the focus ring on the lens while set to (AF) that it will manual focus?  I just want to make sure there is nothing wrong with my lens, or yours for that matter  ;)

infared

• 1D Mark IV
  • Kodak Brownie!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »
Dylan... I love the beast...but it isn't for everyone.  It's slow to focus...but that is not what the lens is about. It creates dreamy images with bokeh that I cannot get from my other lenses (see list below). It definitely has a "look". You will need a copy of LR to de-fringe the CA...but that is common with most large-aperture lenses when used wide open. If you want fast focus..in any way...this is not the lens for you.  I would have to say mine is very accurate to focus. The focusing ring is a bit sloppy, and spinny...etc...
I love the images that come from the beast...It is a lot of money...and many do not have the patience for working with it to get the illusive images..but when you nail it down...nothing else will give you the look that this lens is capable of....
My advice would be to get one with a 30-day return policy..patiently try it out and get the feel for it and see if it is for you.......I really love mine. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2013, 06:27:28 PM by infared »
5D Mark III, Canon 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye, Canon 17mm f/4L TS-E, Canon 16-35mm f/4L IS, 21mm f/2.8 Zeiss, Sigma 35mm f/1.4, 24-70mm f/2.8 II, 50mm f/1.4 Sigma, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro,70-200mm f/2.8L IS II...1.4x converter III, and some other stuff.....

canon rumors FORUM

« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 05:37:21 PM »